Carnival legend just got back carnival went downhill

uncleboo

I normally would not do a review either, but we just returned from the Legend yesterday and I really was unimpressed. I will probably do one later this week. From the bland food, to shutting down pool, mini golf, basketball etc at 10, rude kids staff, etc. There was hardly any kids which was not their fault but they did not come up with alternative plans for the kids that were there. We could not go out at all at night because when we went to drop off our 6 year old for babysitting, they said no other kids where there and he probably shouldn't stay. They just seemed rude.

That sucks. I would like to see your review though. Dont worry. I am not a cultie who wlil belittle you or other such idiocy for a negative review.

I just sailed Liberty a few weeks ago and it was great. So if you ever think of cruising again, give that ship a shot.

just got back form a week on the Legend carnival went downhill

with the entertainment and lack of activities

long review to follow

I'll be looking forward to reading your review. The Dream seemed to have endless games and activities, and the Triumph did a great job too last Nov. Then came my recent Miracle cruise...lack of activities, and those they had were going on all at the same time. Plus one night with the marriage game in the theater instead of an actual show. I'm wondering if this is common on Spirit class ships (which both Miracle and Legend are), to not be as lively or have as much going on as other classes of ships. If that hunch is correct, give Conquest or Dream class a shot. They seem to still have plenty going on.

Yes I would like to see this review you speak of.

I have been on the Legend twice and loved it more and more each time.

People like to nit-pick and base their comparisons of service

with what it used to be like, back when there was Mad Money $loshing Around! :)

No-one wants to confront the reality that we are still "recovering" (sideways, I might add..)

from the worst financial crash since October,1929

and this necessarily affects Corporations with investors

who still expect a dividend check every now and then!

We thought it would go UP and stay UP...forever...didn't we?

Welcome to the reality of the dismal financial situation of 2008-2011

and to a permanent unemployment rate of 8% minimum

i.e. when it's all settled out and back to "Normal" in about 5 yrs. time!

Many of those jobs are never going to come back, despite all the sweet talk

and any diminution of service you see, anywhere,

is a reflection of the reality I speak of, that most people would rather not see. ;)

People like to nit-pick and base their comparisons of service

with what it used to be like, back when there was Mad Money $loshing Around! :)

No-one wants to confront the reality that we are still "recovering" (sideways, I might add..)

from the worst financial crash since October,1929

and this necessarily affects Corporations with investors

who still expect a dividend check every now and then!

We thought it would go UP and stay UP...forever...didn't we?

Welcome to the reality of the dismal financial situation of 2008-2011

and to a permanent unemployment rate of 8% minimum

i.e. when it's all settled out and back to "Normal" in about 5 yrs. time!

Many of those jobs are never going to come back, despite all the sweet talk

and any diminution of service you see, anywhere,

is a reflection of the reality I speak of, that most people would rather not see. ;)

The reality is CCL didn't keep up their prices in order to keep up the quality of their product. This is a decision they made...other cruise lines and businesses in general are all maintaining their products by increasing their prices to keep up with ever increasing costs.

CCL isn't raising their prices.

This has nothing to do with our 'recovery'. It has to do with new management at CCL and how they are running their business because of who they want to market to. CCL has a lot of ships to fill.

If a lot of people are coming back saying the same thing, I hardly consider it nit picking.

Of course Carnival has changed a bit. Yes there are cuts and quality of products/services have been reduced. You see that through most lines today. if anyone has been cruising for the last 10 years or so..

May I ask you to look what you paid in 2000 for a 7 day cruise and what you pay today for the same cruise on CC l today, while you are at it.. look at other products you bought thru the same time period.

You get what you pay for.. for less than 100.00 bucks a day , you can go and have a blast.

Of course they skimmed on the entertainment, the quality of food and other things.

One chooses a venue , pays a rock bottom price and then complains the it went down hill.

When I was a kid gas was like 75 cents a gallon, and they threw in steak knives and glasses.. things change. And CCL changed with it

CCL has marketed to the budget cruiser, with budget prices ( quite successfully too). It’s a great value , make the most of it or go and pay for something a bit better

Again you get what you pay for and there are plenty of choices out there ,

just got back form a week on the Legend carnival went downhill

with the entertainment and lack of activities

long review to follow

looking forward to the review. it certainly reads like carnival is already on the slippery slope. looks like carnival-mart is just around the corner.

Of course Carnival has changed a bit. Yes there are cuts and quality of products/services have been reduced. You see that through most lines today. if anyone has been cruising for the last 10 years or so..

May I ask you to look what you paid in 2000 for a 7 day cruise and what you pay today for the same cruise on CC l today, while you are at it.. look at other products you bought thru the same time period.

You get what you pay for.. for less than 100.00 bucks a day , you can go and have a blast.

Of course they skimmed on the entertainment, the quality of food and other things.

One chooses a venue , pays a rock bottom price and then complains the it went down hill.

When I was a kid gas was like 75 cents a gallon, and they threw in steak knives and glasses.. things change. And CCL changed with it

CCL has marketed to the budget cruiser, with budget prices ( quite successfully too). It’s a great value , make the most of it or go and pay for something a bit better

Again you get what you pay for and there are plenty of choices out there ,

i tend to roll my eyes at posts that try to make us compare todays prices to "thens" prices.

"then", they weren't cramming the masses onto one ship. and then when they saw they could do more with the herds, they got rid of the "wee" ships, which weren't really wee at all.

I still think Carnival is giving good value.

However was disappointed recently with entertainment on Miracle.

