Which is the better Southern Caribbean itinerary?

Shooraq

Going onboard the Vision in a couple of weeks and may decide to do an onboard booking for December 2012 in the Southern Caribbean. Here are my favored choices:

Brilliance of the Seas:

01-Dec San Juan, Puerto Rico 8:30 PM

02-Dec Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 AM 5:30 PM Docked

03-Dec Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 AM 5:30 PM Docked

04-Dec Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

05-Dec Pointe A Pitre, Guadaloupe 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

06-Dec Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

07-Dec Cruising

08-Dec San Juan, Puerto Rico 6:00 AM

Celebrity Summit:

D1 San Juan, Puerto Rico Depart 8:30 PM

D2 St. Croix, U.S.V.I. Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:30 PM

D3 Basseterre, St. Kitts Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

D4 Roseau, Dominica Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

D5 St. George's, Grenada Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

D6 At Sea

D7 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Docked Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

D8 San Juan, Puerto Rico Arrive 6:00 AM

Both are about the same price for an inside room ($449-$499). Which itinerary looks better and why? Please help! :)

Going onboard the Vision in a couple of weeks and may decide to do an onboard booking for December 2012 in the Southern Caribbean. Here are my favored choices:

Brilliance of the Seas:

07-Dec Cruising

Celebrity Summit:

D6 At Sea

Both are about the same price for an inside room ($449-$499). Which itinerary looks better and why? Please help! :)

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO Shooraq: Both of these itineraries look just as bad. They are both very port intensive. Just one sea day on each. Also, you have to fly down to San Juan which is the port of embarkation and debarkation. Also bad. Airlines can restrict the amount of luggage you are able to take. Also, weather could affect when you actually get down there. If I had to choose I'd say go on Celebrity. In my experience with both cruise lines Celebrity Cruise Line provides a better product than does RCL.

I picked the CEL sailing and just booked this week for the same sailing on 11 Feb 2012. I liked the fairly unique stops in Dominica & Grenada, which few cruise lines visit, plus two other ports I've not visited before in St. Croix and St. Kitts.

To each their own and there are itineraries with more sea days but I enjoy exploring palces I've not visited before so it suits me. I'll probably use from frequent flyer points to get me to San Juan and go a few days early as I like the city and want to explore it some more.

Make sure you buy a Celebrity Passages credit while on the Vision as it's good for a health OBC for that Sumitt sailing, which sadly will be pre-Solsticization which it undergoes in January.

My choice is the Brilliance. For us there is no need to return to St Croix or Dominica. We've been on both ships and they're pretty even but I'll take Tortola and Guadaloupe over the above mentioned ports.

I think it depends what you want from the ports.

Personally, I would choose the Celebrity itinerary (not making any comment about the cruise lines as I only have experience of Celebrity).

We have just returned from 2 7 day b2b cruises in the Southern Caribbean. We like active holidays, I can't spend too much time in the sun, so having something active to do rather than snorkelling/sunbathing is attractive for us.

Dominica and Grenada are incredibly beautiful places, but from a natural beauty point of view. If you fancy going to the rainforest, waterfalls etc then these will be perfect for you. The spice tour on Grenada was great.

With regard to Barbados, the people on our cruise who went to resorts/snorkelling loved it. We chose to walk around Bridgetown - hated it. We were back on the ship within one and half hours (including a mile walk back to the ship). We tried to get a taxi out to Mount Gay distillery, but as there were only two of us, they didn't want to know - wanted a full taxi before they would go.

St. Thomas is beautiful - many go for the shopping, we went on a tour of the island. St. Peter the greathouse is lovely - if we were doing that again we would probably drive ourselves out there and spend more time. The views are gorgeous and Magen's Bay looks beautiful.

St. Croix was a nice little place. Celebrity had shuttles at the port that you didn't have to prebook - we hoped on the shuttle out to Christiansted (think about $25 per person round trip) that made for a nice day.

St. Maarten was a nice enough island, you can walk into Philipsburg from the ship or hop on the water taxi. We walked in and then later caught a taxi out to Maho Beach to watch the planes (if you don't know what I'm talking about do a quick search on YouTube) there's a great bar at the side of the beach to watch the goings on.

St Kitts was nice enough, we chose a rainforest walk. It was a pretty woodland walk but there wasn't much going on there.

Don't know whether that helps your decision - if I can answer any more questions about the islands we've been to, please feel free to ask.

I have to say, apart from Charlotte Amalie and Philipsburg; none of the port towns were up to much and we were quite disappointed with those.

Brilliance of the Seas:

07-Dec Cruising

Celebrity Summit:

D6 At Sea

We were booked on the alternate week's itinerary for Summit plus this itinerary and saw that the Constellation (14 day cruise prices had dropped a lot) and move to the Constellation from the Summit. We had a B2B on the Summit.

