Just back

chief8

Transportation is still a problem but there are plenty of cabs and it really is the best way to see the island. Water temp was 65 degrees :eek: and air temp was 78 and beatuiful.

Transportation is still a problem but there are plenty of cabs and it really is the best way to see the island. Water temp was 65 degrees :eek: and air temp was 78 and beatuiful.

What were the problems you encountered?

Probably important to note that the OP was on Enchantment, May 14, so they were at Kings Wharf Monday and Tuesday, May 16 and 17.

Couple of questions,

Was Enchantment the only ship in port while you were there?

It looks like the Orange ferry schedule shows a ferry to St. Georges leaving Dockyard at 10AM, and the next one at 11:45. Obviously it would be impossible to catch the 10AM ferry if the ship does not arrive until 10.

Do you know if passengers from the ship were able to catch the 11:45 ferry? Most important question: was anyone turned away due to the ferry filling up?

That's my tentative plan.

It is very unfortunate that they can't adjust the ship arrival or the ferry schedule to allow the passengers to catch that first ferry (currently at 10AM). As it is now, I would suppose that first ferry is virtually empty. But all those empty seats probably get a real good look at Enchantment docking... :rolleyes:

Theron

Probably important to note that the OP was on Enchantment, May 14, so they were at Kings Wharf Monday and Tuesday, May 16 and 17.

Couple of questions,

Was Enchantment the only ship in port while you were there?

It looks like the Orange ferry schedule shows a ferry to St. Georges leaving Dockyard at 10AM, and the next one at 11:45. Obviously it would be impossible to catch the 10AM ferry if the ship does not arrive until 10.

Do you know if passengers from the ship were able to catch the 11:45 ferry? Most important question: was anyone turned away due to the ferry filling up?

That's my tentative plan.

It is very unfortunate that they can't adjust the ship arrival or the ferry schedule to allow the passengers to catch that first ferry (currently at 10AM). As it is now, I would suppose that first ferry is virtually empty. But all those empty seats probably get a real good look at Enchantment docking... :rolleyes:

Theron

The problem is the Enchantment is the only regular weekday caller at Dockyard that arrives after 9am. The Celebrity Summit, Explorer of the Seas, Norwegian Gem and Caribbean Princess all arrive between 8 and 9 am, so the 10am ferry schedule makes sense for the vast majority of passenger arrivals. Royal Caribbean should consider adjusting its schedule, if possible. (Note: I made no mention of the Norwegian Dawn, because it arrives on Sunday, when there is no scheduled service on the Orange route.)

There would have been no other ship there the day the OP's cruise arrived, but starting next week, when the Norwegian Dawn is out of drydock and sailing to Bermuda every week, the Dawn will be in Dockyard, having docked the previous day, every time the Enchantment arrives.

:confused: I was on the Enchantment of the Seas from May 14-19th. I traveled by ferry on Monday to Hamilton and returned by ferry and just spent our half day on Tuesday at the Dockyard. I had no problems with lines to get on the ferry and friends of mine took the bus on Monday to Hamilton and Horseshoe Beach and had no problems with the bus. We were the only ship docked during there during our 2 day stay.

The problem is the Enchantment is the only regular weekday caller at Dockyard that arrives after 9am.

It would seem that it is up to Royal Caribbean then, to adjust their schedule to accommodate the services available to their passengers. Of course, it is not in their financial interests to do so, which is always a problem.

Enchantment leaves Baltimore at 4PM on Saturday, and arrives at 10AM on Monday. I can't recall if we adjust clocks for the time zone switch or not.

In either case, assuming we do adjust clocks (which is the "worst case" scenario):

If Enchantment would arrive 90 minutes earlier, at 8:30, that would seem to give ample time for those passengers who wish, to disembark and catch that 10AM ferry to St. Georges.

