Riedel's Wine Glass Comparative Workshop

Gibbs1984

So, my question. I have checked and the final price before actually purchasing says $174 for DW and I. I have not purchased, although I plan on attending the event. Does anyone know, for sure, if I purchase now at $174 and the price finally shows $15 each, if I can cancel and re-book at the lower price? Or is there a credit added to my on board account?

Thanks in advance.

I have just received this from Celebrity:

Thank you for your email.

We are aware of the issue and our IT Department is working to get the incorrect information removed from our website.

Guests who purchase the $15.00 package will partake in a wine tasting session only. This package does not include a set of glasses. At this time, we are unable to offer the full package with the set of glasses. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

** *******, thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Lisa Webster

Customer Service Representative

I will add here that the Celebrity reps are known for giving out incorrect information. I remember specifically someone calling asking if they could have beer in their stateroom--they were told definitively NO, no beer allowed in stateroom, when the minibar stocks it! There have been countless other cases of wrong info--really makes you wonder about their level of training and education.

I am not saying this happened in this case, but it certainly has happened frequently in the past.

So, my question. I have checked and the final price before actually purchasing says $174 for DW and I. I have not purchased, although I plan on attending the event. Does anyone know, for sure, if I purchase now at $174 and the price finally shows $15 each, if I can cancel and re-book at the lower price? Or is there a credit added to my on board account?

Thanks in advance.

I just booked it on-line. My price is $174 for DH and me. I also just received an e-mail confirmation with the $174 price noted as "paid".

Connie

BBM

Man are you wayyyyyyyyy off base with that statement when it concerns me. This is my first Celebrity sailing.

And if Celebrity tells you that the $15.00 dollar price is only for the wine tasting, what will you do? Bring out the little paper that states that glasses on included, when you just admitted that you know that the glasses are much more than the $15.00? How about a call to Celebrity from you asking what the $15.00 will get you so there are no surprises when you get on the ship? And you don't believe that you are taking advantage of a mistake that some poor HUMAN made on part of a web site?

I told my husband about what is going on and about the workshop since he is a wine lover. He told me to check with Celebrity as to the pricing since there are CONFLICTING pricing posted. He wants to know what the $15.00 package offers and what the $82.00 package offers.

You may have conflicting pricing posted. However, I don't have pricing options, I'm only being offered to be sold a $15 package which (per Celebrity) includes glasses. There is no $82 option online for my sailing.

Why is it my responsibility to contact a business to see if they're planning on fulfilling what they sold? As I said, if the $15 price (with glasses) is a mistake, Celebrity should realize this, fix their website, and contact people who have paid that price to correct the situation (even if the correction is simply a notification that the tasting no longer includes glasses, and a reminder that I have cancelation options if I no longer want to participate). How is that unreasonable on my part? :confused:

As for what I will do onboard, I'm not going to get in a shouting match with someone on the ship. I recognize that *if* this pricing is an error it isn't the onboard rep's fault. I will point out the problem though, because it is a major screwup for a company to not provide what they promised. And at the least I would expect an apology, and to not just be blown off and told that the mistake was mine.

Celebrity is part of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Between the two of us, I know which of us can be more appropriately described as a "poor human". ;)

There may also be some issues with Consumer Regulations in some countries if they try and reneg on the bookings some people have made that clearly showed in the confirmation that the glasses were included

You may have conflicting pricing posted. However, I don't have pricing options, I'm only being offered to be sold a $15 package which (per Celebrity) includes glasses. There is no $82 option online for my sailing.

Why is it my responsibility to contact a business to see if they're planning on fulfilling what they sold? As I said, if the $15 price (with glasses) is a mistake, Celebrity should realize this, fix their website, and contact people who have paid that price to correct the situation (even if the correction is simply a notification that the tasting no longer includes glasses, and a reminder that I have cancelation options if I no longer want to participate). How is that unreasonable on my part? :confused:

As for what I will do onboard, I'm not going to get in a shouting match with someone on the ship. I recognize that *if* this pricing is an error it isn't the onboard rep's fault. I will point out the problem though, because it is a major screwup for a company to not provide what they promised. And at the least I would expect an apology, and to not just be blown off and told that the mistake was mine.

Celebrity is part of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Between the two of us, I know which of us can be more appropriately described as a "poor human". ;)

BBM

Can you explain yourself here?

