LIVE from the GRAND PRINCESS - FLL to Southampton 5/5/11

Pia1913

Good Saturday morning; cold, clear, very windy and our last day at sea. As of tomorrow we start 6 port days in a row. Today I get to run from one venue to another and also get to change clothes several times. Just finished at the gym, will change into jeans shortly, then get dressed for our noon Most Traveled luncheon. Of course back into jeans afterwards, another choir practice and change again for dinner. I’m tired already.

Things to do today are a culinary demo in the theater at 10:15, with a galley tour to follow. The big 75% off sale (hahaha) begins at 10:00 in Michelangelo, at 11:30 a Southampton port talk, also at that time is another Pub lunch in Crown Grill. When they had this a few days ago, people were lined up before 11 and that line stayed active until 2:00 PM.

At 12:30 the lecture is “How Gratitude will improve the quality of your Life” and at 2:00 the movie, True Grit.

Tonight’s entertainment is that same hypnotist in the theater and a classical concert in Vista. MUTS is showing Country Strong. I can’t imagine anyone being out there watching anything, since high for today is only expected to be 55. It’s Country Western night in Explorer’s followed by Princess Pop Star karaoke. Also, the venue for the Suite/Elite/Plat Lounge has changed. They took it out of Explorer’s (where it never should have been) and are now holding it in Vista. Still 5:00 to 7:00, still $3.99. Tonight’s special is shrimp fountain and a Cosmo.

Internet flying this morning. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Hi there

Really enjoying all the news from this cruise. We are booked on the Grand Princess departing S'ton on 29th June to the Med and Adriatic and are celebrating our Ruby Wedding Anniversary whilst on board. This will be our first Princess cruise, and I would appreciate the concensus of opinion as to which onboard Restaurant would be best in which to celebrate our Anniversary. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

As an aside, we've just found out that our Queen bed cabin C501 can only be set as a twin following the refit. If there is anyone on board that can give me some idea as to how C501 has been affected it would be great.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Sandra

Good Saturday morning; cold, clear, very windy and our last day at sea. As of tomorrow we start 6 port days in a row. Today I get to run from one venue to another and also get to change clothes several times. Just finished at the gym, will change into jeans shortly, then get dressed for our noon Most Traveled luncheon. Of course back into jeans afterwards, another choir practice and change again for dinner. I’m tired already.

Things to do today are a culinary demo in the theater at 10:15, with a galley tour to follow. The big 75% off sale (hahaha) begins at 10:00 in Michelangelo, at 11:30 a Southampton port talk, also at that time is another Pub lunch in Crown Grill. When they had this a few days ago, people were lined up before 11 and that line stayed active until 2:00 PM.

At 12:30 the lecture is “How Gratitude will improve the quality of your Life” and at 2:00 the movie, True Grit.

Tonight’s entertainment is that same hypnotist in the theater and a classical concert in Vista. MUTS is showing Country Strong. I can’t imagine anyone being out there watching anything, since high for today is only expected to be 55. It’s Country Western night in Explorer’s followed by Princess Pop Star karaoke. Also, the venue for the Suite/Elite/Plat Lounge has changed. They took it out of Explorer’s (where it never should have been) and are now holding it in Vista. Still 5:00 to 7:00, still $3.99. Tonight’s special is shrimp

fountain and a Cosmo.

Internet flying this morning. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........

Pia;

Thanks for the report. Enjoy the rest of your day.....:):):)

Bob

Saturday afternoon at sea; still cold, but seas are calm. Lost again at trivia, but that’s nothing unusual. Today there could have been a score of 25 and we got 20. The only other team with a higher score was at 24. Not even in the ballpark.

Our most traveled luncheon was great. Main course choices were tiger shrimp wrapped in parma ham or a filet. I had chicken and broccoli, which I had requested in advance. The risotto with lobster appetizer was out of this world. Sat next to Capt. Herriott who told us he was going on vacation end of June and Capt. Roger Bilton would be taking over for the two months he’ll be away. He will then come back and stay with the Grand until the end of the year and is going to be assigned another ship. At this time he does not as yet know which one.

Went to DaVinci for dinner; had to do it - my favorites. Escargot and French onion soup. Yum. To the person who asked about a specific cabin, sorry, there is no way I can check out cabins.

We are in Cobh (Cove) Ireland tomorrow and on a tour which departs at 7:30. So, there is a possibility that I won’t be posting early in the AM. Going to try and sleep fast tonight, since we have to get up at 6:00. Bye.

Did they bring on a folkloric show in Cobh? They did for our cruise years ago and it was fantastic. The costumes were beautiful and the kids adorable. Very talented. The Irish dancing made you want to kick up your heels with them.

We were in Cobh just a week or so ago from Independence of the Seas. We did an e-coach trip round Cork, then to Blarney Castle and the Stone (beautiful gardens), then for a beer in the pub just outside the Castle gardens, and a visit next door to the Blarney Woolen Mill. They then took us to Kinsale where we had a 2 hour stop for Lunch (more beer) and then back for a quick tour round Cobh - all done in wind and rain.:( Shame really, but we didn't let it stop us enjoying the trip.

Meanwhile on the boat ......... a local Irish Dance Troup entertained those who stayed behind.

