Holland American pre charges.

MTVL

I just notice that HAL wants to pre-charges our credit cards 60 per-person per-day, even our 4 year old, just in case ? and if we don't use it at the end they will refund it. So for this 12 day cruise my 4 year old and 8 year old is charge 720 each . Also HAL wants us to pre pay for Tours and dinner reservations? Well I've been on lots of other Cruise lines and never had this. Just sailed with Disney and NCL last year and they didn't do this. Not happy. This is my first with HAL.

You don't have to pre-pay for anything. The $60 per day per person is a hold, not a charge. Hotels do this all the time to make sure your credit or debit card has enough credit or cash available to cover things.

At the end of your cruise, your credit card will only be charged for what you actually spent. The amt. of the hold will decrease as the days go by. I've sailed on Carnival, and they do the same thing.

Enjoy your cruise. Sorry this is stressing you out.

Roz

As to pre-paying for excursions, that's your choice. You can sign up for excursions for your cruise on the HAL website and indeed those have to be paid for now but you can also wait until you're on the ship to make the reservations and pay for them at that time. Same thing works for pre-paying for specialty restaurant reservations if you decide not to eat in one of the already included dining venues like the Main Dining Room or Lido Café. We actually kind of liked being able to sign up for excursions before we cruised. We were able to pre-pay and get those bills out of the way well before the cruise. While we probably didn't wind up spending less it did help with the "sticker shock" at the end of the cruise as at least the excursions weren't included. :)

Edited by Randyk47

Agree with Randy. Pre-paying excursions lightens the load at the end of the cruise.

Also, it's hard for me to believe that Disney and NCL don't pre-authorize credit cards or ask for a cash deposit. I think HAL is very up front about what they do, therefore passengers are aware of it and more likely to complain about it on message boards because it's a misunderstood policy.

I travel for work and my AMEX is constantly full of "pending" charges that are over and above what I actually end up paying at a hotel or restaurant.

Roz

You don't have to pre-pay for anything. The $60 per day per person is a hold, not a charge. Hotels do this all the time to make sure your credit or debit card has enough credit or cash available to cover things.

At the end of your cruise, your credit card will only be charged for what you actually spent. The amt. of the hold will decrease as the days go by. I've sailed on Carnival, and they do the same thing.

Enjoy your cruise. Sorry this is stressing you out.

Roz

You need to re read your HAL Per-charges for your card, they charge on the very first day of your cruise 60.00 per person per day , even for our 4 year old. and at the end of the cruise they will release it, which they say may take up to 30 days for it to clear off. And no Disney, RCCl, NCL, Princess does not do this. I do a lot of traveling and have been a Travel Agent for many years. This is just bad business and I will not go on another HAL cruise. I'm ok with pre paying for tours and extras and tipping. I am not ok with pre paying a charge just in case I need it.

If you'll take a closer look, you'll notice this is a hold, not a charge against your credit card. The card will be only charged for the actual amount after the cruise.

A Hold still holds up my money for 12 or more days. Thousand of dollars for the 4 of us. Some of us do not have a credit card for a unlimited amount of money.

You need to re read your HAL Per-charges for your card, they charge on the very first day of your cruise 60.00 per person per day , even for our 4 year old. and at the end of the cruise they will release it, which they say may take up to 30 days for it to clear off. And no Disney, RCCl, NCL, Princess does not do this. I do a lot of traveling and have been a Travel Agent for many years. This is just bad business and I will not go on another HAL cruise. I'm ok with pre paying for tours and extras and tipping. I am not ok with pre paying a charge just in case I need it.

I just pulled my AMEX bill for the month before, during, and after my Maasdam cruise in March. It absolutely shows a hold not a charge and then a final bill.

Please provide us with the reference where you see this information so that we can be enlightened. Most of us are familiar with this procedure and it is in fact a HOLD only. No charge goes through and the hold does not carry an interest date since it is only becomes a charge at the end of the cruise.

Are you perhaps talking about a DEBIT card as opposed to a CREDIT card?