Our major reasons were:

1) Fly out of Fort Lauderdale vs San Juan. Shorter flight/lower cost - we might even drive with couples we are traveling with

2) More sea days! We love sea days and till price drop, we would have only 2 sea days on the B2B vs now have 5 sea days

3) We do not duplicate any ports of call.

For either of your 7 day itineraries, it is purely a matter of which ports you want to go to or if there is something specific about the ships or lastly a specific excursion you might want to do/try.

Summit:

There are a few differences and we have never been to Grenada or St. Kitts so for us, those would be positive factors.

Brillance of Seas:

St Maarten- Malo Beach (I think) we would want to go there to see the planes land/enjoy the beach and have some drinks. Otherwise, go to the French side to shop/eat/beach.

Tortola - we have been there and it was a neat island with some fun shopping for us. Got a couple of nice T-shirts.

As to ships, we love the S class Ships, which the Summit is one of. We like the Thassotheropy pool as one example. Never sailed on Brillance of the Seas so cannot compare. We also like the demographics of the passengers on Celebrity. They are older group with less kids typically. So that also may be a factor for you. Our first cruise was on RCL Sovereign of the Seas and she got us hooked! We sailed Allure of the Seas this past December and it was again great, so RCL is a great product also.

Whichever you choose, wishing you a GREAT cruise.:)

Personally I think they are about a draw. If I was choosing totally on the itinerary alone, without regards to the ship, I'd choose the Brilliance because we haven't been to Tortola for a while and would love to go back and also because the last day is a sea day. We also love Barbados. On either itinerary I'd pick one island in the middle (probably Dominica or Guadalupe) as a rest day and just enjoy the ship.

If I was taking the ships into account we'd sail on the Summit (no secret I'm a Celebrity fan).

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO Shooraq: Both of these itineraries look just as bad. They are both very port intensive. Just one sea day on each. Also, you have to fly down to San Juan which is the port of embarkation and debarkation. Also bad. Airlines can restrict the amount of luggage you are able to take. Also, weather could affect when you actually get down there. If I had to choose I'd say go on Celebrity. In my experience with both cruise lines Celebrity Cruise Line provides a better product than does RCL.

I like the port intensive cruises... that way i just stay on the ship for the islands i've already been to. I don't like too many days at sea, otherwise I could have stayed home and relaxed! :D

I guess the better question is which is the better pair of islands to visit:

Tortola and Guadaloupe (Brilliance)

vs.

Dominica/Grenada (Summit)

To me a waaaay too subjective questions as all have their pros and cons.

To me a waaaay too subjective questions as all have their pros and cons.

Okay, better question - what are the highlights of those islands? i'm more into photography and sightseeing.

The Brilliance by a mile for me. (though I far prefer "X" service and clean air)

St T and St Croix.... don't care for either really.

And as to those complaining that both are too port intensive. The BEST itineraries are ones when you choose to stay aboard and have the ship to yourself.

We often stay onboard when visiting ports we may like, but have been to many times. It's a treat compared to sea days when the chair Hoggs take over.

Okay, better question - what are the highlights of those islands? i'm more into photography and sightseeing.

I'm looking forward to exploring Dominica for its lush jungle and special tours into the interior and have been reading some of the tour suggestions and reviews in the port of call forums so might suggest you also browse those forums. :)

I can't comment on Guadalupe or Tortola as I haven't been there.

From a photography point of view, Dominica was beautiful! One of the prettiest views from the ship in port too. When we got back in the afternoon, I was standing on the sun deck at the front of the ship trying to figure out how I would get a decent shot of the island in front of the ship. To my joy, they announced that for this sailaway the helipad would be open if we wanted to see sailaway from there. Fabulous!!! The views were tremendous.

Grenada was very beautiful too - had some stunning interaction with Green Vervet Monkeys in the trees there who were trying to figure out how to use my husband's Nikon D90 (there was a filter over the lens so it was protected)

DSC_0958GrenadaMonkeysandD90.jpg

The spice factories were fabulous from a photographic point of view, well worth a visit.

The Brilliance by a mile for me. (though I far prefer "X" service and clean air)

St T and St Croix.... don't care for either really.

And as to those complaining that both are too port intensive. The BEST itineraries are ones when you choose to stay aboard and have the ship to yourself.

We often stay onboard when visiting ports we may like, but have been to many times. It's a treat compared to sea days when the chair Hoggs take over.

While we have booked the Summit itinerary, I DO agree about booking port-intensive cruises. We used to enjoy more sea days but have come to prefer staying onboard during port days. It is, indeed, a treat to be onboard while most others are exploring the port.

