Grand princess a dump?

shofer

Myself and a long time friend who has never cruised before just booked the Grand for a 7-day Caribbean leaveing on 1/28/12. I was on this ship in 2008 and thought it was nice. No complaints about the ship or service.

I was just reading some reviews on this site from last month AFTER the ship had left drydock and was appalled by all the negative comments on how dirty the cabins were and the problems with the plumbing. We got a very good price on this voyage and I am wondering if we made a mistake.

Has anyone recently returned from the Grand and is it looking as bad as they say? We still have lots of time to look for a bargain somewhere else.

Thanks for any and all your input. I have found this board and its members to be a wonderful source of information.

Looking at those negative reviews it should be apparent what the problem was. I think Princess owes some of if not all those passengers an apology.

That being said look at the rest of the reviews and if you still feel the same way, don't go.

Got back from Norway on the Grand on June 4th. The ship sparkled, service was top notch and of the 24 cruises we have done, this was easily the best. Probably the only negative experience was the new tea-bar Leaves (aaaargh!) but we can't believe that it will still be there in its present form by the time you go!

Don't have a moment's regret - you'll have a great time!

Ibrasu

Got back from Norway on the Grand on June 4th. The ship sparkled, service was top notch and of the 24 cruises we have done, this was easily the best. Probably the only negative experience was the new tea-bar Leaves (aaaargh!) but we can't believe that it will still be there in its present form by the time you go!

Thanks. It looks like your cruise was more recent than the ones on the review board. Did you notice if the cabins were redecorated? Any flat screens or new linens, mattresses?

As has been said, it was pretty clear what the issues were on the first cruise post-drydock and that they weren't ongoing issues. You'll find videos of the multi-million dollar renovation at http://www.princess.com/granddrydock/index.html. I believe most, if not all, Princess ships now have flatscreen TVs. Bedding is continually maintained and mattresses/linens replaced as needed.

Thanks. It looks like your cruise was more recent than the ones on the review board. Did you notice if the cabins were redecorated? Any flat screens or new linens, mattresses?

We were those that were on the TA post drydock and even if some of the inconveniences, still had a great cruise. No, cabins were not redecorated and since I like the beds, would not even notice the mattresses. TV's have flat screens.

The cabin we were in looked good..... we'd had the same one the year before (saves learning a new number!) and it had clearly had one or more deep cleans since then although it hadn't been redecorated.

Like Pia, we like the beds so that was ok and the linens were all very fresh ... particularly now the quilts have been replaced by decorative runner things (which probably have a name but we don't know it!) In fact the only thing that was different was that the balcony floor was bereft of the usual blue plastic matting ..... we didn't miss it!

As folks have said, the TVs are indeed flat screen.

Ibrasu

One thing that always seems to happen when there is any problem with a ship is that those that were not happy with what they found come back and write horrible reviews of their trip (justified, probably), but all on the same sailing. This can happen many times right before a ship goes into drydock or has just come out without the work compeleted. Those that sailed afterwards and didn't find the same problems onboard, usually write very few reviews (remember, this is Cruise CRITIC). ;) I would bypass those reviews written of the first sailing after drydock and go to later ones written (if you can find any) after the work had been completed for a more up to date review of the condition of the ship. Enjoy!

The cabin we were in looked good..... we'd had the same one the year before (saves learning a new number!) and it had clearly had one or more deep cleans since then although it hadn't been redecorated.

Like Pia, we like the beds so that was ok and the linens were all very fresh ... particularly now the quilts have been replaced by decorative runner things (which probably have a name but we don't know it!) In fact the only thing that was different was that the balcony floor was bereft of the usual blue plastic matting ..... we didn't miss it!

As folks have said, the TVs are indeed flat screen.

Ibrasu

Thanks for responding. Glad to hear the cabin was clean. We were very happy w/our BB cabin in 2008 but did not like the duvet. We could not get the air conditioning to get very cold so that heavy comforter was not optimum. Are they using bedspreads or just top sheets on the beds? I know what you mean by the shawl thing. That seems to be all the rage in the hotels.

One thing that always seems to happen when there is any problem with a ship is that those that were not happy with what they found come back and write horrible reviews of their trip (justified, probably), but all on the same sailing. This can happen many times right before a ship goes into drydock or has just come out without the work compeleted. Those that sailed afterwards and didn't find the same problems onboard, usually write very few reviews (remember, this is Cruise CRITIC). ;) I would bypass those reviews written of the first sailing after drydock and go to later ones written (if you can find any) after the work had been completed for a more up to date review of the condition of the ship. Enjoy!

I have found many positive reviews on this board and I know to take the very negative w/a grain of salt. I just had not seen any up-to-date reviews just yet. I will be watching for them. LOL! This will actually be my 3rd cruise w/Princess. I just wanted my friend's first experience to be a good one.

Thanks for responding. Glad to hear the cabin was clean. We were very happy w/our BB cabin in 2008 but did not like the duvet. We could not get the air conditioning to get very cold so that heavy comforter was not optimum. Are they using bedspreads or just top sheets on the beds? I know what you mean by the shawl thing. That seems to be all the rage in the hotels.

