LIVE from the GRAND PRINCESS - FLL to Southampton 5/5/11

Pia1913

Pia,

Good stuff! We will be joining the Grand on 15th June, so it's good to read your live posts.

One question, what are the power hour beers? Its a tad early for me to be hitting the cocktails!

Best wishes for the rest of your voyage:)

i am really interested in your daily update we are coming on the ship in June from Southampton and have never travelled on the Princess line before, will you be able to post a few pics sometime I would love to see what it is like on board. Am a little worried that there is a lot of add on extras, i saw they were charging for a lounger in some area? is that correct. Hope you find calm seas & warm sunshine happy cruising Helen:cool:

About the tonnage. We were on the Grand in March. At a CC M&G, the captain informed us that the weight reduced by the removal of Skywalkers would be offset by the input of marble, etc. in the refit. My guess is the tonnage is about the same.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for the updates, Pia.

Lorna

About the tonnage. We were on the Grand in March. At a CC M&G, the captain informed us that the weight reduced by the removal of Skywalkers would be offset by the input of marble, etc. in the refit. My guess is the tonnage is about the same.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for the updates, Pia.

Lorna

Gross tonnage is a measure of internal volume, not weight. while the weight is probably the same, the gross tonnage will be less, but probably only by about a couple of hundred tons.

Gross tonnage is a measure of internal volume, not weight. while the weight is probably the same, the gross tonnage will be less, but probably only by about a couple of hundred tons.

Thank you. I get it!

Lorna

It’s still Wednesday, May 11th, but I have no clue when this will get posted. Internet availability has been sporadic, so I must do a copy and paste when/if I can. It will still be LIVE, though perhaps not immediate. Just in case someone isn’t following, we are 4 hours ahead of EST and we still have to lose another hour; probably on Friday or Saturday.

Went to passport guy this morning; took only a few minutes. Our passports got stamped, but I couldn’t see what it said. I’ll find out eventually. Choir rehearsal #2 sounds better than #1, but we haven’t been told yet when our performance will take place.

The temperature at noon was only 53 F and it’s been very foggy all day. We are supposed to be in Punta Delgada at 8:00 AM tomorrow and I have a feeling we’re going to be there on time. Or close to it. Captain’s announcement last night sounded extremely optimistic.

Highlight of the day: sitting in cabin reading, when I received a phone call from what sounded like a very elderly gentleman who wanted to tell me about his toilet problem and also a smell emanating from his air conditioning. I later found a note outside my door asking me to call him. In any event, I explained what Cruise Critic is all about and that I had no ship input greater than his. Mike thinks I shouldn’t have a sign on the door, but I’m not the only one who has one. Someone must have directed him to me, since he’s on Emerald and we’re on Caribe.

It’s now near dinner time and still no internet access. I hope to be able to get this on the board before tomorrow, but…………????? Anyhow, our plans for tonight is just to watch a movie in the cabin or read. We just finished our “wine time.” If schedule goes well we have a private tour to meet at 9:00 tomorrow in Ponta Delgada.

Answers: some of them, if they post.

1. Greenock - we are there Tuesday 5/17

2. Power Hour - no beer. When it was $2.99 they offered beers. Now that they've raised the price, $3.99 is no longer a bargain.

3. Renovations - lots of them. We have no conservatory. Cabins were not redone.

4. Lots of bathroom problems; not ours.:)

5. Meredith - regards from Ed and Jeff. Y:)es, trivia team.

TTY when I can.

Hi Pia I can't tell you how much I am enjoying your reports. We join you on the next cruise 21st May, only 6 more working days before we take our leave and head for our next big sea adventure. Do you disembark on the 21st or are you doing a B2B? And just a question, has the whole of the conservatory been removed??? Can't wait to see all the changes. Enjoy your day tomorrow and look forward to your next up date. :D

It's funny how when people hear Cruise Critic they think it's a board to complain about the cruise or give it some kind of critique. Pia, you have such a presence on board that they think you are the go-to person! :D

Thursday May 12th; now arriving into Ponta Delgada in the Azores. Temp is cloudy and in the 50’s; expected to reach 62. The Azores: a chain of islands, nine of them altogether, about 800 miles west of Lisbon, Portugal. The official language is of course Portuguese and the currency is the Euro. Ponta Delgada is located on Sao Miguel, the largest of the nine Azores. We have a private 4 x 4 tour scheduled, which I’ll tell you about later in the day. As planned, we stayed in the cabin last night to watch the movie “Conviction”, with Hilary Swank and Minnie Driver.