While we have booked the Summit itinerary, I DO agree about booking port-intensive cruises. We used to enjoy more sea days but have come to prefer staying onboard during port days. It is, indeed, a treat to be onboard while most others are exploring the port.

We have also started staying onboard more on certain port days.

Celebrity Summit:

D6 At Sea

It would be Celebrity hands down.

San Juan ~ Let the party begin! Go a day or two early and soak in the local flavor, great people, wonderful food and lots to see.

St Croix ~ Great Snorkeling and Beach Day (Buck Island).

St Kitts ~ This is an island I could live on. Great people, Nice snorkeling by the Marriott, just hang out in town and people watch.

Dominica ~ The Emerald Isle of the Carebbean. Grab your camera.

Grenada ~ Great architecture (Old Market Up Town not by the Docks, Churches and Parliment Buildings). Grab a taxi and head up into the hills to climb to the water falls & meet the locals for a beer at a roadside bar on the way home. They will talk your ear off. Then grab a pizza on Grand Anse Beach.

St Thomas ~ Well they can't all be winners!

Bon Voyage! :)

With regard to Barbados, the people on our cruise who went to resorts/snorkelling loved it. We chose to walk around Bridgetown - hated it. We were back on the ship within one and half hours (including a mile walk back to the ship). We tried to get a taxi out to Mount Gay distillery, but as there were only two of us, they didn't want to know - wanted a full taxi before they would go.

I agree that Bridgetown is not a city to linger in.

However, the rest of the island is beautiful. I particularly love the east coast and Bathsheba. The pink sand beach near the Crane Resort is lovely. In the interior there are gardens and Harrison's Cave. The Chalky Mount potters are amazing to watch. If it's a rum tour you would enjoy, check out the St. Nicholas Abbey which is a private distiller housed in a sugar cane plantation from the 1600s.

We were fortunate to spend extended time on the island when DD, SIL and grandsons lived there from '05-'10.

I'm sure you are correct about the rest of Barbados being nicer than Bridgetown. We were willing to find out - but couldn't find anybody in the port willing to take us as there were only two of us. It was something of a shame really.

We had gone with the intention of exploring Bridgetown which really proved to be our undoing when it turned out to be less than we expected. For others who don't want to spend time in a resort/snorkelling, I would recommend setting up a tour in advance or booking a ship's excursion. Trying to work it out on the ground just wasn't workable.

We just got off the Summit doing your second itinerary. :D

Had an awesome time, and loved the ship and terrific service.

(my pics are in my siggy)

We are actually doing your first itinerary July 17th on the Serenade of the Seas,

so I can't tell you about the islands until we see them. ;)

However I have been on the Serenade before and can tell you that its a beautiful ship, (same class of ship as Radiance)

RCI (IMHO) has more activities on the deck, a little more night-time entertainment, and a more varied breakfast and lunch buffet.

We certainly have no complaints about the quality of food or service on the Summit.

The Summit has one specialty restaurant - the Normandie and our dinner there was spectacular. Well worth the premium

(However our one dinner on the Serenade in their Italian restaurant was awesome too.)

We find if we do a morning excursion, then we've got the afternoon to relax around the pool or in the Solarium.

That being said, we do prefer longer cruises with a couple more sea-days.

9 - 11 days is ideal.

It would be Celebrity hands down.

San Juan ~ Let the party begin! Go a day or two early and soak in the local flavor, great people, wonderful food and lots to see.

St Croix ~ Great Snorkeling and Beach Day (Buck Island).

St Kitts ~ This is an island I could live on. Great people, Nice snorkeling by the Marriott, just hang out in town and people watch.

Dominica ~ The Emerald Isle of the Carebbean. Grab your camera.

Grenada ~ Great architecture (Old Market Up Town not by the Docks, Churches and Parliment Buildings). Grab a taxi and head up into the hills to climb to the water falls & meet the locals for a beer at a roadside bar on the way home. They will talk your ear off. Then grab a pizza on Grand Anse Beach.

St Thomas ~ Well they can't all be winners!

Bon Voyage! :)

Both look interesting. We primarily cruise in the Med. I like ports with historical interest. We live on the GA coast on an island and the beach does not appeal.

What ports have some value for sightseeing or activities other than the beach?

We just got off the 4/16 Summit and loved the itinerary (one diff: Tobago out, St. Thomas in... IMO a lousy trade), but we'd probably choose the Brilliance cruise, simply because the only islands in both itineraries we haven't seen are Tortola and Guadeloupe, and we're open to newness. Both are terrific, port-intensive itineraries.

We also like San Juan a lot, and are surprised that sailing from there would be a deal-breaker for some. To each his own, I suppose.

Archived