Tis Himself reporting from the Amsterdam

Himself

Can either one of you you clarify for me where the ship docks for Anchorage? Does the Amsterdam dock in Seward or are you closer to Anchorage itself when you dock. If Seward, it looks like a long drive to Anchorage. How did that impact any tours/

thanks, we are on this trip next year and I can't wait.

Can either one of you you clarify for me where the ship docks for Anchorage? Does the Amsterdam dock in Seward or are you closer to Anchorage itself when you dock. If Seward, it looks like a long drive to Anchorage. How did that impact any tours/

The ship actually docks in Anchorage about 5 minutes from downtown.

It is a very industrial area of town. Yes, right in Anchorage. You can't just walk off the ship and head into town though. If you aren't on a ship's tour you can take a shuttle to the Egan Center in downtown Anchorage. They say taxis were going to be available, but I did not see one. My DH claims he saw one. Not sure if he was seeing things, or if someone grabbed it up quickly and it was gone before you knew it. Others on my cruise also mentioned they did not see any taxis.

thanks for the quick replies, all. We are 3 couples traveling and will spend the winter dreaming about what we will do next year on our Amsterdam cruise.

Did you check out the photos I linked to above? That should give you a nice taste of what awaits you.

Mary - we took a cab in Anchorage to the car rental place on 5th. There were none out there when we disembarked, just a long line of buses mostly to the left. So I asked a port employee and he said he had just called for some. Within about 5 minutes, three cabs appeared and the port employee shouted out to us to get the first one. I understand they came regularly then throughout the day.

I have posted a few photos on my roll call beginning with post 790.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30328165#post30328165

wonderful pictures!! All of us have been on at least one Alaska cruise. My DH and I have done two previously but none of us have been as far up as Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak. All were only 7 days previously. the only disappointment is not cruising east of Vancouver Island. I hope it isn't too rough on the west side. Thanks all, for your help.

Yes it can get rough. My husband will attest to that!!!

I just got done loading 2600 photos onto my computer. Now I have to sort through them and do something with them. I will likely make a book using an online company like My Publisher.

Still debating the review. So much is going on right now and when things settle down for me the Alaska cruising season will be over, so not sure how beneficial it will be. However one night I may just feel literate and start writing. ;)

We are going to have a hello and a good bye party for my son and daughter on Labor Day weekend. My son got a job in CA and this will be his good-bye party. My daughter goes to grad school in Delaware and will be heading home to be with the family before her brother leaves. For her it will be a hello party. Her friends and family will have the opportunity to say hello to her as we don't see her often. She had actually bought a plane ticket to come home and had sworn her brothers to secrecy. However, when I saw I could get her a decent ticket with our miles, I asked her to come home. She ended up telling us she had the ticket so I wouldn't keep bugging her. I am so excited to have her home, but sad my son will be so far away. We live in MI. So, that is the focus of my next week and a half.

I had the impression you were living in CA. I hope it is a good reunion for all concerned and sorry your son will be so far from you.

I think you already got your answer so I will not repeat it. I will just say I have never seen tides vary as much as they do at Anchorage. When I got off the Ship it was a steep walk down to a platform and then down to the ground. When I returned it was a very short climb up to the Lower Promenade Deck and later that afternoon the dock was actually about six inches higher than the lower promenade deck. When we left at 11:00 AM, we were again up quite high. I hope you enjoy it, half as much as I did. When are you going in 2012?

Will be watching this thread with great interest -- would LOVE to do this itinerary some day :)

Have a wonderful time. I wish you many whales, otters and eagles :)

It has been seven weeks since I set sail on the AMSTERDAM and six weeks since I docked in Anchorage and I just read your post before I sailed and having done this sailing, I can say I highly recommend this 14 day voyage.

I had the impression you were living in CA. I hope it is a good reunion for all concerned and sorry your son will be so far from you.

No, but there were several on my roll call who were from California. I am a born and raised Michigander and my DH was born and raised in NJ, but relocated to MI after he graduated from college. It is difficult to have your children so far away. I just got off the phone with my daughter. She was at the supermarket wanting her mom to help her decide what kinds of supplies to purchase in case they lose their power in DE. It is so difficult to be so far from her at a time like this. I pray the storms turns out to sea before too much damage is done.

I am really missing the cruise too. It was lovely. What a wonderful ship and crew!!! Loved it, loved it, loved it!!!

No, but there were several on my roll call who were from California. I am a born and raised Michigander and my DH was born and raised in NJ, but relocated to MI after he graduated from college. It is difficult to have your children so far away. I just got off the phone with my daughter. She was at the supermarket wanting her mom to help her decide what kinds of supplies to purchase in case they lose their power in DE. It is so difficult to be so far from her at a time like this. I pray the storms turns out to sea before too much damage is done.

I am really missing the cruise too. It was lovely. What a wonderful ship and crew!!! Loved it, loved it, loved it!!!

You know it will be six weeks tomorrow since I was on the ship and docking in Anchorage and when I saw David's post, I kind of felt withdrawal myself. What part of Michigan are you from. Blue from the Alaskan Fudge Company in Juneau grew up in the Travese City area. He got the recipe from the fudge made on Mackinac Island. By the way I pronouce it as Macinaw--as natives taught me years ago.

