*** The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Low 70's, drove back from Dallas Convention Center last evenign with the top down......Rain today, but another in the 70's day.

Bet we see some fog this weekend in Galveston (winds are coming off the Gulf).

It was very foggy here last night. I was driving to Angleton from LJ and it was thick. By the time I came home it was raining and, of course, no fog with all the rain. Great to have the rain but temps in the 70's in early February??? No winter for us this year it seems!

It was very foggy here last night. I was driving to Angleton from LJ and it was thick. By the time I came home it was raining and, of course, no fog with all the rain. Great to have the rain but temps in the 70's in early February??? No winter for us this year it seems!
Galveston Wed. there was heavy rain and heavy fog an interesting combination. I have a lot of tropicals that are too big to move that a hard freeze would kill, so I'm not complaining. Thank you Al Gore!!:rolleyes:

I see the back and forth between RCCL and Carnival discussion while I'm waiting to book the Crown Princess this month. We rode the old Grand twice out of Galveston, and got hooked on Princess. The Crown will do four ports in seven days from here.

Gee Rancher, yours would be a hard business from which to retire, as we've noticed that you've already put the cows out to pasture!!:)

No winter for us this year it seems!

You keep saying that....maybe it'll cause it to snow. We had a light snow here last February! I'd love to see it from our new house this year. It was gone by the afternoon, but ya gotta love those flakes coming down don't ya?!:p

We are going to refuse holiday cruises after this next one. Telling our DD and family "No more" pricing is just too high. And Alaska has not yet been scheduled for 2013 which is when we must go....I figure May or even September to avoid the big pricing. But I may consult Rick about it;) I think his is coming up this May, right Rick?

Gerry: that sounds like a good idea, never cruised with Princess and would like to try it. Itins look good and if pricing is low we may just go this year. When does she get here again????

I am really looking forward to retirement and being able to cruise when it's less expensive and less crowded. Down to only four months and counting!:D

Well, I guess I'll be yelling for you to get off on the 11th!;) Please bring her back in good shape and on-time!

Hey, since you have an Owner's Suite maybe we will just stowaway--you'll have plenty of room! :D

Gerry: that sounds like a good idea, never cruised with Princess and would like to try it. Itins look good and if pricing is low we may just go this year. When does she get here again????

Her first cruise out of Galveston seems to be Dec. 22 and she leaves for the Med in late April.

Sort of on a par with Celebrity, older than Carnival and younger than HAL. Usually good itineraries, food and service.

Ship looks mighty interesting...been studying her off and on all day. Lots of little nooks and crannies to explore. I know people complain about the layout though. That star bridge looks Kool! But the April 20th itin is still pretty $$$ 1400 for an inside:eek: when we can get an inside on Mariner for around 1000. But maybe if the Easter Bunny is good to us;)

Becci--you could try the Disney Magic!!! :rolleyes: Noticed they have extended their sailings through May 18, 2013 out of Galveston. Starting Dec 6th they are going to rotate 6 & 8 day itinerary--the 8 day looks good--Key West, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya & Cozumel. Wish they would drop Mexico & add their private island. However, it is too rich for my blood & all those kids!! Don't think so!

I have also been looking at the Crown Princess--sure we will try it next winter, but think I'll wait for some last minute deal. I did just get a quote for a balcony in Jan. at $1030pp total. Can't help but think the prices will come down--do you think we can fill that many ships in Galveston?

how did i miss this thread? i love watching cruise cams! (hmmm...that sounds weird...)

They probably have a twelve step program for people like you!!:)

--do you think we can fill that many ships in Galveston?

They were filling five ships before and the population has only grown.

Cruise marketing sez we're the cruise hub for better than 30 million people, and I think that's understated especially if you include the Mexican market. The line for foreign passports was unreal coming off the Magic last month. The Western Caribe went soft, but with the current economic times, people are staying closer to home, so the West is stronger again.

I'm sure that if Rancher puts on his TA hat that he can elaborate.

That's the second in less than six months Klingon, you got more sand and gravel than a Texas streambed!!:eek:

Cruise marketing sez we're the cruise hub for better than 30 million people, and I think that's understated especially if you include the Mexican market. The line for foreign passports was unreal coming off the Magic last month. The Western Caribe went soft, but with the current economic times, people are staying closer to home, so the West is stronger again.

It's so darn easy to just drive over to Galveston and hop on the ship!!! I think there's LOTS of us that feel this way. This year was the first time we did Roatan/Belize/Coz/Grand Cayman for our 9 day. That was a great itinerary and a good change.

