LIVE from the GRAND PRINCESS - FLL to Southampton 5/5/11

Pia1913

Holyhead, as stated is not much of a visit....port...and that's it.....but exploring further afield is recommended. I wonder what excursions are available? Portmeirion (Italianate village) Caernarfon Castle? Options are endless...and all are beautiful to see.

Well done Banavan, it's a great effort.

Nerys, Delyth is 52 and used to play in the Nantlle Vale Silver Band and her dad is still in Talysarn and is a dental technitian.

There are loads of lovely historic places to see in the area.

Berwyn

We will be fortunate to be in the UK for a month prior to the cruise. That allows us to see all of the really good stuff at our leisure and bask in the beauty of the ports. :D

We did not leave the Valleys for Florida, that would have been too logical. My parents emmigrated to Canada so we could go from constant rain to winter blizzards.

This was all to toughen me up in preparation for living in an area prone to Hurricanes. :)

True!!!

I do hope you get to the Norwegian fiords. We took the Baltic trip (with Pia) in 2008 and they were so incredibly beautiful.
We will...thank you!

We will be fortunate to be in the UK for a month prior to the cruise. That allows us to see all of the really good stuff at our leisure and bask in the beauty of the ports. :D

We did not leave the Valleys for Florida, that would have been too logical. My parents emmigrated to Canada so we could go from constant rain to winter blizzards. This was all to toughen me up in preparation for living in an area prone to Hurricanes. :)

I have to plan this year's vacation but come September I will be planning the touring part in earnest.

I do hope you get to the Norwegian fiords. We took the Baltic trip (with Pia) in 2008 and they were so incredibly beautiful.

Hi, your post popped up in between mine and Nerys' My wife's father is originally from the South Wales valleys, the Rhondda.

You've had an adventurous moving experience between all the places you've lived in.

Berwyn

Pia, it was a beautiful 71 degrees around 11:30 this morning here in the Florida panhandle!

Go away, we are freezing here in the U.K. :D

We had crazy summer temperatures here over Easter and the Royal Wedding weekend, but it has dropped down to temperatures more like Autumn.

Berwyn

We had crazy summer temperatures here over Easter and the Royal Wedding weekend, but it has dropped down to temperatures more like Autumn.

Berwyn

Temperatures are crazy all over the world right now. Usually our temps are in the 80s or 90s at this time of year so today was a bit cool for us as well. I shivered the whole 4 years I lived in the UK.

Pia, how are things with the Grand now? Has the temperature problem been settled? Is it any warmer on-board yet? Also, what is the current situation with plumbing issues? You mentioned earlier that some cabins had problems with hot water or toilets. Do you know if that has been resolved? I'll board the Grand on June 15th and am hoping that all is in good working order by then!

Thanks for all the information you're posting and continue to have a great cruise!

For whatever it's worth, I was in Minneapolis over the weekend. Freezing and rainy. Then I flew home to NJ Sunday. Yeah, you guessed it. Freezing and rainy. It's Tuesday, still freezing and rainy. Am flying to UK Friday, assume "freezing and rainy" will have crossed the Atlantic to greet us. :)

Carolyn

Berwyn

Pia, reading about your lazier days at sea (I'm on page 8 or 9) and thinking, that's such a luxury. Lazy days. Sea. Sigh.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback on Grand Princess, am avidly reading, and would appreciate any post-cruise suggestions (editor@cruisecritic.co.uk). Thanks again.

Carolyn

I have also been reading your thread avidly -- my husband and I are boarding Grand Princess in Southampton Saturday. We were hoping to write some blog posts from the ship for Cruisecritic.co.uk but Pia, your Internet travails are concerning.

If there's anything I can report on once you're done (and this question goes out to all and sundry -- any concerns or updates as well) please let me know at editor@cruisecritic.co.uk and I'll do my best to carry-on.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Good Morning from Holyhead, Wales. It’s Wednesday May 18th, partly cloudy and I don’t know how many degrees. They don’t tell us and the TV doesn’t tell us, but high today may make it to 53. When we left from Greenock last night it was in dense fog, but across the Irish Sea we traveled and here we are. We had originally been scheduled to do an all day tour to Caernarfon Castle and Snowdonia Mountains, but with the weather so cold, neither if us really wanted to be outdoors for any length of time. Besides which, we visited Wales some years back; stayed in this country 3 days and even had dinner in a castle.

On board today is again nothing but a 2:00 PM rerun of

True Grit. This is also being shown on MUTS tonight. Formal night again with Farewell cocktail party at 7:15. The new show British Invasion will be in the theater tonight; two performances and tonight only. There will definitely be a packed house for this one. Vista has ballroom dancing and Explorer’s will have the marriage game show.

John Evans, the comic from last night did lots of real old material. However, he had a good delivery and made lots of the old stuff sound new. We liked him. Since we have no formal plans, we’ll just wing it today. They just made an announcement that we can’t walk in the port area and that there will be a free shuttle to take us outside of it starting at 9:00.

