can I bring a non elite to priority boarding with us?

cruisingallover

If someone were with a large group of >6 and it is not close relatives, then what is the problem of just saying "We'll meet you all inside"? Most people will understand that you have earned some priviledges for the amount of business you've brought to the cruise line. After all, you will be separating into your respective cabins immediately after entering the ship.

Part of the reason businesses give past passenger perks is so others will see and want those priviledges as well, thus bringing more business. I can remember how good it felt the first time (and every time after) that we were able to bypass the long lines using priority boarding.

I can understand people bringing close family (or significant others) with them in the priority line, however there should be a limit to what is reasonable, and bringing large groups is abusing a priviledge, which will eventually affect us all.

Well it was all close relatives, as a matter of fact they were all there for an onboard wedding. With the additional costs for the wedding onboard, I don't see it as breaking any rules or expecting anything they weren't entitled to. It was all brothers and sisters and their families, unless that isn't a close enough family relationship. Of course the grandparents of the bride who had never sailed before should wait?

Phew!

I'm quite glad that us 'golders' can check with the 'platinums'. I would be looking a bit lost if Princess told my husband he could go through to the priority embarkation check-in but I couldn't because I'm a 'gold' member. Then again, it would look a bit daft and bit of hard work for Princess considering we're on the same booking.

I consider it terribly unfair to Platinum and Elite passengers, if groups with only 1 or 2 couples in that category, even ask or expect other members of their party should be allowed to enjoy the perks we have earned thru many cruises.

This is another one of those things Princess could solve with a simple written rule.

"Platinum and Elite cruisers are welcome to bring any persons cruising in the same stateroom with them, plus an additional one guest per person to the Platinum lounge for early embarkation. Additional guests may be permitted at the lounge manager's discretion based on occupancy and expected volume. Any children under 16 traveling on the same booking are also welcome to use the lounge when accompanied by a Platinum or Elite cruiser."

That way you know what you can do at a minimum and can plan accordingly.

I consider it terribly unfair to Platinum and Elite passengers, if groups with only 1 or 2 couples in that category, even ask or expect other members of their party should be allowed to enjoy the perks we have earned thru many cruises.

Even if the Platinum or Elite pass asked you to come with them?? Has happened to us twice and basically.. we were their guest.

I wish we had known that we could have gone with our friends. We were with a group of 8 others....7 were Elite, 1 was with the 7th and 1st time cruiser and the 2 of us that were 1st timers. We sat in the general area while they were in the Elite area. We wanted to all be in the picture when we boarded but unfortunately my husband and I didn't want to "break the rules" and maybe be singled out and told we had to leave and go to the general boarding area. By the time we boarded, our friends were already up on deck with a drink in hand lol. Never did get a picture of the 10 of us...kind of sad.

Unless it is a non-platinum/elite that is in your room then why should they get the same benefit of loyalty without paying for it? If you are in first class airline seat, do you take friends to board with you? We were not allowed to have a couple traveling with us come into the Elite disembarkation lounge. What if on a cruise there are 1,000 platinum/elites, well that could be another 1,000 or so guests. So loyalty means nothing.

I think Princess ought to board elites and suites first, then platinum, then gold then blue.

This is a lot to do about nothing. Just board at the Princess recommended time and you will not have an issue. Trying to be the first to board is always going to be a problem weather you are first timers or Elite.

I think Princess ought to board elites and suites first, then platinum, then gold then blue.

So what happens when an elite or suite comes in during platinum boarding -- do they get to jump to the head of the line? Not to mention the fact that if you start treating blues like second class citizens, that really does not make a good first impression and would give them very little incentive to want to travel on Princess again to become gold.

This is a lot to do about nothing. Just board at the Princess recommended time and you will not have an issue. Trying to be the first to board is always going to be a problem weather you are first timers or Elite.

I so agree!!! I'm platinum traveling with a group of second-time golds. They don't even know I'm platinum and I won't be mentioning priority boarding:rolleyes:!

Well it was all close relatives, as a matter of fact they were all there for an onboard wedding. With the additional costs for the wedding onboard, I don't see it as breaking any rules or expecting anything they weren't entitled to. It was all brothers and sisters and their families, unless that isn't a close enough family relationship. Of course the grandparents of the bride who had never sailed before should wait?

