*** The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

We have Texas, OK, AR, KS, the Midwest and the West as our cruise marketing area; our CC crew had people from AZ, CA, WA, ID as well as Michigan and Iowa.

Celebrity was doing 11 day Panama Cruises out of here. HAL would also be a good addition with longer itineraries.

I'm down near Ellington and it's not raining yet. Just heard some thunder off in the distance. From the radar I've seen it might pass to the North of us down here.
Certainly no rain here along the bay. We've only gotten about 1/2 inch out of all these systems. Galveston seems fogged in this morning.

As an aside, actually the twain did meet; Rudyard Kipling had an American wife, lived in New England and was a friend of Mark Twain. But, you knew that of course.:)

Tomorrow this time we will be on our way to Galveston to board the Magic. Hope the weather passes thru and we have sunshine tomorrow. It has been raining in Richmond since about 7:00 am. All the kids are coming over later to celebrate granddaughter's 2nd birthday since we will be gone on her actual birthday. Hope it clears up and I will be waving at you from my aft extended balcony. Hope we like it!!

We have Texas, OK, AR, KS, the Midwest and the West as our cruise marketing area; our CC crew had people from AZ, CA, WA, ID as well as Michigan and Iowa.

Celebrity was doing 11 day Panama Cruises out of here. HAL would also be a good addition with longer itineraries.

Also, a good consideration is that Houston is about 2 1/2 hours air time from just about anywhere in the US vs. multi hours from the West Coast to Florida.

I'd "kill" for a longer itinerary to different places out of Galveston. I've been to Cozumel so many times the shop keepers practically know me by name (lol). On the plus side, I know where the good bathrooms are!

If the Mariner comes in on time and leaves on time tomorrow, I think it will be about the first cruise that has left/returned as scheduled since the first of December. If it wasn't the virus, it was the fog at one end or the other.

Tucker in Texas

Got much rain last night along with 2" hail on the south side of San Antonio. Fortunately, we only got pea size! But more rain!!! Yea!

Here is a pic of the Guadalupe last week:

igasyb.jpg

Keep in mind that this summer there was NO water at all in this part of the river so the county decided to enlarge the one lane bridge. Lucky they got the pilons in before the rain came;)

9 and 10 day cruises to Panama Canal...alternate those cruises with 4 and 5 day cruises. This would permit either Monday or Friday departures for longer cruises...

Panama jacked up the rates for partials in the canal so high that it is no longer a part of cruise itineraries. Once the Panamax locks are done, fees will drop and much of the traffic is move to the new locks....maybe then cruise lines can afford to offer paritals as part of round trip itineraries.

Please, Celebrity...come back to Galveston!!!!!

Would you go for the ABC islands as an itin. Bonaire, Curacou and Aruba??? Then back to Coz and home.
Oh yeah, love those islands, and Coz crowds can be avoided, do Nachi Cocum or some other resort. Curacao remains my favorite island to date, and a Woodwind snorkle in Bonaire you'll always remember.

Panama jacked up the rates for partials in the canal so high that it is no longer a part of cruise itineraries. Once the Panamax locks are done, fees will drop and much of the traffic is move to the new locks....maybe then cruise lines can afford to offer paritals as part of round trip itineraries.
The locks were interesting once! I might like to do a San Diego to Lauderdale and see some new ports, but Panama itself wasn't that thrilling. We actually had a better day in Costa Rica.

The waffles on the Magic totally sucked!! I think they were Eggos out of a toster, at least in the main dining room.

9 and 10 day cruises to Panama Canal...alternate those cruises with 4 and 5 day cruises. This would permit either Monday or Friday departures for longer cruises...

Please, Celebrity...come back to Galveston!!!!!

HAL and Princess are still doing partials out of Ft. Lauderdale. I've started doing some research for our cruise in November...I read it costs the Zuiderdam almost $400,000 to enter the canal as far as Gatun Lake!:eek:

Both snorkeling and our dives were the best we have ever had on Bonaire! Water visability was awesome and anywhere around the island you can just walk into the water and shore dive or snorkel...you're right on the reef. Such fish, the tarpon were 6 ft long and looked like liquid mercury and they love to swim with snorkelers! Loved those. I would book that cruise in a heartbeat!

