Tis Himself reporting from the Amsterdam

Himself

Father,

Thanks so much for allowing us to follow along on your Amsterdam cruise. She is, indeed, a fine ship. I whole-heartedly agree with your feelings of sadness when a cruise comes to an end.

I wish you safe travels back home.

However my plane goes off at 12:30 on Friday and I have be here to check in on line on Friday and get my group selection on South West. Since I want to be in the A section, I better be on line at 12:30PM.

In case you aren't aware of it Southwest has a Earlybird Check In program...For $10 each way you have a better chance to be in the A section...No guarantee but perhaps something to be considered.

Good morning friends:

I saw two whales very close to the ship at 7:00AM this morning. Right now we are about 44 nautical miles from Victoria, BC. On the Port side we can see Vancouver Island in the distance and we can see the Olympic Peninsula of the State of Washington on the Starboard side of the ship. So, why am I sitting at this computer. I will not get off the ship until I have my boarding pass taken care of and then we will try to make our way into town and up to Buchart Gardens. Mighty Quinn, thanks for the schedule and the link. I will look at the post until I leave the ship. Manhattan, Illinois I wil be back tomorrow night. I have missed the past three weekends in the parish. First weekend in Rome and the last two at Sea.

In case you aren't aware of it Southwest has a Earlybird Check In program...For $10 each way you have a better chance to be in the A section...No guarantee but perhaps something to be considered.

I ALWAYS do the "Early Bird" and I just booked in.. I am "A19" Better than being C59!

Now quick Lunch and here I come Victoria!

Thank you very much for asking. I still don't understand why they don't post this and make it common knowledge. It would suck to be fined for something you didn't know was banned. If I had not read this forum, I would have no idea you shouldn't bring food off the ship. Thanks again. Glad to hear you are having such a great time.

The Hubbard/Glacier Bay debate is always an interesting one. After reading these boards now for about 5 years, I have come to the conclusion that the split is about 50/50. I loved Glacier Bay and can't imagine the experience of Hubbard topping it. I will likely agree that Hubbard glacier itself is far more impressive than any glacier you will see in Glacier Bay. However, I just can't imagine liking it better. However, I will reserve my final opinion until I get to see it. I wonder what is it about this year that has stalled the calving of Hubbard.

FYI.... this year has been odd all across the northwest. It has been very cool and cloudy. One should NEVER go to Hubbard very early. The bay is still choked with ice and the glacier is not yet really active. All that being said, it is back on the watch list this year in Alaska. It has advanced once again very close to closing off the back bay area. Everyone has their fingers crossed that it wimps out before that happens.

Hubbard really is spectacular, but best viewed in Mid July and afterwards most years.

This is the first year I have read of so many people reporting they saw no or very little calving at Hubbard Glacier. Many have said the calving at Glacier Bay was far better this year. I wonder what is it about this year that has stalled the calving of Hubbard.

FYI.... this year has been odd all across the northwest. It has been very cool and cloudy. One should NEVER go to Hubbard very early. The bay is still choked with ice and the glacier is not yet really active. All that being said, it is back on the watch list this year in Alaska. It has advanced once again very close to closing off the back bay area. Everyone has their fingers crossed that it wimps out before that happens.

Hubbard really is spectacular, but best viewed in Mid July and afterwards most years.

This is the first year I have read of so many people reporting they saw no or very little calving at Hubbard Glacier. Many have said the calving at Glacier Bay was far better this year. I wonder what is it about this year that has stalled the calving of Hubbard.

It was no disappointment this last Monday. We were able to get within less than a mile of it and it was active. I was not disappointed in Hubbard's Glacker.

I went outside the ship after lunch and got the CVS bus into town. I then took a CVS bus out to Butchart Gardens. I got out there by before three and got a bus back about 5PM. The bus was late getting out due to rush hour traffic. I was blessed in that the bus was coming out here anyway and so I stayed on the Bus. The Gardens were BETTER than I imagined. They are so beautiful and I was glad I made the trip out there. This was my fourth trip to Victoria and the first time I got to the Butchart Gardens. They would be worth experienceing a second time. I had a great time out there.

When we arrived this morning the Royal Caribbean Rapsody of the Seas was in. When I returned from my Victoria trip the Rapsody was getting ready to leave and the Celebrity Infinity was docked and is still here.

I have just finished supper and now I have to pack--these little things in life.

Father, so happy to hear you enjoyed the gardens. We are looking forward to seeing them. We are fortunate our cruise ship has such a long docking time in Victoria. So many are just there in the late evening. It must be sad for you to be ending this cruise. Sounds like you had a marvelous time. I know it will be the same for us. My Bob and I are pretty easy to please people. We have been to Alaska once and know the scenery will blow us away one more time. Everything else is secondary.

Tonight I worked on some more packing for my cruise. I have never packed this early before. However, a good friend is having surgery several days before we leave, and I want to be there for her. My goal is to have everything packed by Tuesday night except for the last minute items that will have to go in.

Father, I have a question about daily Mass. Does HAL choose the times, or does each priest decide the times that suit them best?

Have a blessed and safe journey home!!! I am sure I will catch you on the boards now and then. God bless you!!!!

Father, so happy to hear you enjoyed the gardens. We are looking forward to seeing them. We are fortunate our cruise ship has such a long docking time in Victoria. So many are just there in the late evening. It must be sad for you to be ending this cruise. Sounds like you had a marvelous time. I know it will be the same for us. My Bob and I are pretty easy to please people. We have been to Alaska once and know the scenery will blow us away one more time. Everything else is secondary.

