Princess - formal nights - 7 day cruises

cattolica

I have been reading alot on this board recently about people who are going to skip formal nights. One of the biggest reasons seems to be the fees that airlines charge for luggage these days, so people are trying to pack lighter.

Here's a thought, maybe it is time for Princess to think about reducing the formal nights down to one rather than two on their 7 day sailings. Then, those who love the ambiance of formal night still get that opportunity and those who don't only miss the MDR on one night.

Just a thought.:)

Me too. The last time we were on the CB, we didn't do any formal nights. It was one of the most relaxing, fun cruises we've ever had.

OTOH, I dressed up formally for the 4 formal nights (on a 7 night cruise) on the QM2 last fall and strangely enough, the formal dress code didn't enhance the taste of my dinner those nights and the ambiance wasn't all that different either. :D

Hi! I've been looking around to find which of the 7 nights are formal...? Does it differ on every different sailing? This is our first cruise, so we thought we'd try the first night, and if we liked it, we'd do it again the second time. If not, no worries about the second night, we.ll just order room service or hit the buffet. Any experienced cruisers want to share?

Thanks,

Kim

On ships with multiple AD rooms, I'd be curious to see what would happen if they made one AD room smart casual and one formal, same menu...

I could only hope for such a move. Maybe on the new ship. ;)

I have been reading alot on this board recently about people who are going to skip formal nights. One of the biggest reasons seems to be the fees that airlines charge for luggage these days, so people are trying to pack lighter.

Here's a thought, maybe it is time for Princess to think about reducing the formal nights down to one rather than two on their 7 day sailings. Then, those who love the ambiance of formal night still get that opportunity and those who don't only miss the MDR on one night.

How would that help cut down on packing since you would still have to lug along formal items if you wanted to conform. I've noticed a big difference in the enforcement of formal dress in the last year of so. Princess has begun to turn even more of a blind eye than ever before.

I guess I was thinking of those who feel it necessary to pack two complete outfits (two of everything). That takes up a lot of space.

It was just a thought.

I could only hope for such a move. Maybe on the new ship. ;)

How would that help cut down on packing since you would still have to lug along formal items if you wanted to conform. I've noticed a big difference in the enforcement of formal dress in the last year of so. Princess has begun to turn even more of a blind eye than ever before.

Here's a thought, maybe it is time for Princess to think about reducing the formal nights down to one rather than two on their 7 day sailings.

Princess could consider this a cost cutting measure as they will not have to serve up the better menu on a second night.

I can't think of how one formal night vs two formal nights will materially reduce luggage weight.:confused:

Well, that second necktie is a deal-breaker...not to mention the second pair of clean underpants.

I am sure we are in the minority re: packing. Coming from Maine, you can never get a direct flight to Florida and there are frequent weather delays for de-icing in the winter. That said, we both pack one carry on rolling suitcase and another large bag over the shoulder. We never pay to check bags. That said, we have been to Alaska for 12 nights and other Caribbean cruises.

We always pack one formal outfit and wear it to both of the formal nights.

And, we use laundry services, etc. That said, we both seem to come home with a couple of thing we never wore. I like the formal nights. Just plan something fairly packable and one pair of dressy sandals.

PS Another advantage to carry on luggage is that you can be one of the first off the ship, If you want to get off early, check with the Purser and they will give you a card for this . You MUST carry off your luggage.

I guess I was thinking of those who feel it necessary to pack two complete outfits (two of everything). That takes up a lot of space.

It was just a thought.

It just dawned on me that the OP was considering taking two completely different outfits for the two nights. If you are going to dress for both I guess it would cut down on packing weight.

I don't think like that. I just throw thing in the suitcase & reuse most items, even on formal nights. ;)

The packing issue aside, missing only one night appeals to me. We opted for TD this cruise, as we are bringing five others who are new to cruising and excited about the idea of regular "family" table. However, as things worked out, one shore excursion will bring us back too late for our seating, another evening port arrival would mean rushing through dinner to catch the tour. If we avoid the TD room on two formal nights, (as none of the men in our group has a tux or wants to spend the extra money on rental) that leaves us only three nights at our TD table. AD might have made more sense, I guess.

Not complaining here, as this was ultimately our choice, just adding a comment to part of the OP's original statement.

The packing issue aside, missing only one night appeals to me. We opted for TD this cruise, as we are bringing five others who are new to cruising and excited about the idea of regular "family" table. However, as things worked out, one shore excursion will bring us back too late for our seating, another evening port arrival would mean rushing through dinner to catch the tour. If we avoid the TD room on two formal nights, (as none of the men in our group has a tux or wants to spend the extra money on rental) that leaves us only three nights at our TD table. AD might have made more sense, I guess.

Not complaining here, as this was ultimately our choice, just adding a comment to part of the OP's original statement.

Especially considering that the seats go unused for most of the cruise. I'm really beginning to think that that is the cause of a lot of delays in anytime seating & not the people who flip over from TD. .

I'm not comfortable about leaving the table unused, but I'm not intending to use the AD rooms. Will do HC or a specialty restaurant, unless the rule has now changed about the dress code there on formal nights, as has been suggested on other threads. I know there are TD diners who use AD with no problem or guilt, but I will not be doing that. So we may risk offending the formal folks and try to eat in the TD room anyway. (Jackets and ties we can do.)

I'm not comfortable about leaving the table unused, but I'm not intending to use the AD rooms. Will do HC or a specialty restaurant, unless the rule has now changed about the dress code there on formal nights, as has been suggested on other threads. I know there are TD diners who use AD with no problem or guilt, but I will not be doing that. So we may risk offending the formal folks and try to eat in the TD room anyway. (Jackets and ties we can do.)

They didn't change the dress code but had eliminate the wording about being casual all the time from a section of their web site and made it harder to find.

...which gives the various Maitre D's more autonomy to decide policy for "their" rooms...which is okay, I guess, but only adds to the confusion.

I just wish Princess would be clear and consistent. Oh well! :confused:

Agree! Other lines have moved to "elegant casual" for shorter cruises and done away with formal nights even on 14 days cruises. To me this makes more sense, especially if you're in an Alaska or Caribbean cruise since it's a more relaxed setting.

Archived