Royal Caribbean to base Voyager of the Seas in Sydney

So much for the Caribbean part of Royal Caribbean.......:rolleyes: I think it's in the minority now..

It may be true unfortunately, but they are going to place their ships where they believe the money and passengers are and Asia is apparently a very fast growing market. However, except for the summer time, which is traditionally a time of lower demand there is still a good presence in the Caribbean. Perhaps when the Project Sunshine ships debut and our economy improves, the situation will change. In the meantime, those of us who like both the Caribbean and the more exotic cruising destinations have more choices to decide among.:) We've also seen how quickly they can adjust when some of their deployment decisions turn out to be less successful than they anticipated.

Bill

I wonder if this announcement is the reason why the Sept 2012 Hawaiian and Austrailia repos haven't been posted for Radiance and Rhapsody of the Seas yet?

With Celebrity sending Solstice and now Royal Caribbean sending Voyager to Australia, I wonder if either (or both) the Radiance and Rhapsody might be going somewhere else after their Alaska itineraries are done in Sept 2012?

Back in April the 2012-2013 Radiance itineraries for Australia were posted, but taken down in May. I guess they are reevaluating, but I am hoping the Radiance will be back, especially with all it's enhancements.

So much for the Caribbean part of Royal Caribbean.......:rolleyes: I think it's in the minority now..

It all has to bums on beds. The Carribean is not bringing the $$$$ for RCCL so they are going elsewhere.

I think it is great for this part of the world.

Oh,I don't begrudge you for getting the VY.....I'm just thinking Royal Caribbean needs a name change..:)

They already call the company Royal Caribbean INTERNATIONAL. The latest news just emphasizes the "International" part of their identity. It has been quite a long time since they moved from being a Caribbean only operation. :)

They already call the company Royal Caribbean INTERNATIONAL. The latest news just emphasizes the "International" part of their identity. It has been quite a long time since they moved from being a Caribbean only operation. :)

Yea,but calls it that?? When someone asks what line do you cruise,what do you say?? I say Royal Caribbean....:p

'just saying:D:D

This is really great news and I support Royal's desicion to send Voyager to Asia in the summer and Australia in the winter! :D Looks like they finally realized that they have too many ships in Europe during the summer and can't keep Voyager out of Venice with fares going as low as $399 for some 7 night cruises. And fares for Radiance and Rhapsody out of Australia are much higher on a per-night basis than any other ship in the Royal Caribbean Fleet for this upcoming winter. :) Expanding in Australia is a very good move.

Now if only they would pull out another under performing ship or two from oversaturated Europe and send it to the Caribbean where there are not enough ships in the summer! (There's no gulf coast ship during the summer, and starting in 2012, no Southern Caribbean ships during the summer.) And for those saying there is low demand for the Caribbean in the summer, fares are overall higher in the Caribbean than Europe this summer. :) The more demand there is, the higher the fares go.

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread... I'm happy about Voyager's redeployment and fully support sending her to Asia and Australia! :D Looks like Royal's fleet deployment is moving a little in the right direction...

So I guess this means that New Orleans only has a ship for one Caribbean season. Or are they moving something else to NOLA in 2012?

Navigator is replacing Voyager from New Orleans.

Quick side note: Navigator is coming from Florida, so Florida is pretty much losing a Voyager-class ship. But Florida wasn't supposed to get a Voyager-class ship after last winter anyway. Navigator was supposed to be in Europe this winter, but they decided to pull out of Europe in the winter except for the Independence. Florida is getting a winter Voyager-class one season longer than planned.

Voyager would have no problem transiting Suez. There are no locks. The canal depth is about double the draft of Voyager. The closest limiting factor I can see is a bridge, which is about 230' above the water. That's about 20' more than Voyager needs.

They are cancelling Voyager's May 2012 europe cruises also, so they may not even head to the Med. Our May 11, 2012 cruise has been pulled and they told us we will get the offical cancellation in the next week.

Maybe VOS will leave New Orleans and head down and around South America like Mariner did this past winter, then head west.

Guess it depends on which transit is the most economical.

I hope Voyager does a SE Asia cruise :D

It might when it first gets there. this is what the press release says.

Voyager of the Seas also will sail a short series of cruises out of Singapore in May, 2012, before arriving in Shanghai.

Royal Caribbean says Voyager of the Seas will move to Shanghai in June 2012 for a series of four- to 10-night sailings out of the city. The voyages will include stops in Fukuoka and Kobe in Japan; and Busan and Jeju in Korea, and continue through October 2012, when the vessel will depart for a season of voyages out of Sydney, Australia

We are booked on the April 30 cruise next spring from Barcelona to Venice and our booking isn't showing up on Royal's website, it was earlier today. Looks like we have been cancelled - any idea on how this is handled? Do they just let you know and refund the deposit or will they offer something on a similar itinerary?

This article in USA Today mentioned that Voyager will sail a series of cruises from Singapore in May 2012. :D

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2011/06/royal-caribbean-china-cruise-ship-voyager-of-the-seas-/173502/1

That will be neat, as hopefully the new cruise terminal in Singapore should be up and running by then:)

We are booked on the April 30 cruise next spring from Barcelona to Venice and our booking isn't showing up on Royal's website, it was earlier today. Looks like we have been cancelled - any idea on how this is handled? Do they just let you know and refund the deposit or will they offer something on a similar itinerary?

I was booked on a JW cruise for next April..........it got redeployed.....we were given a choice to book another JW cruise that month(price protected) or any other RCCL cruise........all with $100 OBC........

They should call/email you if you booked directly or they will your TA know,who in turn will let you know.

Hopefully because I would really love to do the Hawaii to Vancouver (or reverse) again on the Rhapsody.

However I have a feeling the "beards" at Royal are in the process of making a decision. The Sept 2012 and May 2013 Hawaii repo itineraries were posted on Royal Caribbean's website briefly without pricing, but were removed after a couple of days and haven't returned. To me this is a sign that a change may be under consideration and this announcement might be the reason.

That was a great cruise, wasn't it? We have it on our list to do again as well.

I keep hoping that RCI is going to be able to fashion some kind of itinerary on the West Coast with one of its ships. As Princess has illustrated, it doesn't have to be a 7-night Mexico itinerary to succeed.

Repos are the best! :D:D And sounds like there will be a killer repo itinerary. Too bad I don't have enough vacation days to justify such a cruise. Sigh ...

And score for our Shanghai and Aussie friends.

I was secretly wishing for Voyager to home base in FLL. Looks like South Florida does not have any Voyager class ship for 2012/2013 winter season.

Well, I will just have to make do with Liberty and Oasis/Allure. What a tough life! :p

We are on the same cruise. It is suspended they told me this AM and we will be called as soon as they know what is happening. Call them and be sure they have your contact info.

Doesn't sound good. We are taking the Liberty over first. So want something to do a B2B.

Is it just me, but the real issue here is "Will Derek Lewis, Adult Daycare at Night" stay on the Voyager or move to a US based ship?:cool:

I was on Voyager in Europe last year and don't remember him there. Maybe his humor doesn't translate outside the south. :rolleyes:

Archived