From 4PM Saturday until 10AM Monday (Atlantic time = 9AM Eastern time) is 8 + 24 + 9 hours, or 41 total hours of transit. If you were to arrive at 8:30AM (7:30 Eastern) that would be 39.5 total hours.

In order to cover the same distance in that reduced amount of time, the ship would need to travel roughly 1.04% faster as an average for the whole trip. I'm sure that costs more in fuel... but when you're schedule does not mesh with the local resources, sometimes you just have to suck it up. The cruise lines always seem to get a premium fare for the Bermuda sailings, I'm sure they can afford a 1.04% increase in speed.

Itineraries are set many months in advance, and I have always suspected that the high fuel costs from a couple years ago are still being "paid for" in the less convenient (slower) itineraries in use today. Even though fuel costs had mitigated somewhat, I doubt that the cruise lines will revert back to their more convenient and more costly itineraries, unless they get a LOT of complaints.

Theron

I really hope the water temperture will be a little bit warmer in three weeks. 65 degrees is way to cold for me.

If you Google [bermuda water temperature], you'll get several sites which report historical sea surface temperatures. It usually warms up quite a bit between May and June, but of course the temperature for your date this year will be what it will be... no guarantee....

Theron

dwardlaw, where are you in Milton? We are just off Robbins Street, ran across you looking at info for Port Liberty.

We're Celebrity Cruisers, 10 since "04. Looking at the Silhouette out of Port Liberty.

We're a 50ish couple, kids gone, love cruising.

Take Care,

Louis and Margo

aka Luigi and The Lovely Margo!!!!!!!!!

Just got back today. The orange ferry does run at 10 but they had another ferry come right behind it. Ferry line to St. George was crazy! So when the ships are in port they must increase number of ferries to accommodate the masses.

The bussing system is another story... Got stranded in Clearwater beach for 2 hours.. I'll post on that in a bit.

Ferry line to St. George was crazy! So when the ships are in port they must increase number of ferries to accommodate the masses.

We're on the Summit, scheduled to dock on Wednesday at 8:30 (following the Norwegian Gem, docking at 8). And we're booked for a ship's excursion tour of St. Georges that apparently hands us ferry passes and tells us to meet them in St. Georges at 11. Is this feasible? I gather the normal ferry does the run in about 35 minutes, but the larger ferry takes longer.

j

We're on the Summit, scheduled to dock on Wednesday at 8:30 (following the Norwegian Gem, docking at 8). And we're booked for a ship's excursion tour of St. Georges that apparently hands us ferry passes and tells us to meet them in St. Georges at 11. Is this feasible? I gather the normal ferry does the run in about 35 minutes, but the larger ferry takes longer.

j

Wow! I'm surprised that X isn't handling your transportation over to St George. From the comments here on cc, I also wonder if you will make it on time. We are on the 7/17 Summit to Bermuda with a group of 33 (our DD is being married onboard by the Captain!). We have several first time cruisers and several who have never been to Bermuda. Many are considering X's shore excursions because of the convenience. But your excursion doesn't seem very convenient!

Do recent cruisers think J will be on time?

Please post when you return; I know we'll have lots of questions for you!

I personally would not schedule a ship excursion to St Georges on arrival day if you are concerned re ferry, ship docking a bit late etc. That being said I have not looked at the excursions and it may only be offered on Wednesday (which would seem odd IMHO).

If you plan St Georges for second day, which we are doing but "on our own", you will be assured you will be safely docked up, you can get off ship and in ferry line 1/2 hour or so ahead of time, enjoy your coffee while you wait and be pretty dang sure of getting the first ferry? Just my opinion...

I personally would not schedule a ship excursion to St Georges on arrival day if you are concerned re ferry, ship docking a bit late etc. That being said I have not looked at the excursions and it may only be offered on Wednesday (which would seem odd IMHO).

If you plan St Georges for second day, which we are doing but "on our own", you will be assured you will be safely docked up, you can get off ship and in ferry line 1/2 hour or so ahead of time, enjoy your coffee while you wait and be pretty dang sure of getting the first ferry? Just my opinion...

