LIVE from the GRAND PRINCESS - FLL to Southampton 5/5/11

Pia1913

We were on the Star's TA at the same time. Our crossing was as calm as it could be, and periodicallyour captain would laughingly note how nice we had it compared to oursister ship. Funny how things can differ so greatly.

We're booked on the Grand again for 49 days in 2013 and whatever kinks there are should really be fixed by then. ;) Bottom line is that we ourselves were not really affected by negatives. Inconveniences, yes. But those were addressed and promptly fixed. What I never mentioned in this LIVE was our ineffective room steward; worst one we have ever had. But I know the next one will be better.

So sorry to hear of your experience with the room steward. Through the years we have had many good ones, a few outstanding ones, but never a poor one. What did you do about the situation? Would you let Hotel mgr know of the problem?

Just curious re: recommended approach to take in this situation. Cheers!:)

Gail, you can usually pick up discounted Billy Elliott tickets at the TKTS booths. See here for the daily listings:

http://www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale/ If you have some day-to-day flexibility, you may have a better chance.

Thank you for the link. We were planing on hitting the TKTS booth as Billy Elliott has been playing for a long time and we do have flexibility. We will be in London 4 nights pre-cruise so we should be able to score. Gail

Pia, thanks for doing the "Live". How does the new club, the One5, look?

And did you get into any of Martyn's final video from yesterday? There were many passengers milling about the Piazza behind him.

Hi all, I certainly have not read all the posts having just disembarked the Grand this morning. I laughed when I read the question about the One5. It didn't open until May 26th. Sort of a split area with dancing off to the side. I do like the outdoor areas under cover but close enough to hear the music.

More later as I read through.

Carol

PS. We are in Iceland. No sign of volcanic clouds, I guess it all blew away much quicker than the 45 days of trouble a year ago.

So sorry to hear of your experience with the room steward. Through the years we have had many good ones, a few outstanding ones, but never a poor one. What did you do about the situation? Would you let Hotel mgr know of the problem?

Just curious re: recommended approach to take in this situation. Cheers!:)

I did nothing about it. This was an anomaly for us and we just sucked it up and bit**** to each other. ;) The next one will definitely be better.

What I never mentioned in this LIVE was our ineffective room steward; worst one we have ever had. But I know the next one will be better.

Pia, It is funny you should say this. We felt the same with our steward this trip. We are always up and out early and in the past, the stewards have figured this out and done our room first. Not this trip. Many days it was 2 pm before our room got done. Now I will say, having 20 rooms to do without an assistant is not easy, but you would think they would pay attention to the comings and goings of passengers.

We actually came back to our cabin one night and found the stewards master key on our bed. We could have made sooooo much trouble for him. I paged him 3 times so I could give him back his key before he panicked. He never responded! I finally gave it to him the next morning. All he said was, "thank you". I wonder how he was planning to get into cabins that day. It might have been fun to sit around and watch him try.

It's not to late to let Princess know! We have never had to go to the Hotel mgr, as one correction with the steward took care of the problem..but I think repeated problems need to be addressed with a manager.

My wife and I have previously done 7 cruises (2 Mediterranean, one Baltic, one trans Atlantic and the rest were in the Caribbean). This was our first Princess cruise and also our WORST cruise. We were NOT upset with people constantly working on the ship, near non-existent elevators, rolled up carpets laying on the walkways, delays in boarding, etc.

Our major problem was the lack of any sleep we got on three nights. During the first night to Bermuda (an unscheduled stop) everything was fine. However, after Bermuda we consistently heard a loud banging on our wall. This was NOT a minor creaking or clanging, which we heard all over the ship but sounded like someone using a sledgehammer on our wall. The noise was sometimes every 5-15 minutes but often every minute or two. The banging was so bad that it caused our wall to shake as well our bed which was against the banging wall. I was nervous that the huge mirror on the wall would crack or even fall on us. I went to complain to the lobby and they said they had no idea what is was and that no one else had problems. This we found out was a lie when we met our neighbors who also couldn’t sleep due to the noise. Customer service said that the ship was full and they could not move us. They sent two engineers who also heard and saw our dilemma. However they were also puzzled and provided NO help. We had no sleep and tried to sleep again the next afternoon but the banging was still there. On the second night I complained again with no avail. They offered me earplugs. I tried my own but the noise and bed shaking far exceeded the ability of the earplugs to change anything. We deduced that the problem was likely due to the excessive speed the captain needed to reach our destination on time (due to a delay in departure from Fort Lauderdale and the Bermuda stop) and pitching of the ship. This was causing our room to somehow bang against some other structure behind our wall. After the crossing there was only the odd banging- once every few hours that did not disrupt our sleep as much as the other 3 nights. We were NOT near any elevators, which were also clanging during this cruise, but their noise was minor compared to our room from hell.

