Is Carnival really declining?

Is CCL declining?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Is CCL declining?

• Yes
    • No
    • All the major cruiselines are...

Food portion at dinner in MDR smaller.

I haven't noticed a decrease in portion size. Truthfully, looking at how many Americans are overwt/obese, it probably wouldn't hurt to have smaller portion sizes.:p They can always order seconds if they want more. The amount of food wasted in pathetic.

I haven't noticed a decrease in portion size. Truthfully, looking at how many Americans are overwt/obese, it probably wouldn't hurt to have smaller portion sizes.:p They can always order seconds if they want more. The amount of food wasted in pathetic.

I didn't notice a decrease in portion size either...but then again, I make it a rule to only eat half my main entree and half my desert. By the third day the waiters usually understand that it is not because I didn't like my food and try to offer me something else. And don't worry...my food doesn't get wasted either....normally DS(17) devours what I don't eat. He can afford to eat it at 6'8" 190 lbs. I can't.

Food portion at dinner in MDR smaller. Salads room temp, not cold. Entree tepid. This has been on last 2 cruises.

My GF too was irked about one salad she ordered wasn't chilled...it seemed like it had sat next to a heat lamp or something for a few minutes. Had one or two entrees come out tepid instead of steaming hot like I would have liked. Minor inconvenience that was not repeated when I requested seconds. Seemed to have a lot to do with how busy the kitchen staff was. We prefer your-time dining anyways and usually show up around 9pm for dinner (GF usually works until 8pm during the week, so late dinner is the norm for us) and found the place to be nice and quiet and the service prompt and efficient when you compare it with showing up at 8pm.

they have decreased so much that i now order two entrees. when others at our table see me do this, everyone is doing it by weeks end.

I didn't notice a decrease in portion size either...but then again, I make it a rule to only eat half my main entree and half my desert. By the third day the waiters usually understand that it is not because I didn't like my food and try to offer me something else. And don't worry...my food doesn't get wasted either....normally DS(17) devours what I don't eat. He can afford to eat it at 6'8" 190 lbs. I can't.

I hardly ever order dessert - but I do love the rolls and ceasar salad. I also don't usually eat the whole entree either, so smaller portions don't phase me. I can always stop at the buffet if hungry from the first seating!:)

they have decreased so much that i now order two entrees. when others at our table see me do this, everyone is doing it by weeks end.

Is this on all ships, or just a certain one you recently sailed? I wonder if the person who plates the entrees has a light hand on a certain ship. My portion sizes have always been very generous on all the ships I have been on.

Haven't noticed much of a change in the past few years. The portions have always been smallish. I just order two apps and two entrees.

I hardly ever order dessert - but I do love the rolls and ceasar salad. I also don't usually eat the whole entree either, so smaller portions don't phase me. I can always stop at the buffet if hungry from the first seating!:)

I love the rolls too but that's another of my self imposed rules...only one roll per meal...I need to keep my meal carbs as close to 60 as I can and I don't want to waste carbs on rolls when there are so many other things I want to try. I do sometimes get more than one appetizer based on what they are serving that day. That is the one area I allow myself to splurge:o.

On our last Destiny cruise we had anytime dining. We had the same waiter the first 3 nights (couldn't get in his section the last night without a wait). At every meal he brought either the kids or DH an extra main entree saying it was better than what they ordered and to try it. They always ended up liking it (as well as the meal they ordered) and eating 2 entrees. And they say service is declining:rolleyes:....

when you go from getting more for less, to getting less than what the competition offers, they are handing their business to the competition.

all that will be left are the motel 6 gang.

Yet they cruise full. Wonder how that works?

I can't vote because it's been a while since I've cruised. But I'm sailing in December for the first time in over five years and am very concerned about the changes I've heard about. If I had heard people talking about the decline in service, entertainment and food quality before I booked, I would have gone with another cruise line. I wish I had checked out the boards sooner so I wouldn't be feeling like I'm going to be cruising with K-Mart. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised in December and that things end up being much better than what I'm hearing.

Hoping for the best,

E.

Don't be worried, it's not KMart.We've sailed Carnival for the past 2 decades and still love it even tho some things are different. But guess what? Some of the different things are for the better! The haters and whiners love to cry about the size of their lobster tail (tho you can order a 2nd one) but never point to the positive changes. What does that tell you about them?

Once again this is not objective. IF you asked "Is Carnival cutting back/cutting corners/nickle and diming"??? then those who defend would have to admit : yes they are cutting back in many ways

The problem here on CC is that people don't post logically or debate issues...they just push their own agenda and post their own preference

A great example : when valid proof of cutback on nightly entertainment was proven...ie, the marriage whatever game is now a night's "show"....someone says "well it doesn't bother me since I am in the cabin with my kids and don't go to the shows"

Well...likewise...I could really care less if they cut out basketball or the slide or country music or other stuff I would never use...so I would not say it was a "decline". "Doesn't bother me"

BUT ...objectively...I would have to admit it was a CUTBACK

and yes Carnival has done various cutbacks..

some I don't care about so much but some bother me

Losing a night's entertainment to the stale newlywed/whatever game is a big cutback to me. That used to be an afternoon entertainment, now it replaces a production show. I am also bothered by the cutbacks in bands...I miss the Cover Bands. I miss the larger regaee island bands. Other cutbacks I don't miss...but yes they are still there and I can see them and admit they are there

How about a pool about the things CCL has ADDED? Wait, we better not talk about those things. It wouldn't fit with peoples agendas.

How about a pool about the things CCL has ADDED? Wait, we better not talk about those things. It wouldn't fit with peoples agendas.

go ahead. start one.

and it shouldn't be charge for additions either. :eek:

if you take a closer look, you, or at least we, are paying more.

a $200 sail and sign charge for a weeks cruise 20 years ago somehow now ends up over $1000, where we really haven't changed our on board routine, except we have dropped touring.

Stop drinking and gambling so much.

Where have you been? They do have a dress code and jeans AND shorts are on it.

And therein lies the problem.....jeans and shorts should NOT be suitable attire for dinner in the MDR. Lido deck, pizza bar, fish & chips station, sure, no problem, but NOT the MDR!

Don't be worried, it's not KMart.We've sailed Carnival for the past 2 decades and still love it even tho some things are different. But guess what? Some of the different things are for the better! The haters and whiners love to cry about the size of their lobster tail (tho you can order a 2nd one) but never point to the positive changes. What does that tell you about them?

LOL! What's with this "haters" thing? Is it Carnival you mean or YOU in particular.

Reminds me of an online Disney scam site...

And therein lies the problem.....jeans and shorts should NOT be suitable attire for dinner in the MDR. Lido deck, pizza bar, fish & chips station, sure, no problem, but NOT the MDR!

plus one!

Unfortunately, you are not going to convince the "bargain cruiser"...

I don't have a problem with ordering extras, in some ways I prefer that as I can order two seperate entrees and get a better variety of meal if I want to. Generally I just order an extra appetizer and it works well enough for me.

It's the budget cruiseline. But the best time to be had. Budget cruisers are more fun than cruisers with money.

LOL! Evidently you haven't been invited to the parties!

More fun to "WATCH" maybe...

Put your pom poms down for a minute please and try to compute what your rate would do if those of us who do drink and gamble stopped doing so :rolleyes:

It's exhausting at times, isn't it?

Archived