I have been on NCL and Princess and can assure that they also do this, as do most hotels.

You are not paying anything before it is actually due, other than restaurants or excursions. You are paying your tips (service charge) only at the end of the cruise.

Edited by taxmantoo

MTVL,

I do not not to re-read anything, thank you. I can't believe that you say you travel a lot and have never seen holds on your credit card. I'm sorry, you are absolutely wrong, other cruise lines, as well as hotels and restaurants, not to mention gas stations do this.

I'm sorry I tried to help you understand the process. Hope you have a miserable time on your cruise ruminating on the $60 hold.

Roz

You need to re read your HAL Per-charges for your card, they charge on the very first day of your cruise 60.00 per person per day , even for our 4 year old. and at the end of the cruise they will release it, which they say may take up to 30 days for it to clear off.

Maybe you need to re-read it.

From HAL's FAQs:

Upon embarkation, we will seek an initial authorization on your card(s) for USD $60 per person for each day of your cruise. For cruises longer than 25 days, the hold is USD$30.00 per person, per day. (Please note, this authorization will not be placed against your credit or debit card(s) until the day of sailing.) At the end of your cruise, you will receive a final statement, and your card(s) will be charged only for the actual amount of your purchases.

And no Disney, RCCl, NCL, Princess does not do this. I do a lot of traveling and have been a Travel Agent for many years. This is just bad business and I will not go on another HAL cruise. I'm ok with pre paying for tours and extras and tipping. I am not ok with pre paying a charge just in case I need it.

Wrong again! I have sailed on Princess and NCL and they also placed a hold (not a charge) on credit cards, as did Cunard.

I have a feeling you won't be sailing on any cruise line, renting any rental cars, staying in any hotels or filling up with gas using a credit card. They all place holds. They just don't tell you about it, HAL did. :rolleyes:

Edited by Boytjie

Before booking our first cruise we read everything and knew about the holds. It sounds like you are already against HAL because of this and hopefully this won't spoil your opinion on your cruise. A lot of their tours and dinner reservations fill up so I think it is only fair that they charge your credit card. Otherwise, everyone would just book them and cancel so people that actually intend to go wouldn't be able to. I also really like pre-paying for the specialty restaurants and tours because it lightens the load of the bill at the end of your cruise since you've already paid for them.

I'm surprised you just found out and if it bothers you so much, which is sounds like it does, perhaps you should cancel with HAL and return to Disney or NCL? I truly would hate for this to taint your experience on HAL.

I have taken several HAL and RCI cruises over the past several years and they all do the same thing, hold the amount before allowing you to board to make certain when the charge goes through at the end of the cruise it will be covered by the credit card company. Gas stations, book stores, department stores, on line retailers all put holds on your card at point of purchase, but the actual charge goes through days later. Unless you drink a lot, gamble a lot, or buy a lot, your actual charge at the end of the cruise will be a fraction of the hold on your card.

It would be nice if they made the hold less for children since they don't run up large bar bills or gambling expenses.

If the credit limit on your card is a problem, I think that cash can be deposited in lieu of a hold.

Have a great cruise:)

I just re-checked my credit card statement from April 2011 when we paid off the cruise at $1223.71. I did the HAL online check in at that time. There is an additional $727.70 charge from HAL on my statement. I was told by our cruise consultant that this would be a hold charge, but it was an actual charge according to our credit care company (who I talked to.) I've already paid the $727.70 to the Credit card co. I will be taking a copy of this statement with us on the cruise in case there is any discrepancies along with the statement with the initial payment. Carnival did this last year too. I'm not too worried because we've already used this up plus some with our shore excursions. I was a bit miffed at first, but it's nice knowing that the charges won't be as high at the end of the cruise because I've paid it down.

