Live! from the Maasdam -almost..

Raja2005

:D Arrived in Montreal at 8 am this morning..after a red eye to Toronto. We were planning on taking a taxi to the port (and then the bus onto Quebec City due to the water levels). We did not book transfers through Holland America but we were met by a rep at the airport who told us we do not have to go to the port at all...we get to take the bus right from the airport to Quebec city...and no transfer fee! Thank you Holland America..very organized, apologetic for the change in plans etc. I am happy I don't have to pay a cab fare! So, right now, just having a cuppa tea in the airport...waiting to board the first bus at 10 am.

So any of you out there who would normally be taking a cab to the pier - don't! Look for the friendly Holland America rep to guide you!

Here we come Maasdam!:D

Great to hear how they are making the transfer from airport to ship as smooth as possible.

Sit back and relax on the bus and have a great cruise.

Soon you'll be aboard the beautiful Maasdam.

Fair Winds and a Following Sea.......

I'm a bit confused by the logistics of the OP's post if someone can help me. Is the cruise leaving from Montreal or Quebec City?

We will be sailing out of Quebec City next year and trying to figure out the best airports to fly into and then transfer to Quebec City. Flights from San Francisco to Quebec City are VERY long so I wanted to explore other options. Any help would be appreciated!

Maasdam's itinerary is always Boston to Montreal and Montreal to Boston.

The last several weeks, due to heavy rains and snow, the St. Lawrence river is about 9 1/2 feet higher than normal. There are bridges between Quebec City and High Power lines running across the river, shore to shore.

Because the water level is so high these last weeks, it makes Maasdam too tall to fit beneath the power lines and she has had to end her voyage in Quebec City for two cruises.

As soon as the water goes back to normal level, Maasdam will return to Montreal, as usual.

HAL has hired buses to bring guests from Quebec City to Montreal for guests to get to their flights/hotels/on ward travel plans. Those buses bring arriving guests back to Maasdam at Quebec City where she is doing an overnight (those lucky cruisers getting to stay longer in beautiful Quebec City.... a real treat IMO). Montreal is also fabulous so it is a loss to not get to experience that wonderful city.

The bus ride is about three hours and reports for the most part have been that HAL has been handling it very well.

They are picking up arriving guests at the airport and transporting them directly to the ship vs requiring them to make their way to Montreal Old Port, where they normally would have boarded. They are also picking up guests at the Old Port for those who did not arrive by plane or did not know about this temporary change.

Maasdam's itinerary is always Boston to Montreal and Montreal to Boston.

The last several weeks, due to heavy rains and snow, the St. Lawrence river is about 9 1/2 feet higher than normal. There are bridges between Quebec City and High Power lines running across the river, shore to shore.

Because the water level is so high these last weeks, it makes Maasdam too tall to fit beneath the power lines and she has had to end her voyage in Quebec City for two cruises.

As soon as the water goes back to normal level, Maasdam will return to Montreal, as usual.

HAL has hired buses to bring guests from Quebec City to Montreal for guests to get to their flights/hotels/on ward travel plans. Those buses bring arriving guests back to Maasdam at Quebec City where she is doing an overnight (those lucky cruisers getting to stay longer in beautiful Quebec City.... a real treat IMO). Montreal is also fabulous so it is a loss to not get to experience that wonderful city.

The bus ride is about three hours and reports for the most part have been that HAL has been handling it very well.

They are picking up arriving guests at the airport and transporting them directly to the ship vs requiring them to make their way to Montreal Old Port, where they normally would have boarded. They are also picking up guests at the Old Port for those who did not arrive by plan or did not know about this temporary change.

Can you imagine arriving at the pier not knowing about the change? I'm sure there are some fightened pax (Where's my ship????) until the HAL people can explain the change.

Glad to hear HAL is managing it well.

Thank you for explaining! Wow, the weather has hit so many regions hard this season.

We've been to Quebec City just once and will be lucky to overnight there on this trip. Can't wait...

Thank you for explaining! Wow, the weather has hit so many regions hard this season.

We've been to Quebec City just once and will be lucky to overnight there on this trip. Can't wait...

ellbelle,

You refer to your trip next year so I want to be sure you understand.

The river being this high and Maasdam not being able to sail the St. Lawrence between Quebec City and Montreal is temporary. There is no reason to expect it will last a year and that you should plan to overnight, on Maasdam, in Quebec City a year from now. You should expect to sail to Montreal.

Or have I misunderstood you? :o

ellbelle,

You refer to your trip next year so I want to be sure you understand.

The river being this high and Maasdam not being able to sail the St. Lawrence between Quebec City and Montreal is temporary. There is no reason to expect it will last a year and that you should plan to overnight, on Maasdam, in Quebec City a year from now. You should expect to sail to Montreal.

Or have I misunderstood you? :o

Sorry...I should have explained....We will be on the Emerald Princess which overnights in Quebec City. The Eurodam also has one a couple weeks before but Princess won out this time due to the Charleston and New York stops.

I timed out editing my reply but I when I read the original post I thought that Toronto might be an alternate airport for Quebec City but it must be for Montreal. I need to head over to the Canada departure boards to get some ideas for alternate airports for Quebec City. My geography is not that great as you can tell!

Thanks!

We are doing this same itinerary on June 4th (but arriving June 3 to Montreal) - generally we pack so we can carry on and carry off - are they allowing you to take your bags with you on the bus or do you have to "check" them with HAL to be delivered to your cabin? thanks for the info as this will help me in packing should we also need to be bussed in a few weeks.......

marthatravels:

When we were bused from Montreal on May 7th, we took the bus from the pier and our bags went with us. We too normally carry on our bags. When we got to Quebec City, we elected to have the bags put on the ship and so at that point, our bags were tagged. We could have carried them on if we had wanted to. I see you are going in the day before. If you are at a HAL hotel, they probably will bus you from there if the river is still high. Hope this is not too convoluted.

ElBelle

FYI there are direct daily flights from Toronto to Quebec city- 1 hr flight

Montreal to Quebec city - 40 min

these above are with Air Canada (Jazz) or Westjet

also direct daily flights from Chicago - United

Detroit - Delta

and approx 4 flights per day Newark - Continental.

there are a few more but these are the most frequent

Thanks - that was really helpful - I pack differently if we are going to have bags delivered to cabin....we are staying at Embassy Suites but not through the cruise line so we just planned on taking a cab to the pier (I don't think it is far) - secretly hoping for extra time in Quebec since we will have all day on Friday in Montreal....thanks again

Archived