LIVE from the GRAND PRINCESS - FLL to Southampton 5/5/11

Pia1913

...........And someone please explain the Yankee Swap.

Signing off for today. See you in the morning.

Great Live-From Pia, looking forward to the rest of the story.

Now, the YGE. You can Google it and come up with many variants, but the following is my twist on the game. The key rule is number 7 where you force someone to "steal" a gift and precipitate a round of exchanges. In a group of strangers most people become very polite and just go to the pile. The game is over quick and rather ho-hum. However, when the good presents begin to make the rounds it perks everyone up.

1. All gifts, wrapped but with no names or other identifying information will be placed in one spot in the middle of the room

2. All players are assigned a number. Pieces of paper with numbers on them are put into in a hat so that there is a number for each person playing.

3. The game begins by drawing a number, and the player assigned that number selects a gift, unwraps it and shows it to the other players.

4. Play continues by drawing numbers with the player having that number either choosing a gift from the pile or taking any opened gift from a previous player. Any player losing a gift this way can in that turn either take a gift from someone else or pick from the pile of wrapped gifts, and thereby ending that round.

The organizers reserve the right to limit time used in picking/taking gifts (we may hurry you!)

5. If a gift is taken from someone during one round, they cannot take it back during that same round. They can, however, take it back in a later round if in a position to take a gift.

6. When subsequent players take their turns, they either select a new gift or take a gift from any of the other players. Any player who has a gift taken away proceeds as in step 4.

7. If after any three consecutive turns no gift has been “exchanged” the next player cannot take a wrapped gift but must take an opened gift from someone else.

8. Once a specific gift has been taken three times, it is retired and it and the player holding is out of the game with their prize.

9. The next to the last turn is taken by the player that went first.

10. The last player can either take a gift from someone else precipitating a last round of swapping, or take the final unopened gift in which case the game is over.

Hi, Pia! It's too bad you can't use the coffee card in Leaves. I wonder how long that will last. Not being a coffee drinker I use my coffee card for tea. But can you get the Revolution tea in the International Cafe like on other ships? That you needed a coffee card for to get it. I watched Martyn's video and thought I saw you once but it may not have been outside the shops. How does she look without Skywalker's. What did they put in its place? Where is your cabin located on this one?

First of all: Thank you Pia.

My prediction: Leaves will be a resounding failure! Yes -- I am a tea drinker and have done tea tasting and bought very expensive tea in Beijing. Now let us see what they can throw in for the $3 tea to make it work -- all the accoutrements of the afternoon tea? BTW the chocolate store on Star is a failure as revenue producer.

Hi, Pia! It's too bad you can't use the coffee card in Leaves. I wonder how long that will last. Not being a coffee drinker I use my coffee card for tea. But can you get the Revolution tea in the International Cafe like on other ships? That you needed a coffee card for to get it.

Thanks all for the explanation for Yankee Trader Game...I have played it but we call it a

Chinese Exchange too with very similar rules. We play it at holiday time. Lots of fun and lots of laughs. Hope you had a great time at yours.

Wow, #1. Congratulations!!..how many of the crystal pieces do you own?

Pia,

Thank you for posting. I am looking forward to reading about the new and improved Grand during your crossing. One day, I hope to also be the number one cruiser onboard! Congratulations! :D

I hope you're having a wonderful cruise Pia. It's great that you're creating these posts live on the newly refurb Grand. I hope you get a chance to check out the new One5 nightclub at least one night. If you do, please let us know what it's like. Thanks

Hi Pia - I have just been introduced to your Live thread and it's great - better than a British soap opera :)

I am on the Grand on the 28th to Norway for the first time. I have heard about soda cards. Are they still available and what is the current cost per person including service etc?

With thanks - and looking forward to your next online post - Rachael

Thank you for sharing your cruise experience. We are taking our first ever cruise on the Grand in January so I look forward to each of your updates. I have been watching the bridge cam and so far looks like smooth sailing. Have a wonderful trip!

Good Saturday Morning at sea which is pretty calm. Weather is overcast/cloudy with a chance of rain, but highs are expected to reach 75. We’d better enjoy the warmer weather, since soon we’ll be getting a bit cooler.

Last night we chose to see Steve Bruner in the Vista Lounge. He was pretty funny and had some newer material than we hadn’t heard the last time around. We also learned something new last night which will make some of you unhappy; Power Hour after 8:00 PM is no longer in operation. Instead, the Power Hour is from 4:00 to 6:00, and like the Elite/Plat. Lounge, drinks are now $3.99. In addition, price of mocktails has been increased to $4.00.

Today’s agenda has a port lecture at 11:00 on Cobh (pronounced Cove): Gateway to the Emerald Isle, followed by another lecture at 1:00; Strategies for Stress-Free Living. At 2:00 in the theater will be the movie The Town (Ben Affleck), and also at 2:00 Where in the World trivia in Vista. Outside at MUTS is Tron: Legacy starring Jeff Bridges.

Tonight’s entertainment will be the production show Stardust in the theater and Steve Bruner again in Vista. I think we might opt to see “The Tourist” on our cabin TV. BTW, talking about TV’s, most cabins are remote handicapped; ours are one of them. It seems that the workmen threw all the zappers together in a huge pile and they still haven’t weeded out what belongs to what. No problem; we know how to press buttons and we also come from a generation that didn’t have remotes. Did I mention we have new flat screen TV’s? Very nice.

Oh yes, tonight is first formal night and also Captain’s Champagne

Waterfall Party 7:15 to 8:00 in the Piazza. We will pass. On both.

Answers:

1. Asst. CD is Matt

2. Cabins - nothing new in them, but I like those rock mattresses

3. Can't go up to old Skywalkers area yet, though we were told the new club would be open for us before the end of cruise

4. Not that you asked, but window suites are not finished and were not sold. Supposed to be ready for next cruise.

It's feeding time. Bye.

Hi Pia,

Congrats on being #1. Maybe one day we'll get there;), but it won't be years or more likely decades.

Thank-you for your answer to my question. Have a great day!

Andrew

Hi, Pia

Hope you are having a relaxing cruise. How is seating at the "new" Horizon Court?

Is the Crown Grill open? If not, will it be at some point during the cruise?

Are the seas still calm... any seasickness?

B

Pia;

Sounds like your Friday was quite enjoyable. I've noted from your posts that several of the areas arn't open yet the cruise is underway. What are your opiniions on sailing the ship brefore all the upgrades are finished?

Keep your great reports coming.....:):):)

Bob

Archived