I am really looking forward to retirement and being able to cruise when it's less expensive and less crowded. Down to only four months and counting!:D

Well, I guess I'll be yelling for you to get off on the 11th!;) Please bring her back in good shape and on-time!

Since DH now has 6+ weeks of vacation time and I have my 30 years in, it seems like a good time to get out of public education and not be tied to a school schedule!:)

ahhhh RETIREMENT, 4 years and counting for me and I absolutely LOVE it. It is very nice to go whenever kids are still in school!!! nothing against kids, but after 30 years in education, it s nice not to cruise with many of them. Cindy, don't make the mistake we made tho. Every year since retiring I have gone on a cruise around either inservice or school beginning. last year, I forgot to factor in that NEW YORK does not go back to school until after labor day and the liberty was FULL of new york school age children and their parents!!!!! :eek: we were so happy that we scored an upgrade to a GS and so we got to take advantage of suite area at the pool. wow, no Texas manners that week. Congrats!!!

I've been needing to try princess, so that's a good idea to try it out of Galveston!!

Becci--you could try the Disney Magic!!! :rolleyes: Noticed they have extended their sailings through May 18, 2013 out of Galveston. Starting Dec 6th they are going to rotate 6 & 8 day itinerary--the 8 day looks good--Key West, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya & Cozumel. Wish they would drop Mexico & add their private island. However, it is too rich for my blood & all those kids!! Don't think so!

I have also been looking at the Crown Princess--sure we will try it next winter, but think I'll wait for some last minute deal. I did just get a quote for a balcony in Jan. at $1030pp total. Can't help but think the prices will come down--do you think we can fill that many ships in Galveston?

Carla -- I hope you're OK...it looks like you had some very nasty weather in College Station tonight.:( I read there was a tornado in Wellborn and lots of hail! Be safe!

They probably have a twelve step program for people like you!!:)

That's the second in less than six months Klingon, you got more sand and gravel than a Texas streambed!!:eek:

Galveston/Houston definitely is full of people many who do or can/would like to cruise. It is not as if Houston is a city mostly in poverty...

A lot of what holds back the ships from coming is the amount of ports that can be hit in a week, and the 6/8 day rotation is about as good as it can get for the big mass markets...because most folks actually can't get beyone a week off for vacation, especially those who actually don't get any vacation pay.

There are some that say the GOM crossing is a reason, but if they really look at distances they see that is not really much of a factor. True the first and last day are at sea, but you gotta have a few sea days regardless, other than Med and Southern Caribbean cruises.

As new ships come to market, (as long as none replace damaged ships) then we get more market capacity and it is more likely we will see new ships coming Texas way...slow process. Also, takes more ships in the lines not already here...so they can compete with who is.

I'd like to see Celebrity show up for one...and more Disney time here.

A lot of what holds back the ships from coming is the amount of ports that can be hit in a week, and the 6/8 day rotation is about as good as it can get for the big mass markets...because most folks actually can't get beyone a week off for vacation, especially those who actually don't get any vacation pay.

I agree - noticed that on our upcoming cruise in April there will be five other ships in Cozumel besides the Mariner including Allure. Not looking forward to such a crowded port:eek:

I think Triumph is due in today, but I just looked at the cameras and it won't be any time soon!:mad: Yes, it's foggy in Galveston again!:(

Meanwhile in Houston it started raining at 7:00. So far we've had 1.4 inches, and it's still coming down!:eek:

Meanwhile in Houston it started raining at 7:00. So far we've had 1.4 inches, and it's still coming down!

I'm down near Ellington and it's not raining yet. Just heard some thunder off in the distance. From the radar I've seen it might pass to the North of us down here.

I think Triumph is due in today, but I just looked at the cameras and it won't be any time soon!:mad: Yes, it's foggy in Galveston again!:(

Meanwhile in Houston it started raining at 7:00. So far we've had 1.4 inches, and it's still coming down!:eek:

It has been foggy down this way ALL week long! Really tired of the muggy, nasty weather. Looks like a front is coming in with all this rain to give us some relief. What a winter we haven't had!! ;)

I know when we went on the 9 day cruise in November there were LOTS of senior citizens onboard! I think there were only about 30 children onboard and I've never seen so many scooters, wheelchairs, and walkers on a cruise. So, definitely any cruises than go beyond that seven 6-8 day window bring in a different group.

Archived