Calling all HAL CC addicts out there ... would you pay to use the Boards?

I do get a ton of information from this site and if I couldn't access it...you have to wonder...how much information would be on here? I'm sure we'd lose some folks...but I for one think I could be suckered into paying a small fee. After all, where else would I go to chat about my favorite activity :rolleyes:

I would imagine you could always read the boards, even without paying the fee. You probably just wouldn't be able to post, or would be limited in the number of posts you could make a month.

I guess paying a fee to use the boards is probably inevitable. We see how slow these boards become sometimes and that is because the servers are probably overburdened. To upgrade to better, more faster servers that could handle the traffic is gonna cost money. That money is gonna have to come from somewhere and unfortunately, paid subscriptions is the most logical choice.

I would just hope that if there is gonna be a paid subscription, there would be some added services that we don't get now. Perhaps each subscriber would have a special area where photos could be posted ... maybe even a limited amount of web space where the subscriber could put up their "cruise pages." I just hope the paid subscription option would offer premium service like these types of extras, with the basic services we get now remaining free.

If we go paid subscribers for the same services we get for free now, there is no getting around it. We're gonna lose a bunch of folks. With their loss is gonna come the loss of the diversity of opinions we get now on these boards, and that is gonna degrade the value of the boards overall.

Paid subscriptions are fine, but give a bunch of extra services for the money and keep what we have now as free. Then we'll have the best of both worlds as long as the cost for a paid subscription is reasonable.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I want to clarify for anyone who may not have read my OP. I'm not saying that they're going to charge. I said that it APPEARS from what LauraS wrote on the Celebrity thread about this, that they're thinking of charging for "premium" members. Those members would have added services.

I was going to provide a link to the Celebrity thread, but it seems to have mysteriously vanished! Maybe I just can't see properly, but I can't find it andit's no longer in my "subscriptions". Guess this will be gone soon, too!

I did not get the impression that everyone would be charged so no need to go running anywhere YET:D :

It would depend on the level of uptake. If only 10% of people paid up, the level of information on the boards would be diminished, so being a paid member would not therefore be worth it. I think it would be a big mistake by Cruise Critic if they did this.

I too have enjoyed this forum for getting information on the fine art of cruising...but I don't think it would be worth it to me to pay for this.

Like others have said, if this was a paid-subscription the supply of contributors would be diminished so the information would be limited. Charging a fee would risk making the CC boards irrelevant. Just too many other choices out there...

I wouldn't pay. But then again, I won't pay to shop in a warehouse club either. Cruise Critic used to have sponsors who advertised specials at the top of the page. I guess they still do since there is a "Cruise Agencies" at the top of the page. I never noticed it until tonight.

Roberta

My first reaction is that I would NOT want to pay for CC or any other message board. I'd have to know just what

[B]"premium" members. Those members would have added services. [/B] means....and cost would also have to be very reasonable.

Many of the questions posted on CC could be answered by a good TA, reading the brochure or, in some instances, a call to the Line's Customer Service number......and dare I say, a little research!.....some posters seem to want everything handed to them on a platter!

Most Lines have brochures which spell out the dress code, tipping policy etc. etc. You must read and compare.

We started cruising long before there was "[COLOR=Blue]http://www.[/COLOR]" - we went by what our TA and the Line's brochure (we read it cover to cover!) said..........we were on our own................

Our first cruise was a wonderful, magical adventure.....we learned as we went along. We met people, made friends and have kept in touch with several couples ever since. Now, some 40 cruises later, we're still learning. Frankly, I don't want to always have all the answers - life could become very dull if there is nothing to be discovered! Every cruise is what YOU make it!

[quote name='Cruiseoften']..........Many of the questions posted on CC could be answered by a good TA, reading the brochure or, in some instances, a call to the Line's Customer Service number......and dare I say, a little research!.....some posters seem to want everything handed to them on a platter!

Most Lines have brochures which spell out the dress code, tipping policy etc. etc. You must read and compare.

We started cruising long before there was "[color=blue]http://www.[/color]" - we went by what our TA and the Line's brochure (we read it cover to cover!) said..........we were on our own................

Our first cruise was a wonderful, magical adventure.....we learned as we went along. We met people, made friends and have kept in touch with several couples ever since. Now, some 40 cruises later, we're still learning. Frankly, I don't want to always have all the answers - life could become very dull if there is nothing to be discovered! Every cruise is what YOU make it![/QUOTE]

I love what you said! I couldn't agree more. In many ways, our first cruise was our best cruise. There is adventure in mystery and vice versa.:)

Which is why I almost wish they'd charge ..... and break my addiction.;) I was fine before the CC boards and I'll be fine after. I'd just be a little richer for the friends I've made here and I can take them with me.

Archived