Quad Cabins, Who Cruises In Them

sludger

Just wondering who would be the typical occupants of a quad cabin.

The obvious is a family. But they are sold to groups of adults.

I couldn't think of anything worse than being in a cabin with 3 other adults and wondered if this is common in the U.S.

Paul

I had a bunch of inside quads across from me. They looked like girls in their early 20s. Girls who are young enough to not mind and want to spend their disposable money on drinking?? I do know they were still knocking on doors and bouncing around and knocking on doors at 2:30 am. Luckily they were not really lound.

I had a bunch of inside quads across from me. They looked like girls in their early 20s. Girls who are young enough to not mind and want to spend their disposable money on drinking?? I do know they were still knocking on doors and bouncing around and knocking on doors at 2:30 am. Luckily they were not really lound.

With the low price of cruises in the U.S. you would have to be seriously short of cash to consider it though surely.

The cost of cruising is surely affordable enough to at least have a twin.

I would think that the quads would be reserved for families only.

paul

Our kids & grand-daughters had a quad OV on the Elation. The girls were too young to have their own cabin and parents did not want to split up. The next step up from OV on the Elation would've been suite and that was getting pricey for 4 people. The youngest granddaughter only weighs 40 lbs LOL, so I guess you could say it was more like 3-1/2 people in the room. Also, the girls were in the pool so much, they probably skipped a shower here and there which helped with the 4 people sharing a bath.

Fire... I don't see how those young 20-somethings across the hall from you could've shared a bath for FIVE DAYS haha. I'd hate to see all the girlie girl crap they must've had spread out across that vanity :)

I would think it would be mostly college kids who are used to having tight spaces and limited privacy. They are just sleeping and showering in the cabin so they don't care. They are on board for the party. Other than that, I would say families. We are thinking of taking our grandchildren with us, and they are 4 and 7 so clearly they can not be in a cabin alone, might be tight, but we will survive.:)

We did a quad balcony on our first "family " cruise on the Destiny. It was our family honeymoon and the kids were 7 & 8 at the time. While we made due & had an amazing cruise together, this was the only time we ever shared a cabin. Always put the kids accross the hall in an inside after this & it made for much happier campers!!

I paid for a cruise for all my kids and grandkids for Xmas 5 cabins in total thay were grouped as families 4 to a cabin. In my cabin (balcony) we had 4 me,mom, youngest daughter and her college roommate. It all worked out fine my mom and I got up earlier and the girls stayed up later. No fighting over the bathroom and the girls were very quite when they came in never woke us up.

On a typical holiday season cruise, how many of these quad cabins would have four adults sharing, you'll have to excuse the stupid questions but I am just interested.

Paul

I dont know how anyone would know the ages overall?? Call Carnival?? But I bet its inside information.

As you probably know Carnival typically sails at about 104% .. this is because they count the double cabins as full and the 3/4/5 pax as the extras, so holidays they might be 120% and the one I just got off of might be at 95%. The 104% is just the average.

With the low price of cruises in the U.S. you would have to be seriously short of cash to consider it though surely.

The cost of cruising is surely affordable enough to at least have a twin.

I would think that the quads would be reserved for families only.

paul

They don't "reserve" quads for any one demographic, if 4 girl friends, frat brothers, sisters, 2 couples or whatever booked the room (and meet age requirements etc) they aren't going to turn them down because they aren't a mom, dad and kiddies.

I dont know how anyone would know the ages overall?? Call Carnival?? But I bet its inside information.

As you probably know Carnival typically sails at about 104% .. this is because they count the double cabins as full and the 3/4/5 pax as the extras, so holidays they might be 120% and the one I just got off of might be at 95%. The 104% is just the average.

Thanks for replying I know this all sounds a bit stupid, I didn't know that Carnival sail out at 104% where would you be able to get that information?

Is there a site that tells you the pax on cruises.

Thanks again

Paul

Just a point of reference for the OP. We had a triple cabin on a different line for a 14 day transatlantic. We were all between 45 & 55 years old and managed fine. There were the two twin beds and a sleeper sofa (more like a day bed with the bolsters removed from the back).

I can't comment on a quad room, but we really didn't have any problems at all with three adults. I was an early riser, went out on the balcony and read while the others decided if they wanted to get up. I usually ate breakfast by myself in the buffet and then we met up occasionally during the day to find out what each had planned to do.

Thanks for replying I know this all sounds a bit stupid, I didn't know that Carnival sail out at 104% where would you be able to get that information?

Thanks again

Paul

I got it from Carnival's earnings broadcast... I am also a stock holder.

On my very first cruise (25 since) - it was Mom, Sis and myself. We shared an inner quad cabin. Sis and I took turns in one of the upper bunks, while Mom always slept below. Our cruise fair was pittance and since we were family there was no modesty. We loved being together and spending our money elsewhere. I was about 30 years old at the time, Sis was 25 and Mom was 46. Worked well for us even tho we were all "high" maintenance, plenty of blow dryers and heat curlers and a lot of need for mirror space (LOL).

Thanks again

Paul

If you are asking if there is a site that tells you the names of pax?? I should hope not, that is confidential information, at least I should hope it is. I would hate to think there is a website that would tell the world when I am gone from my home for vacation.

To your origianl post, we have taken an 8 day cruise had 2 connecting rooms with 7 people in them, 4 in one and 3 in the other. Not a problem considering the most we are actually in a room is to sleep and shower. The one we are doing next is 4 in a room and we are planning another for Sept. an 8 day one and putting 4 in that room. We do not spend a lot of time in our room and have not had any problems doing it this way. One reason we do it this way is to save money and that means more spending/drinking money.

