Chefmakers Academy

I am still looking into doing the chefmakers academy. I love the cooking shows so I figured one of the classes would be fun to do.

I am trying to decide between two classes and wondered if anyone had experience with either. As there are things I am not sure I will eat on both menus. LOL

Cooking around the World makes: Caramelized Onion Pissaladiére, Shrimp Scampi on Grilled Romaine, Mini Beef Wellingtons on Leek Fondue and Key Lime Pie with Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream

Small Bites makes: Avocado & Salsa Bruschetta, Bacon Wrapped Plantains, Lemon Lamb Chops, Crab Cakes with a Chili Remoulade Sauce and Mini Puff Pastry Turnovers

Ok...here is my dilemma. For the first one: I do not like onions...so what is Caramelized onion pissaladiere....I think its a sort of pizza thing. I dont necessarily mind a little bit of onion flavor, but can't stand crunchy onions or even cooked ones, could they be left off or minimized?? Beef wellington, isnt that cooked rare? I do not like my meat bloody only well done usually but the idea of beef wellington sounds intriguing.

The second class I have no idea what plantains taste like and have never had lamb chops, or crab cakes LOL. , I am kind of scared to try new stuffbut think this might be fun to do and to sample new things.

I did try a lamb slider at Koussina by Kat Cora in Disney and it was ok...a bit spicey but ok.

I am thinking the small bites might be better for me even though I have not had a couple of the items and am worried about eating them. the cooking around the world has the onions and I think rare meat?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Plantains are small, sweet bananas. Lamb itself isn't spicy. I would enjoy the second class, but I'm sure either one would be fun.

From Wikipedia:

Pissaladiere or Pissaladina (pissaladiera Occitan pronunciation: [pisalaˈdjerɔ] in Provençal, "piscialandrea" in Ligurian) is a pizza-like dish made in southern France, around the Nice, Marseilles, Toulon and the Var District, and in the Italian region of Liguria, especially in the Imperia district. Believed to have been introduced to the area by Roman cooks during the time of the Avignon Papacy, it can be considered a type of white pizza, as no tomatoes are used. The dough is usually a bread dough thicker than that of the classic Italian pizza (although a pâte brisée is sometimes used instead), and the traditional topping consist of sauteed (almost pureed) onions, olives, garlic and anchovies (either whole or in the form of pissalat, a type of anchovy paste). No cheese is used in France; however in the nearby Italian town of San Remo, mozzarella is added. Now served as an appetizer, it was traditionally cooked and sold early each morning.

Yes, the beef in a Wellington (of any size) would normally be rare to medium-rare. And a pissaladiere without onions is basically some dough, so the second option may be better for you :)

I wouldn't expect Lemon Lamb Chops to be spicy. They would be, well, lemony, with some thyme or rosemary, I expect. I like my lamb pink too, but you'd probably have more control with the chops than the Wellington.

Yes, the beef in a Wellington (of any size) would normally be rare to medium-rare. And a pissaladiere without onions is basically some dough, so the second option may be better for you :)

I wouldn't expect Lemon Lamb Chops to be spicy. They would be, well, lemony, with some thyme or rosemary, I expect. I like my lamb pink too, but you'd probably have more control with the chops than the Wellington.

Thats what I thought. Thank you both for your replys.

I recently took the Small Bites class and was pleased. Plantains do resemble bananas but I've also heard the taste referred to as similar to sweet potato. I've repeated that recipe at home.

Cotswold Eagle is exactly correct. The lamb marinate was lemon, fresh oregano, and garlic. No rosemary...not sure why. They were quite good but I prefer rosemary. They were cooked medium rare but I can't imagine that they wouldn't let you continue to cook a few to medium or medium well if that is your preference.

The crab cakes did contain red onion and scallions and were served with a spicy remoulade that also contained red onion and chives. I don't recall the onion as being dominant but it does appear in the recipe.

It was fun so if you decide to participate I hope you enjoy!

I recently took the Small Bites class and was pleased. Plantains do resemble bananas but I've also heard the taste referred to as similar to sweet potato. I've repeated that recipe at home.

Cotswold Eagle is exactly correct. The lamb marinate was lemon, fresh oregano, and garlic. No rosemary...not sure why. They were quite good but I prefer rosemary. They were cooked medium rare but I can't imagine that they wouldn't let you continue to cook a few to medium or medium well if that is your preference.

The crab cakes did contain red onion and scallions and were served with a spicy remoulade that also contained red onion and chives. I don't recall the onion as being dominant but it does appear in the recipe.

