*** The ALL NEW RCI Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

how hard & expensive it is to get to Galveston from the airports.

It's a bit of a hike but don't the cruise lines run shuttles ? On our TA one guy chartered a bus to Hobby and paid for it at about $12pp. Could Scholes(sp) Field handle the little Bombardiers etc ?

golfpcc - thandks for you kind words. You must be a fellow aggie and I just hope I like the cabin, our first time. Here's hoping for cool weather tomorrow and no fog, but if fog we will go with the flow!!!

Aggie1, your ship is here!:D Have a great time!

Public Service Announcement...I don't know if everybody has seen it, but the Magic's webcam is now linked with all the other cameras. Since the Magic didn't turn this morning, that means we should be able to stare at the Mariner all day!

We would love to have OP stay on the island pre or post cruise for a few days. However, there is only one rent car agency in Galveston, not open on Sunday, closes at noon on Saturday. Same with the one in Texas City. Hertz never returned after Ike and Enterprise doesn't seem to care (franchise).

Even residents need rent cars. With all the ships coming in you would think someone would have the foresight and open a rental agency here.

I tried a letter writing campaign to all the major agencies - perhaps it will do some good.

Private limos are available and, if more than 3 or 4, affordable and very comfortable.

It's a bit of a hike but don't the cruise lines run shuttles ? On our TA one guy chartered a bus to Hobby and paid for it at about $12pp. Could Scholes(sp) Field handle the little Bombardiers etc ?

Hobby being as close as it is has negated flights out of Galveston.

Scholes Field was built as a bomber base and has handled 737s. Metro, Delta, and Trans Texas among others have all tried to fly out of there. But they never had the passenger count to make it work.

We, the COC, did an official visit with SW in the late 80s in Dallas, but to no avail. So yes, we've done due diligence, and the "Galveston doesn't care" line is crap. Post Ike we're probably less than 40 thousand, name another city in Texas that size with regular air service and a major airport less then 40 min. away!!!:rolleyes:

Public Service Announcement...I don't know if everybody has seen it, but the Magic's webcam is now linked with all the other cameras. Since the Magic didn't turn this morning, that means we should be able to stare at the Mariner all day!

Link please?

What about the turbo prop puddle jumpers. Back in the 70's I flew in and out of Kilgore in those. Probably held 20 people or so and had connections with other small cities in Texas at least.

Aggie1 if you've got your ears on, I'm green, wish I was there!!!:(

De havilland twin otters, I flew them out of Galveston, Port Arthur and Ellington in the late 70s to Intercontinental. Some of those short flights remain in my memory for a lifetime!!:mad:

People throwing up and praying is not my idea of a good flight!!

Panama Canal.....Usual fee was around $245,000 per ship for a turn around in Gatun Lake. Now, it is running $400,000 to $450,000 for the same Gatun Lake turn. Now that is only about $10 to $15 per passenger but it is sufficient to move itineraries and I personally think if the cruise lines had rolled over and paid, the rate would ahve jumped again.

Panama Canal.....Usual fee was around $245,000 per ship for a turn around in Gatun Lake. Now, it is running $400,000 to $450,000 for the same Gatun Lake turn. Now that is only about $10 to $15 per passenger but it is sufficient to move itineraries and I personally think if the cruise lines had rolled over and paid, the rate would ahve jumped again.

My SIL was a purser on a Navy frigate about 3 - 4 years ago. He used to write a check for $50,000 each time they went through the canal. I had the webcam site for the canal and was able to watch them go through. They made the trip often because they were doing drug ops between the US and South America. Some of the modes of drug transport were pretty interesting, including a homemade submarine.

Someone get down to the Strand and wipe that camera lens. Covered by a big ol' rain drop!

What cam are you saying lets you see Mariner? Only one I know of is the Strand. The harbor shows the butt end of Magic.

galveston.com shows them at the docks - piers 23 & 28

I believe you have to go to the website for Carnival Magic to view the ship webcam.

Someone get down to the Strand and wipe that camera lens. Covered by a big ol' rain drop!

What cam are you saying lets you see Mariner? Only one I know of is the Strand. The harbor shows the butt end of Magic.

If you look at the list of webcams, Magic is the last one. Since Magic didn't turn today, the view is of the Mariner!:)

Pier 28 camera also shows the Mariner.

If you look at the list of webcams, Magic is the last one. Since Magic didn't turn today, the view is of the Mariner!:)

Pier 28 camera also shows the Mariner.

I love the webcam for Magic on galveston.com. Good view of the bow of Mariner today! I wonder why Magic didn't turn? Maybe it was windy this a.m. when they pulled into port?

I love the webcam for Magic on galveston.com. Good view of the bow of Mariner today! I wonder why Magic didn't turn? Maybe it was windy this a.m. when they pulled into port?

Very windy down there today. Currently Mariner has the tug Diablo along side and Magic has the tug San Luis next to her just in case. For these large ships to have control in strong wind, they have to be going something like 3 knots. So, when they are going slow in the harbor, they need some help.

Texas Teen has a good shot as that tug parked by Mariner seems to be pushing a fuel lighter (barge). With thrusters and twin screws, those ships can do amazing things, think Caymans.

Another interesting thing going on in Galveston is that they are widening the Galveston RR causeway, the tightest passage on the inner coastal. You can see the twin blue towers as you travel over the causeway, but, if you go down harborside, you can also see the central trestle that will be in-place between them. When finished, the central trestle will lift horizontally straight up for about 100 ft. clearance.

On a hystrical note, Galveston was served by rail pre Civil War with a causeway from Texas Point.

Think it's more than10-15pp. I believe it is well over a hundred per pax.

Very windy down there today. Currently Mariner has the tug Diablo along side and Magic has the tug San Luis next to her just in case. For these large ships to have control in strong wind, they have to be going something like 3 knots. So, when they are going slow in the harbor, they need some help.

Yep, I know. I live down here very close to Galveston. It's not windy right now or when I got up at 8:30 a.m., but maybe it was earlier this a.m. when they docked. I know we had thunderstorms during the night down here in SE Texas.

After I posted this I looked at Wunderground.com and our winds are 8 mph there's are 15-20 mph and gusting. I guess we're 10 miles inland and it makes a difference. I figured it had to have been some wind over there.

Archived