Not much happening aboard today except the movie “Life as We Know It.” This is also the movie du jour on MUTS. In the theater tonight is Keith Fields, the same magician from a few days ago and in Vista, Motor City….. again

Thursday May 12th; now arriving into Ponta Delgada in the Azores. Temp is cloudy and in the 50’s; expected to reach 62. The Azores: a chain of islands, nine of them altogether, about 800 miles west of Lisbon, Portugal. The official language is of course Portuguese and the currency is the Euro. Ponta Delgada is located on Sao Miguel, the largest of the nine Azores. We have a private 4 x 4 tour scheduled, which I’ll tell you about later in the day. As planned, we stayed in the cabin last night to watch the movie “Conviction”, with Hilary Swank and Minnie Driver.

Not much happening aboard today except the movie “Life as We Know It.” This is also the movie du jour on MUTS. In the theater tonight is Keith Fields, the same magician from a few days ago and in Vista, Motor City….. again

We visited a couple Islands in the Azores a few years ago. These were the cleanest cities I'd ever seen. Fun little cities to walk around.

Six of us were picked up at 8:15 to start our ½ day jeep tour which I had arranged thru a Cruise Critic recommendation with GreenZone tours. Our 4 x 4 held 9, so 6 with driver was fine. Our driver/guide was born locally, but his English is superb. Other than learning the language in school, he told us he learned mostly from watching movies with subtitles on TV.

There is less than a ½ million population in the Azores, but 135,000 of these inhabitants live here, in Ponta Delgada. And so do 135,000 cows. This is cow country; their major industry is dairy and beef. We saw cows everywhere, but only one bull. Lucky guy! :D

Around the port area and thru downtown, are very interesting sidewalks; designs made from light and dark lava rock. We were told that all major medical care is right here for all the islands, since this area has the major hospital as well as military helicopters which handle medical transports.

Among areas visited were Crater Lakes, the caldera of an old volcano which holds two lakes (one is blue; one is green) and separated by a narrow isthmus of lava. We saw Pico Da Barossa, a scenic overlook with views of a lake between an extinct volcano. We were off road in areas where we went only 10mph, but where our guide told us they Rally Race at 60 mph. We stopped at a small village (pop. 900); 4 had coffee, one had ice cream, I had nothing. We were told there’s one McDonald’s in the entire Azores chain, we saw one Burger King; no Starbucks. We saw many different types of architecture, both in homes and churches. We viewed a Renaissance fortress as well as 16th century low, square buildings. Hydrangea blooms everywhere, though the major month for this we were told is June. I understand there’s a major pineapple plantation in this area, but we didn’t get there.

Back to the ship for lunch and we decided to stay in for the remainder of the afternoon. The weather was very changeable. We left in a drizzle, the sun came out, we got a downpour and then drizzle again. Then dry and cloudy with ominous skies. It was enough. We’ll just have to come back again for more, though this was our 2nd time here and I’m sure there’s a whole lot that we haven’t seen.

Internet has been spotty. Will try to post this now at 2:00 PM

Pia ! Since I didn't see you around the ship this morning, congratulations on getting yours and Mike's photo on the front page of the Patter for the most cruised passengers! Awesome... See you later!

Originally Posted by Pia1913 >

4 had coffee, one had ice cream, I had nothing.

Let me guess. Mike was the one who had the ice cream.:)

Pia ! Since I didn't see you around the ship this morning, congratulations on getting yours and Mike's photo on the front page of the Patter for the most cruised passengers! Awesome... See you later!

Wow! Front page news! Was this the first time you were the most traveled? I know you've placed second, third and many times fourth. Congrats again! Maybe you'll be placing high up from now on.:D:p

Pia:

Last year when I put the sign you made for me on the Sapphire I was the lucky recipient of many complaints. :D People are amazing. I ended up removing it so that I could get some peace. Some of the CC members from last year still tease me with their latest complaints jut for fun.

Along with Jonikal, I congratulate you. It is hard being the most travelled on the T/As and long trips.

I am glad to hear that you made it in to Punta Delgada on time.

