Celebrity Solstice

Hi Marion we have decided to do the Barcelona - Sydney sectors instead of the Hnl one from what i can see we will only have 2 tender ports - Bali and Yorkeys in 44 nights....happy with that.......if anyone's interested in what goes on during the day i found some current Celebrity Today dailies for the Solstice at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1367107&highlight=solstice+dailies

cheers Shiona:D

Good idea, Shiona - can't complain about 2 tender ports during 44 night cruise. Should be an interesting itinerary, through the Suez Canal.

Enjoyed reading the Daily Programmes. No time to be bored on that ship!

Hello to you all from a temporarily transplanted Aussie. :D I've just found this forum for the first time, so thought I would say hello.

You are all in for a treat if you get to sail on Solstice. We sailed the Baltics last year on Eclipse, her sister ship, for 14 days and it was fantastic. Such understated grandeur and the ship is really well laid out, lots of different bars and quiet areas to explore ... and yes, they have real grass.

The area of the ship I loved most was the 2 level deck outside the buffet restaurant. It has heaps of tables and chairs and a bar so all the necessities for a relaxing afternoon.

Jo

Hello to you all from a temporarily transplanted Aussie. :D I've just found this forum for the first time, so thought I would say hello.

You are all in for a treat if you get to sail on Solstice. We sailed the Baltics last year on Eclipse, her sister ship, for 14 days and it was fantastic. Such understated grandeur and the ship is really well laid out, lots of different bars and quiet areas to explore ... and yes, they have real grass.

The area of the ship I loved most was the 2 level deck outside the buffet restaurant. It has heaps of tables and chairs and a bar so all the necessities for a relaxing afternoon.

Jo

Hello Jo. Thanks for popping in to share with us your experiences on this class ship.

As you can see, Aussies are looking forward to cruising on Solstice, as we're well overdue for some understated grandeur Down Under.

• 1 month later...

Do we know much else about the ship coming down here?

E.g. Will the dining menus be refreshed for the Aussie market or will it be left as-is? Are there any scanned menus floating about for the Solstice?

General question for anybody who has ever been on a Celebrity ship before - are wheelchair cabins automatically excluded from online booking and only available when requested or do they get offered much the same as a standard cabin? If the latter then they must sell out fast.

I ask as some members of the family were considering a cruise of Australia's top end and it would seem there is more to do on the ship itself compared to other ships doing similar itineraries like the Pacific Sun.

Are there 240v outlets in cabins (I'm assuming not)?

Are there any other CC members considering the Solstice top end cruise (incorporating Bali)?

Based on the last Celebrity ship to visit, the menus are the same when it visits Australia - but they're good imo (though have changed since then).

Disabled access cabins are held back from bookings unless you contact them and fill in the necessary documentation. However, any that are still available some months out will then be released to public access, or allocated for guarantees as need be.

Thanks - sounds logical regarding the disabled cabin availability - I'll have to get the family to enquire with an Australian travel agency as I'm sure they'd be able to reserve one.

Did you keep a record of what was on the menu's at the main dining room per chance? One member of the family is what you would call a "fussy eater". Are soft drinks expensive on Celebrity? Is there a "soda card"?

Thanks

I'm sure some will appreciate this information regarding the Celebrity Solstice..

I spoke with one of our local travel agents (Flight Centre) today and apparently they've only just started getting details about it as of last week.. Australian brochures (in $AUD) ought to be available sometime in June. I'm assuming this is when more detail will filter through such as flights/airport to wharf transfers and shore tours but this is my own speculation only.

--

The two things I'm not sure about with this ship is the main dining room food - the menu's I've seen don't look that appealing for a typical Aussie (one of the family is rather fussy!), plus the lack of a self-service laundry (it may be expensive the other way?)

Am I correct to think that all alternative restaurants/cafe's/bistros are run with a cover charge applied? This would leave just the main dining room and oceanview cafe (buffet) as the only free eating areas if so..

As far as non-alcoholic drinks go, I'm assuming passengers are able to take a small amount of their own supply on board (there was no problem doing this with P&O Australia)?

I did, but this probably gives a better idea as it covers the restaurants on Solstice: http://www.thepreismans.com/celebrity_solstice_menus.htm

Regarding soft drinks, prices are reasonable. Celebrity do have a package as well as for other drinks. Details are here, but as a guide you'd need to buy at least 4 drinks every day to make it worthwhile: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beverage/packages/summary.do?categoryId=18&pagename=beverage_packages It's US5.75/day including gratuity and is dispenser only (not cans).

I'm a typical Aussie - and the items on the menu posted by Big M look fairly "cruiseship standard " (otherwise known as Western International hotel food) to me. Remember that we use the word "Entree" different to how it is used overseas - there it mean "Mains!"

The only ships that I have been on that were in any way different were the P&O UK ships - where some very different but traditional meals were evident ( eg Liver and Onions)

Barry

Remember that we use the word "Entree" different to how it is used overseas - there it mean "Mains!"

Wow.. that's a totally headslapper on my part! When I saw the word Entree I skipped right over that section.

Thanks for stating the obvious :)

We booked her for late Feb 2013. I know it is far out but it has always been a dream trip for us to cruise Australia - New Zealand.

Plus our travel agent told us that if the world ends in Dec. 2012, we get our deposit back!;)

We hope to spend some extra days there before and after.

