Persian Garden vs Solarium on Solstice?

Xtchr

Where's the best place for a group of 6 to find lounges together? We never have any luck around the pools because we are not early morning risers! And there's always those people who run out early and put books, shoes, etc. on the lounges and then disappear for hours on end. Not having been on Solstice before, we're wondering what's the difference between the Solarium and Persian Garden location on the Resort Deck #15. On deck plan, it looks like there are lounges in both places? Is one under cover, and one open air? And what's the Spa Veranda, listed on the deck plan? Open air space for sunning?

Hi Xtchr,

I found info on this particular difficult to find when I first begun my research on the Solstice.

So this tid-bit might prove helpful...

The Persian Garden off the Spa Area is a pay-as-you go facility (or included if you are in Aqua Class).

I found there isn't a lot of info or an accurate description for this area... although it looks like that is changing with this new LuXury Campaign recently begun by Celebrity.

For example here is the photo they are currently running in Travel Mags this month...

It pretty much is self explanatory.

http://www.cruises.co.uk/gallery/files/4/solstice-persian-gardens-3.jpg

So not your regular lounging situation.

The Solarium is somewhat sheltered (glass roof) and an ALL ADULT venue. Looks great in photos I've seen. There is no extra charge to use this area.

http://www.cruiseweb.com/celebrity-imagelibrary/ship-solstice/600x400-CelebritySolstice-Solarium1.jpg

As for the regular pool area... it is my understanding that Celebrity has been taking more action in the last few months against "chair hogs"... by leaving placecards on chairs left vacant by "mystery users"

There are definitely threads here on the Celebrity Cruises Board on that topic.

Cheers!

The Persian Garden is a totally enclosed tiled room. Not really a place that you would want to hang out in. It is also meant to be a quiet, relaxation room.

The Solarium is a small adult only pool area that is semi sheltered. I think the reason for being an adult area is for people that want a quieter pool area without kids splashing and making noise.

If you want to hang out there are many places around the upper decks that are available but not next to the pool. Don't know why people need to be lined up along the pool just to lay in a lounge chair. The majority never use the pool so why do they have to be on top of it?

The Persian Garden is a totally enclosed tiled room. Not really a place that you would want to hang out in. It is also meant to be a quiet, relaxation room.

The Solarium is a small adult only pool area that is semi sheltered. I think the reason for being an adult area is for people that want a quieter pool area without kids splashing and making noise.

If you want to hang out there are many places around the upper decks that are available but not next to the pool. Don't know why people need to be lined up along the pool just to lay in a lounge chair. The majority never use the pool so why do they have to be on top of it?

Definitely Solarium, Persian garden is really a small room and as said earlier not conducive as a place where you would meet and talk. Persian gardens doesn't have lounges and is only accessible if you are Aqua Class or you pay for it. It really is meant to be quiet and others would definitely object. The Solarium is my favorite place as there are many lounges which are more comfortable than at the pool area. A great place to meet and adjacent to the Aqua Spa cafe.

Thanks so much for the info and pics. Sounds like it's the Solarium for our group! And what does the placard say? "Where are you? " or "You just lost your chair to others!"

Celebrity should pick up the belongings after a half hour and put them in "Lost and Found" and let the chair hogs claim their belongings when they return in an hour or more!

We don't like the outside pool areas anyway, as it's always too noisy with loud steel band music, etc. playing or crazy, loud games going on! That's more for the younger crowd, and I don't begrudge them the fun....it's just that we're getting old and want some peace and quiet and relaxation! That's what's so great about cruising .. something different for everyone. You just have to find it! Thanks again! Re the Persian Gardens..did you say you could "pay" to use that facility if you're not in Aqua class? How much?

Thanks so much for the info and pics. Sounds like it's the Solarium for our group! And what does the placard say? "Where are you? " or "You just lost your chair to others!"

Celebrity should pick up the belongings after a half hour and put them in "Lost and Found" and let the chair hogs claim their belongings when they return in an hour or more!

We don't like the outside pool areas anyway, as it's always too noisy with loud steel band music, etc. playing or crazy, loud games going on! That's more for the younger crowd, and I don't begrudge them the fun....it's just that we're getting old and want some peace and quiet and relaxation! That's what's so great about cruising .. something different for everyone. You just have to find it! Thanks again! Re the Persian Gardens..did you say you could "pay" to use that facility if you're not in Aqua class? How much?

You should enjoy the Solarium, I am a Melanoma patient and avoid the sun. It is quiet, no children and the pool is right there if you want to hop in.

We don't like the outside pool areas anyway, as it's always too noisy with loud steel band music, etc. playing or crazy, loud games going on! That's more for the younger crowd, and I don't begrudge them the fun....it's just that we're getting old and want some peace and quiet and relaxation! Thanks again!

Prior cruises must have been on Carnival? It's not generally loud at the Celebrity pools. The loudest I've ever seen is when people cheer for their team at the officers versus guests pool volleyball game!

