Another Loss at NCL

And I hate the fact the Spirit is leaving. We don't care about the Epic, and we don't care about the new ships. We love the Spirit, the Jewel, the Pearl least of all. Majesty was great for her last cruise. Did not care for the Sky sailing. The Jewel class ships are great. As is the Spirit. Bigger is not better in my opinion. I love a Promenade deck. Otherwise, I'd go to Vegas.

We don't care about the Epic, and we don't care about the new ships. We love the Spirit, the Jewel, the Pearl least of all. Majesty was great for her last cruise. Did not care for the Sky sailing. The Jewel class ships are great. As is the Spirit. Bigger is not better in my opinion. I love a Promenade deck. Otherwise, I'd go to Vegas.

I agree 100 percent. A ship without an outdoor promenade deck is not worth booking. It is a place for those of us who don't want to fight the 'chair hogs' on the upper decks. Many of us cherish sitting in the shade close to the sea. It is a feature that is unfortunately missing on the Epic.

FYI - You can also blame the small sinks on the Epic with previous regime (last name beginning with V) with the desire to fit a 'small teapot' underneath the sink.

I see you are going on your first cruise, so I'll go easy on you. ;) The Disney ships have a split bathroom and shower and its always been in their marketing as a "plus" for families. If the Epic has the same thing, how can that be bad? Is Disney not built for families?

You have confused two absolutely different (opposite) things.

The Disney ships have two separate bathrooms. And this is a huge marketing plus.

The Epic does not have the same thing.

The Epic has no bathroom at all. And this is a huge marketing minus.

Well - That was not the conversation I was thinking might develop. ...........................................................................................Oh well, I guess we will wait and see if the public offering is a success.

Note to Self: Book another cruise to help out NCL.

No problem with that.

You are such a trouper, Donna:).
That's taking one for the team.PE

Donna sounds like a real team player.... I'll go one better.... Book SEVERAL cruises... Hey, if you're gonna take one for the team, you may as well put your shoulder into it....

And i ThaNk yOu...

JWK: team player... Rah rah go team!

No problem with that.

You are such a trouper, Donna:).
That's taking one for the team.PE

Donna sounds like a real team player.... I'll go one better.... Book SEVERAL cruises... Hey, if you're gonna take one for the team, you may as well put your shoulder into it....

And i ThaNk yOu...

And i ThaNk yOu...

I've got 4 booked. ;)

PE

No problem with that.

I love it!!!:D

And i ThaNk yOu...

Yes yes yes YES!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm in!!

Let's try to get this conversation back to topic at hand please. How many of you folks will buy stock from this company that fails to post a profit?

The topic at hand was the last financials posted by NCL. The topic has run its course with just about everyone siding on NCL doing a good job in really crappy economic times. So, your idea to trash NCL did not work this time. But, I am sure you will be back many times to try again with whatever new screen name fancies you.

Buh Bye!!

PE

Let's try to get this conversation back to topic at hand please. How many of you folks will buy stock from this company that fails to post a profit?

How do you see this as the "topic at hand"? Your original post stated "http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...c/168519/1What do you all think about these contiinued operating losses?" No where in this post do you ask about who will buy stocks or anything remotely connected to that. You asked what posters thought....thats what you got!

How do you see this as the "topic at hand"? Your original post stated "http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/p...c/168519/1What do you all think about these contiinued operating losses?" No where in this post do you ask about who will buy stocks or anything remotely connected to that. You asked what posters thought....thats what you got!

Sorry if I offended you

I really am interested in what passengers have to say about the company's financial condition. It seems reasonable to ask if the market place would buy stock from a company that can not generate a posted net profit.

The topic at hand was the last financials posted by NCL. The topic has run its course with just about everyone siding on NCL doing a good job in really crappy economic times. So' date=' your idea to trash NCL did not work this time. But, I am sure you will be back many times to try again with whatever new screen name fancies you.

Buh Bye!!

PE[/color']

I think this forum is rife with name changes :rolleyes:

Sorry if I offended you

You didn't offend me, just very much confused me with your statement :confused:

If you start a thread as long as it stays on topic of the OP's first post then it is "on topic". I'm sorry if it did not follow the line in which you felt or was hoping it would.

But truthfully by the posts that followed, in answer to your follow up question. I would have to guess that the "buy in" that the posters do is through booking future cruises, not stocks. And they don't seem to be much interested in the book net profit of the company. Just the feeling I get from the posts. IMO

You didn't offend me, just very much confused me with your statement :confused:

If you start a thread as long as it stays on topic of the OP's first post then it is "on topic". I'm sorry if it did not follow the line in which you felt or was hoping it would.