Generally, yes, but a huge consideration would be what other ship may be in port with you. If another large ship arrives in the morning of that second day, you have the same problem all over again, just with the other passengers, and not your own.

Here is a link to the official Bermuda ship schedule for 2011. Not sure if it is ever updated.

Theron

Hi Everyone.

We just got back from Bermuda on the NCL Gem. Had a nice trip, and sadly, our biggest issue was transportation as we'd expected, but I was really hopeful they'd sort things out.

If you don't care to read the long story (and I'm sure it could be told better, but I'm typing as fast as possibly while DS naps, just to get it on here) the short of it is that there is a serious lack of communication with regard to ticket/ token sales and the departure area. So much so that I'm sitting here in Virginia with four $4 one-way tokens and one $12 day pass as souvenirs.

...for those of you who want to know why I don't care for the current state of Bermuda transportation...

So- on day one we bought three one-day passes for myself, DH, and my mom. We also have my 11-month old DS in a stroller. Mom ended up not feeling up to walking, so she did not use her pass and stayed back on the ship while DH, DS, and I went to Hamilton. As you can see online, those ferries run every 30 minutes or so, and we had very little issue. Even if you miss a ferry/ it's full it's only a 20-30 minute wait.

The next day we decided, since we had that extra day pass to see St. George's. The ferry leaves at 10 and 11:45 am. DS naps from 9-10-ish, so we planned to catch the 11:45. Got off the ship at about 11:15. There are 2 sales locations (at least that we saw). One is directly in the terminal as you leave, and there is another at a midway point between the ship and the ferry station- this one is in a small portable building- think of the portables many schools use. Being flighty- I forgot to get tokens at the terminal so we stopped at the portable building. I'd say it was 11:20-ish and bought the one-way tokens telling the man I need to get 2 adults to/ from St. George's. He told myself (and I overheard him tell the couple in front of me) that the ferry was coming at 11:45.

We got to the ferry area at about 11:25 maybe 11:30. There was a "line" aka hoard of people bunches up with no apparent end. The ferry was pulling in and people, to be totally honest, had all sadly left any manners at home and were going a bit mad. I stood in a small line of people waiting to speak with the ferry worker, but before I could ask him my question (normal line or no- this was because on the previous day the same gentleman had asked us to step out of the "normal" line, since it is easier to get the stroller on when the ferry is full-er since it lines up better with the dock) people started coming off the ferry and those waiting to board were in a frenzy.

The ferry worker understandably left the "we have questions" line and started to deal with the people boarding the ferry. In the end a man felt that someone in a wheelchair had been cutting because he'd been allowed on the ferry before him, etc. etc. and a screaming fit ensued. The ferry worker explained that the ferry was full and had been for some time, and that he and the rest of us would have to take a bus.

When the two men finally ended their argument I told the ferry worker my situation he told me AND I QUOTE "come back here for the 2:45 ferry" or take a bus. (oh, or a taxi for $50 round trip- which is false, we asked a cab driver and the fare is "about" $58 one way for the 4 of us)

...well I knew a bus wouldn't work b/c I'd been on CC and knew our stroller just wouldn't be accommodated. I also already had those one-way tokens, so I'd have to buy 2 more- another $8. So, without hesitation we went back to the ship prepared to arrive early for the 2:45 ferry. We arrived at 2:00 sharp. Got in the line and when the ferry arrived at 2:55 (odd, it was late) we saw a sign saying TO HAMILTON. After asking, they said nope, no ferries to St. George until 5:30.

In the end, my issues are:

1. The ferry was over-sold. The ferry line was already at capacity when my family and even the family in line before me bought our tickets. Anyone hear of walkie-talkies? Seems like that would be an easy solution.

