Solo Travelers on Princess

BassettMom

I was wondering about other solo travelers' experiences on Princess. I went on my first cruise last year with HAL and had a great time. There was a solo travelers luncheon the day after embarkation and I met several other widows traveling solo.

I'm booked on my first Princess cruise on the Sapphire in April and wondered if Princess does anything for solo travelers?

Also, I was charged 200% for this cruise and wondered if the solo supplement on Princess is always 200% or does it change from cruise to cruise depending on demand? (My HAL cruise I was charged 150%, but I've heard so much about Princess from my parents, that I decided I wanted to try a Princess cruise despite the higher solo supplement.)

Any words of wisdom from other Princess solo travelers?

I did two solo cruises last year, on the Caribbean and Crown Princess ships, and had a blast. Paid 200% for my room, so I waited until the prices dropped veddy veddy low before I booked. There was nothing special for single travelers, but I had no trouble meeting and mingling with people (especially at Crooners Bar). I have found that people are much more friendlier to you and interested in talking to you when you're alone, so it's easy to strike up conversations. Have a blast!!!

I was wondering about other solo travelers' experiences on Princess. I went on my first cruise last year with HAL and had a great time. There was a solo travelers luncheon the day after embarkation and I met several other widows traveling solo.

I'm booked on my first Princess cruise on the Sapphire in April and wondered if Princess does anything for solo travelers?

Also, I was charged 200% for this cruise and wondered if the solo supplement on Princess is always 200% or does it change from cruise to cruise depending on demand? (My HAL cruise I was charged 150%, but I've heard so much about Princess from my parents, that I decided I wanted to try a Princess cruise despite the higher solo supplement.)

Any words of wisdom from other Princess solo travelers?

I have been on two solo Princess cruises. I think Princess makes it so easy and comfy for the solo person. They do have a solo meet and greet usually on the first seaday. (I haven't been). Princess charges anywhere from 150-200%. I have never felt uncomfy being alone. Fellow passengers are usually intrigued when they find out I am solo. For dinner my TA books a 10 person because she says "I play well with others." LOL One thing about Princess is their passengers are usually a bit older than some of the cruise lines and I think that really helps. I think you will like traveling solo on Princess.

I've traveled solo on Princess. Most ships do have a singles meet & greet, but I've never gone. I recommend that you sign up for the Cruise Critic roll call for your cruise. You will meet a lot of people there before you leave. The roll call usually has, at minimum, a meet & greet and then sometimes they plan other activities. I've met some really wonderful people from roll calls. I've always been treated well by Princess. I've paid anywhere from 130% to 200% for a cabin. Prices depend on the time of year and what category you choose. If you want a balcony you'll almost always pay 200%. If you cruise in the low season and choose an inside cabin you may get a much better deal. I've often gotten the best deals in November on the Caribbean routes with an inside cabin (hurricane season). Now, I'm kind of spoiled and want a balcony, so I end up paying more.

I am currently cruising solo on the Sapphire - I love it - did a 28 day solo last Nov. Plenty to do, there are single get-togethers (I never go tho' so don't know how they are), eating options work well, never feel uncomfortable in bars or dining rooms.

I usually pay about 160% fare, (obstructed OV)- just avoid holiday (fare will be 200%) and seven day cruises (waaay too many children) - longer cruises off season are so much more relaxing.

If you want to meet people (which doesn't interest me) your best bet by far is to be active in the roll call before you embark.

I am an elderly widow and I travel alone because my friends either have many medical problems or cannot afford the long single rate cruises that I take.Love my own cabin:)

My feelings are that I love to travel and see the way that others live.Love the sea and seeing things in this world that I never see at home.The employees mostly are all so wonderful to me .Have always felt safe on the ship and comfy. Most times I have delightful table mates usually couples.

Princess does cater mostly for couples after all I can understand it from their revenue point of view for their revenue returns.

All the cruises I have been on there is just a very small percentage of solos on the longer trips...Have found that if I wont to chat with folks one of the best places is at the speciality coffee area were I have had some very interesting conversations.

Would I ever decide not to cruise because I travel solo? That is the least worry on my mind when I set foot on board....:D

• Like 1

Even though I usually travel with friends, I cruise solo in a cabin and have for years. I go my own way and meet up for dinner. Pricing for a single in a cabin ranges from 150-180% for an inside or oceanview to 200% for a balcony, mini-suite or suite.

I join the roll call and have met many people that way. I've been to the singles meet-up a couple of times but don't any more. It's not Princess' fault but the first singles get-together I went to had just a couple of drooling old men. Literally. The second time, there were several people looking for bedmates (to put it politely) for the cruise. The roll call meet & greet is far better and sufficient since I really just want to meet people.

I've cruised completely solo and had a great time. People are generally friendly and inclusive.

Edited by Pam in CA

Even though I usually travel with friends, I cruise solo in a cabin and have for years. I go my own way and meet up for dinner. Pricing for a single in a cabin ranges from 150-180% for an inside or oceanview to 200% for a balcony, mini-suite or suite.

I join the roll call and have met many people that way. I've been to the singles meet-up a couple of times but don't any more. It's not Princess' fault but the first singles get-together I went to had just a couple of drooling old men. Literally. The second time, there were several people looking for bedmates (to put it politely) for the cruise. The roll call meet & greet is far better and sufficient since I really just want to meet people.

I've cruised completely solo and had a great time. People are generally friendly and inclusive.