When I said a mistake was made by some poor human, it was whomever was working on Celebrity's website.

I have just received this from Celebrity:

Thank you for your email.

We are aware of the issue and our IT Department is working to get the incorrect information removed from our website.

Guests who purchase the $15.00 package will partake in a wine tasting session only. This package does not include a set of glasses. At this time, we are unable to offer the full package with the set of glasses. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

** *******, thank you for choosing Celebrity Cruises.

Sincerely,

Lisa Webster

Customer Service Representative

We have booked at £9.30 plus service charge and I'm quite happy with this, it's obviously only for the wine tasting, how could it be anything else.

I'm looking forward to the experience and if we like the glasses we can always buy some once we're home. :)

It was posted earlier that there was some trouble getting the glasses, and in the reply from customer service it states that they are unable to offer the full package. People who have a higher cost look like they are sailing a few months from now, so by then they may have everything fixed. I do find it curious that they would say we will have a voucher (which would be resonable if they didn't have the glasses currently). Why put that in? I thought you used to be able to take them with you or order them later, so the voucher makes sense. Why not keep the price as it was?

It was posted earlier that there was some trouble getting the glasses, and in the reply from customer service it states that they are unable to offer the full package. People who have a higher cost look like they are sailing a few months from now, so by then they may have everything fixed. I do find it curious that they would say we will have a voucher (which would be resonable if they didn't have the glasses currently). Why put that in? I thought you used to be able to take them with you or order them later, so the voucher makes sense. Why not keep the price as it was?

I sail in November so I do not know why they wouldn't be able to have the glasses by then but like someone stated maybe problems at the Riedel manufacturer? Maybe a voucher for ordering from Riedel directly? Don't know. But I know what I will be getting for my money at least.

BBM

Can you explain yourself here?

When I said a mistake was made by some poor human, it was whomever was working on Celebrity's website.

Sorry, I did understand that you were referring to whomever entered the information on the website. And I did not mean to imply a judgement about either of us (and apologize if you felt I was taking a shot at you, as that was not my intent, but now fear that it could be read that way :().

I was trying to be humerous, and suggest that I was also a poor human, and definitely poorer than Celebrity (i.e. the comparison was supposed to be between me and Celebrity). As is too often the case with me, I'm afraid, my attempt at a joke appears to have misfired. :o Sorry.

We have booked at £9.30 plus service charge and I'm quite happy with this, it's obviously only for the wine tasting, how could it be anything else.

I'm looking forward to the experience and if we like the glasses we can always buy some once we're home. :)

At the price, I can understand why people would not expect the tasting to include the glasses. But as to why it could be something else, it's because the description of what you're purchasing indicates that it is, and the confirmation which you receive indicates that it is.

A company offers to sell something at a price, provides you confirmation of what you bought at that price...I don't feel like I'm too far out on a limb to feel that they might actually be offering to provide what they say they will.

And I understand mistakes happen. But if you make a mistake, figure it out and fix it. Solve the problem before it's actually a problem. If Celebrity didn't mean to sell what they said they're selling, then a batch email to everyone who purchased the tasting at $15 would handle it (at least to my satisfaction). Ignoring the problem and assuming that I know what you meant to sell me...well, that's just not good business...

They offer (including glasses) for a price, you pay - now at that point there is no contract or obligation however under the contract law in many countries the rub is if the offerer accepts your offer - which happens when in this case the email of confirmation is sent out and the funds are taken from your credit card, at that point a binding sale has been made as advertised. However, the offeror can subsequently rescind that contract and the purchaser is entitled to a refund and compensation for any consequential loss. In this case, the consequential loss is zero so purchasers of what was advertised on line will get a refund and little else

What is concerning is if X knew it was a problem they should have stopped the confirmation emails, why not get other emails out at that stage to say actually that workshop is no longer available.

Worrying such a large organisation does not have access to website content writers who can remove something immediately the problem comes to light - it is nearly a week since this came to light and if I was to decide to book tonight from my cruise the price would be £10 or so.

Edited by uktog

At the price, I can understand why people would not expect the tasting to include the glasses. But as to why it could be something else, it's because the description of what you're purchasing indicates that it is, and the confirmation which you receive indicates that it is.

A company offers to sell something at a price, provides you confirmation of what you bought at that price...I don't feel like I'm too far out on a limb to feel that they might actually be offering to provide what they say they will.