ANSWERS:

1. Yes. There is video poker

2. Lost or gained appeal? Don't comprehend what you're asking

3. Karen - rub it in. I looked at my town and it was 85.

4. Plumbing - don't know. We never had a problem.

See you later.

Pia

Fascinating feedback, thanks. We are on Grand in August. We saw British Invasion on Star on our Baltic cruise last year. It is a really great production.

When are you due into Falmouth? I will try to get over to have a look at the new shape!

For whatever it's worth, I was in Minneapolis over the weekend. Freezing and rainy. Then I flew home to NJ Sunday. Yeah, you guessed it. Freezing and rainy. It's Tuesday, still freezing and rainy. Am flying to UK Friday, assume "freezing and rainy" will have crossed the Atlantic to greet us. :)

Carolyn

Carolyn,

You will be pleased to hear that, while your arrival on Friday might be greeted by a cool wind, the UK is actually heading for a 2-week heatwave, starting the very next day :)

Plus, the lovely warm Spring weather we enjoyed in March and April means there's a bumper crop of English/British strawberries just coming into the shops - said to be the sweetest ever - but eat them while you can, as the early crop means there probably won't be any left for Wimbeldon if you are still here in July! :D

Have a safe trip across The Pond

weather article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1387492/UK-weather-2-week-heatwave-forecasters-predict-hottest-May-350-years.html

strawberries article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-13423464

A few hours in Holyhead; what fun! And interesting. We left the ship shortly after nine, though they were counting people and only allowing a certain amount off at one time. We understood why after we boarded the little shuttle coaches and proceeded out of the docking area. There is one tiny road; good for one vehicle at a time. Coming or going; only one. I suppose you could fit 2 motorcycles, but definitely not two cars. Anyhow, this makes for slow going, and even if allowed, too far to walk. We were dropped at an area that said “to town.” We had to walk up 2 flights of stairs to get there (40 steps) and found the little town of Holyhead. There was a band playing in one of the squares, “Roman soldiers” walking about (good photo op) and lots of local craft kiosks. Besides some restaurants and small shops, we also saw lots of thrift shops and a multitude of empty stores. We sat for awhile to warm our bones in an internet café (internet one pound/50 for 15 minutes. I didn’t use it), and had coffee. Went into the grocery store/supermarket; saw good wine prices but still have enough for our last few days. Big purchase: a newspaper. We went over to the maritime museum, but decided not to go in. The sun came out and made quite a difference. Shortly after noon we decided to return to the ship and caught the shuttle almost immediately. We were behind another bus as we entered the port and I saw some people getting back on that bus.

Hmmmmmmm…wonder why they got off. I soon discovered why. When it was our turn at the entrance, a security guy got on and stated that some passengers would be invited off the bus for a short security search. Yep…………I was one of them. As Mike sat on the bus and laughed, I was patted down By a woman. Too bad. Is this like winning a lottery?

Quiet afternoon with trivia and then rehearsal. Our performance will be tomorrow night. Tonight we’re going to see British Invasion again.

See ya……….

Hi Pia.

Have enjoyed your updates. We sail on her 23 July.

We saw Jonathan Kane three years ago on the Independance of The Seas, he is very good isn't he. Does he still do the "Live video link" with Kiki Dee for Don't Go Breakin' My Heart?

Around 80 beautiful low humidity day here today and a bit warmer in your neck of the woods. I remember when we were in Falmouth we did some shopping and had a wonderful cream tea with scones loaded with cream and strawberry jam. It was delicious!

Marvelous! And my spirit is warmed. (It's still grim here...)

Thank you.

CSB

Carolyn,

You will be pleased to hear that, while your arrival on Friday might be greeted by a cool wind, the UK is actually heading for a 2-week heatwave, starting the very next day :)

Plus, the lovely warm Spring weather we enjoyed in March and April means there's a bumper crop of English/British strawberries just coming into the shops - said to be the sweetest ever - but eat them while you can, as the early crop means there probably won't be any left for Wimbeldon if you are still here in July! :D

Have a safe trip across The Pond

weather article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1387492/UK-weather-2-week-heatwave-forecasters-predict-hottest-May-350-years.html

strawberries article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-13423464

We called at Holyhead last summer, on Holland America's Westerdam, and I loved the place -- have not seen many ports that had as many complications (getting all pax transported via a single lane bridge (and yet felt such a heartfelt welcome). I wrote about Holyhead here (http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog/?p=791) but that doesn't do it justice.

The tour I took was a bike ride out into the country, with a stop at a pub, and it was delightful. There was enough time to amble through town as well....

