Capris in the main dining room?

Venicegal

I think it's all about the intent to clean up a little and look nice for dinner, even on casual nights. A nice,neat pair of capris with a dressy top is fine. A rumpled pair with a t shirt, not so much. We all know the difference,much as some posters like to debate it here on these boards. And contrary to a prior poster, we were on eclipse in January, and most everyone we saw was following the suggested dress code.

I am surprised to see people think capris are ok for MDR dining. Our experience on X seems to be that by in large people are dressed better than capris for dinner. Heck I just sailed on CCL and didn't see anyone in capris in the MDR and that was only a short 4 day cruise. I will bring a couple sundresses and covers and nice slacks and tops for dinner and cocktail dresses for formal nights. I'll be anxious to see what folks are wearing and will report back. Donna

hi jim and allison, we were on the mexican riviera cruise with you, remember?

i think it was mazlatan we did the tour together...nice memories...we are off on the milennium on the 8th of april. hope all is well.

Hi Mrs M --- that was a great cruise, we miss the Mercury very much! Have a great trip on the Millennium!

This is the most bizarre thread. Some of the comments must have been made in jest, if not, I've never read such pretentious remarks.

I'll be taking my first Celebrity cruise in May (my first cruise period, for that matter) and I'm seriously having thoughts that I made a mistake and perhaps this isn't for me.

I love dressing for dinner, in fact, I'm usually over-dressed for any occasion, haha! That said, I could care less what anyone else wears.....unless it's gorgeous and I need to know where you bought it! :D

This is the most bizarre thread. Some of the comments must have been made in jest, if not, I've never read such pretentious remarks.

I'll be taking my first Celebrity cruise in May (my first cruise period, for that matter) and I'm seriously having thoughts that I made a mistake and perhaps this isn't for me.

I love dressing for dinner, in fact, I'm usually over-dressed for any occasion, haha! That said, I could care less what anyone else wears.....unless it's gorgeous and I need to know where you bought it! :D

Please don't be put off by the comments on the boards. I have found most passengers on Celebrity to well bred and not snobbish. I have cancelled two Panama Canal cruises on Crystal because of the remarks on the boards.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Durberville - sometimes our posts in jest come across way too serious. It's the nature of not hearing tone of voice and seeing our expressions. That's why many use the 'smiley faces' but I dont becausea coworker use to add them to everything and drove me nuts - well, more nutsthan I am

Please join us cruising. I find the people I meet are some of the most interesting and down to earth I've ever met. Even those that come across as pretentious on these threads are, in most cases, very nice.

I cruise to, yes see places, but mainly for the ship experience and the folks with us.

Den

I was also starting to wonder if I made the right choice by sailing Celebrity.

I also tend to overdress and bring way too many clothes for 7 days. My family often teases me about this..

Who am I to even think to tell/suggest to anyone what they should or shouldn't wear. It's not going to affect my cruise in the least.

I'm relieved that the last few posts restored my excitment on my upcoming cruise on the Eclipse. There are good down to earth people on Celebrity and those boorish snobs are the exception rather than the rule.

Happy sailing

I'm probably considered one of the formal night diehards here on the X boards (at least, sometimes my name is taken in vain before I've even seen the thread!), and I see no problem with capris in the MDR on casual nights.

Do I think they are appropriate on formal nights? Not really, no matter how they are jazzed up. I don't think they fit the formal dress code at all.

I think that the comments about other cruiselines were out of line as well.

If I can wear shorts on "formal night", you can wear capri's whenever you want.

Our luggage was lost and we were without for 3days. It finally caught up with us, but for the 3 days I enjoyed shorts everywhere, including the main dining room. :):):)

My late Mother-In-Law, had a phrase that I loved:

"You can dress 'em up, but you can't take 'em out." ;):cool::D

This comment was usually directed toward consistently badly behaving children & the parents of same.

It reflected the belief that no matter how wealthy or poor you were; rude, crude, bullying manners decided if you had "class".

^^^^^^^^^^^^

We're about to embark on our first 'real' cruise. We are trying to balance the "formal dress night" requests with the fact that we are bound by luggage weight limits: that we will be traveling around after landing and be responsible for our own luggage then. We also do not wish to spend $300 + for tux rental, for me to buy a gown, shoes, etc. Therefore, DH will have a very nice navy blazer with some khaki (the color) & gray, light wool trousers, which can be worn elsewhere. He will not be able to wear the pearl tux studs which were my grandfather's, given to him by my grandmother. (sniff)

We generally have smiles on, don't chew with our mouths open, stage temper tantrums, get drunk and know how to place our used utensils on a plate to signal to a waiter, that he or she can remove the plate they are on.

We do consider sloppy manners & clothing an insult to the efforts of the chefs, cooks and wait staff, who have been trained to give forth their best manners and efforts for our enjoyment all the time, no matter how badly they might be feeling. Not to forget our fellow passengers, who also may have a headache, be recovering from some personal set back, etc.

This is fair warning to anyone about to set sail on the Constellation in May for the Trans Atlantic voyage what our standards will be: smiles :):) & (hopefully) good manners in consideration & respect of standards to the best of our ability.

YMMV

My late Mother-In-Law, had a phrase that I loved:

"You can dress 'em up, but you can't take 'em out." ;):cool::D

This comment was usually directed toward consistently badly behaving children & the parents of same.

It reflected the belief that no matter how wealthy or poor you were; rude, crude, bullying manners decided if you had "class".

