cell phone usage in Alaska ports

ready2travel54

Most, if not all, US cell plans include coverage in all 50 states, including Alaska.
Right. Check your plan to make sure it includes long-distance US calling. Your data plan, if you have one, will be fine to use in Alaska.

We have AT&T and it was wonderful. The connections were even better than in our ittle town at home. I couldn't believe I was talking with friends from Denali. Make sure you don't use it in Canada = costly

We have AT&T and it was wonderful. The connections were even better than in our ittle town at home. I couldn't believe I was talking with friends from Denali. Make sure you don't use it in Canada = costly

Att and Dobson provide the main services in Alaska. T-mobile and Verizon nationwide plans will be fine. Last I checked Sprint didn't work there but that may have changed in the last 2 years.

Just returned and I have sprint. Cell phone coverage was great in the towns. Sprint International added Canadian coverage for the dates we were there for $2.99. Also, they told me not to use my phone while in port on the ship. I could rack up extra roaming charges.

Otherwise I had no problems using my cell phone.

I had AT&T and used my phone all the time while in Alaska, even while on the ship while in port, with no extra charges. It was so nice to be able to talk with my family and not worry about sending e-mails. Last year when we did Canada/New England I also used my phone several times while in port from the ship.

YMMV, coverage for some carriers are piss poor, others great.

As others have said check the fine print of your carrier too :D

I will not use my cell while out to sea. However, if the ship is docked in port can you use your cell without running up the high charges?

We're on Verizon and used it all the Alaskan ports, at the lodges and in Fairbanks. As well as on our balcony in port. No problem, no extra charges. We kept it to texting in Vancouver and ran up only a couple of bucks.

Be sure to do a software update just before your trip, however.

What I was trying to find out if when you are docked, but not off the ship what would the charges be.

We have Verizon and they said $2.49 a minute. His suggestion was to make sure when you are off the ship not to be too close to it , so that you don't get that higher charge.

We have AT&T and it was the same for us!:)

I think the ship may turn off its satelite connection when the cell towers in the ports are accessible. We were never charged when calling from in port. Check your screen when you are at sea and you will see that the roaming connection is something you have probably never seen before (I can't remember what it is though). When in port your screen will report connection to your network I believe.

What I was trying to find out if when you are docked, but not off the ship what would the charges be.

We have Verizon and they said $2.49 a minute. His suggestion was to make sure when you are off the ship not to be too close to it , so that you don't get that higher charge.

I have a feeling they are REQUIRED by statute to disable the onboard cell tower at some point before they get into port.

Since a phone user has little control over what tower picks up their call....Can you imagine the outrage that would ensue if a local resident accidentally connected through the cruise ship cell tower, and got charged the higher "international" rate? :eek:

Added: "farsight" beat me to the idea....

I think the ship may turn off its satelite connection when the cell towers in the ports are accessible. We were never charged when calling from in port. Check your screen when you are at sea and you will see that the roaming connection is something you have probably never seen before (I can't remember what it is though). When in port your screen will report connection to your network I believe.

I was very surprised but I only noticed Cell@Sea being online once during our recent cruise (I don't remember which day...). I had excellent AT&T coverage throughout much of the cruise from my balcony (even after we'd sailed away from the ports I'd have signal for a fair amount of time or pick up signal from the next town over etc).

I was recently burned by the ship's maritime cell service while in port. Significant charges when I thought I was connected to local cell provider.

Be careful as to what carrier shows up on your phone.

Princess should disable their cell service while in port and in range of local carriers.

The only time I really want to be able to use our att phone is at the airport in Vancouver in case there is a problem with flights, etc, like calling the Princess enroute number. I guess we would just have to incur the $$ to use the phone from that location. Any thoughts on options???

Check with your provider. I know Verizon can set your phone up for Canada with a cost of $.69 per minute. ATT probably has something similar.

Archived