Carolyn

A few hours in Holyhead; what fun! And interesting. We left the ship shortly after nine, though they were counting people and only allowing a certain amount off at one time. We understood why after we boarded the little shuttle coaches and proceeded out of the docking area. There is one tiny road; good for one vehicle at a time. Coming or going; only one. I suppose you could fit 2 motorcycles, but definitely not two cars. Anyhow, this makes for slow going, and even if allowed, too far to walk. We were dropped at an area that said “to town.” We had to walk up 2 flights of stairs to get there (40 steps) and found the little town of Holyhead. There was a band playing in one of the squares, “Roman soldiers” walking about (good photo op) and lots of local craft kiosks. Besides some restaurants and small shops, we also saw lots of thrift shops and a multitude of empty stores. We sat for awhile to warm our bones in an internet café (internet one pound/50 for 15 minutes. I didn’t use it), and had coffee. Went into the grocery store/supermarket; saw good wine prices but still have enough for our last few days. Big purchase: a newspaper. We went over to the maritime museum, but decided not to go in. The sun came out and made quite a difference. Shortly after noon we decided to return to the ship and caught the shuttle almost immediately. We were behind another bus as we entered the port and I saw some people getting back on that bus.

Hmmmmmmm…wonder why they got off. I soon discovered why. When it was our turn at the entrance, a security guy got on and stated that some passengers would be invited off the bus for a short security search. Yep…………I was one of them. As Mike sat on the bus and laughed, I was patted down By a woman. Too bad. Is this like winning a lottery?

Quiet afternoon with trivia and then rehearsal. Our performance will be tomorrow night. Tonight we’re going to see British Invasion again.

See ya……….

Welcome to Falmouth, a well sheltered bay with plenty of deep anchorage space. This is our port for Cornwall, a town we enjoyed many years ago and where we had our first encounter with pasties, scones and clotted cream. For those who need more explanation, a pasty is a pastry shell filled with meat and onions, some have potatoes, other have cheese, etc. I will try to find one that is steak and onions. As for clotted cream, this is what they put on scones with or without jam. I say “they” because I’m not one of them. Falmouth town has a steep flight of 111 steps known as Jacob’s Ladder which leads up to a Wesleyan Chapel. We did this once; not going to do it again. We have again elected not to take a structured tour and just walk around and visit the shops. BTW, this is a tender port and we are not in a great rush to get off.

On board today it’s again very quiet with the movie Social Network being shown at 1:30. This is also the movie du jour for tonight’s MUTS.

Entertainment tonight is a violinist in the theater and the passenger talent show in Vista. Most important is the Princess Pop Choir Grand Performance in the Piazza at 9:00. ;)

Our clocks go ahead one hour tonight, but that lost hour will be regained immediately the next night. Just want to comment on British Invasion. There have been changes. I believe it’s a longer show. I can’t tell you exactly what was changed, but there is a difference from when we saw it on the Star in March. Whatever it is, we loved it then and we loved it again.

And………….don’t say it too loudly, but there’s a change the weather might make it to 60 or better and, we actually have some sun. Martyn also pulled my name this AM on the Wake Show, so I win a drink. :)

Yes, Jonathan Kane still does the bit with Kiki. Breakfast time.

Welcome to Falmouth, a well sheltered bay with plenty of deep anchorage space. This is our port for Cornwall, a town we enjoyed many years ago and where we had our first encounter with pasties, scones and clotted cream. For those who need more explanation, a pasty is a pastry shell filled with meat and onions, some have potatoes, other have cheese, etc. I will try to find one that is steak and onions. As for clotted cream, this is what they put on scones with or without jam. I say “they” because I’m not one of them. Falmouth town has a steep flight of 111 steps known as Jacob’s Ladder which leads up to a Wesleyan Chapel. We did this once; not going to do it again. We have again elected not to take a structured tour and just walk around and visit the shops. BTW, this is a tender port and we are not in a great rush to get off.

On board today it’s again very quiet with the movie Social Network being shown at 1:30. This is also the movie du jour for tonight’s MUTS.

Entertainment tonight is a violinist in the theater and the passenger talent show in Vista. Most important is the Princess Pop Choir Grand Performance in the Piazza at 9:00. ;)

Our clocks go ahead one hour tonight, but that lost hour will be regained immediately the next night. Just want to comment on British Invasion. There have been changes. I believe it’s a longer show. I can’t tell you exactly what was changed, but there is a difference from when we saw it on the Star in March. Whatever it is, we loved it then and we loved it again.

And………….don’t say it too loudly, but there’s a change the weather might make it to 60 or better and, we actually have some sun. Martyn also pulled my name this AM on the Wake Show, so I win a drink. :)

Yes, Jonathan Kane still does the bit with Kiki. Breakfast time.

We are on the West Dorset coast in Weymouth, just along from Cornwall and Devon and our weather today is perfect - blue skies, warm and sunny - don't know how long it will last but certainly hope you are getting it too in Falmouth. I think that is where we went to a rather good maritime museum and, as you say, the pasties are verrrrry good:D

Archived