I just re-checked my credit card statement from April 2011 when we paid off the cruise at $1223.71. I did the HAL online check in at that time. There is an additional $727.70 charge from HAL on my statement. I was told by our cruise consultant that this would be a hold charge, but it was an actual charge according to our credit care company (who I talked to.) I've already paid the $727.70 to the Credit card co. I will be taking a copy of this statement with us on the cruise in case there is any discrepancies along with the statement with the initial payment. Carnival did this last year too. I'm not too worried because we've already used this up plus some with our shore excursions. I was a bit miffed at first, but it's nice knowing that the charges won't be as high at the end of the cruise because I've paid it down.

Really? I have never seen this happen. Seems kind of strange to me - to be charged before you are on board? I would be tempted to call my cruise consultant now to make sure there are no issues and that perhaps a mistake was not made. JMO though;)

Maybe you need to re-read it.

Wrong again! I have sailed on Princess and NCL and they also placed a hold (not a charge) on credit cards, as did Cunard.

I have a feeling you won't be sailing on any cruise line, renting any rental cars, staying in any hotels or filling up with gas using a credit card. They all place holds. They just don't tell you about it, HAL did. :rolleyes:

definitely agree - we have sailed Princess, NCL & Disney as well (plus a couple of defunct ones) and there were always holds placed on the cards.

Really? I have never seen this happen. Seems kind of strange to me - to be charged before you are on board? I would be tempted to call my cruise consultant now to make sure there are no issues and that perhaps a mistake was not made. JMO though;)

Looks to me like the OP was simply charged for pre-booked shore excursions. A $60 a day hold would never result in an amount of $727.60 no matter what kind of math you use ;)

And no Disney, RCCl, NCL, Princess does not do this.
This is absolutely wrong.

I've done lots of cruises with NCL and Princess, and they both do this. Last November, I was even had to phone Amex while the ship was at sea because of the way Princess was putting holds on my card.

Some of us do not have a credit card for a unlimited amount of money.
If you don't have a credit card with that much credit headroom, then HAL provides an alternative: you can elect to pay in cash.

Also, I don't know whether HAL will do this but on other cruise lines you can then go to the front desk at the end of the cruise, pay the bill with your credit card, and retrieve your cash deposit. Credit card problem solved.

Just sailed with Disney and NCL last year and they didn't do this.
I know Disney puts a hold on credit cards for resort stays. I can NOT imagine they don't also do so for cruises. HAL is up front with this.

Also, as a first time cruiser with HAL you are able to pre-book shore ex when they open up and Pinnacle Grill/Tamarind dinners. Disney won't allow this. First timers on Disney can only do so at about 75-days prior to sailing (IIRC), well after others have had a chance to do so. Now that's a way to make new cruisers feel welcome. :rolleyes:

is for shore excursions, specialty restaurants, flowers and pre ordered beverages. The HOLD is easy to handle if you have a good credit history. Just call your credit card company and request an increase to cover it. Unless you plan to max out your card before you sail, you shouldn't have a problem either.

is for shore excursions, specialty restaurants, flowers and pre ordered beverages. The HOLD is easy to handle if you have a good credit history. Just call your credit card company and request an increase to cover it. Unless you plan to max out your card before you sail, you shouldn't have a problem either.

We have never had an issue with the $60 per day hold. We were on a 10 day cruise last year with 5 of us. That would be a $3000 hold, and we had no problems. Our total bill at the end of the cruise was much less and that final bill was the only amount that was actually every charged. ($11 per day per person for automatic tip and also any drinks, shore excursions, etc we purchased).

Diane

$727.70 cannot possible be the amount of a hold since holds are in multiples of $60 (or $30 for longer cruises). You were charged for something - port taxes, dinners, spa services, shore excursions or other onboard orders.

Edited by Boytjie

OK - this is going to sound very naive and dumb --- does this credit card

precharge or "hold" mean the same thing as "registering" your credit card

during online check-in ? We have always paid off our cruises PRIOR to departure with our cc so we are starting our vacation with a "clean

slate" (which included shore excurions booked in advance of sailing).

We then feel at ease that whatever else we spend (tips, shopping, drinks) --- there will be plenty of funds available on our registered

cc when we depart. I have to admit that I have never seen this

"advanced hold ($$$)" on my cc bill PRIOR to departure.