LIVE from the GRAND PRINCESS - FLL to Southampton 5/5/11

Pia1913

Tendering did not go quickly, though I can’t imagine what held it up. We left at 9:00; smooth going, but a 20 minute ride. There was a free shuttle bus that took us into the center of town and of course we used it. I didn’t listen to where the pickup for return would be, since we knew we’d be walking back. There was an art gallery close by with some interesting exhibitions and we spent a little while in there. Walking thru town very interesting and we probably went into all the shops, other than food places. There are many, many bakeries and coffee bars, including lots of them making pasties. We bought one to share; steak, onion and potato. Mike liked it; I had one bite. In this town, as in Holyhead, there are also quite a few thrift shops. Nothing here to buy, since all I am interested in is a souvenir from THE wedding. I suppose that will have to wait until we get to London. Near the ship there is a maritime museum for which we were given a ½ price coupon. We walked through their gift shop, but we weren’t interested in the museum itself. Back to the ship for lunch at 1:30. I would estimate that the distance between ship and town center is one mile; give or take. But when you’re just meandering, distance means nothing.

Just a quickie. Internet yucky again :(

Pia...

Hope the "performance" goes well tonight...is anyone recording it/planning to upload it to YouTube? If so please let us know...would love to see you all. We are hoping they will have the choir when we go to Norway on 15th June.

With regard to the general evening entertainment, we have already seen the Elton John tribute act twice, so hopefully there might be some changes between cruises! Sounds as if you are enjoying all of the acts.

Thank you so much for taking time to give us all the information

Debbie

Shortly after noon we decided to return to the ship and caught the shuttle almost immediately. We were behind another bus as we entered the port and I saw some people getting back on that bus.

Hmmmmmmm…wonder why they got off. I soon discovered why. When it was our turn at the entrance, a security guy got on and stated that some passengers would be invited off the bus for a short security search. Yep…………I was one of them. As Mike sat on the bus and laughed, I was patted down By a woman. Too bad. Is this like winning a lottery?

Pia,

John and I took a short trip to Cozumel for some diving earlier this month. For the flight back to the US, I not only got a pat down, I had to take off my shoes and hat so that they could be examined. Everything in my carry-on (dive bag) and purse had to be removed, opened, and examined. They did this to at least 8 people.

I was the second to last person to board and John was starting to worry. I had sent him on ahead because the fight was so full that I though we would not be able to fit both dive bags into the overhead bins. Fortunately, there was still room for mine once I finally got on!

We're both enjoying your "live from" --- hope to be on a cruise with you again soon!

Carolyn

Me again. If the internet allows it. I’ve been managing, but minutes are waning. Lots of complaints all over the ship and I don’t blame them. We get ours complimentary, but those who bought packages are being short changed big time.

Big news today. We finally won trivia. No losing by one, no losing a tie breaker; just a clean win all by ourselves. Our team was just the two of us. And, we got new prizes. Princess pens. Nothing special with the pen, but nice to have something different. Actually, just nice to win something.

Our choir performance went well; we are all stars. Mike video-ed it so will watch it when we get home. On the big screen. LOL

We have a tour tomorrow in Le Havre which we have to meet at 7:15. Also, since the clocks go ahead tonight, we really don’t have much time for sleep. I guess I can do some on the bus to Rouen. Will try to get something posted early in the AM, but can’t promise.

Mmm. Cornish Pasties. We discovered those about halfway into our England trip... Someone really needs to open a pasty shop in Philly.

Tendering did not go quickly, though I can’t imagine what held it up. We left at 9:00; smooth going, but a 20 minute ride. There was a free shuttle bus that took us into the center of town and of course we used it. I didn’t listen to where the pickup for return would be, since we knew we’d be walking back. There was an art gallery close by with some interesting exhibitions and we spent a little while in there. Walking thru town very interesting and we probably went into all the shops, other than food places. There are many, many bakeries and coffee bars, including lots of them making pasties. We bought one to share; steak, onion and potato. Mike liked it; I had one bite. In this town, as in Holyhead, there are also quite a few thrift shops. Nothing here to buy, since all I am interested in is a souvenir from THE wedding. I suppose that will have to wait until we get to London. Near the ship there is a maritime museum for which we were given a ½ price coupon. We walked through their gift shop, but we weren’t interested in the museum itself. Back to the ship for lunch at 1:30. I would estimate that the distance between ship and town center is one mile; give or take. But when you’re just meandering, distance means nothing.

Just a quickie. Internet yucky again :(

Me again. If the internet allows it. I’ve been managing, but minutes are waning. Lots of complaints all over the ship and I don’t blame them. We get ours complimentary, but those who bought packages are being short changed big time.

Big news today. We finally won trivia. No losing by one, no losing a tie breaker; just a clean win all by ourselves. Our team was just the two of us. And, we got new prizes. Princess pens. Nothing special with the pen, but nice to have something different. Actually, just nice to win something.