Tonight I worked on some more packing for my cruise. I have never packed this early before. However, a good friend is having surgery several days before we leave, and I want to be there for her. My goal is to have everything packed by Tuesday night except for the last minute items that will have to go in.

Father, I have a question about daily Mass. Does HAL choose the times, or does each priest decide the times that suit them best?

Have a blessed and safe journey home!!! I am sure I will catch you on the boards now and then. God bless you!!!!

HAL chooses the times and Father shows up. On Port days the Mass is at 5PM. On Sea Days it is usually 8:00 AM unless it is Saturday. Then the Mass is always at 5PM.

I hope you enjoy this cruise half as much as I did and keep up posted so I can live it vicarioulsy through you.

HAL chooses the times and Father shows up. On Port days the Mass is at 5PM. On Sea Days it is usually 8:00 AM unless it is Saturday. Then the Mass is always at 5PM.

I hope you enjoy this cruise half as much as I did and keep up posted so I can live it vicarioulsy through you.

I doubt I will be doing a live report, but I will be sure to report back upon my return.

The Gardens were BETTER than I imagined. They are so beautiful and I was glad I made the trip out there. This was my fourth trip to Victoria and the first time I got to the Butchart Gardens. They would be worth experiencing a second time.
Father Himself, I am so glad that you made it to Butchart. The gardens are truly spectacular and certainly worth seeing more than once. We have Annual Passes and go several times each season. It never gets old, even for a local.

Next time, you might want to consider a whale watching trip, especially if you didn't get your fill in Alaska. If you time it just right, you may hit Superpod, when our 3 pods of resident orcas come together for a big party. It's magic.

I'll listen for the Amsterdam farewell toot tonite. Safe travels back home. :):)

yes I was disappointed I was not close enough to see the glacier and see any calving. I was thrilled to see all the ice and Iceburgs in the water. I was so wexcited in Tracy Arm and then at glacier its was really a small disappointed. I wanted to see calving more than anything but the ice and burgs more than made up for it. I did read where everyone was worried that Hubbard was moving toward the land and might block off the channel? that would cause a lot of damage to the fishing and tours. Hopfully it will stop.

Mary

Gene Autry (Remember him?) used to sing "I'm back in the Saddle Again." Well my friends for the past 45 minutes, the m.s. AMSTERDAM has been docked in Seattle again. The voyage is over. I catch a 12:20 Plane out of Seattle and land this evening on what pilates have called "llike landing on a Postage Stamp" that is at Midway Airport and then I do the long drive back to Manhattan, Illinois. It has been a marvelous two weeks. MIDDLE AGED MOM recommended this cruise to me last July and it was an outstanding recommendation.

Talk to you all soon.

Himself

Father Himself, I am so glad that you made it to Butchart. The gardens are truly spectacular and certainly worth seeing more than once. We have Annual Passes and go several times each season. It never gets old, even for a local.

Next time, you might want to consider a whale watching trip, especially if you didn't get your fill in Alaska. If you time it just right, you may hit Superpod, when our 3 pods of resident orcas come together for a big party. It's magic.

I'll listen for the Amsterdam farewell toot tonite. Safe travels back home. :):)

Since you were listening for the "farewell toot" you must live in or near Victoria. If I lived in Victoria, I would probable have an annual pass and go there a few times a year.

I slept on the bus all the way up. I presume that the gardens are quite a bit North of the City. Am I correct?

Himself, I heard the gentle toot of a ship's horn at 11:27 pm last nite and thought it must be Amsterdam. But nooo! It was Celebrity Infinity. That's what I get for turning in early. :o:o

Yes, you're right about Butchart. It's located ~25 km north of Victoria in Brentwood Bay. It's a relatively uninteresting highway drive, so you missed nothing by having a snooze. The gardens are great in all seasons. Our fave is actually what they call their 5th season, which is during Christmas/New Years, when the grounds are decked out in festive lights and decorations. Truly a visual feast!

Thanks again for your reporting live from Amsterdam. We will take this cruise soon and are very excited about it.

Father, I hope you will still get this. I'm sorry I didn't respond when you asked the question, but I've been on retreat and am just trying to catch up. Blackie Ryan is the protagonist in a series of Andrew Greeley novels.

Kathie

I am now back in Manhattan and the cruise is fast becoming a memory. I might add it is a very happy memory. I got home Friday nite after they had a power failure here and the internet was not back up until yesterday afternoon. Have to run now and get ready for Mass.

I am now back in Manhattan and the cruise is fast becoming a memory. I might add it is a very happy memory. I got home Friday nite after they had a power failure here and the internet was not back up until yesterday afternoon. Have to run now and get ready for Mass.

Happy to hear you are safely home!!

Gene Autry (Remember him?) used to sing "I'm back in the Saddle Again." Well my friends for the past 45 minutes, the m.s. AMSTERDAM has been docked in Seattle again. The voyage is over. I catch a 12:20 Plane out of Seattle and land this evening on what pilates have called "llike landing on a Postage Stamp" that is at Midway Airport and then I do the long drive back to Manhattan, Illinois. It has been a marvelous two weeks. MIDDLE AGED MOM recommended this cruise to me last July and it was an outstanding recommendation.

Talk to you all soon.

Himself

I saw Gene Autry and Champion in 1954, when I was 7.

Here's a memory :

http://www.last.Fm/music/Gene+Autry/_/Back+in+the+Saddle+Again

Father, I hope you will still get this. I'm sorry I didn't respond when you asked the question, but I've been on retreat and am just trying to catch up. Blackie Ryan is the protagonist in a series of Andrew Greeley novels.

Kathie

I might have known!

Archived