Another incident also shocked us on this cruise. We were sent invitations to our cabin to attend a party (with refreshments etc) for first time Princess cruisers. We and a group of passengers showed up at the lounge. After waiting for 30 minutes or so, a fellow passenger went up on the floor and told us that he went to customer services to enquire why no one from Princess cruises was there. He told us that customer services and the cruise director did NOT have any information on this party. In essence we were stood up! That evening at the show the cruise director told the audience that there was a typo and that the party was on Sunday not as written (Saturday). No apology- just that WE misread the date! Great welcome to Princess Cruises for first timers!!

Even with the refurbishment, the room we were in showed its age. The bathroom was old with grungy grime between the tiles. They should have spent a few dollars on the rooms!

However:

Food: Great

Dining Service: Great

Room cleaning: Great

Entertainment: Great

Ports of call: Awesome

Will I cruise on Princess again? Depends on the ports of call and DEFINITELY not on the Grand Princess. I love cruising BUT I also need sleep! After losing 3 nights sleep I was totally exhausted and angry and a changed person. This put a huge blot on my long awaited vacation.

My wife and I have previously done 7 cruises (2 Mediterranean, one Baltic, one trans Atlantic and the rest were in the Caribbean). This was our first Princess cruise and also our WORST cruise. We were NOT upset with people constantly working on the ship, near non-existent elevators, rolled up carpets laying on the walkways, delays in boarding, etc.

Our major problem was the lack of any sleep we got on three nights. During the first night to Bermuda (an unscheduled stop) everything was fine. However, after Bermuda we consistently heard a loud banging on our wall. This was NOT a minor creaking or clanging, which we heard all over the ship but sounded like someone using a sledgehammer on our wall. The noise was sometimes every 5-15 minutes but often every minute or two. The banging was so bad that it caused our wall to shake as well our bed which was against the banging wall. I was nervous that the huge mirror on the wall would crack or even fall on us. I went to complain to the lobby and they said they had no idea what is was and that no one else had problems. This we found out was a lie when we met our neighbors who also couldn’t sleep due to the noise. Customer service said that the ship was full and they could not move us. They sent two engineers who also heard and saw our dilemma. However they were also puzzled and provided NO help. We had no sleep and tried to sleep again the next afternoon but the banging was still there. On the second night I complained again with no avail. They offered me earplugs. I tried my own but the noise and bed shaking far exceeded the ability of the earplugs to change anything. We deduced that the problem was likely due to the excessive speed the captain needed to reach our destination on time (due to a delay in departure from Fort Lauderdale and the Bermuda stop) and pitching of the ship. This was causing our room to somehow bang against some other structure behind our wall. After the crossing there was only the odd banging- once every few hours that did not disrupt our sleep as much as the other 3 nights. We were NOT near any elevators, which were also clanging during this cruise, but their noise was minor compared to our room from hell.

Another incident also shocked us on this cruise. We were sent invitations to our cabin to attend a party (with refreshments etc) for first time Princess cruisers. We and a group of passengers showed up at the lounge. After waiting for 30 minutes or so, a fellow passenger went up on the floor and told us that he went to customer services to enquire why no one from Princess cruises was there. He told us that customer services and the cruise director did NOT have any information on this party. In essence we were stood up! That evening at the show the cruise director told the audience that there was a typo and that the party was on Sunday not as written (Saturday). No apology- just that WE misread the date! Great welcome to Princess Cruises for first timers!!

Even with the refurbishment, the room we were in showed its age. The bathroom was old with grungy grime between the tiles. They should have spent a few dollars on the rooms!

However:

Food: Great

Dining Service: Great

Room cleaning: Great

Entertainment: Great

Ports of call: Awesome

Will I cruise on Princess again? Depends on the ports of call and DEFINITELY not on the Grand Princess. I love cruising BUT I also need sleep! After losing 3 nights sleep I was totally exhausted and angry and a changed person. This put a huge blot on my long awaited vacation.

Just curious..............where was your cabin? I always sleep better on a cruise ship and this one was no different. No unusual noises in our area.

Inside cabin. Midship. Caribe deck.

Amazing, since we too were in a balcony cabin on Caribe, though a bit more forward. And our friends were more midship, on the same side (starboard) and they didn't have any kind of noise disruption either.

Amazing, since we too were in a balcony cabin on Caribe, though a bit more forward. And our friends were more midship, on the same side (starboard) and they didn't have any kind of noise disruption either.

Pia,

Skipped around but enjoyed hearing about the Grand Princess. How nice of you to share with so many. Keep cruising and sharing information!