It was fun so if you decide to participate I hope you enjoy!

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I am going to do the small bites class and see about cooking the lamb a bit longer. If not I will just go for it and try to see how it is. Thanks for the crab cake onions, I may just leave most of them out since I do not like them, pretty sure that will not be a big deal at all. Thanks for your insight, I am excited.

Yes its a cooking class. Search for chef makers academy on royals website. I don't know if it's offered on the Oasis. I do know they are on the Freedom. You can prebook and also book once onboard I have heard. I also heard that if there are not people signed up They may cancel, but not if prebooked, this is my first cruise so I am not absolutely sure.

In you reservation look at making specialty dining reservations and the classes are listed there, there are a bunch of them.

Plantains can be found in most grocery stores - they look like big green bananas. They are starchier than bananas and not as sweet.

What an excellent way for you to try some new flavors. Have fun with the class. We will be taking at least one on Freedom in November.

Yes its a cooking class. Search for chef makers academy on royals website. I don't know if it's offered on the Oasis. I do know they are on the Freedom. You can prebook and also book once onboard I have heard. I also heard that if there are not people signed up They may cancel, but not if prebooked, this is my first cruise so I am not absolutely sure.

In you reservation look at making specialty dining reservations and the classes are listed there, there are a bunch of them.

Thanks for the info on where to find this. I am going to seriously look into these classes on my next RCI cruise; hope it is available on my ship....

I took the small bites class and enjoyed it. Some of the other classes are for 'dinner'. Since DH was not going to spend the extra money to cook his own dinner - I did the appetizer class on during a free afternoon and had late seating dinner with DH that evening.

• 4 weeks later...
So we hit the Oasis in three weeks but we plan on hitting the Freedom next summer and definitely taking the chef masters cooking classes. Anyone have costs $$$$$$??????.

I am not sure if it's offered on Oasis. But on my upcoming Freedom cruise they are offering the "Small Bites" cooking class for $90 pp and the "Cooking Around the World" for $100 pp. Both are approximately 2 1/2 hrs long. A bit pricey, but if you really love to cook, I guess it's worth it. They offer a bunch of other cooking classes too, at different prices. We sail in Nov 27th and these just showed up for me to book under my online reservation.

I didn't realize Royal was doing cooking classes. Just for comparison, I did a cooking class on HAL in March with a menu of Sun Dried Tomato Bruschetta with Warm Goat Cheese, Scampi with Couscous, Salad of White Beans, Tuna, Artichoke Hearts, and Sweet Bell Pepper. They needed at least six to sign up but we held our class with only three. It was a blast working with the chef. We got an apron to take home and ate what we made for lunch with wine provided. The class was an hour long and was priced at $29.

• 3 weeks later...

DeepWaterMariner... i would love to hear a bit more details about the HAL classes. I am an ex chefmakers employee and think its crazy how the prices differ so much. (i do think chefmakers is expensive). How many people to a class, is it completely 100% hands on, etc?

As for the classes.... the pissaladiere.. is s puff pastry pizza, you put other things on it not just onions. But remember you are making it so you put on it what you want. The Beef wellingtons are probably cooked medium rare but you can ask for yours to go in there for longer. Also the beef wellington is an american take on the dish not the real thing.

Small bites is the most popular class (the appetizer class). The lamb really tastes better eaten medium rare but there will be some cooked more than others and you can get yours left on the grill a bit longer. Also there is onion in the crab cakes, but i HATE onion (and its in almost every bloody recipe chefmakers has!!) luckily, you cant taste it in the crabcakes. i had never had a plantain before i worked here and they are delish!!! wrapped in bacon and crunchy but soft! yum!

if anyone has any other questions ... let me know! :)

I didn't realize Royal was doing cooking classes. Just for comparison, I did a cooking class on HAL in March with a menu of Sun Dried Tomato Bruschetta with Warm Goat Cheese, Scampi with Couscous, Salad of White Beans, Tuna, Artichoke Hearts, and Sweet Bell Pepper. They needed at least six to sign up but we held our class with only three. It was a blast working with the chef. We got an apron to take home and ate what we made for lunch with wine provided. The class was an hour long and was priced at $29.

DeepWaterMariner... i would love to hear a bit more details about the HAL classes. I am an ex chefmakers employee and think its crazy how the prices differ so much. (i do think chefmakers is expensive). How many people to a class, is it completely 100% hands on, etc?

As for the classes.... the pissaladiere.. is s puff pastry pizza, you put other things on it not just onions. But remember you are making it so you put on it what you want. The Beef wellingtons are probably cooked medium rare but you can ask for yours to go in there for longer. Also the beef wellington is an american take on the dish not the real thing.