Hello to Jonikal too. :)

When we were in Punta Del gada we saw a dog on top of the lip overlooking the lake. He was a stray according to our guide. People fed him but he wouldn't come near. It was like he was just watching us. Wonder if he's still there?

Friday the 13th ; no ladders, no black cats, nothing ominous. Or is a slow and/or almost non-existent internet considered ominous? In any event, here I am again trying my best to post this which is currently a dead zone.

We moved our clocks again last night; another 23 hour day. That should be it for a while. Nothing exciting in our lives last night; went back to DaVinci and finished up the Veuve. I loved my main course; spaghetti and meatballs. Then back to the cabin to read.

Today is the Grapevine wine tasting which we get as complimentary, but since our friends will not be going, neither will we. They become Elite this cruise, but as you know that won’t count.

Scheduled today at 11:00 is port talk on LeHavre, then enrichment lecture at 12:45 - “Seven keys to being happy the rest of your life,” and our 3rd choir rehearsal at 1:00. 2:00 PM is the movie “Inception” and it will also be shown twice tonight on MUTS.

Tonight in Vista there’s Caroline Dennis, a pianist; in the theater is “Do you Wanna Dance” and in Explorer’s at 9:15 is the Liar’s Club. We haven’t made our evening plans yet, but will most likely not attend any of the above. BTW, I stopped talking about trivia, because I am tired of tying or losing by one. I equate these losses to those I have at blackjack; getting a 20 and the dealer gets 21.

Pretty cold this morning. Don’t know exact temp but has to be very low 50’s. With wind. Or lower.

Hi Pia

Thanks for the daily updates. I'm sure the slow/nonexistent internet is frustrating.

What are the differences you're seeing in the ship since the huge drydock?

There was all this hype on those daily videos Martyn made about all the changes but so far, from your posts, it sounds like not all that much is different.

Pia:

We are all loving your posts from the Grand. It's been great to hear how things are immediately after the eventful drydock.

I would just mention one thing, which is to point out that from the perspective of all of us Cruise Critic board readers, it seems like all of your posts are appearing exactly on the right day, regardless of any internet issues onboard. Nearly every one of your posts mentions slow or spotty internet, yet somehow we are seeing your daily, or multiple-daily updates nearly without delay.

Just wanted to reassure you that things seem fine from our end.

Enjoy...

I have also been reading your thread avidly -- my husband and I are boarding Grand Princess in Southampton Saturday. We were hoping to write some blog posts from the ship for Cruisecritic.co.uk but Pia, your Internet travails are concerning.

If there's anything I can report on once you're done (and this question goes out to all and sundry -- any concerns or updates as well) please let me know at editor@cruisecritic.co.uk and I'll do my best to carry-on.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

This ship is freezing. Outside sun is shining, but very windy, which makes it difficult to sit out there. Inside is colder than outside. It’s been a lazy day; no real activity other than trivia. Had my choir rehearsal and a late lunch, which made it too late to attend the wine tasting. Our invitation said 3:00 PM in Botticelli, but somewhere along the way they changed it to Michelangelo. I heard there was a line from Michelangelo wrapped all around the Atrium and extending past Vines. We will have our wine same as we do every day; around 5:00 PM -inour cabin or in the cabin of our friends. That and some cheese and crackers, makes for a very pleasant wine time. Tonight is formal night #2; we’re not participating.

There seems to be a major hot water problem on board, but fortunately we have all we need and have had it from the beginning. The usual toilet problems have also occurred in some lines, and again we are fortunate that ours only lasted a whole 10 minutes. Methinks I’d better not say it out loud………….ya’ nevah know. ;)

It’s almost dinner time; wine and cheese time is over. We’re “dining” in Horizon Ct., a perfect venue for a formal night’s meal. The only thing they probably won’t have up there is lobster. We have a choice of three movies to watch on TV, so our night is set.

With regard to internet, today it's great. Yes,my posts are timely, but I've used lots of minutes to get them that way. Thanks Carolyn, for your kind remarks. I'd love to meet up with you in Southampton, but we'll be on our way into London.

See ya…………….

Pia, thanks for once again sharing your cruise with us. I will be on the Grand next January so I have been very interested in hearing about the changes on the ship. Have a wonderful rest of your cruise! :p

Archived