Holland American pre charges.

MTVL

We found the heat/humidity too much for us on Statendam canal cruise last fall. We cancelled a couple of excursions, didn't replace them with others and were reimbursed at 90%. The 10% doesn't usually amount to much so that was fine.

As I said in an earlier post, we've been able to switch excursions without the 10% deduction. Our switches have been to excursions of the same or greater cost, so it might be different if we'd switched to less expensive ones.

We have sailed on Carnival, Celebrity, Cunard, NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean and HAL. HAL is the only line to post these holds. I have stayed in many hotels and never had a hold posed to my card. If this is there policy so be it, if you want their itinerary you have to put up with it but I feel it is stealing my credit. At most hold the amount I have spent for the day. I guess they are afraid some of their guests will not make it till the end of the trip and do not want to get involved in probate court.

We have sailed on Carnival, Celebrity, Cunard, NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean and HAL. HAL is the only line to post these holds.

That has not been my experience on Princess, Cunard and NCL.

I have stayed in many hotels and never had a hold posed to my card.

Maybe you were just unaware of the hold?

If this is there policy so be it, if you want their itinerary you have to put up with it but I feel it is stealing my credit.

Whoa, that's a strong accusation! HAL has not take anything that belongs to you. Do you actually own anything in a credit limit? It is what the credit card company is willing to lend you.

It wasn't until I had online access to my checking acct. and credit card that I realized how many holds there are. Those posters who claim to have never had holds from a cruise line or hotel just aren't aware of it. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that you may know unless you check your accts. daily or every few days.

Roz

We have sailed on Carnival, Celebrity, Cunard, NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean and HAL. HAL is the only line to post these holds.
Absolutely untrue: See all the experience of people like myself who know that we have had credit held by other cruise lines - in my case, positively talked to the credit card company about it.
I have stayed in many hotels and never had a hold posed to my card.
Why do you think they swipe your credit card when you check-in? They are taking your details to hold some of your credit.
If this is there policy so be it, if you want their itinerary you have to put up with it but I feel it is stealing my credit.
So you'll just have to choose which cruise line you'd like to have "stealing" your credit.

Or, of course, choose to neither cruise nor travel in any other way.

It wasn't until I had online access to my checking acct. and credit card that I realized how many holds there are. Those posters who claim to have never had holds from a cruise line or hotel just aren't aware of it. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes that you may know unless you check your accts. daily or every few days.

Roz

I didn't realize gas station did a hold until my son told me. That surprised me! I think a lot of people don't realize about the holds maybe because they have high limits on their credit cards so they aren't aware because it's never declined? Just a thought...

MTVL,

I do not not to re-read anything, thank you. I can't believe that you say you travel a lot and have never seen holds on your credit card. I'm sorry, you are absolutely wrong, other cruise lines, as well as hotels and restaurants, not to mention gas stations do this.

I'm sorry I tried to help you understand the process. Hope you have a miserable time on your cruise ruminating on the $60 hold.

Roz

It may also depend upon the credit card. We have completed over 75 cruises and I have not "seen" the "holds" on my my credit card for ship's nor hotel's accomodations. I've always known they were there but they have not physically shown on my "on-line" nor "paper" statements.

I, too, find it strange that someone who has travelled extensively and has been a travel agent for many years finds the issue of "CC holds" surprising.

Ray in NH

But that's not fair!!!!!!:mad: Because I read somewhere on CC that there's no penalty!!!!! :mad: (My next version of this story will be that someone somewhere (I'm looking at you, Kazu!) once said they weren't charged so I shouldn't be charged!!!!!:mad: Because, every single little thing on all 15 ships should be EXACTLY the same, including the number and size of the olives in a martini!!!!!:mad: (Excluding any slight or significant variation from the norm which, in my personal view, benefits me, of course! ;))

I exceeded the limit for smilies, so I have to stop now. ;( :-) ;-) except to second Sapper1's observation:

Rage against The Man? (In this case, Mickey Arison, I guess.)

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to check the website and post the correct information, camp637!

Very good rant!! It ranks right up there with the best. Bravo.:D

It may also depend upon the credit card. We have completed over 75 cruises and I have not "seen" the "holds" on my my credit card for ship's nor hotel's accomodations. I've always known they were there but they have not physically shown on my "on-line" nor "paper" statements.

I, too, find it strange that someone who has travelled extensively and has been a travel agent for many years finds the issue of "CC holds" surprising.

Ray in NH

I have also checked our CC accounts online while travelling and there is never any indication that a hold is in place. Nevertheless, I am well aware that they are there and can appreciate the need for them.

Cruise fares would be much higher if the company had to build the "deadbeat" factor into their pricing. I would much sooner endure a hold that has absolutely no impact on my life than to pay for increased fares.