Small bites is the most popular class (the appetizer class). The lamb really tastes better eaten medium rare but there will be some cooked more than others and you can get yours left on the grill a bit longer. Also there is onion in the crab cakes, but i HATE onion (and its in almost every bloody recipe chefmakers has!!) luckily, you cant taste it in the crabcakes. i had never had a plantain before i worked here and they are delish!!! wrapped in bacon and crunchy but soft! yum!

if anyone has any other questions ... let me know! :)

It sounds like Holland American does theirs "in-house" while Royal Caribbean uses an outside vendor. This would account for some of the cost differential.

:)

I just took 2 of the Chefmakers classes on Freedom last week.....I had taken one on Liberty in the past. All 3 classes were great....very much enjoyed them. Right now the ONLY ship they are offered on is Freedom. I suggest a daytime class as these are held in Chops....the evening are held in the front of Windjammer....much nicer to be in Chops kitchen. Also I found that they actually have a better deal if you book on-board than on-line. With the small bites class you get a kitchen sized towel to take home....on the longer classes you get a very nice apron as a gift. Definitely recommend the classes...lots of fun and good food to eat....mimosas also.

This thread is sooooo timely! DH and I are on the Freedom on the 8/28 cruise and we both cook at home...well, okay, if I really have to admit it, he probably cooks more than I do.:o We'll be celebrating his birthday on this cruise, so I asked him what new and different thing he might want to do...he thought the cooking class would be fun. So then we began to deliberate over which one!

We had it narrowed down to two - Cooking Around the World and Small Bites. So after reading this, we've done the deed and signed up for the Small Bites class. Thanks for all the comments from those who have experienced the classes!

BUT now I see the deal is better when you book onboard - what's the difference?

Judy

I just took 2 of the Chefmakers classes on Freedom last week.....I had taken one on Liberty in the past. All 3 classes were great....very much enjoyed them. Right now the ONLY ship they are offered on is Freedom. I suggest a daytime class as these are held in Chops....the evening are held in the front of Windjammer....much nicer to be in Chops kitchen. Also I found that they actually have a better deal if you book on-board than on-line. With the small bites class you get a kitchen sized towel to take home....on the longer classes you get a very nice apron as a gift. Definitely recommend the classes...lots of fun and good food to eat....mimosas also.

My wife (Silke), daughter and I will be on the Freedom in November. Neither Silke or I are "into" cooking, but I wanted to try one Chefmaker course that might result in something that she (and Olivia, our daughter) might appreciate. As such, I signed up for the "Chocolate Covered Strawberry" class. Yeah, yeah I know ... melted chocolate and strawberries, not exactly rocket science so to speak. But still, it'll be fun ... and it's inexpensive (relatively speaking, by cruise ship standards) ... and mimosa's are included ... and I'm hoping that my "final product" won't be too screwed up (meaning I hope that Silke and Olivia will enjoy the presentation). Should be a fun 90 minutes.

Michael

This thread is sooooo timely! DH and I are on the Freedom on the 8/28 cruise and we both cook at home...well, okay, if I really have to admit it, he probably cooks more than I do.:o We'll be celebrating his birthday on this cruise, so I asked him what new and different thing he might want to do...he thought the cooking class would be fun. So then we began to deliberate over which one!

We had it narrowed down to two - Cooking Around the World and Small Bites. So after reading this, we've done the deed and signed up for the Small Bites class. Thanks for all the comments from those who have experienced the classes!

BUT now I see the deal is better when you book onboard - what's the difference?

Judy

If you booked 2 small bites class's on-board they were giving you a free bottle of Champagne.

My wife (Silke), daughter and I will be on the Freedom in November. Neither Silke or I are "into" cooking, but I wanted to try one Chefmaker course that might result in something that she (and Olivia, our daughter) might appreciate. As such, I signed up for the "Chocolate Covered Strawberry" class. Yeah, yeah I know ... melted chocolate and strawberries, not exactly rocket science so to speak. But still, it'll be fun ... and it's inexpensive (relatively speaking, by cruise ship standards) ... and mimosa's are included ... and I'm hoping that my "final product" won't be too screwed up (meaning I hope that Silke and Olivia will enjoy the presentation). Should be a fun 90 minutes.

Michael

You will have a BLAST....the chocolate class was going on both times we were doing our Class in Chops. The people that did it had nothing but good things to say....and we even got to sample their finished creations since we were eating our creations right next to them.

Archived