Organizing Stateroom

CrzN4Info

I don't use a collapsable hamper but I do pack my clothes in Ziploc storage cubes and when after I unpack everything, I leave the cube on the closet floor and we put the dirty clothes into it. Sometimes I just zip the dirty clothes as is and toss it back into the suit case sometime we are able to do some laundry first.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/FlexibleTotes.aspx?SizeName=XL

• 2 weeks later...

Just the post/s I was looking to find about the little things to pack for a cruise. I got some great ideas from all you seasoned cruisers. thank you

On the Century, will two 26" cases store under the bed? or where would they go? We will be a balcony room. Small functioning spaces are not so much a problem for me. At one time, I lived nearly 7 yrs on a sailboat. Also what class is the Century ship. I know it is an older one.

I'm new to cruising. Is the cruise to Hawaii a more casual one than some others? except for the appropriate dinner attire? A good part of my packing problem will be we that we will stay in Hawaii for 3 months after the cruise. Packing the right clothes for the cruise and then not wearing them much again in Hawaii will be the problem. Hawaii is so very casual even at night that I will be packing clothing items just for this cruise and then likely not wear them again for the rest of our time in Hawaii....may even mail them home. For me packing space even in a 26" case is always a problem!!! How does anyone do it in just carry ons, it is beyond me. I guess I like to have lots of clothes around to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people have talked about bringing a night light. Where do they plug them in. I have thought about it every cruise but in the bathroom it says you can only plug in razors. We brought battery candles last time but a nightlight would be better.

Some people have talked about bringing a night light. Where do they plug them in. I have thought about it every cruise but in the bathroom it says you can only plug in razors. We brought battery candles last time but a nightlight would be better.

We've brought a small low powered nightlight with an unpolarized plug (both prongs are the same width) and it works fine. This is only applicable to the M class ships. The S class has night lights built in and on the Century the outlet is switched along with the main light. On the Century we've brought a small battery powered night light battery candle.

We've brought a small low powered nightlight with an unpolarized plug (both prongs are the same width) and it works fine. This is only applicable to the M class ships. The S class has night lights built in and on the Century the outlet is switched along with the main light. On the Century we've brought a small battery powered night light battery candle.

Thanks for the info. We are going on the Century so I guess I bring my candle.

Instead of a hamper, I have a collapsible nylon suitcase that fits flat in the bottom of a regular suitcase. We use it for our dirty clothes. When it's full, we put the dirty clothes in a suitcase under the bed. I separate the laundry according to color into jumbo zip lock bags so all I have to do is open the washer and dump when I get home. The bags, also, hold down odor.

It has come in handy for us twice. Once when going on a trans-Atlantic from Europe, we found our carry-on would not fit in the "box" for a carry-on at Heathrow where we had a connection mostly due to the wheels. It was within the measurements that were provided which, according to our ruler, included the wheels in the length. So, we emptied that suitcase, put everything in the collapsible one which "squished" in nicely.Then we took the empty carry-on and put it inside our checked suitcase.

Another time, our carry-on was completely destroyed between the pier and our cabin. While I guess I could have raised a stink with NCL, since I had gotten it from a thrift shop for $8 and used it many times, I didn't feel right doing it. We had the back-up collapsible bag.

While we have never had to, it is good to have in case we accumulate things along the way to take home.

I pack everything in jumbo zip lock bags that I can. Then if I need something, things move as a unit rather than having to "root" for it wrinkling everything in its path. I've never had TSA open and dump one of the bags when they have left me a "love" note they inspected.

In the bathroom, I take all the small, loose items like pencils, brushes, mascara, etc. and put them in water glasses in the medicine cabinet. That way I pull out the glass and get what I need out of it and put it back.

Tucker in Texas

One thing that I never leave home without is a small alarm clock that has a night light on it. I wake up at night and want to know if I have a few more hours sleep or if I will be getting up soon. I also bring a small plastic basket that I store my toiletries in for the bathroom. I bring ziplock bags, duct tape (hemmed a dress that way once), photocopies of my passport, and an multiplug outlet (or whatever you call it) so I can plug in my alarm clock and my curling iron at the same time.

Just the post/s I was looking to find about the little things to pack for a cruise. I got some great ideas from all you seasoned cruisers. thank you

On the Century, will two 26" cases store under the bed? or where would they go? We will be a balcony room. Small functioning spaces are not so much a problem for me. At one time, I lived nearly 7 yrs on a sailboat. Also what class is the Century ship. I know it is an older one.

I'm new to cruising. Is the cruise to Hawaii a more casual one than some others? except for the appropriate dinner attire? A good part of my packing problem will be we that we will stay in Hawaii for 3 months after the cruise. Packing the right clothes for the cruise and then not wearing them much again in Hawaii will be the problem. Hawaii is so very casual even at night that I will be packing clothing items just for this cruise and then likely not wear them again for the rest of our time in Hawaii....may even mail them home. For me packing space even in a 26" case is always a problem!!! How does anyone do it in just carry ons, it is beyond me. I guess I like to have lots of clothes around to choose from.

