IPad or netbook

ro

on our last cruise, in March, on Sapphire I took my IPad instead of the (PC) laptop I generally bring. I loved the fact that it was so light, but connectivity seemed random, at best, and the staffer in the computer room kept insisting that it was the IPad's fault. I'm considering buying a netbook for traveling (nice and light) and wondered if anyone has any input about either.

on our last cruise, in March, on Sapphire I took my IPad instead of the (PC) laptop I generally bring. I loved the fact that it was so light, but connectivity seemed random, at best, and the staffer in the computer room kept insisting that it was the IPad's fault. I'm considering buying a netbook for traveling (nice and light) and wondered if anyone has any input about either.

I don't own an Ipad, but I've been cruising with my Asus netbook for two years. It has served me well.

I've taken my iPad on three cruises, Princess and HAL, in a variety of cabin decks and locations. Connectivity has been so bad I've given up and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab. I'm selling my iPad as I'd originally bought it planning to use it when on a cruise. I'd connect to the ship's WiFi, log in, go to a website and as the page was loading, the WiFi signal would be lost. Happened about 90% of the time. The only time it kept the WiFi was if I woke up in the middle of the night and tried it. My iPhone is a bit better and I wound up using it instead of my iPad on my cruises. A friend with a netbook in the next cabin had absolutely no problems.

BruceMuzz, a regular poster here on the boards and very knowledgeable about cruise ship operations, posted that it's an Apple problem with the antenna. It's not strong enough to hold the signal. Based on my experience, I believe him. I'd bring a netbook or get another tablet.

I bought a Motorola Xoom a month ago and I love it but as I have 2 more months to bring it back with no questions asked I am seriously considering an ipad2. One minutes it's yes and the next it's no. I am looking on ebay now to see what I could reasonably expect to pay for a used one.

BruceMuzz, a regular poster here on the boards and very knowledgeable about cruise ship operations, posted that it's an Apple problem with the antenna. It's not strong enough to hold the signal. Based on my experience, I believe him. I'd bring a netbook or get another tablet.

My MacBook Pro and iPad got the same signal strength on the Sapphire in various locations as I used both. I use my iPad everywhere where I work and never have a signal issue.

There were some issues initially when they first came out with certain networks. We didn't have a problem where I worked. I wonder if Princess is now loaning out iPads if the issues have been resolved (either with Apple or with their network). The issue that I used to see on the computer boards all the time about iPads with network issues I no longer see. Not sure if it is network software updates, Apple updates or a combination of both.

My MacBook Pro and iPad got the same signal strength on the Sapphire in various locations as I used both. I use my iPad everywhere where I work and never have a signal issue.

There were some issues initially when they first came out with certain networks. We didn't have a problem where I worked. I wonder if Princess is now loaning out iPads if the issues have been resolved (either with Apple or with their network). The issue that I used to see on the computer boards all the time about iPads with network issues I no longer see. Not sure if it is network software updates, Apple updates or a combination of both.

I'm jealous. The last time I tried it was on HAL in April. Same result. Before I left on each cruise, I made sure I had the most recent software update. I would re-boot it, and tried everything. Nothing worked reliably. :( I have one of the very first iPads (I ordered it the first day it was available) and perhaps Apple has quietly improved the antenna on later production.

Not a techie and haven't been on Princess in a few years, so bear with me:

--If you can get the IPad wireless connection on Princess (will be on Sapphire in September), do you have to pay for it?

--If the wireless doesn't work can use pick up the 3G network (if you have it)?

Thanks

I have a Toshiba NB205 netbook and love it. Take it just about everywhere I go though I will be leaving it home on my upcoming cruise. I don't not want to pay for the internet and don't want my husband checking his work email.

I'm jealous. The last time I tried it was on HAL in April. Same result. Before I left on each cruise, I made sure I had the most recent software update. I would re-boot it, and tried everything. Nothing worked reliably. :( I have one of the very first iPads (I ordered it the first day it was available) and perhaps Apple has quietly improved the antenna on later production.

My iPad is one of the first also.

That is why I am wondering if there was some network firmware/software updates as well on network hardware. Considering HAL and Princess use the same system???

I know there were wide spread initial reports of problems though we looked extensively at our network and didn't have any but others experienced it. Since then, I don't read about it in tech journals anymore so I am not sure what changed.

I am curious on what ships they are loaning them out on and if so, if they are still having problems. I am guessing if they were, they wouldn't be loaning them out......

I brought both on my last cruises and used them both quite a bit. I have the same cabin on my next cruise (same ship) and debating if I should bring both as I am not a fan of long emails on the ipad but you can't beat the size factor. I have until Sept to ponder it.

Not a techie and haven't been on Princess in a few years, so bear with me:

--If you can get the IPad wireless connection on Princess (will be on Sapphire in September), do you have to pay for it?