Thats the reason why I never go to the singles meeting.There are a few desperate to meet a mate...They make me feel uncomfortable.:eek:

Like you thats all I wont to do just meet and have pleasant conversations with folks...:)

Edited by kruisey

If you book late, the prices are often 200% for insides and outsides also. Though, sometimes it is cheaper then booking early and paying only 150%. Percentages isn't everything - look at the bottom line.

I've sailed solo on 4 cruises on Carnival & HAL. I will be sailing solo in May on Princess. I found prices can vary and it also is based on itinerary and port of embarkation. 200% of $600 fare is a lot easier to handle then 200% for a $!,000 fare. That being said, I enjoy sailing solo, and also with my girlfriend-for different reasons. I find I can relax better, and get to do everything I want when I go alone, but, being able to share an experience is very nice too.

As with others I frequently travel solo/ have my own cabin. In 2009 Princess started giving solo passengers 2 cruise credits/cruise when you have your own cabin. None of the other cruise lines that I've cruised solo on (NCL, Royal Carib, HAL, Costa) have this type of arrangement.

So I think gradually cruise lines are realizing the economic value of solo cruisers.

Happy cruising.

I sailed solo on the Ruby last month and had a great time. I didn't attend any of the singles/solos get togethers but they did have them.

I met some really nice people the first evening, watching the Packers game on MUTS and I ended up watching the game the following Saturday with them as well. I had a late seating table for 8 and this was the biggest disappointment - only two other people showed up all week. They were a nice older couple but I would have preferred to have a completely full table.

I think I paid around 170% for the single supplement, not too bad and I got two cruise credits for the cruise. I had an "obstructed" ocean view that had almost no obstruction and found it to be much more roomy than the ocean views on Royal Caribbean.

The crew was super friendly. I'd met a few of the senior crew at the CC meet & mingle the first day and after that, the Maitre d' was like my best friend. I also made friends with one of the bar supervisors and found free glasses of wine finding their way to my dinner table :D

I loved Princess and as you can see from my signature, I've booked three more cruises with them. Two will be solo and one with my Mom.

I sailed solo on CB in December and thoroughly enjoyed myself. There were two solo meet and greets early in the cruise, but I did not attend as they conflicted with other things I wanted to do.

The roll call and meet and greet on board the ship was the best way that I met people. I asked the Maitre D to move me to a table for 8, which he did and I had great table mates.

I am not the most outgoing person and I had no problem meeting great people on the ship and on excursions.

I would have no hesitation to go solo on Princess again.

I sailed solo on CB in December and thoroughly enjoyed myself. There were two solo meet and greets early in the cruise, but I did not attend as they conflicted with other things I wanted to do.

The roll call and meet and greet on board the ship was the best way that I met people. I asked the Maitre D to move me to a table for 8, which he did and I had great table mates.

I am not the most outgoing person and I had no problem meeting great people on the ship and on excursions.

I would have no hesitation to go solo on Princess again.

You didn't exactly sail alone cdamion, you had all of us CCers along with you ;)

pam - I want to know which single events you've been to! the ones I've gone to had maybe one guy(and he brought a date!) but the free champagne more than made up for the dearth of members of the opposite sex!

:)

I travel solo all the time.

It "irks" me that I can't take as many

cruises as I want due to the fact that

I have to pay based on double occupancy.

I never understood why the cruise lines

can't offer lower fares for singles.

Even if they can't offer lower fares, why

not give us 2 cruise credits for booking

single at a double occupancy price.

I am always with friends so I don't feel

alone.

I travel solo all the time.

It "irks" me that I can't take as many

cruises as I want due to the fact that

I have to pay based on double occupancy.

I never understood why the cruise lines

can't offer lower fares for singles.

Even if they can't offer lower fares, why

not give us 2 cruise credits for booking

single at a double occupancy price.

I am always with friends so I don't feel

alone.

They do. And you get three credits if you book solo in a suite. Sweet.

pam - I want to know which single events you've been to! the ones I've gone to had maybe one guy(and he brought a date!) but the free champagne more than made up for the dearth of members of the opposite sex!
Depends on the cruise and itinerary. Many people think of them as "singles" get-togethers as opposed to solo travelers, so they show up as though the get-together is a singles bar. The champagne is nice but I could get that by stopping by the auction. :)

They do. And you get three credits if you book solo in a suite. Sweet.

Noooooo.

Can't be. The number of cruises I have

sailed solo is the same number reflected

on my Captains Circle membership.

Edited by NJRonbo

Noooooo. Can't be. The number of cruises I have sailed solo is the same number reflected on my Captains Circle membership.
Call the Captains Circle. You should receive two cruise credits for each solo cruise. The number of days or cruises isn't doubled; just the cruise credits. Edited by Pam in CA

My apologies to you both.

Looks like they changed the policy

after 2006 as my credits went from

1 per sailing to 2.

So these credits go towards moving

up the status levels, correct?

So I can get to Elite much faster as

a single cruiser than I would a couple?

No apologies necessary. They only just changed the procedure in fall 2009, if I recall correctly. So yes, now we solos now catapult up to Elite twice as fast, which is some small consolation for the excruciating 200% single supplement!

My apologies to you both.

Looks like they changed the policy after 2006 as my credits went from

1 per sailing to 2. So these credits go towards moving up the status levels, correct? So I can get to Elite much faster as a single cruiser than I would a couple?

Yes. The policy changed a few years ago and is not retroactive. Yes, you will achieve levels faster unless the number of days achieves the level first. Personally, I think the fairest system is only days, but at least the system is better than it was.