Check in time on the Allure/Oasis

I've searched and haven't found the answer to my question:

How early can you check in and board the Allure or Oasis?

I've read that a lot of people check in at 11AM and usually board right away or have a very small wait. For example, if someone were to take the red eye or an early morning flight on the day of their cruise and arrive in FLL between 8AM & 9AM, could they go straight to the terminal to check in and wait to board? What time do the check in counters open? What time does boarding usually begin?

From what I've read in the many reviews, the previous week's passengers are typically off by 9AM. Would someone be allowed to check in at 10AM and board shortly thereafter?

For the spunky, negative responders: No, I'm not arriving in FLL on the day of my cruise. In fact, I'm not even flying. We're driving down the day before, so please save the smart alec remarks. Thanks! ;)

I've read that a lot of people check in at 11AM and usually board right away or have a very small wait. For example, if someone were to take the red eye or an early morning flight on the day of their cruise and arrive in FLL between 8AM & 9AM, could they go straight to the terminal to check in and wait to board? What time do the check in counters open? What time does boarding usually begin?

From what I've read in the many reviews, the previous week's passengers are typically off by 9AM. Would someone be allowed to check in at 10AM and board shortly thereafter?

For the spunky, negative responders: No, I'm not arriving in FLL on the day of my cruise. In fact, I'm not even flying. We're driving down the day before, so please save the smart alec remarks. Thanks! ;)

No, that's too early. The terminal isn't cleared of the old passengers until at least 10 A.M., on a good day.

No one gets in until the previous cruise's passengers are gone.

You are correct that the boarding process usually begins at or shortly after 11 A.M., unless there is some delay from the previous cruise.

Some day I'll drive down - rather than fly - from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. make a trip out of it, and stay in Florida for a few days.

Sailed on the Allure on July 3rd. Arrived at the port at 11:20am. Was checked in and on board by 11:40am! Don't think I would arrive any earlier than 11am. Process is very easy as long as you have all of your paperwork done beforehand!

Have a great time!

And don't forget: I'll be onboard already to greet you at the doorway! ;)

Some day I'll drive down - rather than fly - from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. make a trip out of it, and stay in Florida for a few days.

Whew, that's a looong drive! We live about 30 minutes south of Atlanta, GA, so the drive won't be too bad (I estimate about 8 hours with our lead feet). ;)

And don't forget: I'll be onboard already to greet you at the doorway! ;)

I don't know...I'm so anxious that I'm ready to drive down and sit at the terminal now! I could welcome you aboard before your first leg then. hehe :D

I guess I should plan to drop off the vehicle at Park 'N Go at 10:30AM-10:45AM, which would probably put us at the terminal by 11AM. I wish the next 6 1/2 weeks would just fly by!!! All I can think about is vacation and it's affecting my efficiency at work. :eek:

My last cruise was on Carnival and we were able to check in/board at 10AM-10:30AM, but we departed at 4PM from Port Canaveral.

Thanks a bunch to all who posted answers!! :)

We sailed the Allure on 3/20/11.

We flew in Saturday and stayed at a local hotel. Everyone was super excited and ready pretty early that morning. The hotel had a shuttle but for 8.00 a person and it didn't leave until 10:30. It was cheaper for the 4 of us to get a cab (only 22.00 with tip). Not knowing how long it would take for one to come we asked the hotel to call one at 9:15 and it was there by 9:30. So off we went. We figured it was hang out in the hotel lobby or hang out at the port, what was the difference.

We arrived at the port and had the bags unloaded by 9:50. The porters ran right out to meet us. We then had to wait as security was not open yet. There is a large room in front of security where some people were lining up. After about 10 minutes I asked a nice lady when security would open and she said it varied and depended on everyone being off and customs clearing the ship, but should be soon. At 10:05 security opened. There was maybe 15 people ahead of us. Security, check in and pictures were all very quick and that was with them pulling me aside to check my carry-on. I still don't know why but suspect it was the can of hair spray because that was the only thing not clothes in the area they looked. We got upstairs around 10:30 I think. The kids got their wrist bands and we picked up a ship map and then was directed to a seating area. The earlier people get the closer area and therefore start the line to board first (after those with suites and special status of course). We boarded about 11:10 so we waited about ½ hour. It actually went by really fast. The kids were taking pictures and looking at the map. I noticed that right before 11:00 they opened more check in desks and there was a noticeable increase in people. As we were boarding a lot of people were coming up the escalators from the check-in area and the official picture area was very busy.

So for us getting there early worked out fine. Any earlier would have been a problem as there wasn't seating in the area before security. The kids only have so much patience for standing in line.

If we did it again, I'd aim for just a few minutes later - around 10:10-10:15.

Because this terminal is specially designed to check in and disembark people AT THE SAME TIME, you can check in while people are still disembarking. The earliest I would arrive if I needed to be the first onboard is at 9:30 or 10:00. The check in is so quick, you'll be in the waiting room before you know it. The second floor on the terminal is huge and it has many many chairs facing all different directions for you to choose what suits your fancy ;). Boarding probably wont begin until 10:30 to 11:00 unless something has gone horribly wrong and it has to be delayed 15 more minutes that will by now probably feel like as an eternity as you can see the ship through the glass windows. Anyways, like one person here said, just take your time eating breakfast very slowly. ;)

Enjoy your trip

Whew, that's a looong drive! We live about 30 minutes south of Atlanta, GA, so the drive won't be too bad (I estimate about 8 hours with our lead feet). ;)

I don't know...I'm so anxious that I'm ready to drive down and sit at the terminal now! I could welcome you aboard before your first leg then. hehe :D

I guess I should plan to drop off the vehicle at Park 'N Go at 10:30AM-10:45AM, which would probably put us at the terminal by 11AM. I wish the next 6 1/2 weeks would just fly by!!! All I can think about is vacation and it's affecting my efficiency at work. :eek:

My last cruise was on Carnival and we were able to check in/board at 10AM-10:30AM, but we departed at 4PM from Port Canaveral.