That shawl thing gets buried immediately on the first day. I tell my steward to make it disappear, just like I did when they use the spreads. They do not use top sheets, so also when I meet my steward I request that he make the bed up each night using a top sheet. I get hot; hubby gets cold. Duvet works fine sometimes; sometimes too warm. Having the top sheet works well under all circumstances.

I totally agree Toto! You just cant please everyone. If you go in with a negative attitude, you'll get a negative experience. We were on the 14d 2nd to last cruise before dry dock in March. Yes, cushions needed replacement, mid elevator slow, ongoing work, etc, but overall the crew, Captain, ship cond, food, was wonderful. Probably one of the best cruise experience out of the 8 taken! Dont worry about the little things and enjoy your cruise.

Are your thoughts based on pre or post recent major drydock? :rolleyes:

We spent 14 days in Jan. & 16 days on the TransAtlantic in the same cabin ,D727.After the first cruise we wrote to Princess and sent pictures of the Issues with our cabin such as a badly stained tub & toilet,carpet pulled up against the walls, part of the balcony divider that had rusted away and was being held together by a piece of rotting wood and filthy furniture and peeling paint.They called and assured us that since our pictures were so graphic,the issues would be resolved.They did nothing other than replace the tub!Why spend $90M on the public areas and not finish the job and fix the major cabin issues?After 32 cruises on Princess we are planning on giving their competition a try.

Thank you for your insightful review.

Kinda brief, though.:rolleyes:

What I wrote was not a review,it was a synopsis of the issues regarding our cabin!I will post some pictures later today so everyone can understand what I mean.

Back this morning from a lovely cruise on the Grand. Too tired to do full review, check back on the review page in a couple of days. Just to put your mind at rest, the piazza area where they spent most of the money is a huge improvement. The cabins do not seem to have been updated, balcony still a bit rusty although they have tried to paint over it. We live by the sea and rust and sea unfortunately go together so did not bother us. The balcony furniture needs replacing, again painted over.

Our biggest criticism was the very very poor daytime entertainment on sea days, most people we spoke to came to the same conclusion. The other thing was again with entertainment as we were on first sitting traditional and we missed out on so many things because we were either eating or getting ready to go down to the restaurant. All the cocktail parties including the Captains one are held around 7pm and we did not get out of the restaurant until about 7.45 at the earliest. The ballroom dancing was also at this time along with the piazza entertainment.

Food was good as usual although they close the Horizon buffet now at 11pm. You can still get food if you really need to at the International Cafe.

Too tired to write more now.

What I wrote was not a review,it was a synopsis of the issues regarding our cabin!I will post some pictures later today so everyone can understand what I mean.

Here are a few pictures from the balcony in Jan. and nothing was different in May!

1434572769_balconydivider.jpg.1eaad259b73373df3a53b3f07c91f19f.jpg

1333201584_Balconydoor.jpg.fc3af32984994d0f02841d22b86fa591.jpg

507222755_GrandPrincessJan.2011002.jpg.77e78f9100629e5c1aecedd24c905ccd.jpg

Here are a few pictures from the balcony in Jan. and nothing was different in May!

Outside rust issues are everywhere; on every ship. Show me inside problems. You know I was on the same cruise and the interior of my cabin was just fine. Yes, the furniture could use a little updating, but the cabin itself wasn't dirty and I did have a brand new shower curtain. :D

Outside rust issues are everywhere; on every ship. Show me inside problems. You know I was on the same cruise and the interior of my cabin was just fine. Yes, the furniture could use a little updating, but the cabin itself wasn't dirty and I did have a brand new shower curtain. :D

I have over 300 days on Princess and have never seen a piece of rotten wood holding the balcony together,or rust so bad on the door that it could not be locked.If you pushed hard enough the divider would have fallen over onto the next balcony.And you say you see this on every ship?The bathroom pics are attached.They promised us,at Princess, that all these items would be addressed when we were contemplating cancelling this cruise.The only thing that was changed was the tub!

1115618366_GrandPrincessJan.2011080.jpg.38870755d65ad8288a2cd49c91eba433.jpg

1947311723_GrandPrincessJan.2011082.jpg.d63dcdb7cf33fcfa02c72f183f33d134.jpg

I have over 300 days on Princess and have never seen a piece of rotten wood holding the balcony together,or rust so bad on the door that it could not be locked.If you pushed hard enough the divider would have fallen over onto the next balcony.And you say you see this on every ship?The bathroom pics are attached.They promised us,at Princess, that all these items would be addressed when we were contemplating cancelling this cruise.The only thing that was changed was the tub!

Yes, there is always exterior rust on all ships and then they paint it.

As for the photo of your toilet bowl, what are we supposed to see?

And BTW, I have far more days than you, but I never let little things make me crazy.

I have one question. Did you enjoy your cruise? Did you like the IC and Alfredo's?

Archived