DDWW

• 1 month later...

Well what a fantastic cruise we had on the Celebrity Eclipse. By far the best ship we have ever been on. I normally get sea sick but this ship is just so stable you can barely feel it move. We had very rough seas through the Bay of Biscay on the way home - 6 metre waves and a 50 knot headwind - you couldn't tell you were on a ship.!! We have booked her again for July next year - Iceland and Norway. The whole ship is just so stylish and spacious. The food in the main dining room is by far the best we have ever had on any cruise line.

There are even resident pidgeons on the lawn. They are tagged and their wings are clipped although I can't imagine why they would fly away. We had one come and visit us - walked on our balcony and came in the room - had a wander around and then casually walked out. Was quite funny.

There is also very little smoking allowed which was a bonus. Just 2 spots near the pool and one small section in one of the bars.

Can't wait for next year. - mummsie

Well what a fantastic cruise we had on the Celebrity Eclipse. By far the best ship we have ever been on. I normally get sea sick but this ship is just so stable you can barely feel it move. We had very rough seas through the Bay of Biscay on the way home - 6 metre waves and a 50 knot headwind - you couldn't tell you were on a ship.!! We have booked her again for July next year - Iceland and Norway. The whole ship is just so stylish and spacious. The food in the main dining room is by far the best we have ever had on any cruise line.

There are even resident pidgeons on the lawn. They are tagged and their wings are clipped although I can't imagine why they would fly away. We had one come and visit us - walked on our balcony and came in the room - had a wander around and then casually walked out. Was quite funny.

There is also very little smoking allowed which was a bonus. Just 2 spots near the pool and one small section in one of the bars.

Can't wait for next year. - mummsie

Pleased you had a fantastic cruise on Celebrity Eclipse. Are you going to do a ship review? Is this ship similiar in size to Solstice? How many passengers?

Good to hear that there was very little smoking allowed.

Iceland and Norway next July should be a great itinerary.

Is this ship similiar in size to Solstice? How many passengers?

Celebrity Solstice was the first of a new class of ships for Celebrity.They are called the Solstice class

Solstice Class Ships

Celebrity Solstice (2008)

Celebrity Equinox (2009)

Celebrity Eclipse (2010)

Celebrity Silhouette (currently under construction)

Celebrity Reflection (will enter fleet in November 2012)

Celebrity Solstice was the first of a new class of ships for Celebrity.They are called the Solstice class

Solstice Class Ships

Celebrity Solstice (2008)

Celebrity Equinox (2009)

Celebrity Eclipse (2010)

Celebrity Silhouette (currently under construction)

Celebrity Reflection (will enter fleet in November 2012)

Thanks David.

How exciting, as Eclipse was the newest in the class.

I was a bit confused, as it was under the Solstice Thread Heading, but thought there must be a connection.

I'm looking forward to Solstice coming to Australia.

I'm looking forward to Solstice coming to Australia.

So are we.

Looking hard at the repositioning cruises coming down here.

That one from Singapore to Sydney is very tempting......

as is the Barcelona to Sydney.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Our friends have just cruised on Solstice from Barcelona. I will find out more details when they return in a couple of weeks.

I received an email that said ...wow...wow...wow... Jilly you're going to LOVE this ship.....it's stunning.....

I think that says it all.

The Mediterranean cruises on Solstice are selling very cheaply so hope we get offered good deals on her here.

It must be my turn to win the Lotto.... so many ships coming our way.

Jilly:)

• 2 months later...

Hi, first post . does anyone know when they will release dates prices etc for the Xmas 2013 sailings NZ/Aus. Haven't been on a cruise before and basically think this works good. My Daughter will be 3 years then, so will fit into more club activities I think than next year when she is only 2.

Hi, first post . does anyone know when they will release dates prices etc for the Xmas 2013 sailings NZ/Aus. Haven't been on a cruise before and basically think this works good. My Daughter will be 3 years then, so will fit into more club activities I think than next year when she is only 2.

Hi dune35,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As far as I know the itineraries are out for Solstice up to about Feb 2013. Cant help with prices, but they should be on the Celebrity web site, or call into/phone a local TA.

Heres what I could find, but do check further as being so far out they could change...

09-Dec-2012 Australia 1 Nights Solstice, Getaway Cruise ex Sydney Return

10-Dec-2012 South Pacific & New Zealand 13 Nights Solstice, Australia & New Zealand ex Sydney Return

23-Dec-2012 South Pacific & New Zealand 12 Nights Solstice, Australia & New Zealand ex Sydney to Auckland

04-Jan-2013 South Pacific & New Zealand 12 Nights Solstice, Australia & New Zealand ex Auckland to Sydney

16-Jan-2013 South Pacific & New Zealand 12 Nights Solstice, Australia & New Zealand ex Sydney to Auckland

28-Jan-2013 South Pacific & New Zealand 18 Nights Solstice, Australia & New Zealand ex Auckland to Perth (Fremantle)

15-Feb-2013 Australia 17 Nights Solstice, Australia Top End ex Perth to Sydney

We booked our Xmas 2012 sailing for Solstice whilst on Liberty this past Easter i.e. March/April 2011, and the prices had just been released. We can't wait to spend Christmas 'down under';).

Archived