Best regards,

Franky

• 1 month later...

I have read 1/2 of the posts, and have a few questions.

We have cruised on Crown, Emerald and Ruby, and are looking at Grand for Nov.

I have read some bad reviews, but I also understand that sometimes you can't pay attention to those. Would you be so kind as to share your overall opinion of Grand Princess? We are a couple in our 50's (young), and book balcony cabin, usually on Caribe deck. Are the Caribe balconies on Grand larger, as they were on previous ships I listed?

Than you in advance for any advice.

Pam in KY

I have read some bad reviews,

The bad reviews are from the first 1 or 2 cruises after the dry dock. Not all the work was done and some were upset about that. If you check more recent reviews, maybe since June 1, you will find very positive reports.

Would you be so kind as to share your overall opinion of Grand Princess?

Pia, the OP, could not have been too unhappy. She has booked another cruise on Grand Princess.

We are a couple in our 50's (young), and book balcony cabin, usually on Caribe deck. Are the Caribe balconies on Grand larger, as they were on previous ships I listed?

Yes, Caribe balconies are larger. Also, half covered, half open.

Pam in KY

(I keep getting a message from CC that this post is too short.??)

Anything you write within the quote is not considered as part of your post. Until you wrote this last sentence outside the quote, you didn't have a post...lol:D

edit: sorry, ovccruiser, didn't see that you had already answered before I posted.

We have cruised on Crown, Emerald and Ruby, and are looking at Grand for Nov.

I have read some bad reviews, but I also understand that sometimes you can't pay attention to those. Would you be so kind as to share your overall opinion of Grand Princess? We are a couple in our 50's (young), and book balcony cabin, usually on Caribe deck. Are the Caribe balconies on Grand larger, as they were on previous ships I listed?

Pam in KY

OK. Here I am; LIVE. Yes, we had a Caribe balcony and yes, those balconies are 1 1/2 times the size of the regular balcony cabins. They are partially covered and uncovered; the best of both worlds. If you read this entire missive you know we were not unhappy. Yes, some things went wrong, but for the most part they were taken care of immediately. Some folks had more problems than others; some folks can't stand any kind of problem no matter what it is. AFAIK, everything has been straightened out on subsequent cruises and we are scheduled again on the Grand in 2013 for 49 days.

Hi Pia...

Good to see you're on your way. Watched the sailaway on the Inlet Cam.

Thanks for the update!

Have a fantastic cruise...

Lew

Hey Lew,

We were on the Ruby with you last October! Fabulouse wasn't it? That was our first Princess cruise...we loved it!

Hi Pia,

Thanks from me too, and I'm glad you are "Live" even when the wi-fi doesn't cooperate! :D

We were on the Golden in Feb, and I've been trying to recreate the cold shrimp salad in the IC... but I'm missing something. I'm using fresh lemon, fresh chopped mint (& the shrimp for you smarty-pants CCers ;)).

It just occurred to me that perhaps "fresh" is contributing to the problem, maybe they use dried mint, bottled lemon juice. If you happen to find a friendly face to ask there at the IC, I'd really appreciate it. And so would DH! :p He is not so willing to try my experiments after a real sour one! Altho I only marinate 6 at a time to see if I've got it right or not, hate to waste the little buggers!!

Dreaming of having your itinerary someday...

I just now saw a place on the Princess web site, where you can ask for recipes...not sure if they have the one you want, but it might be worth a shot asking them!

Thanks for your reply.

Any other comments on the ship? Reviews I have read are making me think I should choose a different Princess ship......

Are you happy with the overall condition of Grand Princess?

Thank you for any additional comments.

Pam in KY

Thanks for the info MandD. If you have been on the Grand, any additional comments are appreciated. I have this cruise on hold until 5 pm today.

Thanks again,

Pam in KY

Thanks for the info MandD. If you have been on the Grand, any additional comments are appreciated. I have this cruise on hold until 5 pm today.

Thanks again,

Pam in KY

Pam

You'll get more answers if you start a new thread with a title something like

Need help on condition of Grand Princess or

Want to book cruise - how is the Grand currently? or

Anyone who's been on the Grand since the repo - how is she?

or something like that.

Pam

You'll get more answers if you start a new thread with a title something like

Need help on condition of Grand Princess or

Want to book cruise - how is the Grand currently? or

Anyone who's been on the Grand since the repo - how is she?

or something like that.

Thanks again,

Pam in KY

OOPS; missed your 5:00 PM deadline. Chamima is correct. You'll get better current answers if you get off of this looooooooooooong thread and ask someone who has been on the Grand the last few sailings.

I cannot believe there are over 50,000 hits. I'm thanking you all again, albeit more than 2 months later. I couldn't have done it without you.

Archived