Hope the weather stays fine for you all.:)

It’s very early Sunday morning and we’ve just arrived into Cobh (a/k/a Cork), Ireland. Skies are overcast with an expected high of only 57 degrees.

We’ll be leaving shortly on a day tour to Blarney Castle and other places I did not ask about. This is not a Princess tour and I like to be surprised. I’ll tell you all about it tonight or tomorrow.

A short blurb about tonight’s schedule:

1. 4:30 Local Irish dance trouple in the Piazza

2. Princess theater - Comedy ventriloquist Jimmy Tamley

3. Vista - movie Kings Speech

4. MUTS - Burlesque

Off we go.

It’s very early Sunday morning and we’ve just arrived into Cobh (a/k/a Cork), Ireland. Skies are overcast with an expected high of only 57 degrees.

We’ll be leaving shortly on a day tour to Blarney Castle and other places I did not ask about. This is not a Princess tour and I like to be surprised. I’ll tell you all about it tonight or tomorrow.

4. MUTS - Burlesque

Off we go.

...are you still traveling with any Starbucks Via packets?...LOL:D:eek::D

Hi Gemlea

The deck plan shows your cabin as 3rd/4th Person can be accomodated.

This will be two Pullman bunks.

If configured as Queen it will result in a headbanging situation.

hope this helps

Chris.

4. MUTS - Burlesque

Off we go.

Is MUTS offering Electric Blankets?! :p

Hi Pia

Thank you for your most interesting account of life on board. We are joining the Grand on 15th June....hope they get the heating sorted before we head up to the Arctic Circle!

You've mentioned the choir a few times...sounds like fun. Can you give me any further details, are there auditions etc?.

Have a good time on the rest of your trip, and look forward to your reports.

Debbie

Did you kiss the Blarney Stone?

Hi Gemlea

The deck plan shows your cabin as 3rd/4th Person can be accomodated.

This will be two Pullman bunks.

If configured as Queen it will result in a headbanging situation.

hope this helps

Chris.

Hi Chris. I did wonder if that was going to be the case! If yes, then Princess and our TA have both dropped one!! Thanks for your input.

Went to Cobh on the World Cruise - what a beautiful little city. We did our own tour and took a train from the ship to the city center and then a public bus to the Blarney Castle - of course we kissed the stone and explored the ruins of the castle. Gardens were fab and full of roses.

Fun little town - it was raining then too, so we had a hot chocolate and scone at one of the little shops outside the castle....bought my daughter a 'irish clatter ring' there also - she loves it.

Great memories - hope you enjoyed the tour Pia....sounds like a great cruise....

Sorry about the trivia streak (of losing)....I must have rubbed off on you!! tee hee

Dolores

We’re back. Nine hours with Butler’s Buses - Ecoach. Our guide was fantastic; never stopped talking. Informative and funny. Our day @19.95 euros was a bargain. Even the weather was good. He told us it usually rains 2 out of 3 days and this was the off day

We started with a short drive around Cork; approx. ½ hour past the port. Then off to Blarney Castle. I must mention that our bus #1 was first out of the port before anyone else, which also means we hit no crowds and were first for everything. Especially those who chose to climb the 120 steps to kiss the Blarney Stone. We didn’t do it when we were here back in 1993 and we didn’t do it this time either. Our friend Lew did, and we have a photo to prove it. We then spent some time in the large Blarney Woolen Mills and in their store/ coffee shop. I bought a pedestal mug and we had coffee.

Afterwards off to Kinsale, an 18th century village. Lots of shops and boutiques, though since it’s Sunday, most were closed. We did find a supermarket; yes, bought another bottle of wine and also a huge scone. Haven’t yet tasted the scone or the wine. We also attended a small outdoor craft market and had a quickie lunch; I.e. soup, sandwich, coffee.

We had multiple photo stops as well as a visit to a magnificent cathedral very close to the port. All in all a long, and very enjoyable day.

ANSWERS:

1. Yes, lots of Via with me.

2. MUTS - sorry, no electric blankets. hahaha

3. No auditions for choir; they sort you according to voice

4. If I got any more of the "gift of gab" it would be scary, so no Blarney Stone kissing for me.

Pia,

After 10+ days on the new Grand I was wondering what your impressions are of the the changes? Is Alfredo's and/or Leaves being well utilized? How is the traffic flow and seating in the HC?

We will be doing our first TA next year. You haven't mentioned many production shows. The singers and dances are onboard. Do they space the shows out because of the length of the cruise?

Thank you, Pia, for your very informative reviews. We sail on Grand on 28th May and my family are very keen on sport. Now that you are near the Irish / British coast, please could you tell us if the TV can pick up the Sky Sports channel? Thank you very much.

We hope the weather is kind to you over the next week.

Pia,

After 10+ days on the new Grand I was wondering what your impressions are of the the changes? Is Alfredo's and/or Leaves being well utilized? How is the traffic flow and seating in the HC?

We will be doing our first TA next year. You haven't mentioned many production shows. The singers and dances are onboard. Do they space the shows out because of the length of the cruise?

Where exactly is Alfredo's located.....

Bob

The one time we were at Blarney Castle we didn't get to climb up. A passenger from the ship climbed up, had a heart attack and died right at the top. He shouldn't have been climbing those steep stairs to begin with. It took quite a while to get him down. So we got to spend some extra time at the woolen mill shop. Glad you had such a nice day out and about.

Archived