I know when we went on the 9 day cruise in November there were LOTS of senior citizens onboard! I think there were only about 30 children onboard and I've never seen so many scooters, wheelchairs, and walkers on a cruise. So, definitely any cruises than go beyond that seven 6-8 day window bring in a different group.

Mom said she felt young on that cruise.

HAL and Princess are still doing partials out of Ft. Lauderdale. I've started doing some research for our cruise in November...I read it costs the Zuiderdam almost $400,000 to enter the canal as far as Gatun Lake!:eek:

That leads to fares folks don't like. May be able though to just dock in Colon and do canal tours.

As for the rain it came just before I planned to go to the ranch so I waited 30 min while the dogs snuggled for protection from the thunder.

I know when we went on the 9 day cruise in November there were LOTS of senior citizens onboard! I think there were only about 30 children onboard and I've never seen so many scooters, wheelchairs, and walkers on a cruise. So, definitely any cruises than go beyond that seven 6-8 day window bring in a different group.

Sounds like my kind of people. We love longer cruises so we are comfortable with the demographic. Once upon a time we did the Splendour for 11 days to Panama our of Galveston and Celebrity's Galaxy on basically the same itinerary, also out of Galveston. I think Galveston could easily support at least one ship with longer itineraries. The ABC island would probably require 12 or more days.

Carla -- I hope you're OK...it looks like you had some very nasty weather in College Station tonight.:( I read there was a tornado in Wellborn and lots of hail! Be safe!

Thanks Cindy--we are fine. I did spend about 20 minutes in the 1/2 bath with my pillow, blanket, flash light & cell phone!! DH thought I was nuts, but weather man told us (Pebble Creek) to take immediate cover--supposedly a tornado on the ground heading right towards us. Turned out the worst of it was around Snook then angled up through Wellborn, Castle Rock & to the Mall area. Had lots of lightning, thunder & maybe a couple inches of rain--no hail & very little wind. Ended up with lots of flooding through out town, but no significant damage. We lucked out! Appreciate your concern.

Tomorrow this time we will be on our way to Galveston to board the Magic. Hope the weather passes thru and we have sunshine tomorrow. It has been raining in Richmond since about 7:00 am. All the kids are coming over later to celebrate granddaughter's 2nd birthday since we will be gone on her actual birthday. Hope it clears up and I will be waving at you from my aft extended balcony. Hope we like it!!

Have a great cruise aggie1--don't worry about your balcony--it really is nice. You'll have a great cruise.

I realize that Galveston pulls from a large area, but just concerned after hearing people from CA, WA, Canada, etc on our cruises commenting on how hard & expensive it is to get to Galveston from the airports. Most of the people I talked with that had to fly said they would never do it again. I can't believe the rental car agencies aren't opening up all over Galveston--sure seems like a great market!

Personally, would love to see as many cruise ships in Galveston as possible, especially with longer & different itineraries.

I realize that Galveston pulls from a large area, but just concerned after hearing people from CA, WA, Canada, etc on our cruises commenting on how hard & expensive it is to get to Galveston from the airports. Most of the people I talked with that had to fly said they would never do it again. I can't believe the rental car agencies aren't opening up all over Galveston--sure seems like a great market!

Personally, would love to see as many cruise ships in Galveston as possible, especially with longer & different itineraries.

It really is quite a problem. Even if you fly into Hobby, it is still a long haul on down to Galveston, compared to most cities.

Hertz and Enterprise have tried it, but for whatever reasons it hasn't worked. I think that they weren't staffing for Sundays which was a big problem.

Yer preaching to the choir!!:)

If you golf, take your clubs and play White Witch in Mo Bay!!

http://www.whitewitchgolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=647&page=35326

Hertz and Enterprise have tried it, but for whatever reasons it hasn't worked. I think that they weren't staffing for Sundays which was a big problem.

Yer preaching to the choir!!:)

If you golf, take your clubs and play White Witch in Mo Bay!!

http://www.whitewitchgolf.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=647&page=35326

White Witch is breathtakingly beautiful!

golfpcc - thandks for you kind words. You must be a fellow aggie and I just hope I like the cabin, our first time. Here's hoping for cool weather tomorrow and no fog, but if fog we will go with the flow!!!

I don't think you'll have fog tomorrow. Cool front has blown through. Have a great time on your cruise!

Archived