We are taking our entire family on a cruise and booked our daughter, son-in-law and grandbabies in a quad. The baby's will be four and 6 when sailing, so I'm sure they will be fine. Plus there are 3 more cabins next door and one across the hall if extra showers or space is needed!

Just wondering who would be the typical occupants of a quad cabin.
Whoever they are, I don't want to be anywhere near them.

Recently we had a buncha people from the Harlem/Bronx-kinda-area near us

and they wuz to-ing and fro-ing whole night, banging on each other's cabin doors,

leaving trays of uneaten French Fries out in the hallway..

Wreckage-350.jpg

can you say Tackeeeeee?

and other undesireble and uncivilized behaviours! :eek:

Show some class, fer crying out loud!

If you are asking if there is a site that tells you the names of pax?? I should hope not, that is confidential information, at least I should hope it is. I would hate to think there is a website that would tell the world when I am gone from my home for vacation.

To your origianl post, we have taken an 8 day cruise had 2 connecting rooms with 7 people in them, 4 in one and 3 in the other. Not a problem considering the most we are actually in a room is to sleep and shower. The one we are doing next is 4 in a room and we are planning another for Sept. an 8 day one and putting 4 in that room. We do not spend a lot of time in our room and have not had any problems doing it this way. One reason we do it this way is to save money and that means more spending/drinking money.

In the room with 4 people, were you all adults? We are planning our first cruise in Oct. and have booked 1 room for DH and myself and 2 adult children. Are we going to be falling over ourselves?

We have booked 1 cabin for DH and myself -and 2 adult children.

Are we going to be falling over ourselves?

Oh no.

Well OK maybe a little...around preparation time for Dinner

when everyone's looking to get showered and changed for the evening.

But maybe that's not your lifestyle on board

and maybe also you guys could arrange to do things in shifts

so the all-four of you aren't in the cabin at the same time?

In the room with 4 people, were you all adults? We are planning our first cruise in Oct. and have booked 1 room for DH and myself and 2 adult children. Are we going to be falling over ourselves?

The room with 4 contained Myself, DH, and 2 teenage boys who were adult sized. The boys were hardly ever in there unless sleeping or getting ready for dinner.

A quad room is not that bad if modesty is not an issue. It's really hard to get dressed in those tiny bathrooms. That was the major drawback to the teens being in there with us.

Just because cruises can be affordable with lower occupancy, doesn't mean that everybody thinks the additional cost is a good investment. My husband and I are booked on a 5-night cruise in October with our three teenagers (two 14-year old boys and a 15-year old girl). All five of us are all sharing one standard-size interior cabin. The trip came to a grand total of $1,100 for all five of us AFTER taxes and fees. It would have cost $1,550 for us to get two interior (not connected) rooms. We easily could have afforded it, but I have no desire to spend an extra $450 (41% increase in price) just so we can have two cabins that we aren't planning to spend any time in anyway. Yes, we'll be packed like sardines in that little room together, but there are an awful lot of ways I'd prefer to spend $450 than on an extra room. I'm not judging people who choose to spend their money fancier rooms, but there are plenty of people out there like me who prefer to live a frugal lifestyle and value quantity over quality (to an extent). I would much prefer to take three cruises in a cramped room than two cruises separate interior rooms (and I doubt I'd EVER pay extra for an ocean-view or balcony room unless it was only a few dollars more than the interior).

If you look at my signature, you will see all the cruises we sailed in quad cabins. We did it for a few reasons: 1. we had a balcony, which worked as an extra room for us 2. We had a special needs child, and couldn't have her "away" from us - even in an adjoining cabin at that time. 3. It was a heck of a lot cheaper getting 1 cabin for 4 of us, especially during the high season times we travel.

Our last few holiday cruises, we have splurged and gotten 2 cabins - before that we became very creative over the years in getting "alone" time in the cabin.:cool::p:D DH also used to shower in the gym/spa to free up the bathroom. We had an arangement that worked for clothing space. (there is a large drawer under the sofa/bed that one dd always used.) Now that my "kids" are older we splurge once a year for adjoining balcony cabins. We made it work, and never felt overly squished!

We have always taken quad balcony cabins for our family. The kids get the bunk bed arrangement (murphy bed over the sofa bed). We haven't done it on Carnival since they were 10 & 8 and we did upgrade to a minisuite on the Crown Princess. But we're giving the quad a shot again and the kids are 13 & 11. During the day, there are few times when all of us are in the room at the same time. We got a spa balcony on the Magic this summer and I'll probably use the spa shower to make things easier. I wouldn't do it with adults. When the kids get a little older, I'll think about getting a balcony and an inside accross from it.

Sailed in a quad on our last cruise with two kids (ages 6 & 7)...I think it would be fine with four adults if you don't want to spend a lot of time in the cabin...I would be fine doing it just to sleep and get ready. We had a quad balcony, which did help, because DH and I could hang out on the balcony while the kids were showering. Also, the kids were out of the cabin more than we were...they loved Camp Carnival and we actually had to "draw straws" on who was going to go pick them up at camp at midnight! I would think this would translate the same for adults who are busy doing a lot of ship activities (dancing, karaoke, late night comedy, etc.)...

I don't think we'll try the family in a quad without a balcony, but we would be OK doing the balcony again, even with the kids getting bigger and taking up more space. I'd also definitely do this on a girls trip. Would not do it with say, two couples...not enough privacy for that (at least not for me!)

Archived