Trying to justify....and thinking out loud

BadJelly

Hi

I've done two cruises, and have one booked for this year. Because, as you do, I was looking on the Carnival site I came across the cruise I really want, actually make that need to do in 2012. The Spirit Honolulu to Sydney.

OK, this is where I'm trying to justify things. The first two cruises were with a friend who lives in the US, the first one I took her along on a post wedding cruise, because I was sure I'd hate it, and I knew she would as well, and I didn't want to suffer alone. Ha! On the second day we were talking about booking the second cruise. This year my husband is travelling with me, it's going to be his first cruise. I'm sure he's going to love it, but he's in a wheelchair, and so there is that little uncertainty of how easy it is going to be. The first two cruises we had balcony's, this year due to needing a handicap room we have had to get an inside - but it's the way cool inside at the front by the "secret deck". Next year is my year to "travel alone". I love it, and crave it every second year.

Now, I can book an inside at the cheapest rate, or a balcony at an extra $1,200. Which over the 17 days works out to an extra $70 odd per day. I use the balcony a lot, but I'm not sure I can justify that. But I would also only be paying for one flight rather than return, which for arguments sake, let's say that is the $1,200. On the other hand $1,200 is a lot of DOD's :p

I'm also thinking about booking ES for the first time..... What would you do, re both the cabin and ES????

Well, I'd love to be in your shoes. :) To be completely honest, I don't think I could handle an inside for that many days. Eventually you are going to get tired of being with other people and want some privacy and with a balcony, you get the privacy (hopefully you have good neighbors) and the ocean view. I can handle an inside for 5 days, but after that I think it would feel claustrophobic.

Thank you MrsZee....that's what I was thinking as well. And with so many sea days, and at that time of the year in the South Pacific, it's likely to be windy, I'm sure a balcony will be more sheltered

If the money is not out of line for your household budget, then I would do it. This isn't a cruise to Nassau you are talking about, but rather the trip of a lifetime! Not a time to worry about the best value.

Im happy with a inside and if I want to see the ocean, I wander to promenade or lido to watch the ocean and people. I dont find it fun sitting on a balcony by myself.

I am doing a balcony next time, but its Oasis which I hear is more inwardly focused, so I sprang for a balcony. My roomie says not necessary, so I paid for it. but to be honest, I usually dont care.

Im happy with a inside and if I want to see the ocean, I wander to promenade or lido to watch the ocean and people. I dont find it fun sitting on a balcony by myself.

I am doing a balcony next time, but its Oasis which I hear is more inwardly focused, so I sprang for a balcony. My roomie says not necessary, so I paid for it. but to be honest, I usually dont care.

Fire, I agree with you 100%......we always book insides because we just don't use a balcony that much since we're almost never in our cabin....

I like to be out and around people and I like the comfort of sitting along the Promenade and watching the ocean, but still being inside.

If I had the extra $1200 to spend, it would be to upgrade my flight home or take some extra excursions.

I did a 14-day transatlantic, England to Boston, last fall.

We had a balcony - my roomie insisted on it for this trip (we've done insides in the past).

Thinking back - it was nice to open the curtains each morning and check out the weather and the sea. It was nice to stand out on the balcony in our jammies as we came into port, and twice we sat there and had a late lunch after coming back from shore excursions (and watched the people coming back late LOL).

But if I had it to do over again, I'm not sure I'd spend the extra money for the balcony. $70/day can buy a lot of drinks and shore excursions, or, as a previous poster mentioned, possibly a flight upgrade. That long overseas flight was BRUTAL!

Fire, I agree with you 100%......we always book insides because we just don't use a balcony that much since we're almost never in our cabin....

I like to be out and around people and I like the comfort of sitting along the Promenade and watching the ocean, but still being inside.

If I had the extra $1200 to spend, it would be to upgrade my flight home or take some extra excursions.

okgirl, I politely disagree with you 100%. We use our balcony so much on cruises. It is such a wonderful feeling to open the balcony door and walk out, in my pj's, to watch the sea go by, or to eat breakfast with DH, or to just read a book in peace and quiet.

I would definitely not spend $1200 on a flight that takes a few hours, but I would for such a long cruise.

Hi

I've done two cruises, and have one booked for this year. Because, as you do, I was looking on the Carnival site I came across the cruise I really want, actually make that need to do in 2012. The Spirit Honolulu to Sydney.

OK, this is where I'm trying to justify things. The first two cruises were with a friend who lives in the US, the first one I took her along on a post wedding cruise, because I was sure I'd hate it, and I knew she would as well, and I didn't want to suffer alone. Ha! On the second day we were talking about booking the second cruise. This year my husband is travelling with me, it's going to be his first cruise. I'm sure he's going to love it, but he's in a wheelchair, and so there is that little uncertainty of how easy it is going to be. The first two cruises we had balcony's, this year due to needing a handicap room we have had to get an inside - but it's the way cool inside at the front by the "secret deck". Next year is my year to "travel alone". I love it, and crave it every second year.

Now, I can book an inside at the cheapest rate, or a balcony at an extra $1,200. Which over the 17 days works out to an extra $70 odd per day. I use the balcony a lot, but I'm not sure I can justify that. But I would also only be paying for one flight rather than return, which for arguments sake, let's say that is the $1,200. On the other hand $1,200 is a lot of DOD's :p

I'm also thinking about booking ES for the first time..... What would you do, re both the cabin and ES????

