formal dress for men

kenorus

Just wondering if a dress shirt and dress pants is formal enough. Really dont want to pack a suit jacket once again.

I do the same but I also wear a tie, which doesn't take up much space in the suitcase.

When we started cruising around 5 years ago, it seemed most men wore a tuxedo. Now with the change from "Formal" to "Elegant" you hardly see a tux and much fewer sportcoats and ties. Slacks and a dress shirt are more than adequate.

Sure. That's fine. You'll see some men in a tux, some in suits, and some in slacks, shirts, and ties. It's all good!

Unfortunatley "its not all good".......................It amazes me what ive seen in the dining room.

My husband already informed me that dress pants shirt and tie is all he is doing for formal night oh well that will have to do.

I informed my wife it would be dress pants, dress shirt, suit jacket but NO tie,she said "yes you will wear a tie" so I guess I am gonna have to accidentaly forget to pack my ties;)

Unfortunatley "its not all good".......................It amazes me what ive seen in the dining room.

My favorite was a 12yo kid, about 5 feet nothing and 220 pounds, in a white button up shirt about 4 sizes too small, buttoned all the way up as if to wear a tie, but of course without a tie. He looked like a big miserable marshmallow. I'm sure he would have prefered to go to the buffet that night:)

I informed my wife it would be dress pants, dress shirt, suit jacket but NO tie,she said "yes you will wear a tie" so I guess I am gonna have to accidentaly forget to pack my ties;)

No worries, I'm sure she'll be able to find one for you in the gift shop with little ships on it for $24.99 (if she's at all like my DW):)

sure ... Iv seen it lots of time ... and less. Carnival doesnt do formal night anymore... as long as its not shorts or a ball cap you are good to go.

We've seen people in shorts, ball caps, and flip flops on our last two cruises - on "elegant" night. I don't understand why any of those are considered "elegant," but there you have it.

Thanks that is great. We just cruised celebrity but saw lots of men handed suit jackets. We dont mind bringing them but would like to have a more casual cruise!!!!

Only time you need a jacket on CCL is on formal night AND in the steakhouse at the same time.

A tie is not even needed. From the carnival site:

"Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

Just wondering if a dress shirt and dress pants is formal enough. Really dont want to pack a suit jacket once again.

Throw a tie in if you want and he is ready to go. No need for a suit or a sports coat unless you are he wants it.

Only time you need a jacket on CCL is on formal night AND in the steakhouse at the same time.

No jackets required ever according to the dress codes.

You can however show up in overalls, no shirt, straw hat and flip flops and they will let you in. Like chair saving rules, they are not enforced. Carnival has standards you know. Well some ships do and some dont. I guess it depends on which ship. Some say its enforced, others say its not.

I think folks should at least attempt the minimum and Carnival should enforce the minimum at least. For some diners, it is about the experience and atmosphere and those who blatantly flaunt it, are selfish as any chair hog.

My favorite was a 12yo kid, about 5 feet nothing and 220 pounds, in a white button up shirt about 4 sizes too small, buttoned all the way up as if to wear a tie, but of course without a tie. He looked like a big miserable marshmallow. I'm sure he would have prefered to go to the buffet that night:)

Sitting here LMAO at this post!

Archived