Sunscreen News from Web MD and Consumer Reports!

Jacquelyn11

Consumer Reports Sunscreen Rankings

Three sunscreens were given the Consumer Reports "Best Buy" rating:

Up & Up Sport SPF 30

No-Ad with Aloe and Vitamin E SPF 45

Equate Baby SPF 50

Six others were recommended:

Banana Boat Sport Performance SPF 30

Coppertone Sport Ultra Sweatproof SPF 30

CVS Fast Cover Sport SPF 30

Walgreens Sport SPF 50

Ocean Potion Kids Instant Dry Mist SPF 50

Banana Boat Sport Performance SPF 100

Always good to know!

Jacquelyn, RPh :D

Consumer Reports Sunscreen Rankings

Three sunscreens were given the Consumer Reports "Best Buy" rating:

Up & Up Sport SPF 30

Equate Baby SPF 50

Six others were recommended:

CVS Fast Cover Sport SPF 30

Walgreens Sport SPF 50

Ocean Potion Kids Instant Dry Mist SPF 50

Always good to know!

Jacquelyn, RPh :D

---

Thanks for the post! Up & Up is the Target brand, yes?

I was just looking to purchase some new sunscreen. I used to use sunscreen from the last year, but recently heard about the shelf life issue. Thanks for the info on the consumer "best buy" list.

The Up & Up one has been on the top for the last few years I believe. I've been using it for a while. I strayed once and got a horribly uneven burn and now went back to only the Up & Up from now on.

it's also good to know that sunsceen has a shelf life, so any leftover should either be discarded, or used as a moisturiser, and not be used solely for protection from the sun.

Learned this the hard way!

Many spray sunscreens can be harmful if inhaled. Be sure to be facing in a way so the wind doesn't blow it back in your face. And also take note of what activities you plan to do. Many sunscreens are not environmently friendly and can cause damage to living coral.

Many spray sunscreens can be harmful if inhaled. Be sure to be facing in a way so the wind doesn't blow it back in your face. And also take note of what activities you plan to do. Many sunscreens are not environmently friendly and can cause damage to living coral.

=1!!

And when usinmg those sprays, also try not to do it while near someone..I hate being down-wind of someone when they are spritzing that stuff.

Are any of these oil free or biodegradable? One reason I don't like large snorkel groups is that the water gets filmy with the run off of the swimmers sunscreen. Imagine the effects of this carbon based pollutant on the corals, reefs, and fish.

Are any of these oil free or biodegradable? One reason I don't like large snorkel groups is that the water gets filmy with the run off of the swimmers sunscreen. Imagine the effects of this carbon based pollutant on the corals, reefs, and fish.

Actually it is not so much the oils as it is the active ingredient in most sunscreens, Oxybenzone, that is the biggest problem as it absorbs sunlight, rather than reflecting it. As a result, coral doesn't receive the amount of sunlight it needs and ends up bleaching. That is why biodegradable sunscreens whose active ingredient is zinc oxide (or another oxide variant) are what is recommended, and sometimes even required, when snorkeling some reefs.

it's also good to know that sunsceen has a shelf life, so any leftover should either be discarded, or used as a moisturiser, and not be used solely for protection from the sun.

yeah, I learned this the HARD WAY! OUCH!

Actually it is not so much the oils as it is the active ingredient in most sunscreens, Oxybenzone, that is the biggest problem as it absorbs sunlight, rather than reflecting it. As a result, coral doesn't receive the amount of sunlight it needs and ends up bleaching. That is why biodegradable sunscreens whose active ingredient is zinc oxide (or another oxide variant) are what is recommended, and sometimes even required, when snorkeling some reefs.

Thanks for the clarification - it's good to know that we can visit the reefs safely, for both us and them, if we use the right product, and we can harm them if we don't. I'm very surprised that Consumer Reports didn't mention this in their article, or did they?

We almost always used the Up & Up brand, until I found out that it would not be allowed for snorkeling in Cozumel. So, we bought some Mexi-Tan and it is awesome. Biodegradeable and really works well. Got a very nice tan using it and no sunburn ... and I am a red head freckle faced kind of girl. And my DS has Vitiligo and he didnt' sunburn at all on his white patches, either. I wish Consumer Reports had expanded their article to include the biodegradeable sunscreens.

Thanks for the clarification - it's good to know that we can visit the reefs safely, for both us and them, if we use the right product, and we can harm them if we don't. I'm very surprised that Consumer Reports didn't mention this in their article, or did they?

I did not read their article but what was stated by the OP, I am willing to bet that they were listing best deals based on effectiveness. The stuff we used while snorkeling is called BadgerBalm and costs roughtly $15 for 2.9oz. It is not cheap so may have been outside scope of what Consumer Reports would consider a best buy. However, it worked wonders for my wife who seems to develop an allergic reaction to standard sunscreens. She was able to use it without incident. The biggest complaint most people have about it is that is has the consistency of oatmeal and you really have to rub it in thoroughly to get rid of the white film. It is definately not as convenient as a spray sunscreen.

We almost always used the Up & Up brand, until I found out that it would not be allowed for snorkeling in Cozumel. So, we bought some Mexi-Tan and it is awesome. Biodegradeable and really works well. Got a very nice tan using it and no sunburn ... and I am a red head freckle faced kind of girl. And my DS has Vitiligo and he didnt' sunburn at all on his white patches, either. I wish Consumer Reports had expanded their article to include the biodegradeable sunscreens.

Barb, is this the one you bought? http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/330331/Mexitan_Products_Sunscreen_Lotion%2C_SPF_15/

And if so what store did you buy it at? Thanks!

I wish Consumer Reports had expanded their article to include the biodegradeable sunscreens.

The biodegradable sunscreens tend to be significantly more expensive and would more than likely not match the scope of Consumer Report's "Best Buy" category due to cost.

Actually if you are pregnant you might want to read this as well in regard to sunscreens:

Pregnant women get sunscreen warning; Ingredient could raise risk of birth defects, new report cautions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pregnant women may want to avoid using some sunscreens, warns Consumer Reports magazine.

Some sunscreens contain retinyl palmitate, an ingredient that could increase the risk of birth defects. It's a topical form of Vitamin A that the skin converts to retinoids, says the magazine. And those compounds, which are also found in certain acne medications, have been linked to an increased risk of birth defects.

When checking labels, note that the ingredient is sometimes spelled retinol palmitate and has several synonyms, including vitamin A palmitate and retinol hexadecanoate.

The report says sunscreens that pregnant women may want to avoid include:

Hawaiian Tropic Island Sport SPF 30

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist SPF 45

Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF 60

Almost every sunscreen tested by the consumer product magazine contains some chemical associated with adverse health effects in animal studies. They include oxybenzone, which might interfere with hormones in the body, and nano-sized ingredients, which are potentially linked to reproductive and developmental problems.

Still, the proven benefits of sunscreen outweigh any potential harm from the ingredients, the magazine says.

Barb, is this the one you bought? http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/330331/Mexitan_Products_Sunscreen_Lotion%2C_SPF_15/

And if so what store did you buy it at? Thanks!

Yes, that is exactly the product we bought. :D The have different SPF's (we bought the 15 & 30)and some killer bug spray that people rave about, but we haven't tried it. Anyway, it is not sold in stores ... you can buy it directly from their website: mexitan.com You can also get it sometimes on Amazon and Ebay, but usually the price is higher than buying direct from the manufacturer.

I do believe I read that in some stores in Cozumel or other Caribbean islands you can purchase it, but it is marked up pretty high. We wish they had it in the ship's store, especially since the cruises go to ports that ban chemical sunscreens.

Archived