I couldn't agree more with the efficiency at work comment, I think I spend about 2 hours of my day on cruise critic hoping the days will go by faster! I actually want the summer to come to an end just so we can be on Allure

By the time you deplane, collect your bags and have a good breakfast...

I would eat breakfast at the airport then grab a cab at or about 10 am.

Hilarious, you guys. :rolleyes: OP clearly said they are not flying in. They are driving.

OP, pax are not yet off by 9 am, that's too early to disembark that many people. Personally, if you are at the pier by 10:30, I'd say you have a good chance of a fairly short wait.

I don't think you can get into your room till 1, right? I guess I am confused why you'd want to hang out for 3 hours without even being able to put your stuff down anywhere?

Most of us don't carry on with us more than we can handle for those TWO hours (if you are lucky enough to board at 11; it's not likely to be quite that early - so it's probably more like 1 1/2 -1 3/4 hours) As for me, my carry-on has wheels. ;)

Here's what I (and most people) do for 90 to 105 minutes:

Eat lunch.

Tour the ship.

Walk around.

Look at everything.

Drink.

Check out the ship.

Explore the ship.

Inspect the pool deck.

Lie on a pool lounger.

Drink.

I don't need my cabin to do any of those things.

Most of us don't carry on with us more than we can handle for those TWO hours (if you are lucky enough to board at 11; it's not likely to be quite that early - so it's probably more like 1 1/2 -1 3/4 hours) As for me, my carry-on has wheels. ;)

Eat lunch.

Tour the ship.

Walk around.

Look at everything.

Drink.

Check out the ship.

Explore the ship.

Inspect the pool deck.

Lie on a pool lounger.

Drink.

Sounds like what we'll be doing, but add in a little bit of swimming (weather permitting) and a lot more drinking. :D Don't worry, we know when to stop and aren't the obnoxious, drunk, red neck types. ;)

I thought of another question: Does RCI charge tax on drinks/soda cards/sp. restaurant lunch if purchased while still docked in a US port (i.e. before sailaway)? I remember Carnival doing it in Port Canaveral in 2008. I hate taxes. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. So I could bring a 22" carry-on as long as I don't mind dragging it about? Would that look weird?

We have driven down to Florida many times from Kingston ON.It is a easy drive down I81 and I95,two nights on the road or one night if you really push it.The cost to drive is similar to air with out the airport hassles.Give it a try I think you will like it.:cool:

Eat lunch.

Tour the ship.

Walk around.

Look at everything.

Drink.

Check out the ship.

Explore the ship.

Inspect the pool deck.

Lie on a pool lounger.

Drink.

Carol, I like your list but think you have your priorities a bit out of order. I would list them in this order:

Eat lunch

Drink

tour the ship

have a drink in one of the lounges that is open

explore the ship

walk around

check out the line of people just now boarding the ship

have a drink in another one of the lounges

Check out your table in the dining room if you have traditional dining

Check out the pool area

Lie on a pool lounger with a drink in your hand.

After that who cares when they let you into your room?:D

Bill

Boarding early is okay around 11 a.m. but I had to carry two bags around since they were kind of heavy and my wife couldn't handle it.

So it got old after two hours of carrying two bags around the ship. They didn't have wheels on them so it made them difficult.

But we will always continue to board around 11:30 or so

We live east of Atlanta in the Stone Mountain Area. It takes us about 7-7 1/2 hours to drive to Port Canaveral. Port Everglades is at least 200 miles further south. Verify your driving time, it will take you a tad bit longer that 8 hours and be aware that the Highway Patrol in Georgia and Fla would love to catch you speeding. Could ruin your cruise. Be careful on the road.

We were on the June 26th cruise...left the Embassy Suites a bit after 11AM, got to the pier and dropped off our luggage, went in (no lines) checked in in 2 minutes, got our first picture taken, up the gangway to the ship and by 11:30 we were standing in the Royal Promenade waiting to meet our son. The easiest thing...then explore, lunch at the Park Cafe...oh and a drink! Got into our cabin before 1PM and baggage showed up by 3! Just so easy and fast and very well organized.

Carol, I like your list but think you have your priorities a bit out of order. I would list them in this order:

Eat lunch

Drink

tour the ship

have a drink in one of the lounges that is open

explore the ship

walk around

check out the line of people just now boarding the ship

have a drink in another one of the lounges

Check out your table in the dining room if you have traditional dining

Check out the pool area

Lie on a pool lounger with a drink in your hand.

After that who cares when they let you into your room?:D

Bill

That is a perfect plan! We are always at the port at 11:00 & in line, ready to enjoy the ship. Love getting onboard before the masses to take pics.

The earliest I would arrive if I needed to be the first onboard is at 9:30 or 10:00.

I agree with Snorkel Dog and fdthird. Planning to arrive at 9:30 is just not a good idea. 5000 people are trying to leave and claim luggage while you are coming. :eek: We too get to the port around 11 or 11:15 and end up being able to get on board almost instantly (unless for some reason the ship is not "cleared" because of a delay). Then we can still wander around a good 2 hours before getting settled in the cabin.

Katherine

Archived