I hope you daughter will be safe and it would be nice if the storm blew out to see and disappated from the cold up north. My prayers are with her.

I just view those pictures and they are awesome. You are a gifted photographer!

LOL!!! Hardly, but thanks for the compliment!!! I bought a new camera before we left. Actually was learning how to use it on the flight out. I still have more to learn. I used to bring a large SLR type camera, but got tired of lugging it around. This time I went for a point and shoot with a better zoom. I am pretty pleased with it so far. I do still have a bit to learn, but I am happy. At some point I will either post more photos or post a link to whatever site I used to post them. That will likely happen after the Labor Day party. Right now I need to get back to the kitchen to finish my stuffed peppers. Tomorrow I am taking some to my friend who had surgery before my trip. It has been difficult getting back in the cooking mood that is for sure, which accounts for my late night of cooking. Have a nice weekend, Father.

You know it will be six weeks tomorrow since I was on the ship and docking in Anchorage and when I saw David's post, I kind of felt withdrawal myself. What part of Michigan are you from. Blue from the Alaskan Fudge Company in Juneau grew up in the Travese City area. He got the recipe from the fudge made on Mackinac Island. By the way I pronouce it as Macinaw--as natives taught me years ago.

I hope you daughter will be safe and it would be nice if the storm blew out to see and disappated from the cold up north. My prayers are with her.

I grew up in Detroit and now live in a western suburb. Yes, I pronounce Mackinac the same way. :)

I grew up in Detroit and now live in a western suburb. Yes, I pronounce Mackinac the same way. :)

The retired Bishop of Joliet, Bishop Joseph L. Imesch is a former Detroit Auxiliary. He left there 32 years ago and is still living here.

thanks for replying, too,Father. We will be on this trip August 10 to 24, 2012. One of our group is celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary on August 19 (formal night, Kodiak, if I have read the threads correctly) and my DH's sister and brother-in-law will join us from VA. My DH and I were Best Man and Matron of Honour for the wedding. And our friend was best man at our wedding (hadn't met his wife yet). He and his wife helped us celebrate our 40th in 2010 on a Southern Caribbean cruise.

Sounds like a great party about to happen - can we come? We're just across the border in Windsor, can be there in no time at all!!!:D Enjoy your time with your kids - one of mine was in Vancouver for 3 years and then in Winnipeg for 2 before her husband got posted back to Windsor so I know what you are going through.

I want to say again how great your pictures are. Looking forward to seeing some more after Labour Day.

I hope you do give us a little bit of a review. It might help me relive the experience through the eyes of someone else on the cruise at a different time.

You guilted me into a review. ;) I really wanted to do photos along with each day, but that was going to delay getting it done and posted, so I just posted the review. Warning: It is very long....I tend to be long-winded!!! Once we get the photos organized, I will post the link. That will definitely be after our labor day party.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30393536#post30393536

You guilted me into a review. ;) I really wanted to do photos along with each day, but that was going to delay getting it done and posted, so I just posted the review. Warning: It is very long....I tend to be long-winded!!! Once we get the photos organized, I will post the link. That will definitely be after our labor day party.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30393536#post30393536

Hey, it was a great review. I enjoyed it very much. Two quick points about Sitka.

1.) I always try and get to the Raptor Center.

2.) There is a drug store down the street from the Orthodox Cathedral. In there they can make a chocolate soda the old fashioned way. It is a drug store with an ice cream fountain where you can sit. It is like what many of us over 55 grew up with. I recommend it highly.

One final story on the Raptor center. I was talking to one of the kids that worked there.

He was originally from Washington State. His mother is a flight attendent for Alaska Air.

She had an overnight in Sitka and the weather was so beautiful she thought it would be a good place to raise a family so they moved up there "lock,stock and barrel." He said both days she visited it was sunny and warm. He said she didn't know they only had five warm sunny days a year.

I hope you have a great time over Labor Day.

Hey, it was a great review. I enjoyed it very much. Two quick points about Sitka.

1.) I always try and get to the Raptor Center.

2.) There is a drug store down the street from the Orthodox Cathedral. In there they can make a chocolate soda the old fashioned way. It is a drug store with an ice cream fountain where you can sit. It is like what many of us over 55 grew up with. I recommend it highly.

One final story on the Raptor center. I was talking to one of the kids that worked there.

He was originally from Washington State. His mother is a flight attendent for Alaska Air.

She had an overnight in Sitka and the weather was so beautiful she thought it would be a good place to raise a family so they moved up there "lock,stock and barrel." He said both days she visited it was sunny and warm. He said she didn't know they only had five warm sunny days a year.

I hope you have a great time over Labor Day.

The raptor center was on my to do list, but we had no time with the tour we scheduled. Perhaps if ever get back, I will be able to do that.

Can't say a chocolate soda is in my memories. Perhaps it was not a Detroit thing. I don't recall it. Our favorite back then was to get coke with cherry syrup added. I am glad you found a place that makes them like you remember them.

Funny story about the flight attendant. Davey told us the summers are usually quite nice in Sitka.

Archived