Spirit May 1-8 Review From 1st Timer

To start off, this was the best vacation I’ve ever had, and it was my first cruise! There was so much to do and see. My friend was not looking forward to sea days, worried that she would be bored. On the contrary, we were trying to find time to rest since we wanted to participate in all the free activities. On the other side of the coin, on our way to our next adventure, I would see people who were perfectly content to just sit in a lounge chair doing nothing, and there were plenty of areas for that.

The entire staff was amazing on the ship. We didn’t have many requests but we were never told no, and everyone had a smile when they greeted us. In all honesty, I’m not sure how they maintained it. I work with people everyday, but not all day, and I have trouble maintaining a smile all the time. I was very impressed with everyone. Out of all of the times that I have stayed in a hotel, I have never met the hotel director. On the ship, you can’t get away from John, he’s everywhere, haha!

The food was pretty good, considering they are cooking 3-5 meals (depending on how much each person eats) for 3,000 people every day. The only thing I was disappointed in were the desserts at the buffet. The majority of the selections were gelatinous, and they weren’t the jello choices. I was never disappointed with the food in the MDR, however, my friend was once. The waiter immediately brought her out something different, without fuss. My favorite dish was the corned beef hash at the buffet (also served in the MDR for breakfast). It was my port day go-to food. A big helping of that and I stayed full with plenty of energy!

My favorite activity was karaoke in the pub, even though I don’t sing. It was more like a group sing-a-long (be sure to go after 9:30, that’s when it really picked up)! I attended the embarkation show but was either too tired or involved in something else all week to attend another one. I heard the game shows were a riot! I did go to the game show on the final night and had a blast.

My biggest tips to first timers:

You don’t have to do everything, it’s ok if you miss a show or event, just relax!

Take a bottle with you to fill with ice water before leaving the ship, and everyone was happy to do it. Some excursions may provide you with one bottle of water, and then sell you any additional. Having my own water bottle saved me everyday!

Take a lot (and I mean LOT) of singles with you. It is not a requirement to tip on vacation, but trust me, the service is so outstanding you will want to! Plus it just makes shopping easier in port.

The boards were a great help in planning my vacation, but don’t let anyone tell you that an activity is a waste of time. Although they may not have enjoyed it, that doesn’t mean that you won’t.

On board account…I have a very low limit CC which I was able to use to establish my account. My friend had $3 less available on hers and it was rejected. She used her debit card instead. Obviously I don’t know how that worked out for her, that’s her personal business, but I paid down my account every other day with cash as I went. There was never a line for the purser’s desk so it was very easy.

I am 100% addicted to cruising now. It is the most convenient vacation! I have no idea where I would get food, lodging, entertainment, and a variety of locations for $60-ish per night.

Glad you really enjoyed it. Me too...always. It's about attitude....yours. Some people get on board looking to see what is wrong. All I see is what is right. Isn't the crew/staff wonderful. And that is the case on every NCL ship I've been on. Thanks for the review. Makes me want to get cruising again soon.

Glad you really enjoyed it. Me too...always. It's about attitude....yours. Some people get on board looking to see what is wrong. All I see is what is right. Isn't the crew/staff wonderful. And that is the case on every NCL ship I've been on. Thanks for the review. Makes me want to get cruising again soon.

There were some people who decided that everything that they didn't know was NCL's fault :rolleyes:. I went into the cruise expecting nothing, and ended up having the world handed to me on a silver platter. :) It was hard coming back to the real world after being treated like royalty!

mitsugirly - I think I'm more excited than you! :p

Is asking herself "is this possible?" LOL :D

thanks for the review! we board spirit in about 30 hours!!! ;) woo hoooooo

Have a great time and don't forget to come back and write a review for those of us still awaiting to visit her.

Great review. Although this is not my first cruise but it is my first NCL cruise in July. I love cruising & I always have a great attitude on a ship. The staff goes above & beyond & where I may not agree 100% with everyone on the ship, I realize I'm one of 3000 people and everything won't be perfect for everyone. The staff works their butt off of minimal salaries but act as if they are making 6 digit salaries. I don't know how they do it, I sure couldn't.

How formal were the formal or dress up nights? We will be on the same ship when we go.

Thanks for the great review! I loved seeing your positive attitude, too! My husband and I will be taking our first NCL cruise on the Star to Alaska in a week and are really looking forward to it. First time in Alaska as well. I, too will be bringing my positive attitude on the cruise. ;)

Glad you had a good time!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We have been on the Spirit too and very much enjoyed the ship.

I have to agree with your assessment of the desserts in the buffet. But it's not just the Spirit - it's fleetwide in my opinion. They look very nice but not a lot of taste, and not a desirable texture. With the exception of the cookies, ice cream and usually the brownies. The desserts in the MDR, Blue Lagoon and Cagney's are good.

It was so exciting, first on the Roll Call then in person. Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves and we certainly did as well.

Maybe too much food/room snacks but could there ever be too much pampering? Still miss those Cagney's perks and thanks for posting one of the first reviews from this wonderful cruise...I feel sure it won't be your last!

We have been off for two weeks and my child still wakes up every morning Waky Waky eggs and baky 2 for 1 happy hour. He fell in love with Mr. Waky Waky and he was great with him Let him follow him around and help him out. The staff was awsome never filled out so many cards before even my 4 an 6 year old did.

I have to agree with your assessment of the desserts in the buffet. But it's not just the Spirit - it's fleetwide in my opinion. They look very nice but not a lot of taste, and not a desirable texture. With the exception of the cookies, ice cream and usually the brownies. The desserts in the MDR, Blue Lagoon and Cagney's are good.

I have to say you are wrong about ALL deserts...well, I call this a desert...the crepes were to die for! I didn't discover them on the Epic until the very last day of our cruise at breakfast. I have not stopped talking about them since. I can not wait to try them again. It will now be the first thing I look for in the breakfast line to make sure I get one. hehe :D

Archived