Carpet Tip

regnig

For those of you 1st time Princess cruisers and those of you return cruisers who may not have noticed, on most Princess ships there are two features of the carpeting that are designed to assist passengers navigate their way around. First, at most elevator landing areas the deck number (really big numbers) has been placed in the carpet. So when the elevator stops look down rather than trying to read the small placards on the walls. Second, the carpet in the passenger cabin hallways is color coded. The carpet is red on the port side and blue on the starboard side. I was amazed at how many folks (even repeat passengers) I encountered trying to figure which way they should turn once exiting the elevators, again just look down.

I learned of the color coding on the passenger hallways only when I took a wrong turn off the elevator on our Aloha level. My 8 year old son went the correct way. I told him he was going the wrong way and he told me, "No Mom you're going the wrong way, we're on the red carpet side. Grandma and Grandpa are on the blue carpet". This was the 8th day of our 12 day cruise and I hadn't even noticed. Could have saved a lot of wrong turns a lot earlier.....

Wow - such a simple tip - but incredibly useful - Thanks for letting us know. I am pretty darn sure I would never have noticed the carpet color. I may have noticed the large numbers in front of the elevator - since I have a fear of stumbling so I look down a lot.

On Celebrity, there are large numbers on the posts of the stairways. When the door opens, you can easily see which floor you are on. It only took me a week to notice that. :o

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!

I like the quote in your signature! Sounds like a quote from a book I'm reading, "Full Catastrophe Living". Catastrophe defined as, "the poignant enormity of our life experience." Thanks for sharing.

We're off the Sun Princess on Feb. 17 and they definitely did not have different coloured carpets on Port and Starboard, at least not on Aloha deck. I knew about this from previous Princess sailings and looked for it on the Sun.

They had it on the Island Princess last year.

Days of the week if I remember, are on RCCL ships.

That's the way I was taught as a young sailor -

Port wine is red....Port, wine and left all have 4 letters - therefore the left side of the ship is the port side and is red (lights used for navigation).

The "other" side is Starboard and it's lights are green.

I guess Green didn't go with the color scheme though and blue was substituted??? who knows?

and yes it is RCCL, I was on the Mariner in the fall and they changed out the inserts in the elevators day by day.

Must be RCCL because it's not Princess.

Whew!!! I was a little worried about the days of the week thing. I'm thinkin' how did I miss that when going up after an evening at the Wheelhouse, or was it down:D Then I thought, I know, its the wine thing and I don't mean the carpet. :)

Whew!!! I was a little worried about the days of the week thing. I'm thinkin' how did I miss that when going up after an evening at the Wheelhouse, or was it down:D Then I thought, I know, its the wine thing and I don't mean the carpet. :)

Northernder you're my kind of cruiser! :D

We're off the Sun Princess on Feb. 17 and they definitely did not have different coloured carpets on Port and Starboard, at least not on Aloha deck. I knew about this from previous Princess sailings and looked for it on the Sun.

Maybe it's the Grand class, because my experience with this was on the Grand...

I've never seen the days of week on a Grand class (I've been on Star, Grand, and Diamond), but they did have them on Adventure of the Seas (RCCL Voyager class). I actually thought the days were a bit of a bummer as it reminded me the cruise was one day closer to over!

You can also tell fore and aft by looking at the carpet too!! There is a wave design in the hallway carpets and they are going to the aft of the ship. So not only can you tell what side of the ship you are on but whether you are walking to the front or back of the ship. Atleast this was true on the Golden last year and we will see on Saturday if this trick works on CB too!

Its definately NOT on the Sun. Knowing this little tip, I looked for the carpet colors and got lost too many times. :)

Days of the week in the elevator is a RCCL thing.

On the Dawn Princess - both sides of the carpet on the floor I was on were blue - this cool tip doesn't work on the Sun/Dawn Princess (at least didn't when I sailed on them). It does work on the Grand class ships I have sailed on.

Good tip!

Archived