Riedel's Wine Glass Comparative Workshop

Gibbs1984

Which ship? On Century we had a sticker and Riedel glasses every night in the MDR.

Equinox.

And oh ya, if you drink your wine in the Celler Masters, they will give you a nicer wine glass, but not Riedel.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We are travelling to the Eastern Med on the Solstice in September and would love to book places on this for my partner who is training for his advanced wine certificate.

I am a bit confused as have just spoken with Celebrity UK Customer Services who have said its not possible to book these workshops online and that if I want to 'suprise' my partner I should sneak off and book them when first embarking on the ship.

• Can anyone advise on how they booked and how in depth the workshops were and would they be ok for someone who isn't a novice?
  • Are the workshops more about the glasses than the wine??
  • If you have a drinks package that includes wine do you still have to pay?

Thanks in advance.

Have fun.

Hi

We are travelling to the Eastern Med on the Solstice in September and would love to book places on this for my partner who is training for his advanced wine certificate.

I am a bit confused as have just spoken with Celebrity UK Customer Services who have said its not possible to book these workshops online and that if I want to 'suprise' my partner I should sneak off and book them when first embarking on the ship.

• Can anyone advise on how they booked and how in depth the workshops were and would they be ok for someone who isn't a novice?

They are constantly being promoted. There are numerous wine tasting, workshops and etc. It gets to be somewhat annoying because it seems as if all the servers push them. You shouldn't have any problem booking one in secret. If you needed to be an expert very few would qualify to attend. I don't think they would keep a "expert" from attending. No matter how much you know I am sure that something will be gained. In fact if someone was an expert they may be able to evaluate the glasses better. it is just a fun thing to introduce you to Reidel.

That is the whole purpose of the workshop, to show how the glass affects the taste

The liquor package does not include workshops

Thanks in advance.

Edited by miched

We recommend it. Informative and, we thought, absolutely made a difference. Agree with previous poster, book through your table's som. so that he/she gets the credit. I'm not sure whether it was bc we order good wines or whether it was bc we had a great relationship with the som., but we simply asked for the better glasses the first night and got them every night of our cruise.

BTW, NOT having a som., was a real miss for us on our 1st RCI sailing this past spring. It made the dinner less of an occasion - and less fun for us.

• 1 month later...
Hi

Thanks in advance.

Interesting. I am on the Solstice in November. I just booked the Riedel Wine tasting for my sister and me on-line. Not sure if you can't book it because you are in the UK?

Also it was only $17.50 each? I verified and it does say we get the wine glasses. Wonder why the difference in price? Lower quality glasses?

Interesting. I am on the Solstice in November. I just booked the Riedel Wine tasting for my sister and me on-line. Not sure if you can't book it because you are in the UK?

Also it was only $17.50 each? I verified and it does say we get the wine glasses. Wonder why the difference in price? Lower quality glasses?

We also booked online. Price was a bit over 60€ per person. 17,50$ sounds way too cheap.

We also booked online. Price was a bit over 60€ per person. 17,50$ sounds way too cheap.

Maybe you should go check again Jezza... Pat is looking at it on line and its showing her $82 outside of our reservation.

I've tried to attach a picture of the screen that shows $15.00 then they add 5.00 service charge.

wine.jpg.795872cbb3908c97bc425cadd931f405.jpg

Maybe you should go check again Jezza... Pat is looking at it on line and its showing her $82 outside of our reservation.

I've tried to attach a picture of the screen that shows $15.00 then they add 5.00 service charge.

Oh well, looks like its too small to see. You'l have to trust me.

Oh well, looks like its too small to see. You'l have to trust me.

Yes, I can see that from your picture. However on their website price is starting from 82$. Well if you can get it for 17,50$, it is totally bargain then.

Yes, I can see that from your picture. However on their website price is starting from 82$. Well if you can get it for 17,50$, it is totally bargain then.

I booked it and paid for it. Shows up as purchased in my reservation. Maybe I should play the lottery today. :D

Thanks for the posting. We are on Infinity for the Panama Canal Cruise in October and I just booked my wife and I into the Riedel Workshop. We also only paid $34.50 for the two of us ($17.25 each). They must be having a special on some of the cruises. I checked out the Equinox for our March cruise and it is still $82 per person. Below is an extract of the website for our cruise that I found by going to "manage your reservations".

Riedel Comparative Wine Crystal Workshop

Conducted by highly-trained Celebrity sommeliers, this seminar includes the opportunity to savor four different varietals from our superb collection of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon, and their matching stemware. The wines are transferred into each glass to illustrate how the aromas and flavors of the wine change from glass to glass. Participants receive a set of Riedel stemware to take or ship home (shipping not included).

*Starting from: 15.00 USD Per Package

Edited by FrankinPA

Thanks eadien7 for bringing this thing up. I went to manage our reservation and indeed there was a new lower price available. I cancelled the previous reservations 60,90€ per person and made new ones for 12,08€ per person. :)

Would like to add my thanks as well. :) I'd been thinking about this, but at $80+ it wasn't something I was ready to commit to. At $17.25 it seems like a steal. While the description still mentions that "participants receive a set of Riedel stemware to take or ship home", I'm actually wondering if they're changing this (as I can't see how they can price the workshop at $17.25 with that included).