I notice that your questions didn't get answered.

Yes, those suitcases will fit under the bed. If there is a problem, your steward can take them away and produce them again on the last night.

Century is a C class ship. Sadly, the only one left in the fleet.

Your casual Hawaii wear will work fine on the ship with the exception of formal nights. Assuming you have something more than shorts. Shorts not permitted in the main dining room in the evening. So I wouldn't worry about that. I'd be more worried about where I would pack the clothes I acquired in Hawaii! I always seem to get a lot of clothes there.

Enjoy your cruise and your 3 months in Hawaii!

Hi All,

I've read that the Solstice doesn't have "enough" hooks and no bathroom clothesline... so now a question...

Can anyone tell me what their solutions are to work around this... is a Flexoline a good investment? And if so, how do you attach it (magnetic hooks?? or something else... I didn't know the walls were metal)... AND Where do you string your closeline.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Cheers!

I just brought plastic clothesline clips from a dollar store and clipped our wet bathing suits to the backs of our balcony chairs each night to dry. Didn't bother with a clothesline.

I would (if you are female!) bring a nice pair of dressyish black pants, silk-type fabric, and maybe two glittery tops, which fold up really small in your suitcase; that and some black sandals are all you need!

I trust the strength of binder clips more than clothespins to secure beach towels on lounge chairs in windy conditions, but to each his own.

In the past, I've used a small flashlight or penlight to navigate to the bathroom at night, but I think I'll just start using my smartphone.

I find multi-plug extension cords invaluable.

Medium-size ziplock bags for any room service leftovers you might want to save for later.

I pack light.

My Nook touch will hold a battery charge for much longer than a cruise.

No night light, just leave the bathroom light on all night.

Nothing hanging around anywhere except in the closet.

No personal items left out, give the stewards room to do their job.

A second camera battery, which is charged during the night.

If you must have a hamper, take an old pillow case and clip it to a hanger in the closet.

I would rather do without, or make do, than haul a lot of junk.

I have heard that instead of night stands with drawers, there are only small shelves next to the bed on S class ships. :( What do you folks do? What size are the shelves? I wouldn't mind bringing along one or two small trays or containers to hold the things I want in the night, like a paperback, book, reading glasses, etc.

I have heard that instead of night stands with drawers, there are only small shelves next to the bed on S class ships. :( What do you folks do? What size are the shelves? I wouldn't mind bringing along one or two small trays or containers to hold the things I want in the night, like a paperback, book, reading glasses, etc.

You heard right. I just put what I needed on the table top and pitched the books and my clip board with puzzles in the opening. It wasn't an ideal solution I have to admit.

Husband has a "tray" that packs flat but snaps up to form edges which is what he used.

Tucker in Texas

Hi CrabbyHarper, we are on the same cruise in November. I would say the bed side stand is 6" x 10" or 7" x 11". There are 3 shelves on each stand. We move the phone to the middle shelf on the one stand and put our flip flops on the bottom shelves because the bottom shelf sits right at the floor. I usually take one rubbermaid container for each us to use by our bed on the top shelf. While in transit I nest them and put something is the top ones empty space. When I get on the ship I remove the contents and use the containers by the bed. A tray with sides would work nicely too. Anything that would keep things in place would work.

Mary

With all the complaints about those night stands, it would seem only reasonable for Celebrity to retrofit them with drawers (similar to those on the M-class ships) and redesign the night stands for the new S-class ships and any future ship categories.

At the least they should provide containers or boxes on board to fit the spaces so that passengers do not need to bring their own.

Miched- you mentioned matches for candles in case the power goes out- I'd never considered this, but I LOVE to burn candles,... it makes me happy :) Is this allowed on the ships?? If so, I'm really a happy girl :)

Miched- you mentioned matches for candles in case the power goes out- I'd never considered this, but I LOVE to burn candles,... it makes me happy :) Is this allowed on the ships?? If so, I'm really a happy girl :)

Definitely not! Try some of the battery-operated candles for ambiance. I also take a plug-in air freshener.

Do NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT burning candles! A ship is a MOVING vessel (that rocks and rolls) and a lit candle could easily slide and catch fire to its surroundings! :eek: Big NO-NO!

Okay- I'm clear on the NO NO's now :) I figured that was the case, but someone mentioned.... I think I will check out some flameless options though- it'll make it a little more homey I think. Also, I'm a relative newbie and will travel solo this trip, so I'm looking forward to meeting some folks *10/8 out of Miami on Millie* and being selfish for almost a week~ yeah!!! leaving the hubby, kids and elderly parent at home for a while... loving all the organizational tips! Thanks!!

is there any drawer space at all on S class ships?? the lack of drawers makes a big difference on how one packs, doesn't it? I might have to hang my undies and bras in the closet??!! I can't climb on the bed, so what's one to do???

is there any drawer space at all on S class ships?? the lack of drawers makes a big difference on how one packs, doesn't it? I might have to hang my undies and bras in the closet??!! I can't climb on the bed, so what's one to do???

There are some small drawers and there is also the large cabinet over the bed.

Archived