2. The people who work there need to actually listen and pay attention to questions and for the love of God give correct answers. There is a 2:45 ferry FROM HAMILTON! I will take responsibility for not looking at the schedule, but I (stupidly) just trusted the ferry worker.

3. Having a NO RETURN/ EXCHANGE policy on tokens/ passes when you don't have the system in place as mentioned in #1. I wasn't willing to waste more of my vacation standing around trying to sell the tokens and pass.

In the end it didn't ruin our trip, it was just very frustrating to waste so much time walking to and from that line and standing in it and on top of it wasting my money- time we'd probably have been happier just spending on the ship. Oh well. For me though, no next time. So long, Bermuda.

Hi Everyone.

We just got back from Bermuda on the NCL Gem. Had a nice trip, and sadly, our biggest issue was transportation as we'd expected, but I was really hopeful they'd sort things out.

...for those of you who want to know why I don't care for the current state of Bermuda transportation...

In the end, my issues are:

1. The ferry was over-sold. The ferry line was already at capacity when my family and even the family in line before me bought our tickets. Anyone hear of walkie-talkies? Seems like that would be an easy solution. GOOD POINT!

2. The people who work there need to actually listen and pay attention to questions and for the love of God give correct answers. There is a 2:45 ferry FROM HAMILTON! I will take responsibility for not looking at the schedule, but I (stupidly) just trusted the ferry worker. I'm so lucky my DH has a mathematical and analytical mind, because he is in charge of figuring out the sometimes-confusing bus and ferry schedules. They are a bit of a challenge but once grasped Bermuda's transportation system is a cost-effective way to get all over the island.

3. Having a NO RETURN/ EXCHANGE policy on tokens/ passes when you don't have the system in place as mentioned in #1. I wasn't willing to waste more of my vacation standing around trying to sell the tokens and pass. That should be fixed considering the difficulties they currently seem to be having. I think the cost of refunding would be less than the cost of ill will for Bermuda tourism!

In the end it didn't ruin our trip, it was just very frustrating to waste so much time walking to and from that line and standing in it and on top of it wasting my money- time we'd probably have been happier just spending on the ship. Oh well. For me though, no next time. So long, Bermuda.

It breaks my heart that you had such a bad experience that you've crossed the island off your list. Bermuda really is a worthwhile destination with so much to offer a family. Maybe you'd consider trying again when DS is of walking age, because the Aquarium/Zoo is absolutely beautiful, and Jobson's Cove is a protected little area of gentle waves perfect for young ones. Shelley Bay park has a nice little playground on the North Shore, too. I hope you give it another chance, or you will never know what you're missing! ;)

Just got back today. The orange ferry does run at 10 but they had another ferry come right behind it. Ferry line to St. George was crazy! So when the ships are in port they must increase number of ferries to accommodate the masses.

The bussing system is another story... Got stranded in Clearwater beach for 2 hours.. I'll post on that in a bit.

Can you provide a few more details?

What day was this when the extra ferry came right behind the 10AM Orange ferry?

Did that happen on more than one day?

Did you know this would happen in advance?

Was the second ferry also a fast ferry, or one of the slower ones that take about 30 minutes longer to get to St. Georges?

Thanks,

Theron

Celebrity runs the St. Georges excursion only on the first day - which I agree is odd. Our preference would have been to go to Horseshoe Bay on the first day and St. Georges on day 2. And given our health situation, the ship excursions seemed the best option. So I guess we'll talk to the people at the excursion desk and ask how we can be assured of being in St. Georges for their 11 AM start time - and if they'll refund the money if we can't get on the ferry. By our 6/5 sailing they should know about the problems.

j

The next day we decided, since we had that extra day pass to see St. George's. The ferry leaves at 10 and 11:45 am. DS naps from 9-10-ish, so we planned to catch the 11:45. Got off the ship at about 11:15.

Howdy neighbor,

Did you happen to see a second ferry taking the overflow from the 10AM crowd? This was reported by lritch426 a few posts back on this thread.

Theron

Archived