Can I use my ipad on the ship?

FliLady

I'm planning on taking my iPad on our next cruise in May. Normally, with everyday use I don't "logoff". I just shut the iPad off. I'm unsure of the logoff procedure while on board using this 1.1.1.1. etc. Is there a certain screen that will appear? I hate the thoughts of losing my minutes because I didn't logoff correctly.

I'm planning on taking my iPad on our next cruise in May. Normally, with everyday use I don't "logoff". I just shut the iPad off. I'm unsure of the logoff procedure while on board using this 1.1.1.1. etc. Is there a certain screen that will appear? I hate the thoughts of losing my minutes because I didn't logoff correctly.

No logoff screen will appear. Just put 1.1.1.1 in your browser address window and hit enter. You will get a message that you are being logged off and your minutes used will appear.

On the Crown last week, I could connect with the i-pad in the cabin (aft) but it would disconnect within a minute or so (max). Very disappointing. There is a disclaimer on the log-on that states if using an I-pad, you need to type logoff.com on the browser to ensure you are actually disconnected from the system. That was a bear, as every time I'd log-on, it would drop. I finally had to go to the atrium and do a log-on / off, and got the message I'd properly logged off. Evidently it's a ship by ship thing as I see in this thread others have had good connections. Could be a location issue too (at least on the Crown).

Obviously I am not great with a computer, but am trying. I have an iPad that I plan to take on next cruise. How do I disconnect from the internet once connected? My experience is that once I access the wifi system wherever I am, it connects automatically as long as I am within the area. It sounds like a great idea to just download the emails and then disconnect.

Thanks for any help.

Janet

To be absolutely sure tap settings, tap on wifi and slide the switch to the left (off).

Now you can't get wifi if you wanted to.

When you're ready to go back on just reverse the procedure.

Don't wait until you're on the cruise, try it now.

To be absolutely sure tap settings, tap on wifi and slide the switch to the left (off).

I tried it and it works just great and it is so easy. Thank you,

Janet

• 2 months later...

Well, not so fast, pardner.

I took my iPad on the Island Princess in May and it really didn't work. It would sometimes connect for less than a minute. When I could actually FIND the rather surly Internet Cafe guy, he told me sternly that iPads are not compatible with Princess WiFi setups, and it had been terminating the connections in a "bad" manner, i.e. I could be charged for continued use even though I couldn't use it. Luckily I had my Macbook Air with me.

I'm going on the Ruby in August to the Mediterranean, and guess I'll chance taking the iPad, but I will take the Air just in case.

JimBob

My iPad is WiFi only. It worked perfectly in my cabin, in Horizon Court and in Princess Theater on the Emerald Princess. I brought my Apple keyboard and typed a diary each day and checked my email when I was in my cabin. I surfed the Internet in Horizon Court and in Princess Theater. The iPad also worked great connecting to open WiFis in some harbors from my ship balcony.

You were lucky. I have a WI-Fi only IPad and mine kept droping the signal throughout the ship with the exception of being right outside or in the internet cafe.....

Bob

Thanks, I will try that. I have never logged off of my laptop in this way.

Janet

Make sure you do. Even if you turn off your computer, netbook, iPad or PDA and turn off the WiFi, your Internet account on the ship will continue to accumulate minutes. You must sign out and log off to stop the clock. Just because you're disconnected isn't enough. Edited by Pam in CA

Well, not so fast, pardner.

I took my iPad on the Island Princess in May and it really didn't work. It would sometimes connect for less than a minute. When I could actually FIND the rather surly Internet Cafe guy, he told me sternly that iPads are not compatible with Princess WiFi setups, and it had been terminating the connections in a "bad" manner, i.e. I could be charged for continued use even though I couldn't use it. Luckily I had my Macbook Air with me.

I'm going on the Ruby in August to the Mediterranean, and guess I'll chance taking the iPad, but I will take the Air just in case.

JimBob

My iPad worked fine on the Golden. However the connection was slow. We were fortunate to have a full suite so we had unlimited access at all times. I also was able to connect to SKYPE with my mother and show her around our cabin. I wouldn't have been able to use my iPad like I did had we had an Internet package.

I have not used my iPad to manage my pictures that I have taken with my camera. I would like to off load my pics from my camera to my iPad but not sure how to do this. Any help?

You need the iPad Camera Connection Kit to transfer the pictures from your camera card to the iPad. On the iPad the pictures will be in the Camera Roll (inside Photos).

When home you'll sync the iPad to your computer and transfer the pictures to the computer. On a Mac the photos would be imported in to iPhoto. And hopefully you're backing up the Mac so your data is safe from a hard drive failure.

Taking a cruise on the Ruby Princess and wonder if my Ipad is going to work with the wi fi on the ship? Would I be better off with my MacBook Pro computer instead of the Ipad?

Thanks

I proably was not clear, I am talking about using the iPad for emails etc. Last cruise on the Royal Princess we were unable to use our iPhone and the inrternet guy said they had problems connecting with the IPhone; therfiore, I was wondering if the IPad was the same?

• 10 months later...
On the Golden last cruise, the only place my hubby could get wifi in the cabin was sitting in the bathroom. :)

I was on the same cruise and had no problem getting wifi for our IPad in our cabin. It was 4 cabins from the very back of the ship with all the suites. I :cool:wondered if they had a repeater near those suites creating a stronger signal.

Just returned from an Ocean Princess cruise...

If I wanted or tried to read news sources online, it would have resulted in a humungous bill.

I probably used 500 min on a 12 day cruise.

Bob

I just got off the Golden to Hawaii and had 360 minutes. I basically rationed myself to 20 minutes per day leaving me a few extra in case I ran over. However as to your news sources.... We brought the IPad because my husband LOVES his Wall Street Journal. We have an online subscription. He already was using the WSJ app. Basically it downloads the paper in a chunk and then you can read it offline all day. The download was slow and if I chose my time right I could get most of it in about 12 minutes...leaving me 8 to download email or send responses. Occasionally the server was bogged down and I got only 2/3 of the paper. Luckily the last third is usually the videos that go along with the stories. DH didn't mind missing those as long as he could read the text. So if you like the WSJ, this is a great way to get it.

I agree this is the way to do it. Here was my process that worked every time.

1. Go to settings, enable wifi and choose princess for wifi

2. Go to your safari page and type in any website...such as google or amazon

3. A login screen will show for princess wifi...login and the clock is now counting. That login page will have a logout icon on it so it helps to not close that tab.

4. Do your email, whatever...

5. Select the tab in Safari that has the logout button. Push it and you'll get a summary of how many minutes you used. If you've closed the page with the button just type logout.com and you'll get the same results.

6. Go back to settings and turn wifi off. This allows you to use some of the stuff you downloaded without it trying to reconnect you back.

Next time start with 1 again.

I have not used my iPad to manage my pictures that I have taken with my camera. I would like to off load my pics from my camera to my iPad but not sure how to do this. Any help?

Apple sells a Camera Connectivity device. You can either connect your camera or your memory card. It works flawlessly and is very small. The upload is so fast!! Your photos get broken down into date order. Wonderful.

I love, love, love using it. $29 price tag. Worth every cent to me.

Cheers, Denise

Apple sells a Camera Connectivity device. You can either connect your camera or your memory card. It works flawlessly and is very small. The upload is so fast!! Your photos get broken down into date order. Wonderful.

I love, love, love using it. $29 price tag. Worth every cent to me.

Cheers, Denise

I'm glad to hear this. We just bought an iPad3, and we got the camera connectivity device. We haven't used it yet, but we plan to use it on our fall TA on the Emerald.