Is Carnival really declining?

Is CCL declining?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Is CCL declining?

• Yes
    • No
    • All the major cruiselines are...

While it is true that a vacation is what you make of it, I have to agree that change is ever present everywhere, and Carnival is no exception. There have been alot of cut backs and changes, while prices are increasing, but we still enjoy Carnival. If their prices continue to climb and meet the pricing of their competitors, we will try other lines as well (as we are this coming December).

To me there has been more of a cutback in services than a general decline.

1. Combined the Appetizer and Salad course at dinner in the main dinning room.
  2. Duo instead of a Quartet on the Lido deck.
  3. No more past guest pins.
  4. Shorter Lunch hours on sea days.
  5. No more red punch.

There have been new things added too

1. The Future Cruise program that gets you $100 OBC.
  2. Ship wide WIFI.
  3. The Serenity deck.
  4. The Water park with more slides.
  5. The new terminal in Miami

For a while the food actually did decline but it has been getting better again. I also like the fact that some items like the flat iron steak, chicken breast, and chocolate melting cake are available every day in case you don't find anything appealing on the menu.

I still find it to be a great value for a vacation unlike anything else you can do.

I can only go by our 2 cruises.

1) Carnival Liberty 2005

2) Carnival Miracle 2011

We didn't feel much of a decline, except that on Liberty we had juice in the machines available all day long and on Miracle it was only for breakfast. Also TV programming was more limited.

But... buffets hours were longer this time around and entertainment was better (more choices)

I just realized i didn't answer the question lol.

Yes I think Carnival has declined in some areas. I've been cruising since the 90's so there are lots of things I miss. But when I step foot onto the cruise ship all of that flies out of the window and I have a great time. So while Carnival is declining in quite a few areas...its not the end of the world.

And they seem to be stepping up their game as far as the ships are concerned. The Magic is an absolute beauty and I haven't been impressed by a Carnival ship in a LONG time. I think Carnival is about to do some great things :)

I said no. that being said I think customer service all over is declining, not particularly for Carnival. I think its the newer generation and how they view the world.

I don't agree - our vacation this winter exceeded any customer service we have received in the past. Service was impeccable, food was top notch, drinks were top shelf.

Cruiselines may be cutting back in competition with each other but 5* resorts are upping their game.

I haven't sailed with Carnival in a few years, so I didn't vote, but am curious what others have to say. We have 15 days on the Spirit in December and are really looking forward to it - would hate to be disappointed.

I don't think you will be. :)

A steak offered nightly in the dining room that you don't have to be a wildebeest to chew for starters.

Maybe I'm weird this way, but I found all of the meat in the MDR deliciously tender and juicy. I just ordered it med-rare. Yum!:p

And yes- even the flat iron steak on night 1.

We've been sailing Carnival since March 2005, and the only changes we've noticed have been the end of the midnight buffet (which we saw, but didn't eat, we were too full) and the end of the fruit punch at the Lido. I'm sure there are others, but we really haven't noticed, so they're not that important to us. We were told by one of the staff members that they ended the fruit punch because it stains the carpets.

We still have a great time, and the rates we get now are better than the prices we paid in 2008!:D (It may have had to do with us booking sooner now.)

I can understand though, if there are certain things that have been discontinued on Carnival, (that others have really enjoyed) the disappointment.

Surely you are not referring to the hunk of flat iron boiled shoulder meat? :D
Still beats that piece of cowhide that Royal Crapibbean used to dish up, the infamous "ranch steak."

Maybe I'm weird this way, but I found all of the meat in the MDR deliciously tender and juicy. I just ordered it med-rare. Yum!:p

And yes- even the flat iron steak on night 1.

Is the flat iron steak good, if you order it medium rare? I usually order mine medium (as I'm not much of a 'rare' steak fan) but that sounds as if it might be the secret!:)

Archived