And I understand mistakes happen. But if you make a mistake, figure it out and fix it. Solve the problem before it's actually a problem. If Celebrity didn't mean to sell what they said they're selling, then a batch email to everyone who purchased the tasting at $15 would handle it (at least to my satisfaction). Ignoring the problem and assuming that I know what you meant to sell me...well, that's just not good business...

But I did book this knowing the glasses would not be included, as someone on our roll call mentioned the price decrease and had called X, who told them the glasses are not included.

What I'm trying to say is I'm looking forward to the experience and that's why I booked it!

Thank You and I agree with Celebrity notifying the people who have purchased the product and what it will contain. An honest mistake was made, rectified it asap.

Thank You and I agree with Celebrity notifying the people who have purchased the product and what it will contain. An honest mistake was made, rectified it asap.

Yet the description still states;

"Participants receive a set of Riedel stemware to take or ship home (shipping not included)."

This is from My reservations, just before you push the button to purchase.

I just booked it on-line. My price is $174 for DH and me. I also just received an e-mail confirmation with the $174 price noted as "paid".

Connie

Thank you. That is what I have receiving when I enter the information. Guess I'll wait until closer to the cruise or maybe book on board using OBC. :cool:

/sigh

I hate bumping this thread, but wanted to let people know what my travel agent said when I asked her to find out about the comparative class.

She said that when she contacted Celebrity, she was told that you could not sign up for the workshop online, you had to be onboard. According to her contact at Celebrity, the $17.50 is the price for shipping the glasses home.

Since my agent has no reason to lie to me, I'm going to believe that, as bizarre as it sounds, that is exactly what Celebrity told her.

I'm not sure how anyone can defend this as simple human error anymore. Celebrity is making zero effort to let their customers know what exactly it is that they have charged us for.

If it weren't for the fact that getting time off from work is excruciating, I would seriously be reconsidering my cruise on Celebrity.

Edit: my agent noted that she was told that she could find out what day of the cruise the workshop would be on 3 or 4 weeks out. She'll be checking back with them at that time. I wonder what she'll be told then.

Edited by Cretia

Cretia, I don't know if you're beyond final payment, but perhaps you could cancel and have your TA book a different line that sails at the same time. It might make you happier. I guess if it's after final payment, probably not so much.

I'm honestly not trying to be a brat here. I'm just...disconcerted by the amount of effort figuring this out is taking.

And to warn people who would be happy if they were getting the tasting sans glasses that it might not be the case, either.

/sigh

I hate bumping this thread, but wanted to let people know what my travel agent said when I asked her to find out about the comparative class.

She said that when she contacted Celebrity, she was told that you could not sign up for the workshop online, you had to be onboard. According to her contact at Celebrity, the $17.50 is the price for shipping the glasses home.

Since my agent has no reason to lie to me, I'm going to believe that, as bizarre as it sounds, that is exactly what Celebrity told her.

I'm not sure how anyone can defend this as simple human error anymore. Celebrity is making zero effort to let their customers know what exactly it is that they have charged us for.

If it weren't for the fact that getting time off from work is excruciating, I would seriously be reconsidering my cruise on Celebrity.

Edit: my agent noted that she was told that she could find out what day of the cruise the workshop would be on 3 or 4 weeks out. She'll be checking back with them at that time. I wonder what she'll be told then.

Obviously, I have no reason to doubt your TA, but that is the most bizarre reason yet given for this issue. :eek: Personally, I wouldn't consider canceling the cruise just because of this screw-up. We are going on our cruise next year and I'll pay whatever the cost as I really want to experience the class. That being said, it is frustrating when you can't get a answer to a simple question. :mad:

Edited by mpbmark

Obvoiusly, I have no reason to doubt your TA, but that is the most bizarre reason yet given for this issue. :eek: Personally, I wouldn't consider canceling the cruise just because of this screw-up. We are going on our cruise next year and I'll pay whatever the cost as I really want to experience the class. That being said, it is frustrating when you can't get a answer to a simple question. :mad:

Heh, that's actually why I'm so frustrated. I'd be happy to pay the $82 or whatever the class is with the glasses. I just can't get a straight answer as to what it is, exactly, that I've purchased.

As I said in my original post, I completely agree that this is a singularly bizarre reasoning. But for the life of me, I can't see what my agent would get by lying about it and since she's never struck me as a pathological liar before, I can't do much more than shake my head.