Room Service Menu?

PekingeseLady

We're going on our first HAL trip 4/9 on the Oosterdam, and am curious to the roomservice menu? Can anyone show me? Or tell me about it. Can you get a real breakfast? Is the coffee good, made from real coffee beans? Thank you in advance. :D

Edited by PekingeseLady

Cabin Breakfast Menu

Preferred Time Frame

6 AM - 6:30 AM 7 AM - 7:30 AM 8 AM - 8:30 AM 9 AM - 9:30 AM

6:30 AM - 7 AM 7:30 AM - 8 AM 8:30 AM - 9 AM 9:30 AM - 10 AM

Juices

Grapefruit; Orange:; Cranberry; V-8; Prune, Tomato

Fresh Fruit

Half Grapefruit; Sliced Bananas; Diced Oranges; Mixed Fruit; Seasonal Melons; Stewed Prunes

Low Fat Yogurt

Plain; Fruit

Breads

English Muffin; White Toast; Wheat Toast; Rye Toast; Danish; Croissant; Blueberry Muffin; Bran Muffin; Bagel

Preserves

Assorted Jams; Marmalade; Honey; Butter; Margarine; Cream Cheese

Cereals

Corn Flakes; Special K; Mueslix; Raisin Bran; Granola; Fruit Loops; Frosted Flakes; Rice Krispies; Shredded Wheat

With: Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk

Eggs & Meats

Two Eggs: Scrambled or sunnyside up or over easy

Omelet: With Cheese or With Ham and Cheese

Eggbeaters: Scrambled or Omelet with Cheese or Omelet with Ham and Cheese

Meat: Ham or Sausage or Bacon

Beverages

Regular Coffee; Decaf Coffee; Tea; Hot Chocolate; Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Half & Half

If you can wait until the main dining room opens -- usually 7:30 on port days and 8 on sea days, you can write in anything you want like Eggs Benedict. Waffles, Chocolate croissants, etc.

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

I always order room service for breakfast. I have it delivered at the earliest time. I don't drink coffee, but order 3 teas to get my day.

The person that mainly delivered my breakfast on my last cruise was fantastic. I was on a 30 day cruise at the time. I forgot to mark one of my ussual items and he brought it anyway. The second to the last day, was his last day of work before going home. I said my goodbyes and wished him well. The morning of departure, there he was with my breakfast. I was shocked, he said he wasn't working, but wanted to bring me my breakfast. He didn't want the tip I always gave. Needless to say I felt very special.

During the cruise I had written up a commet card regarding his service. He was so thrilled about receiving one. One thing if service is great, write a commet card during the cruise.

Edited by twodogmom

KK's wonderful information - including that you can "write in" items for breakfast not on the menu - reminded me of something else you probably don't know which isn't on the room service menu.

You can order ANYTHING on that evening's dinner menu ordered to your cabin.

The menu is posted around noon, outside the dining room (and in the Lido? not sure about that one...)

Conditions: you must PLACE the order within 30 minutes of the dining room opening. DELIVERY TIME of your food can be whenever the dining room is still open/serving.

Also, all items will come at once, not course by course. So, don't pick ice cream for dessert :) but something which will "hold" while you finish your other food.

No charge for any room service food. I always tip the person who delivers, but that is your choice.

You can order ANYTHING on that evening's dinner menu ordered to your cabin.

That is one of our favorite things about HAL. You're not stuck with a restricted room service menu when you choose not to go to the MDR for dinner, as you are with other cruise lines when you are not in a full suite.

Having only sailed one other cruise line, I can't say that HAL's room service is the best there is. :rolleyes:

But I do think they do a good job!

DH almost always orders his breakfast from room service, and he's quite happy with it.

We've ordered snacks - late-night sandwiches - and of course the chocolate chip cookies! Yum!

We've never had room service dinner.

As far as coffee - you'll get all kinds of opinions on that here. DH enjoys the coffee. I don't. I only drink decaf, and I haven't been able to tolerate HAL's -- with the exception of the wonderful machine in the Neptune Lounge.

All in all, though, I have to think the OP will be pleased with room service on HAL!

[And don't forget those chocolate chip cookies!]