Our choir performance went well; we are all stars. Mike video-ed it so will watch it when we get home. On the big screen. LOL

We have a tour tomorrow in Le Havre which we have to meet at 7:15. Also, since the clocks go ahead tonight, we really don’t have much time for sleep. I guess I can do some on the bus to Rouen. Will try to get something posted early in the AM, but can’t promise.

Pia;

Congrats.....:):):)

Bob

Congrats on the trivia win!! Is the pen the one that has the ship in it floating up and down?

We have one of those from the Coral Princess that we won. Have fun in Rouen. It is a charming town and had a wonderful linen store.

Congrats on the Trivia! Always a good feeling when you win the game!!

Congratulations on the long-awaited trivia win. Complete with a prize you can actually use! Very cool.

Did you enjoy The Social Network on the big screen --- and the very attractive co-star, Andrew Garfield? Although, of course, my main interest is always the artistic integrity of the film, as I'm sure is yours. Ahem. But he's smokin' . . . just putting it out there.

Congratulations on your win, Pia! It's about time they gave some prizes other than luggage tags or passport holders away. I have so many tote bags from previous cruises that I could do a major grocery shopping and still have bags left over! A pen takes up a lot less space.

We’re almost in Le Havre and the sun is trying to shine. The thermometer says cold. I believe the high will only reach 53, but if the sun shines that will help a whole lot. We will be meeting our tour at 7:15 to Rouen and expect to return to the ship about 1:15. We received our disembarkation luggage tags last night, so I guess the cruise is really coming to an end.

On board today is nothing but a movie at 2:00; The Dilemma. Same movie will also be on MUTS. In the theater tonight will be ventriloquist Jimmy Tamley, comic John Evans and the violinist we didn’t see last night, Vincenzo Gentile. Vista is showing the movie No Strings Attached at 8:00 and again at 10:00.

Gotta go grab some food. Later.

Hi Pia,

I've caught up with the thread at last.

Thanks for the great Live From thread.

Congrats for my favorite Princess Cruiser getting No 1.:)

They have just arrived in Le Havre, and from the cam looks like a container ship is sailing past you.

Have a great day

20grand.jpg

Taken from the same place (Pendennis Point), Falmouth.

Appreciate your posts. Both great shots. Spot the difference? Yes, there is a sailboat in one and not in the other;). Kidding.

Pia: As your journey draws to an end, we wish to thank you for providing us this wonderful glimpse into the new Grand Princess. We are sailing on her July 16. We are sure you have broken her in nicely for us.

I have followed all your posts. You have answered all my questions without us having to ask a single one. Best wishes to you and your family with fair winds and safe journeys onward. (Emile)

Rouen, where we thought the sun might shine but were mistaken. Our tour departed at 7:30 for Rouen; 1 ½ hours away. That’s what is wrong with this port; everything is far away. Anyhow, we had a pleasant ride and we both had a nice snooze. Our guide Sylvette was very knowledgeable but too soft spoken. On the bus with a mic, fine. Off the bus, hard to understand. We walked a lot exploring Normandy’s ancient capital and visited the Cathedral Notre-Dame de Rouen and the site where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. The cathedral is quite large and the exterior façade is undergoing renovation. It’s probably been under renovation for a long time, as are most cathedrals in Europe. We had a little bit of free time and had some wonderful coffee at McCafe. :)

Our return to the ship at 1:15 was enhanced by the fact that we got stuck in the elevator. I pushed ten, it got to ten, and then the doors wouldn’t open. Played with all the buttons and then called for help. Voice said someone was on their way, when the elevator suddenly went to 8, announced itself and didn’t open. Then it went to Dolphin, announced deck 9, doors opened and we escaped. Pretty funny. Many people have been stuck in various elevators during this cruise, so this was our opportunity. Hahahaha

Back in our cabin now and time to pack. We don’t need to do anything fancy, since we’ll be in London until Tuesday and can pack appropriately on Monday night. I will check in either later tonight or tomorrow AM. Internet permitting.

Thank you all for cruising along and for your participation. It’s really nice to get almost 40,000 hits on a LIVE as short as this one.

P.S. The pens are just plain pens with Princess name. Not even ship name. It's OK; happy to have them.

BTW, Celebrity Constellation is here too.

Have a wonderful time in London..one of our favorite cities. Are you planning any special

sightseeing there? Having tea with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge? Thanks for taking us along on the trip across the Atlantic on the "new" Grand Princess. Tell Gloria and Lew we wish them a safe trip home.

Thanks Pia, I have enjoyed travelling 'with' you. Yes, it is chilly here in southern England with a cool wind. Quite a bit below normal for May. Enjoy your stay in London, it should be a bit warmer in a day or two.

Archived