LIVE from the GRAND PRINCESS - FLL to Southampton 5/5/11

Pia1913

Hi Pia,

Happy Mother's Day! Thank you for your live thread! We did book the Grand for this upcoming November. I had some hesitation as we have 6 new cruisers with us but feel so much better reading your posts about the new updates! Can't wait to sail on her!

I look forward to cruising along with you! Good luck with trivia!

Hi Pia

Thanks for all of the updates. I may be the only person that will still try Leaves. I love a good cup of tea.

Is the Revolution tea still available at the IC or have they done away with it entirely ?

Also, what is the point of the Elite/Suite cocktail hour if the drinks are the same price all over the ship?

My advice would be to go see "The King's Speech" and go to the second rehearsal of the choir.

I hope it gets warmer again!

Free hors d'oeuvres!

Glad you enjoyed Alfredo's pizza, were glasses of water served automatically (as in the dinning room) or did your friend have to buy bottled water ? The reason I ask is that when we were on the Sea Princess, we went to the pizza cafe at the top of the atrium and although we ordered beers with our pizza they refused us glasses of tap water. If we wanted water we had to buy a bottle.

Who is currently the Captain Circle Hostess on board ?

You know what they say about the weather; wait five minutes and it will change. Well, today’s overcast cool day turned into a sunny warm one. I suppose it was due to the unexpected change of course, but we appreciated being able to sit out on the balcony for a while. Lost by one in the morning’s trivia; getting to be a habit.

Saw The King’s Speech this afternoon. WOW! Now I know why this was Academy Award material. Loved it! We have gotten into the habit of wine time at 5:00 each evening with our friends Gloria and Lew. One day in their cabin; one day in ours. If the weather holds, we can have it on the balcony, which is what we did today. That and snackies taken from the Plat/Elite lounge. We certainly have more space than they do.

Since I had to miss the first choir rehearsal, I spoke to the person on the cruise staff who was handling it and she very nicely gave me the material and told me today had just been a setup. So, I can happily attend the next one.

We are planning to see the hypnotist tonight, so this will be an early evening signoff. See you in the morning.

Answers:

1. I don't drink tea; will try to see if Revolution is there.

2. Water in Alfredo's; you don't have to buy; tap water with ice is still free and yes, they serve it upon request.

3. Captain's Circle Hostesss is Crissy Reid, someone we have sailed with previously. She is from South Africa.

Pia,

A quick and probably stupid question, and I apologize for asking it. You mentioned in your last post about taking snacks from the platinum/elite lounge. What is that, is it on every ship, or something new with the Grand refurb, what is included, etc? We are platinum, but I hadn't heard about any type of platinum/elite lounge except for embarkation/disembarkation.

Thanks again, really enjoying your live thread!

Mike

Pia,

A quick and probably stupid question, and I apologize for asking it. You mentioned in your last post about taking snacks from the platinum/elite lounge. What is that, is it on every ship, or something new with the Grand refurb, what is included, etc? We are platinum, but I hadn't heard about any type of platinum/elite lounge except for embarkation/disembarkation.

Thanks again, really enjoying your live thread!

Mike

On the other Grand Class ships they have a Platinum/Elite special every evening from 5 - 7? in the Skywalkers. They have an assortment of cheeses, crackers, olives and usually a different special each night. Sometimes shrimp, steak tartar, etc. I'm sure they are doing it in one of the lounges on the Grand. Not sure where they have it on the Island/Coral or the Diamond.

On the other Grand Class ships they have a Platinum/Elite special every evening from 5 - 7? in the Skywalkers. They have an assortment of cheeses, crackers, olives and usually a different special each night. Sometimes shrimp, steak tartar, etc. I'm sure they are doing it in one of the lounges on the Grand. Not sure where they have it on the Island/Coral or the Diamond.

On the Coral it was in the back corner of the Wheelhouse. On the Royal (:( ) it was either in Sabatinis or the Steakhouse, whichever wasn't open that night.

On the Coral it was in the back corner of the Wheelhouse. On the Royal (:( ) it was either in Sabatinis or the Steakhouse, whichever wasn't open that night.
When we were on the Coral it was in the back of Explorers, but on the Coral there are windows there so a reasonable view for a few. The Diamond and Sapphire have a Skywalkers like all other Grand class ships (that is except for the original Grand class ship now) :(

Pia mentioned in one of her answers to that question that it was in a sectioned off area of

Explorer's Lounge..which she felt was not a very good location. Possibly they will change the venue when One5 is available. Maybe she will have a more definitive answer.

And Pia, glad Mr. Sun came out for you to enjoy your balcony. Say "Hi" to Gloria and Lew for me.

Pia, I'm enjoying your live, as always. Thank you for keeping us updated. Glad you're getting to do Princess Pop Choir -- I can't wait to do this on my next cruise. What are some of the songs to be performed?

Meanwhile, hope you guys get some more bonus warm days.

Thank you for doing this "live" report. My husband and I were scheduled to sail with you but had to cancel due to our automobile accident in early April. My husband enjoys me reading to him at the hospital about the happenings on the cruise we missed.