But truthfully by the posts that followed, in answer to your follow up question. I would have to guess that the "buy in" that the posters do is through booking future cruises, not stocks. And they don't seem to be much interested in the book net profit of the company. Just the feeling I get from the posts. IMO

You are correct that a handful of frequent posters seem to have expressed thier opinions. It would be intersting if all the folks who have viewed this thread would also express thier thoughts vs. the same old group who seem to live here. Thank-you for the plesant exchange.

They're rowing the boat in the right direction (so to speak).

I believe the entire tourism industry is beginning to exit their recent malaise.

Just returned from the EPIC (Wonderful experience). But, am already looking to book her again.

Someone mentioned that there are no cabin bathrooms on the EPIC:eek:. Is that a new economy class cabin because mine did? Yes, the cabins do indeed have bathrooms. At least the blacony cabins have ashower that can fit two (and yes, I proved it). They have a toilet (separate from the shower, which is a good thing), and a sink separate from all of that. And no, the doors to the shower and toilet aren't transparent. They're heavily frosted.;)

Seems to be a lot of disinformation running around. And no, I'm not loyal to one cruise line. I've sailed CCL, RCCL, HAL and NCL.

As an accountant I need to say that there are non cash related matters that you do not see in the net loss. There are items such as depreciation and amortization which how they write down new equipment/ships as they are placed in service. They probably do have a profit but those items threw them to have negative income.

As an Accounting Professor, I have seen some unbelievable looks on my student's faces when explaining those "great for tax write off" non cash items!

Goodwill gets them flustered as well and I have found over the years that keeping it simple when teaching these items is the best way.:D

so long term posters are now suspect too? You should look at the comments posted on the original article. One poster hasn't been on NCL since the Norway-the only ship they sailed on NCL and it had the same menu in the main dinning room each night(it didn't).

In stead of attacking the posters you should post the basis for your opinion. Not only did I do that I also posted a link to the original financial statements.

I am sure that NCL and Apollo would like NCL to do better but I suspect its on track in its plans...and BTW the same people who own a majority in NCL also own Oceania.

Sorry if I offended you

I really am interested in what passengers have to say about the company's financial condition. It seems reasonable to ask if the market place would buy stock from a company that can not generate a posted net profit.

I do not yet know if I will buy stock. I know I like their product. I understand that the headline does not tell the whole story, and I appreciate the input by accountants on this forum. the balance sheet for a few quarters during tough economic times will not be the entire basis for my decision to buy or not to buy stock. the price of the stock and the long term profit potential will influence my decision. short term will not matter, as I invest for the long term. If NCL decides to give shareholders an OBC (like RCL), I will also take that into consideration.

I agree with swedish weave. I always look at the poster's # of posts with respect. I think that it shows integrity and honesty when there is a long history on CC.

O.k. I do a lot of reading, not much posting. My opinion is that, yes, I would buy stock in this company. It is true that a 10 M loss in not much relative to the size of the company. Things are moving in the right direction, and that is a a huge improvement on the losses of last year!

These people know what they are doing. Two new ship orders tell me that. I DESPERATELY want to book an EPIC European cruise, but lack the vacation time right now. I am thinking of a job change and don't know how that would affect my ability to take a vacation even next Jan. So,,,,, I am stuck at home right now and can't 'help' NCL out. :(

I agree with swedish weave. I always look at the poster's # of posts with respect. I think that it shows integrity and honesty when there is a long history on CC.

:(

What exactly are you agreeing with swedishweave about? Accusing this poster of multiple names? Even the 5000+ at one point had a low # of posts. I respect a very large percentage of the long time cruisers and CC loyals' date=' most (including those who have posted here) are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I also can understand where the regulars would be skeptical by the wording of the original post. It does come across as some posts do of "see the bad I found out". But the OP is certainly not a "one post wonder". [/font']

I have no idea whether this poster is for real or not, but neither do the posters with numerous posts behind them. I have conversed with the OP on other threads and I do not get the feeling that in those other threads he/she is bashing NCL or looking to cause issue IMO.

IMO also if you do not want to discuss this topic or if you feel this person is not for real. Then don’t post. If you believe this to be a critcal post, you are only encouraging those posters whos only purpose is the try and trash the company. If you feel this person is bashing NCL on purpose and don’t want newbies to take it seriously, then you can write something similar to the accountants point of view that “these numbers don’t tell the whole story.” I think the flames of accusations and name calling is not extremely productive.

Archived