Definitely Solarium, Persian garden is really a small room and as said earlier not conducive as a place where you would meet and talk. Persian gardens doesn't have lounges and is only accessible if you are Aqua Class or you pay for it. It really is meant to be quiet and others would definitely object. The Solarium is my favorite place as there are many lounges which are more comfortable than at the pool area. A great place to meet and adjacent to the Aqua Spa cafe.

Agree strongly the above comments, plus others by Helen, etc., on why the Solarium is so nice and wonderful. Very relaxing, roomy, food nearby, etc. It is also close and handy to the front elevators, which was nearby to our room location. Lots of great reason to love this area of the ship. Below is one of my photos taken with a wide angle lens to give you a better idea (and proof/evidence) that it is as good as we have said.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 24,563 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 47,375 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

The Solarium was one of our favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this sparkling ship facility.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

Hi Xtchr,

Glad I could help.

I am new to Celebrity… and new to cruising… so I’ve been doing a lot of research / reading recently…

Sadly, I can’t find the info on Persian Garden on the Celebrity Website today… they have been undergoing a revision to the website, and things are a bit messed up right now (lol, no kidding). :rolleyes:

If memory serves me right, I believe that the cost to use the Persian Garden (and the Steam Room / Sauna? area) was listed earlier this month on their website at $ 20 or $ 25 or so for a half day (Morning or Afternoon… think it was 8 to Noon and 1 to 5 PM). I seem to recall they also had a Package Deal, where you could purchase access to these services for the entire length of one’s cruise as well.

And of course, if one was in an Aqua Class Stateroom, then there was no additional charges to use this part of the ship.

Something of note… One thing that most people don’t realize is there is no additional charge to eat at the Aqua Spa Café… which offers healthier fare and is in a more quiet location on the ship.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

--- --- ---

TO TLC OHIO,

I know I've said it before... but your pics truly are stunning (magazine quality if I may say so)... this one in particular of The Solarium... every time you post it I get all warm and fuzzy thinking what it will be like to be there on a "hot" January day...

:):):)

(lol, you are from COLUMBUS... so I am sure you understand). ;)

Cheers!

Is the solarium totally covered? From the pictures, it's not clear. Looks like people sitting in the sun would get a patterend sunburn.

Yes, totally covered - but tons of windows so it receives a lot of natural light during the daytime.

Is the solarium totally covered? From the pictures, it's not clear. Looks like people sitting in the sun would get a patterend sunburn.

SloopJohnB: TO TLC OHIO' date=' I know I've said it before... but [b']your pics truly are stunning (magazine quality[/b] if I may say so)... this one in particular of The Solarium... every time you post it I get all warm and fuzzy thinking what it will be like to be there on a "hot" January day... (lol, you are from COLUMBUS... so I am sure you understand)

On the question about the Solarium being covered in glass, YES, is the quick answer. As you see, however, from the photo below, much of that glass are actually a type of solar electric cells. In addition, it is my sense, given the sophisticated design of this ship and the recent technologies developed for large glass areas, that very good screens have been applied and used to limit to a minimum the harmful aspects of the rays and heat gain entering this area. I was in or passing through this space on a daily or more basis. I never sense any heat gain or other problems. It was pretty amazing. What they can do with glass is significant these days. In the earlier picture from the inside, you see how those solar energy elements cover much of that roof area.

Appreciate the very kind comments on my pictures from our Canada neighbor. YES, sun is great and good in January when we in the north really need it.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Here is some more detail on the glass roof covering the Solarium. It is glass, but a large portion of that open area are solar cells that are used to produce electricity.:

SolariumRoofTop.jpg

Persian gardens doesn't have lounges and is only accessible if you are Aqua Class or you pay for it. It really is meant to be quiet and others would definitely object. .

The Persian Gardens has what looks like loungers - as the photo link shows - but these are hard, tiled, solid surfaces, not so different than what you would find on the walls or floor of a shower room. They are sculpted in a shape of a lounger, but I never thought they were very comfortable. On some ships these types of 'loungers' are heated.

The Persian Gardens has what looks like loungers - as the photo link shows - but these are hard, tiled, solid surfaces, not so different than what you would find on the walls or floor of a shower room. They are sculpted in a shape of a lounger, but I never thought they were very comfortable. On some ships these types of 'loungers' are heated.

Yes, I have been there on several occasions. I think the OP was looking at the loungers that are near the pool area but you are correct, I guess just a matter of symatics on what to call them.

I was surprised how quiet the Solstice Deck (16) at the front of the ship was. There are loungers/day beds and chairs up there. It can be a bit windy, but often wasn't and it's a lovely spot since it's a small deck. There are also loungers one deck down right at the front of the ship, which is a lovely view. Go exploring, I imagine each cruise is different depending on how many people find these spots.

To the OP

most of your questions have been answered, and good suggestions made about the Solarium and Deck 16, but no one has specifically addressed this obvious issue:

Where's the best place for a group of 6 to find lounges together? Not having been on Solstice before, we're wondering what's the difference between the Solarium and Persian Garden location on the Resort Deck #15.

Not only is the PG a quiet place, but there are only about 8 loungers TOTAL in the whole room to begin with!!! So, clearly, even a group of 6 quiet people would not be accommodated in the PG.

Archived