Having love and marriage game one night as the only entertainment is pretty poor. Especially when that was the night the piano player was off.

Go into every forum on this website and you're going to find people complaining about decline in service. It isn't exclusive to any one line. A crummy economy is going to make cruise lines make changes to survive.

It may have just been a fluke with this person's experience. There are many servers and room stewards on one ship- when someone happens to get the person who isn't in the mood to work hard that day, week, month, etc. it reflects on the experience. Someone on the very same cruise could have the best people on the ship and therefore have a completely different experience.

Interested in seeing what went wrong :)

Go into every forum on this website and you're going to find people complaining about decline in service. It isn't exclusive to any one line. A crummy economy is going to make cruise lines make changes to survive.

It may have just been a fluke with this person's experience. There are many servers and room stewards on one ship- when someone happens to get the person who isn't in the mood to work hard that day, week, month, etc. it reflects on the experience. Someone on the very same cruise could have the best people on the ship and therefore have a completely different experience.

Interested in seeing what went wrong :)

How many posts like the OP's need to be posted before it's no longer a fluke????

Being new to cruising with 5 Carnival cruises in approx 2 1/2 years, I do not have the luxury of comparing any cruises to the "good old days", but I was on the Legend 2 weeks ago...

We were generally impressed with our experience compared to having only been on the older Fantasy-class ships, however our biggest disappointment was in the steakhouse. Service was quite apathetic and the food was on par with quality in the main dining room.

The ship was clean and in good working order, but the staff didn't seem quite as friendly as we experienced on the Fantasy a couple of years ago. Everyone did their jobs whether it was food service, housekeeping, etc.-- there just wasn't the smile or "hello" in passing that we had come to enjoy on our previous cruises. (Exception: our all-female MDR waitstaff was awesome! Never had a woman headwaitress before...)

We would definitely go Carnival again, but the only decline I have seen in our cruises since 2008 has been in the area of genuine friendliness...

Wow, I must be hitting my Carnival cruises at the right time. I was on Legend in late February - early March and had a great time. Music was good, entertainment was great, ship was clean as a whistle, staff bent over backwards to accommodate passengers. I, too, will be curious to see this review from uncleboo. As for activities, well,they are what you make them.

looking forward to the review. it certainly reads like carnival is already on the slippery slope. looks like carnival-mart is just around the corner.

Oh, goodie! It certainly didn't take long for one of "them" to chime in. :(

I'm leaving on the Legend Sunday. I'm fully expecting to have a great time. Is it possible that the quality of the food and service is not what I encountered on my first Carnival cruise in 2007? Sure. But then again, we were shocked at how good the food and service was then. Celebrity and RCI didn't come close.

I hope that Carnival (while keeping in mind that they are a business and are looking at the bottom line) looks at some things and makes some adjustments where they can. Friendliness is free. :)

And if you feel that Carnival is on the "slippery slope", we won't H82seaUgo to another line/board.

Oh, goodie! It certainly didn't take long for one of "them" to chime in. :(

I'm leaving on the Legend Sunday. I'm fully expecting to have a great time. Is it possible that the quality of the food and service is not what I encountered on my first Carnival cruise in 2007? Sure. But then again, we were shocked at how good the food and service was then. Celebrity and RCI didn't come close.

I hope that Carnival (while keeping in mind that they are a business and are looking at the bottom line) looks at some things and makes some adjustments where they can. Friendliness is free. :)

And if you feel that Carnival is on the "slippery slope", we won't H82seaUgo to another line/board.

one of "them", as a double platinum ccl cruiser, can spend their dollar on any line they choose. and when enough of "them" leave, the ones left are they ones that enjoy vacationing at the bottom of that slope.

btw, none of my $$ go to your income. carnival does not include you as "we".

Ummm....why would he have to do that??????

If you disagree with that poster and think CCL is just the end all-be all, then why does it upset you if someone else doesn't see it that way?

These aren't the kind of CCL 'bashings' that used to occur on occasion...the ones from people who tried CCL one time, had one of two 'not perfect' experiences while on board and then come back and trash the line. There are many long time fans of CCL seeing a decline and are posting their thoughts.

If you don't agree with their opinons that's great, but who are you to send them to another board? :confused:

Uncleboo

Do the review!:p

Mafieta too,

Good for you.:rolleyes:

Methinks that those who speak of "back in the day" have selective memory of the good times but forget the bad. Like your Dad rattling on about his Mom's fresh homemade biscuits every morning but forgetting they put salt in the coffee:eek: A quick scroll of member reviews on any ship, any line will find lots of 1 and 2 winged feet from the get go.

Before going on a cruise don't set your expectations so sky high based on fleeting glimpses of the past or what others think are 5 star quality. (Remember foodies may pan chains like Olive Garden, but for many many people that's a great place with great food for a celebration meal!)

Be flexible and RELAX! It's a Vacay for Godssake:)

one of "them", as a double platinum ccl cruiser, can spend their dollar on any line they choose. and when enough of "them" leave, the ones left are they ones that enjoy vacationing at the bottom of that slope.

btw, none of my $$ go to your income. carnival does not include you as "we".

Shhhhhhhh........ we're talking about the Legend, not your double platinum status. The "we" I was referring to was not Carnival, please pay attention so your insults will be better phrased.

Do you have anything of significance to add to the OP's mention that the LEGEND was a disappointment? Or were you just throwing out the Carnival-Mart comment for fun?

Methinks that those who speak of "back in the day" have selective memory of the good times but forget the bad. :)

That's not true.

if you cruise often, it is especially not true.

Archived