Tourists to be denied use of busses

DeltaOne

Bermuda is planning on controlling how many tourists may use the bus system after a ship arrives at the Dockyard. Bermuda locals have been complaining the cruise ships overwhelm the busses and they're left waiting for subsequent busses. A dispatcher will ensure some busses leave the Dockyard with empty seats for locals.

Details here: http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20110426/NEWS/704269995

Wow,

I'm kinda glad I found the Snorkle beach at the Dockyard.....

You did not discover it. I was man made for tourists. That is a beach I avoid. I go to Bermuda to enjoy the wonderful natural beaches like Horseshoe Bay and other pink sand beaches.

This is an interesting turn of events!

It is an interesting turn of events. It should have been forseen that all the cruise passengers getting on at the start of the run would fill the buses when they added the second dock at Dockyard.

I think the title of the thread is wrong thoough. They are not denying tourists the use of the buses, just leaving some seats for locals who have been unable to use the buses down the line. What they need to do is add more buses during cruise season.

It is a misleading title for the thread, but it's understandable. Here is the first sentence of the article in the Royal Gazette:

Cruise ship passengers are to be refused entry onto buses when they arrive at Dockyard so that seats are left available for locals.

That sounds more drastic than what will actually happen. The ships docking at the West end are huge, and lots of people want to go to the beach. The ferries should be able to handle people who want to go directly to Hamilton or St Georges. But people wanting to go to the beach often take the local buses, and fill every available seat. I can understand the frustration of people in Somerset seeing full buses go by when everyone on the bus is headed for a south shore beach.

Perhaps the bus company could add some "Beach buses" that run as an express to several of the south shore beaches. This would keep tourists from clogging the regular runs, which the residents really do need. And it would get tourists to the beaches faster. That should make both groups happier.

Did Bermuda stop running "beach buses"? When I was there in 2010 they ran buses the first day that took cruise passengers directly to south shore beaches. I thought that was a smart idea since at least half of the disembarking passengers went to the beaches. I am sure this freed up space for the buses that made stops on the way to Hamilton.

Perhaps the bus company could add some "Beach buses" that run as an express to several of the south shore beaches. This would keep tourists from clogging the regular runs, which the residents really do need. And it would get tourists to the beaches faster. That should make both groups happier.

My thoughts exactly, they have express trains, subway and buses in the states. Why not have a few on days when the ships are in port?

You did not discover it. I was man made for tourists. That is a beach I avoid. I go to Bermuda to enjoy the wonderful natural beaches like Horseshoe Bay and other pink sand beaches.

WOW!

Perhaps PVF only meant that they didn't realize they would enjoy it as much as they did and I'm sure they did not mean they discovered it. Besides, PVF has been to Bermuda any number of times and knows all about the wonderful natural beaches.

WOW!

Perhaps PVF only meant that they didn't realize they would enjoy it as much as they did and I'm sure they did not mean they discovered it. Besides, PVF has been to Bermuda any number of times and knows all about the wonderful natural beaches.

WOW! is an understatement.....and you're right, PVF didn't mean "they discovered it" the response was "I'm glad I found it..." As far as the transportation goes, I do feel for the folks in Bermuda waiting for buses that pass them by. They need to get to work and vacationers are taking up their valuable transportation to work. Stuck between a rock and hardspot....

They already have buses like that, "Special" buses to Horseshoe. But that does not stop cruise passengers from getting on the regular runs. So both the Specials and regulars can easily leave the Dockyard full. Leaving some seats empty on the regular buses like they plan is one way to solve the problem.

WOW!

I understood them to mean by discovering it that they were glad they found it.

It has been there for years. It was closed for a few years because of glass. But I don't think it is worth finding as a beach. I think we can share the buses with the locals and still go to the south shore beaches. I don't think saving some seats on the bus means tourists are relegated to the snorkel park. It means we won't be hogging the buses.

So why doesn't Bermuda just put up a sign "No cruise passengers welcome"? First they built a new facility as far from anything anyone cares about and still be in Bermuda. They charge multiple taxes and fees (including a per-cabin / per night tax). Now they've announced cutbacks in ferry service and effective cutbacks in bus service.