I do wish that it would tell me when the workshop is going to be. At what feels like a price discount, I'm willing to give away flexibility, but not knowing my other options for a time was part of what had kept me for purchasing this earlier (that and the price...;)).

I've thought of doing this workshop several times and never could quite bring myself to shell out the $80. Sure enough, I booked mine today for $17.25 as well. Think we'll get an "oops, sorry, that was an error" email?

I've thought of doing this workshop several times and never could quite bring myself to shell out the $80. Sure enough, I booked mine today for $17.25 as well. Think we'll get an "oops, sorry, that was an error" email?

Nope, but I'm told you won't be getting any glasses for $17.25. Per Celebrity, this is a new "tasting only" option. The package with the glasses is (or will be) $89 and can only be booked on board.

(I am just conveying what I was told. If it turns out to be wrong, well, it wouldn't be the first time.! :))

Nope, but I'm told you won't be getting any glasses for $17.25. Per Celebrity, this is a new "tasting only" option. The package with the glasses is (or will be) $89 and can only be booked on board.

(I am just conveying what I was told. If it turns out to be wrong, well, it wouldn't be the first time.! :))

I think I'll print out what it said I was buying. Sounds like a bait and switch to me.

Conducted by highly-trained Celebrity sommeliers, this seminar includes the opportunity to savor four different varietals from our superb collection of Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon, and their matching stemware. The wines are transferred into each glass to illustrate how the aromas and flavors of the wine change from glass to glass. Participants receive a set of Riedel stemware to take or ship home (shipping not included).

*Starting from: 15.00 USD Per Package

Edited by eadien7

On the main page it is still stating the $82.00 fee.

*Starting from: 82.00 USD Per Package

So I am unsure of what is going on.....

From the pricing, that was what I was thinking they might be doing. However, if so they really need to update/correct their website. I find the lack of clarity on Celebrity's website annoying at times, but that is significantly different that misstating what you're selling. Changing the price of something, but not updating the item's description to reflect the cost-saving reductions, is wrong.

I too was skeptical that a glass could affect the taste. We did the class on Solstice this past Feb. And Im now sold on it. Very informative, great wines, and We ordered 2 sets of glasses. Haven't used my old ones since. Don't pass up this class if you enjoy good.wine.

Hi Sabbycat

We are doing an Eclipse Transatlantic cruise in October and would be interested in taking the "Wine Glass Workshop", that you described so well,BUT

when I look on the Packages for our cruise, it shows it for $14.40 each plus Service Charge, NOT $80. When I put in my wife and I to purchase the package, it only shows a total of $33.12 Canadian

What am I missing? or do they get you once you have signed up for upcharges?

Any help you could give us would be appreciated.

My dh and I participated in this workshop on our last cruise. I did it mainly for the glasses. (You can order extra sets at the price of the workshop too!)The price is a great deal. In Canada, this tasting set costs $146 plus taxes and shipping. It worked out to $170 all in per set. On the ship the workshop was approx $80 CAN. Shipping to Canada is NOT $15, BUT $30. Still worth it. I already own lots of Reidel, but of the Wine Series and not the Vinum series. Vinum is a MUCH better quality, but VERY expensive in stores.

My dh had a good time at the workshop. BYW: Each glass in Canada sells for approx $55! Good deal, and lots of fun.

To those who think it is waste, you may not be wine drinkers. The shape, size etc of the glass do make a difference. Could you get glasses of the right shape for less, sure, but they are not of the same quality.

From the pricing, that was what I was thinking they might be doing. However, if so they really need to update/correct their website. I find the lack of clarity on Celebrity's website annoying at times, but that is significantly different that misstating what you're selling. Changing the price of something, but not updating the item's description to reflect the cost-saving reductions, is wrong.

I agree with you. The person with whom I spoke was shocked that anyone was even able to purchase the workshop on line right now. Apparently, they are changing how it will be offered and priced (with and without the glasses). Looks like the web meisters are behind the eight ball. No excuse.

Just in case they are doing a bait and switch, I have printed the purchase confirmation page from the "manage my reservation" section. It clearly says we get a set of glasses. Celebrity will honor that, I am sure, as to do otherwise would raise too much of a stink on these pages and in the guest services on the ship. Riedel is subsidizing these workshops for sure so the net out of pocket to Celebrity for the glasses is low.

I've just cancelled out of our USD174 reservation and rebooked at USD34.50 for two workshop places on our upcoming TA. The reservation summary email states "An invitation to the Riedel Wine Glass Workshop with the time, date and location will be provided in your stateroom upon arrival, along with a coupon to redeem your Riedel Tasting Set on-line through our Celebrity Vineyards website" so it will be interesting to see if this is honored. When I went to rebook after canceling 17.25 p/p was the only payment option.