Edited by Oceanwench

WOW, Thank you Thank you Thank you, fabulous info and so fast. DH and I are very excited, especialy about HALs reputation for good food and room service, forget the ports just give me good food. We were just on a 2/26 cruise with Carnial Spirit and had the worst cruise ever. Food was awful, some British CD lady blaring all day on the intercom, and the music pool side was ridiculous. Anyway, rambling here, lol so sorry. Thanks again for the great info. :D

Edited by PekingeseLady

Room service is great but I enjoy strong coffee so I order half coffee and half espresso with my breakfast.

You can get espresso from room service? Didn't notice it was on the info posted above. Or do they bring it and you pay for it on your ship card?

The only time we order room service is the last day of the cruise when we are back in port. It is better than fighting the crowds at the lido when everyone is up at the same time.

Having only sailed one other cruise line, I can't say that HAL's room service is the best there is. :rolleyes:

But I do think they do a good job!

DH almost always orders his breakfast from room service, and he's quite happy with it.

We've ordered snacks - late-night sandwiches - and of course the chocolate chip cookies! Yum!

We've never had room service dinner.

As far as coffee - you'll get all kinds of opinions on that here. DH enjoys the coffee. I don't. I only drink decaf, and I haven't been able to tolerate HAL's -- with the exception of the wonderful machine in the Neptune Lounge.

All in all, though, I have to think the OP will be pleased with room service on HAL!

[And don't forget those chocolate chip cookies!]

we used to order room service for breakfast -- had great service on alaskan cruise many years ago

after that it was all down hill

items missing from what we ordered -- food cold

then the clincher -- 2 times we ordered room service for disembarkation day to be delivered at 6:30 am -- both times we were calling as late as 7:30 -- also had our concierges calling -- still no breakfast -- the last one was when we were in code red -- everyone had to be out of their cabins by 8 am -- we were in vancouver -- everything was shutting down in the ship by 8 am -- we had to grab whatever was left in the neptune lounge which wasn't much and we weren't to leave the ship until 10 am with a long bus ride with no food to seattle

that cured us -- no more room service

and we only book deluxe suites

so don't think you will always get perfect service just because you book a deluxe suite

Sorry your experiences have been so negative, KK!

DH always gets what he ordered - sometimes even more! :p

He's never complained that it's cold, and he is pretty picky about stuff.

We also get room service for him on disembarkation day, and have not had problems.

I rather go to the Lido and get my omelet fresh - they're even better than the ones in the PG.

Now, that is where DH complained a lot -- when we had breakfast in the PG! His food was lukewarm as was his coffee!

He's much happier staying in the cabin and ordering room service.

• 1 month later...

The ability to 'write in' eggs benedict on the room service breakfast menu, and the ability to order your MDR meal to your room are both HUGE pluses in my book that I didn't know about.

Thank you for the info and also for the room service menu.

We have never eaten breakfast anywhere but in our cabin on all 3 HAL cruises so far. The food has always been good, and we have had few mistakes on our orders. We can eat while organizing our day, and it gives us a few more minutes of free time than going to one of the restaurants. :)

When you say that you can order from room service anything you want from the MDR, how do you place the order? The one time I tried (lobster on formal night) the phone for the dining room was busy all day. Can you place the order in person?

We've cruised with HAL three times, but only "discovered" room service last month on the Westerdam in the Caribbean. We never ordered dinner, but we had breakfast a few times (which was fine) ...... club sandwiches which were great! :D

And our best discovery was our late afternoon snack of cheese plates and fruit plates!! These were great! A wonderful assortment of cheese that came with packaged crackers and a lovely fruit platter to accompany it. So good!! :cool:

When you say that you can order from room service anything you want from the MDR, how do you place the order? The one time I tried (lobster on formal night) the phone for the dining room was busy all day. Can you place the order in person?

Now that is a good question - I don't know for certain but I don't see why you couldn't - I would be tempted to tell the dining room captain or maitre d' then night before that you would like to do this (or anytime he drops by to chat) and ask him if it can be done in person. It would probably be a lot easier than trying to do it by phone if the lines are busy :)

for dinner -- and this varies by ship -- you can only place dinner orders during the first hour OR first hour of when the dining room opens for dinner -- can select what time you wish to dine -- on one ship recently (Noordam) they would not let you place your dinner order until around 6 pm

• 2 years later...
I see "chips" on the menu as an option for coming with burgers... Do they mean actual potato chips? Or are they calling fries "chips"?

If the latter, do you know if you can get fries from room service?

"Chips" are potato chips, or "Crisps" if you are from the UK.