Tis Himself reporting from the Amsterdam

Himself

Do I need to do a review or was this day by day scouting report good enough to satify alll?

No you definitely do not need to do a review, that is exactly why I report LIVE, so i do not have to do a review in the end :D Although I have been know to make a few final comments once I am home ;)

Welcome Home to Hot and Humid Illinois, although i do know where you would rather be.

my niece and i are traveling your route next june1. we promise to maintain your great attitude about life. kb

I HOPE it is the same route. A drawing looked to me like they would go up oceanside next time rather than the inside passage.

Do I need to do a review or was this day by day scouting report good enough to satify alll?

Glad you made it home safe and hope the heat wasn't too much of a shock. Thanks so much for your scouting report. We'll be on this cruise in just over 5 weeks (the first 2 weeks of Sep) so it was great to get a preview of what's to come. It will be my 4th trip to Alaska but 4 of the ports are new for me so really looking forward to them. Thanks again.

Dear Father,

It was fantastic reading your blow-by-blow account of your trip. I know it may have gone quickly for you, but it also seemed too short from this end too!;)

Thanks for taking the time to report and welcome home.

Lemur

Thanks Father for takeing the time to report on your cruise. It was interesting to hear about the port's that i haven't been to.

Hope it isn't too cold this winter in Illionis.

Helen

No

I saving to do this next year. I want to sail up the inside passage. I made the mistake of sleeping..

Mary

Mary, do you know that the itinerary map that HAL has on their website for the Amsterdam for next year, does not travel to the East of Vancouver Island when the ship is going Northbound? If this map is correct, the cruiseship will be sailing to the West of Vancouver Island going NB. This is the route the AMsterdam returned to Seattle by this year going Southbound. Next year, it looks like both directions is the less scenic route. Someone should contact HAL. Hopefully someone just posted the wrong routing, but if it is the correct routing, it is going to be a big disappointment. Bob and I debated going next year instead of this year. So glad we didn't wait. Last year the trip included Glacier Bay. This year they went with Tracy Arm. If the Amsterdam cruises to the West of Vancouver Island next year, you have another downgrade for this cruise. Very disappointing!!! HAL is messing with a good thing, and that is never good.

Welcome home! I enjoyed reading your reports. We are on this cruise in Sept. and took it last year....sorry Skagway was dropped, but looking forward to new stops.

Karen

Personally, so was I disappointed. I like Skagway much better than ICY STRAIT

Himself

Mary, do you know that the itinerary map that HAL has on their website for the Amsterdam for next year, does not travel to the East of Vancouver Island when the ship is going Northbound? If this map is correct, the cruiseship will be sailing to the West of Vancouver Island going NB. This is the route the AMsterdam returned to Seattle by this year going Southbound. Next year, it looks like both directions is the less scenic route. Someone should contact HAL. Hopefully someone just posted the wrong routing, but if it is the correct routing, it is going to be a big disappointment. Bob and I debated going next year instead of this year. So glad we didn't wait. Last year the trip included Glacier Bay. This year they went with Tracy Arm. If the Amsterdam cruises to the West of Vancouver Island next year, you have another downgrade for this cruise. Very disappointing!!! HAL is messing with a good thing, and that is never good.

I noticed this as well -- the route for leaving Seattle.

Only so many ships each year can visit Glacier Bay -- HAL has no say in the decision.

Yes Mary I notice none of Amsterdam's cruises are going north voa inside passage. If you go to HA website and look at Itinerary it tells you Vancouver Island cruising. This year it says Inside passage. Big mistake for HA

Mary

Hopefuuly HAL will change this

I walked into Kodiak this morning--about a mile from the ship. It is a delightful little town.

It was the First Russain Capital of Alaska. I found the Russian Orthodox Church but not the Catholic Church. There is quite a fishing industry in Kodiak and serveral fish processing plants there. I brought my umbrella--just in case--but as usual, when I bring an umbrella the sun came out. We let loose our mooring lines and took off for Hubbard Glacier. We should arrive there by two P.M. Tomorrow afternoon.

I had the non-denominational Christian Ecummenical Service at 4PM and Mass at 5PM.

Someone from the Cruise Critic said "Father Himself, what is your real name?" First time someone on this cruise recognised me.

All in all it was a lovely day in Kodiak and I saw no Kodaik bears. They respected my territory and I respected their territory.

I will report in tomorrow.

Himself

This report is coming from the Amsterdam someplace on the Gulf of Alaska

Would it be possible to use a manual wheelchair for the walk? Is their a sidewalk or do you have to walk along the highway?

I have been back home for a week and wish I was back in Alaska on the AMSTERDAM. It was a great cruise.

Nice to hear how much you miss your cruise. Makes me all the more excited. I have to say after reading quite a few of the reviews of returning cruisers from this ship, I have to wonder if they were all on the same ship. So many very different experiences.

Do you recall if the TVs on the Amsterdam have the inputs where you can attach your camera to view your photos?

Would it be possible to use a manual wheelchair for the walk? Is their a sidewalk or do you have to walk along the highway?

We took this trip last year. HAL had a free shuttle to take those who had mobility issues in to town. Those who could walk were requested to do so or were requested to allow those who needed the ride to go first.

~TC

Archived