^^^^^^^^^^^^

We're about to embark on our first 'real' cruise. We are trying to balance the "formal dress night" requests with the fact that we are bound by luggage weight limits: that we will be traveling around after landing and be responsible for our own luggage then. We also do not wish to spend $300 + for tux rental, for me to buy a gown, shoes, etc. Therefore, DH will have a very nice navy blazer with some khaki (the color) & gray, light wool trousers, which can be worn elsewhere. He will not be able to wear the pearl tux studs which were my grandfather's, given to him by my grandmother. (sniff)

We generally have smiles on, don't chew with our mouths open, stage temper tantrums, get drunk and know how to place our used utensils on a plate to signal to a waiter, that he or she can remove the plate they are on.

We do consider sloppy manners & clothing an insult to the efforts of the chefs, cooks and wait staff, who have been trained to give forth their best manners and efforts for our enjoyment all the time, no matter how badly they might be feeling. Not to forget our fellow passengers, who also may have a headache, be recovering from some personal set back, etc.

This is fair warning to anyone about to set sail on the Constellation in May for the Trans Atlantic voyage what our standards will be: smiles :):) & (hopefully) good manners in consideration & respect of standards to the best of our ability.

YMMV

So nicely put!

to save suitcase room, I usually take a suit, not a Tux anymore. I then can use the jacket with lighter pants as a sportsjacket on nights I want a jacket (I love pockets!), and the dark pants with regular shirts to get use out of the suit. I then either take regular shirts, but take a bowtie to dress it up some (takes less room than even a tie and gives it a 'tux-look!), and so on.

That way, I have a suit (I take a dark gray/black) that gives me options and I can 'dress it up' some by just adding the bowtie and sometimes a dressshirt with french sleeves...just depends on room needed.

I've found that it isn't the formal night stuff that takes up too much room, its the extras I bring that I didn't really need or wear for everyday/shore and so on that I can cut back on.

Just some ideas.

by the way, I don't take capris; my wife says to make up my mind - either wear shorts or pants. Now, she wears capris, but I couldn't say if she wears them to the MDR...so I guess I don't really worry about what others are wearing do I if I don't know if she is wearing them. Whatever she's wearing, she looks fantastic.

Den

Durberville - sometimes our posts in jest come across way too serious. It's the nature of not hearing tone of voice and seeing our expressions. That's why many use the 'smiley faces' but I dont becausea coworker use to add them to everything and drove me nuts - well, more nutsthan I am

Please join us cruising. I find the people I meet are some of the most interesting and down to earth I've ever met. Even those that come across as pretentious on these threads are, in most cases, very nice.

I cruise to, yes see places, but mainly for the ship experience and the folks with us.

Den

No worries Den.....I DID read your post in the tone it was delivered (I'm not THAT daft, :p haha!) My fault for not clearly indicating to whom I was referring, but my "manners" prevented me from singling anyone out. ;)

Looking forward to meeting some lovely people on my cruise....Thanks to everyone who eased my mind.

So nicely put!

to save suitcase room, I usually take a suit, not a Tux anymore. I then can use the jacket with lighter pants as a sportsjacket on nights I want a jacket (I love pockets!), and the dark pants with regular shirts to get use out of the suit. I then either take regular shirts, but take a bowtie to dress it up some (takes less room than even a tie and gives it a 'tux-look!), and so on.

That way, I have a suit (I take a dark gray/black) that gives me options and I can 'dress it up' some by just adding the bowtie and sometimes a dressshirt with french sleeves...just depends on room needed.

I've found that it isn't the formal night stuff that takes up too much room, its the extras I bring that I didn't really need or wear for everyday/shore and so on that I can cut back on.

Just some ideas.

by the way, I don't take capris; my wife says to make up my mind - either wear shorts or pants. Now, she wears capris, but I couldn't say if she wears them to the MDR...so I guess I don't really worry about what others are wearing do I if I don't know if she is wearing them. Whatever she's wearing, she looks fantastic.

Den

I have been so tempted to respond to some of the nonsense I have been reading here. (Yes, I do love to read the Nonsense posts!), but I much prefer to respond to you, Den. I cracked up when I read that you didn't realize whether or not your wife wore her capris to the MDR, but she always looks fantastic anyway!

Enjoy your cruise!

Khaki's aren't 'in'?!?! Now youre going to tell me my Leisure Suit isn't appropriate for Formal Nights....doesn't it have the word 'Suit' in it?

Message to World: few of us care what's 'in'. I quit wearing something when after 10 years, it suddenly shinks (don't tell me the truth...I can't handle the truth), or my wife stops me at the door and sends me back to change and then throws it away.

I know, there are men who actually know what's 'in', but even the 'clothes horses' still wear their favorite pants, shirts, shoes, etc, even if it's not 'in'.

By the way....'in' what?

Den

Denny01 wrote:

to save suitcase room, I usually take a suit, not a Tux anymore. I then can use the jacket with lighter pants as a sports jacket on nights I want a jacket (I love pockets!), and the dark pants with regular shirts to get use out of the suit. I then either take regular shirts, but take a bow tie to dress it up some (takes less room than even a tie and gives it a 'tux-look!), and so on.

Getting DH into a bow tie, might prove even more difficult than getting him into those antique studs - LOL! But we agree about your general, practical approach in packing and MDR dressing. And we like your sense of humor :D.

Carry on! (Yes, we do! snark )

PS to all- Sometimes labeling a post or sentence as snark, helps avoid raised hackles & misunderstandings.

Archived