BadJelly, if it was me booking this cruise, I would go for the balcony. You have to ask yourself if you could be happy sleeping in an inside cabin for 17 days. If it was a seven day cruise, no problem, but 17 days is a long time.

As to ES, I was told by my PVP that I could book under Past Guest for now, and as long as there is no reason to cancel, I could switch to ES five months before sail date and receive the lower rates. That is an option since the cruise is far off.

It's a tough decision. Good luck.

So, it's the Carnival Spirit? Have you checked out the interior with French doors, on the main level. Yes you have a blocked view, but you can open the door, get fresh air, and have a window but pay less than a balcony or an ociean view. Just an idea...

By yourself, on a cruise for 17 days, not many "shore excursion" go for the balcony if money is no object. I still think the main level interior with french doors would satisfy you, but if not-go for it.

Personally, I couldn't cruise that many days in an inside cabin. For us, the balcony adds immense value to our cruise. We have been able to do 3-4 day cruises inside, no problem. Anything longer -- balcony.

Either way you're going to have an amazing time.

My vote is for the Balcony Ive cruised alot by myself and when I had sea days it was nice to relax on the balcony in my own little piece of paradise.

Thank you everyone.

I'm 90% decided to do the balcony. Will make that decision after the November cruise and having the handicap inside and seeing how I feel after that. Over the past two cruises though I have used the balcony a lot. And you know, if I wasn't travelling alone it wouldn't even cross my mind to not have a balcony, so I've decided to be as nice to myself as I would to a friend :p

The flight from Australia to LA is brutal! To add to that woe it always arrives in LA at approx 0600, so that just adds to the misery. Then you end up spending boring hours at LAX because you're too scared to book an onwards flight too soon in case of delays or customs/immigration issues. My son lives in Arizona so I'm travelling over once a year to see him (well, he thinks that, he doesn't realise how addicted I've become to cruising).

On a side note, do you realise how lucky you are in the US to have such fantastic cruise rates? I am currently paying the same amount for a premium economy flight as I was for an economy flight 7 years ago. It is cheaper from here to take an economy flight to the US and cruise there than it is to cruise here most of the time. There are specials being advertised at the moment for a 7 night cruise for $999 per person. Then the small print tells you that is in an inside cabin, share quad!!! Yep, nearly $4,000.00, before taxes for an inside cabin for 7 nights.

Hi

You ddn't specify your cabin number, but it sounds like the one I have booked. Its technically an inside, but it's actually an outside with an obstructed view (4J). My particular room is 6206 on the Liberty (but I will be moved if a someone needs a HC room), and it has a window overlooking a semi-private deck. I believe their are stairs to the deck from the hallway so that would be an issue if your husband would prefer being able to enjoy a balcony. If he has no preference, I would stick with this room!

Google your ship and room number, sometimes there are pictures on different sites.

Go for a porthole or Ocean View! Seriously that is still a LOT of cash and I'm with the others who have flown to and from Sydney from San Francisco and it was brutal.....and we got up graded to Business Class! Spring for the better seats on the plane with that money.

You will find that the window/light is a must, but you can go on any outside deck and get your fresh air. Transatlantics/transpacifics are a whole different kettle of fish and you might find the 'vibe' of the ship to be way more relaxed and 'quiet' than on the Carribbean or shorter cruises. In that case it might be just as enjoyable to sit on the public decks and enjoy that for free instead of the $1,200 private balcony. I say this because many years ago I sailed from San Francisco to Suva City, Fiji and that was quite long and we didn't have a balcony (that ship didn't have any at all) but we spent most of our time outside on deck, we were fortunate to have windows that would open to get a breeze but then without A/C that was a neccessity. :D

Just my opinions and ymmv.

That would be an easy one for me.

12 hour flight (upgraded) or 17 day cruise (balcony). No comparison.

Balcony. Hands down. Booked using ES if you're comfortable with that or book Past Guest and switch to ES later.

Good luck!! :)

BALCONY! It will be worth it, especially on such a long cruise.

We traveled with my brother-in-law 3 years ago who was in a wheel chair. We had no problems. We were on the Ecstasy and it was very easy to get him everywhere (except the Minature Golf, where we carried him up...determine to play :)). Enjoy !

I'd go with the balcony, I enjoy it so many times each day. I was fine without one until taking 3 cruises with - and what so many say I've found to be true. Once you have a balcony it's tough to cruise without one. My last cruise I had a nice time but it really was not the same to have a window but not be able to walk right out & breathe the fresh air. I even like to step out in my jammies & peek at the water & sky at night, when it's quiet & all you can hear is the water wooshing by.

I don't book ES because of the cancellation policy. I just watch like a hawk for price drops. There is likely to be price drops before final payment, especially on a longer & more expensive cruise. So you may end up having to pay less than you anticipate.

Well, I'd love to be in your shoes. :) To be completely honest, I don't think I could handle an inside for that many days. Eventually you are going to get tired of being with other people and want some privacy and with a balcony, you get the privacy (hopefully you have good neighbors) and the ocean view. I can handle an inside for 5 days, but after that I think it would feel claustrophobic.

We feel exactly the same as you. Actually, 5 days in an inside is tough. Love the balcony for relaxation and privacy. We have never had a bad neighbor.:D

Archived