Ray in NH

every company places a hold - it's easy to see if they show you your 'available credit'. ie, your cc limit is $30,000 - your balance is $1,000 and your holds are $1000 (purchases not yet processed, holds, etc.). You will see your balance as $1,000 and your available credit as $28,000. It does lessen the available credit but has mininal impact on the majority of us.;) so we don't notice:D

I too find it strange that that the cc holds are surprising to an experienced travel agent - but this may be why. A lot of people don't realize it happens. HAL posts notice which brings it to light to a lot of people. They don't do anything any other cruise line does not;)

every company places a hold - it's easy to see if they show you your 'available credit'. ie, your cc limit is $30,000 - your balance is $1,000 and your holds are $1000 (purchases not yet processed, holds, etc.). You will see your balance as $1,000 and your available credit as $28,000. It does lessen the available credit but has mininal impact on the majority of us.;) so we don't notice:D

I too find it strange that that the cc holds are surprising to an experienced travel agent - but this may be why. A lot of people don't realize it happens. HAL posts notice which brings it to light to a lot of people. They don't do anything any other cruise line does not;)

I never thought of checking it that way but it makes sense. I must look next time. I was just looking for some sort of notice.

Edited by sapper1

I never thought of checking it that way but it makes sense. I must look next time. I was just looking for some sort of notice.

there's never any notice about the holds from the cc company;) unless they decline a purchase because you have no authorized credit room left:p

Most people never notice as it has no effect on them. it's the banker in me coming out;)

definitely agree - we have sailed Princess, NCL & Disney as well (plus a couple of defunct ones) and there were always holds placed on the cards.

Disney does not place a hold on credit cards. Instead, they process cards throughout the cruise as soon as the cardholder reaches a certain spending level.

Disney does not place a hold on credit cards. Instead, they process cards throughout the cruise as soon as the cardholder reaches a certain spending level.

they might charge throughout the cruise, but I would bet dollars to donuts that there are holds in place until those charges are processed. It's automatic. And as soon as a charge is placed, there is a hold until it is processed. it's part of the system. they just don't tell you as the hold is an inconsequential amount:D

all hotels, tours, any booking of any sort will automatically place a hold of some amount on your card for their protection - otherwise if you have no room, they can't collect;)

they might charge throughout the cruise, but I would bet dollars to donuts that there are holds in place until those charges are processed. It's automatic. And as soon as a charge is placed, there is a hold until it is processed. it's part of the system. they just don't tell you as the hold is an inconsequential amount:D

all hotels, tours, any booking of any sort will automatically place a hold of some amount on your card for their protection - otherwise if you have no room, they can't collect;)

I just got off the Magic less than 3 weeks ago, and I assure you my information is correct. If you frequent the DisBoards, you'll find plenty of anecdotes to corroborate my assertion. In fact, recent postings indicate that you can tell them you'll pay cash for your account and not even have to put down a deposit. Disney will extend a bit of a credit line before they will cut you off. Remember that they don't charge automatic gratuities, so theoretically you could cruise without having any charges on your account.

I'm not endorsing the idea of not using a hold, just reporting it.

I just got off the Magic less than 3 weeks ago, and I assure you my information is correct. If you frequent the DisBoards, you'll find plenty of anecdotes to corroborate my assertion. In fact, recent postings indicate that you can tell them you'll pay cash for your account and not even have to put down a deposit. Disney will extend a bit of a credit line before they will cut you off. Remember that they don't charge automatic gratuities, so theoretically you could cruise without having any charges on your account.

I'm not endorsing the idea of not using a hold, just reporting it.

ok, then, no argument from me. It's very unusual that's for sure;)

I am amazed they don't have some type of protection in place for themselves but they obviously know what they are doing:)

• 4 years later...

Well actually HAL doesn't just place a preauthorisation for $60 per person per day.... If it looks like you will exceed this amount they can place multiple pre authorisations if they want. I am currently on the Eurodam for a 14 day cruise and had $1680 placed on my CC for myself and my wife but additionally we also booked all our shore excursions for this cruise on the first day and low and behold HAL's "system" added another preauthorisation for an addition $1000. Thereby essentially maxing out my CC so we are unable to pay for our hotels when we disembark as it takes 5 to 7 days for the pre authorisation to come off. When questioned about this they told me it was standard practice. I told them I agreed to the $60 per day per person but not the additional. They then told me they would request a cancellation of this, but as they would then not have any security deposit over us they would be blocking our shipboard account. Now after 8 days on board they have released the $2680, and I have given them my CC for the $1680 as agreed at check in. Thanks HAL for blocking my shipboard account so that my birthday celebration yesterday was ruined.

We have sailed on Carnival, Celebrity, Cunard, NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean and HAL. HAL is the only line to post these holds. I have stayed in many hotels and never had a hold posed to my card. If this is there policy so be it, if you want their itinerary you have to put up with it but I feel it is stealing my credit. At most hold the amount I have spent for the day. I guess they are afraid some of their guests will not make it till the end of the trip and do not want to get involved in probate court.

This is from the FAQ on the NCL website.

When your credit card is entered to activate your on-board account, an initial approval is obtained from the bank. Please be advised that throughout the voyage, incremental holds will be obtained by your lending institution based on your on-board expenditures. Some banks may hold these for 30 days, even though your expenditures are already debited. This will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card. Authorization-hold releases are solely within the discretion of your lending institution.

Unless you check your credit card transactions online you will not see these holds.

You have obviously never stayed in a Hilton, Hyatt, Westin, Intercontinental hotel in all of your travels. They all do it. What do you think they swipe your card for when you check in?