My SIL was married onboard and it was actually stated in her cruise wedding package papers on the boarding instruction page that "all wedding guest will have priority boarding in the Platinum Lounge upon arrival". So, I don't think they were making an exception for this group. It was part of the paid wedding package. At least it was 1 1/2 years ago when my SIL got married.

This is a lot to do about nothing.

Ain't that the truth. Don't know how often Princess let's non-platinum/elites board with platinum/elites, but I know that we have brought others along on several occasions (with my elderly aunt and/or MIL, and with some friends that I had treated to their first cruise--in both cases, I was not going to abandon them). So far, I have never encountered/noticed the platinum/elite lounge overcrowded due to too many non-platinum/elites. Until it starts to affect my experience as an elite status cruiser, I'm fine with how Princess handles it.

People who act "High and Mighty" are one of the reasons I was really leary of going on a Princess cruise. I am glad I didn't run into any our cruise and I hope I never meet any on our future Princess cruises

Just go and enjoy. I'm Platinum and have never met any of those "high and mighty" on a Princess cruise. And if you should meet one of those rare beasties, just put them on "ignore".

Actually on most airlines a group can board with the highest zone of any member. I have status, my wife does not, but they still let her get on with me.

Unless it is a non-platinum/elite that is in your room then why should they get the same benefit of loyalty without paying for it? If you are in first class airline seat, do you take friends to board with you? We were not allowed to have a couple traveling with us come into the Elite disembarkation lounge. What if on a cruise there are 1,000 platinum/elites, well that could be another 1,000 or so guests. So loyalty means nothing.

The irony of all this might be the fact that on several occasions (depending on our arrival time) we, as Elite members, took one look at the size of the preferred line and went over to the general line. We were processed well before those in "Priority".

I often find this to be the case as well.

I wouldn't want to see Princess implement a caste system which

would make the blues be dead last in the boarding process.

As another poster already stated, it would make a very bad first

impression on a new Princess cruiser.

Nobody really gives a fig if you're a Platinum or Elite or Gold or Blue.

We just went on a Royal Caribbean cruise recently, and we were the

"lowly" newbies traveling with six other people, 4 of whom had

Diamond Plus or Triple Platinum or whatever Royal calls their top tier,

status; one couple had 42 cruises with Royal and the other had

at least 30+ cruises, and we were cracking up at how seriously

some cruisers took themselves, waving their card about and delcaring

their "status" for all the world to hear.

Basically, the world at large just doesn't give a hoot.:)

So what happens when an elite or suite comes in during platinum boarding -- do they get to jump to the head of the line? Not to mention the fact that if you start treating blues like second class citizens, that really does not make a good first impression and would give them very little incentive to want to travel on Princess again to become gold.

"I disagree here, the incentive is that being loyal to Princess, "Look at what you will get." Should loyal Princess cruisers get the shaft? Once on Princess no one is treated like a second class citizen. Each passenger will get exactly what they paid for. (Maybe they should start charging for early boarding?:confused:.

The benefits we get for elite status is what keeps us from not booking on another line. And no we don't go around bragging that we are elite.

Below is the actual wording from the Princess Site:

Preferred Check-In

When you arrive at the port, don’t wait in line. If you are a Platinum Member, you and your family or guests will be invited to use the Preferred Check-In desk to help expedite your embarkation.

We travelled last year and although our booking was seperate to that of my step-son and his family as they were FAMILY this was acceptable.

Hope this clarifies the situation???

We ran into this situation prior to boarding in Southampton. We were all elite except one couple. We asked the Princess rep if there would be any problem if our blue-card friends boarded with us. Of course, there was not, except from some of the other elite passengers who quite loudly hissed, "Those people have blue cards!" when boarding started just a few minutes later.

People need to get over themselves.

We recently traveled with friends out of Los Angeles who had cruised with Princess but not as many times as we. Explained this to the attendant at the check in line and they allowed our friends to join us through the procedure of checking in and then boarding with elite passengers. It made an impression on our friends and they are now going to be loyal to Princess to be able to get this "perk"...and truly if you arrive at the pier a little later than when boarding has started there is no waiting. We also took them into the dining room for lunch!!

Archived