Since I had to miss the first choir rehearsal, I spoke to the person on the cruise staff who was handling it and she very nicely gave me the material and told me today had just been a setup. So, I can happily attend the next one.

I joined the choir when I was on the Grand a couple months ago. On the 14 day cruise, the first rehearsal I went to was the group's 3rd or 4th. They had no problem taking me in. The Director gave me the songs and I had no problem catching up. I'm not a great singer but it truly was a great experience. Make sure you join.

Here is the youtube video of my performance.

Hi Pia! :) Thanks for taking your cruise on the Grand and doing the "live from" reports. Love all the detail.

We have to wait until December for our next cruise so your "live from the Grand" totally works for us in the meantime.

Good Monday morning and welcome to the start of another calm sea day. I hope. Again forecast is partly cloudy with temps in the 60’s. We’ll just wait and see. Meanwhile, though calm, we have very strong winds. We lost an hour of sleep last night and will again tonight. I sleep well so it doesn’t bother me at all.

We did in fact attend the hypnotist show last night, though I doubt anyone was actually “put under.” There were a few participants who were really into it and that made for quite a bit of laughter. Said hypnotist, David Knight, will be doing what he refers to as a Naked Seminar this morning. Translated this means that he will reveal the secrets to stopping smoking, weight loss, pain relief and more. This will take place at 10:00. We’re going to trivia.

11:00 AM brings another port lecture, this time it’s Greenock, Scotland; only a hop and skip to Edinburgh. At 12:45, “Mr. Personality” is presenting a lecture on attitudes. He really should be practicing what he’s preaching.

In the theater at 2:00 will be the movie Country Strong with Gwyneth Paltrow. I need to research this; don’t recall whether or not we’ve seen it.

Tonight in Vista is another show with the magician, in the theater is a pianist, Caroline Dennis and MUTS is showing The Next Three Days with Russell Crowe. We will be watching Secretariat in our cabin. Also, our CD announced that the Crown Grill is ready and will open for business tonight.

Satellite problems overnight; hope this posts. TV isn't working on anything other than pre-recorded stuff.

Later.

Thanks Pia for your reports from the Grand. Notice that the port talks have featured Dublin and Grennock but no mention of Holyead, my home town. My DW is taking the day off work to see the 'new' Grand Princess. Do you know if the ship is going to call here on the 18th May?

Many thanks

Richardj.

Pia - thanks for the live! I've wondered hoe it would be to sail a transatlantic cruise.

A note about the hypnotist- I'm sure it depends on the actual hypnotist. On our Panama Canal trip in Feb/Mar this year, my husband decided to give it a try. I think he was thinking it was fake. Well, he found out he is very easily hypnotized! He remembers everything, but did whatever was suggested - including boxing like Rocky and falling to the ground when he was "knocked out". I just wished it would have been recorded!

Have a fabulous cruise!

Pia,

Just curious to how far along in your seas days you are? 3 of 5, or 4 of 5 etc...

Could you post you lat/long postion or GPS location that they show on the Princess channel? I am just curious to how far you have travelled?

Thank-you,

Andrew

Why is it every time we turn around it’s time for dinner? Where does the day go? Morning trivia, mid morning IC coffee break, lunch in the dining room, pm trivia and Poof!……….day is over. In between of course is yak yak yak. Still haven’t finished reading one book.

Our CD made an announcement this morning that we were half way to Ponta Delgada, so if all goes well, we should get there on time. Sort of. We have lost a whole day plus at least 12 additional hours because of the critically ill passenger. We have heard nothing pro or con, so do hope he is on the road to recovery in Bermuda.

The seas have changed; lots of rocking and rolling. Nothing insurmountable. They finally found us a TV remote, though we watch so little of it that it hadn’t made much of a difference. This afternoon we saw Country Strong. I managed a few little naps and still missed nothing.

Yesterday someone asked about the songs for the Pop Choir. They are: Sweet Caroline, Oh What A Night, Isn’t She Lovely, Waterloo, We are the Champions and It’s not Unusual. I don’t know when there will be a rehearsal next. Will advise.

It’s almost seven and we’re going to dinner. I understand there’s been a problem with the internet all day. If this posts; good. Otherwise, you will see it eventually from a copy and paste.

Answers:

1. Yes, we are going to Holyhead. I intend to drop in on the newlyweds.:D

2. Latitude/Longitude? Me, you're asking? hahahaha :eek: We were supposed to have 7 sea days; leave on Thursday and get to Portugal on Thursday. We left on the 6th instead, but still expect to be in Portugal on the 12th.

See you tomorrow.

Pia

Did I miss it? Have you talked anything about the International Cafe area? Has it changed much from some of the other ships you have sailed on? Is the layout still pretty much the same? How about the Library and tea room. What are your thoughts? I know you don't drink tea but how does the room look? Is it comfortable for reading and quiet? And last but not least how are the GOODIES in the International Cafe. As yummy as ever? Any changes to the menu?

Happy Sailing

Joe

Archived