--If the wireless doesn't work can use pick up the 3G network (if you have it)?

Thanks

Yes you will pay for wireless (wifi). You can pay per minute or buy a package (packages are cheaper).

Yes you will pay for 3G (in addition to what you normally pay) when the ship is sailing. Not sure what the going minute is but it is probably $2-$3/minute for a Verizon charge (or similar carrier).

On my transatlantic on the Crown in May, I had my IPad2 and my MacBook Pro and didn't really have too many problems with either. My cabin, which was forward on Baja deck was not brilliant with the WIFi, but certainly in the coffee area near near the Internet Cafe, no problem at all. I also have an Acer netbook but didn't bother to take it on this cruise.

We had our Acer netbook with us on our recent Royal TA and kept lending it

to our friends two cabins from us as they could not get their ipods (or whatever they were) to hold a signal. They had two different types (sorry but I know nothing about these things) and neither would perform.

DW purchased an antenna for our Acer about a year or so ago and it works wonders ---

picking up the ship wifi no matter where we are and even picks up free wifi

in many of the ports we have been too.

Thanks so much for the input from everyone; I appreciate it.

Since I apparently am way more wishy-washy than I thought and there seemed to be positive reasons for both, I just went online and bought a Toshiba 405 netbook (I clearly have no control;)) and I might just bring both on the next trip. I mean, you can't play Angry Birds on a netbook, right....

By the way, I had the same experience as Pam in Ca, with random connectivity, the connection cutting out, again randomly, etc. So, I'm thinking the netbook should work out well.

Thanks again, everyone

rosalie

Connectivity has been so bad I've given up and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Have you used your Galaxy onboard yet? I am considering a purchase and am interested in how it will work on the ship. I've been going back and forth between a netbook and a tablet. I think the tablet will be better for me overall and the Galaxy is the one I have been most seriously considering.

Have you used your Galaxy onboard yet? I am considering a purchase and am interested in how it will work on the ship. I've been going back and forth between a netbook and a tablet. I think the tablet will be better for me overall and the Galaxy is the one I have been most seriously considering.
The simple answer is, "No." I brought it on my Celebrity cruise a couple of weeks ago but there was no WiFi on the ship other than a few hot spots on Lido deck, so I didn't buy a package. Actually, I did go to the Internet Cafe and sign up but when I discovered there was no WiFi, I had them reverse the charge. So far, I'm liking the Galaxy for a couple of reasons. It's smaller than the iPad and can open websites, such as Princess.com, that use Flash.

The simple answer is, "No." I brought it on my Celebrity cruise a couple of weeks ago but there was no WiFi on the ship other than a few hot spots on Lido deck, so I didn't buy a package. Actually, I did go to the Internet Cafe and sign up but when I discovered there was no WiFi, I had them reverse the charge. So far, I'm liking the Galaxy for a couple of reasons. It's smaller than the iPad and can open websites, such as Princess.com, that use Flash.

Princess has changed their search area. Works fine on the IPad now.

Have used both but prefer my netbook (HP Mini) for the simple reason that I can open up a Notepad, type my generic 'here's what we did, wish you were here' email and then, once connected to the internet, just copy and paste the Notepad email into my 'compose email'.

I can add individual comments etc to personalize it but it saves on the internet time use so you get more use of your minutes. Plus the netbook, to me, is way easier to type with than an iPad plus love my mouse! :eek:

Have used both but prefer my netbook (HP Mini) for the simple reason that I can open up a Notepad, type my generic 'here's what we did, wish you were here' email and then, once connected to the internet, just copy and paste the Notepad email into my 'compose email'.

I can add individual comments etc to personalize it but it saves on the internet time use so you get more use of your minutes. Plus the netbook, to me, is way easier to type with than an iPad plus love my mouse! :eek:

Not sure I understand. Even with my iPhone or iPad, I can write an email offline and go online just to send and download new mail. It takes about 2-3 minutes max. Plus, you can write notes or keep a journal to send later with free or inexpensive apps. I can do the same thing on a netbook.

I took both my I-Pad and my dell Laptop on our Hawaiian cruise (Golden). My I-Pad worked like crap in always dropping a signal unless I was sitting inside or right outside the internet cafe. No problems in virtually all areas of the ship with my four year old laptop.....

Bob

First I must state that I love using my IPad and it is used at home without problems about 8 hrs per day. However last October I brought both the IPad and a Toshiba netbook for 20 days on the Coral. The IPad was hardly usable as it either dropped connections or indicated it was connected but could not surf. The Toshiba netbook was flawless in the same locations on the ship. Often I would test with the IPad, have problems and then turn it off and use the netbook immediately at the same physical location. I am a technical person (computer engineer with 30+ years experience) and I can attest that there are definitely compatibility problems with the IPad. Incidentally I previously used an ITouch which worked very well without connection problems on several cruises.

Archived