This makes no sense at all for a country that derives so much revenue from visitors. Why aren't the local businesses screaming?

j

So why doesn't Bermuda just put up a sign "No cruise passengers welcome"? First they built a new facility as far from anything anyone cares about and still be in Bermuda. They charge multiple taxes and fees (including a per-cabin / per night tax). Now they've announced cutbacks in ferry service and effective cutbacks in bus service.

This makes no sense at all for a country that derives so much revenue from visitors. Why aren't the local businesses screaming?

j

The locals are, you just don't hear about it here.

j

Don't blame Bermuda for the location of the cruise facility. Blame the cruise industry for building all those huge ships. The west end is the only place that large ships can dock. As cruise ships get bigger and bigger, almost nothing can get into St Georges and Hamilton. (HAL's Veendam does St G and Hamilton) The reefs around Bermuda make it impractical to put a large-ship dock anywhere else.

Would you rather anchor and have a 30-minute or longer tender ride into Hamilton? That's the only other option for a large ship.

Wow,

I'm kinda glad I found the Snorkle beach at the Dockyard.....

I've read PFV's post over and over again and for the life of me find the part where PFV claims to have discovered Snorkel Park. Charles can you point it out for us?

Don't blame Bermuda for the location of the cruise facility. Blame the cruise industry for building all those huge ships. The west end is the only place that large ships can dock. As cruise ships get bigger and bigger, almost nothing can get into St Georges and Hamilton. (HAL's Veendam does St G and Hamilton) The reefs around Bermuda make it impractical to put a large-ship dock anywhere else.

Would you rather anchor and have a 30-minute or longer tender ride into Hamilton? That's the only other option for a large ship.

I understand - we almost booked the Veendam but stuck with Celebrity because of smoking policies and cost - before the ferry & bus changes were announced.

My gripe is that the Bermuda Tourist agency and the cruise lines should be finding ways to make it easier for cruise pax to get to Bermuda sites, not harder. To me, Bermuda is the destination (its beaches, towns, etc.) and a cruise ship is a great way to avoid the air travel hassles. If it becomes too difficult to get around and we stay on / near the ship, Bermuda is a rather expensive cruise destination (per day) compared to others - if all we're going to do is stay on board.

j

I understand - we almost booked the Veendam but stuck with Celebrity because of smoking policies and cost - before the ferry & bus changes were announced.

My gripe is that the Bermuda Tourist agency and the cruise lines should be finding ways to make it easier for cruise pax to get to Bermuda sites, not harder. To me, Bermuda is the destination (its beaches, towns, etc.) and a cruise ship is a great way to avoid the air travel hassles. If it becomes too difficult to get around and we stay on / near the ship, Bermuda is a rather expensive cruise destination (per day) compared to others - if all we're going to do is stay on board.

j

I don't think it is going to be that much harder or difficult to get around. I don't think you are going to be stuck on or near the ship but of course we will have to hear the first report backs this season to know for sure. It is too bad there have been cutbacks but Bermuda like everywhere else has been effected by the financial meltdown.

I am a Celebrity fan, my fave cruise line, but for the second year in a row I passed on the Summit and have the Veendam booked because Veendam does not dock at the Dockyard.

Must say with this and the cut back on the ferry schedule, Bermuda isn't looking too accommodating for tourists. We can't rent cars, scooters are pretty dangerous for the inexperienced, and taxiis are very expensive.

hmmmm.....

I never felt Bermuda was ever very accomodating to tourists as tourists. I think that is why I like Bermuda. I don't want it to be like the Caribbean ports with Diamonds International on four corners.

I never felt Bermuda was ever very accomodating to tourists as tourists. I think that is why I like Bermuda. I don't want it to be like the Caribbean ports with Diamonds International on four corners.

Well said! Bermuda is special. I've never found a Caribbean port that I liked as well as Bermuda. Nobody on the street tries to sell you t-shirts or wants to braid your hair.

Well said! Bermuda is special. I've never found a Caribbean port that I liked as well as Bermuda. Nobody on the street tries to sell you t-shirts or wants to braid your hair.

"Come in my shop.. good prices here." One in Costa Maya had it right, "more garbage for less money.." lol.. I would have went into his shop just for that but I wanted back on the ship. lol

Couldn't freaking stand that. Nobody bugs you in Bermuda, its clean, the weather was gorgeous, the locals we interacted with were friendly(and didn't want to braid my hair)

I don't see anything wrong with them getting upset that there is no seats for them left on the bus. Thats how some have to get around. Its their home.

Archived