Speedos - Square Cut & Trunks - Oh My!

Mermen

Any other gay cruisers on board?

I am arriving on Oct 20 and staying in Civitavecchia for 2 nights until boarding on Saturday the 22.

Since I am traveling solo I would like to find somebody to share the ride from the airport to Civitavecchina on the 20th. Otherwise I'm stuck shlepping my luggage on the train.

Any other gay cruisers on board?

I am arriving on Oct 20 and staying in Civitavecchia for 2 nights until boarding on Saturday the 22.

Since I am traveling solo I would like to find somebody to share the ride from the airport to Civitavecchina on the 20th. Otherwise I'm stuck shlepping my luggage on the train.

Depending on where your hotel is (there are several very good ones right beside the train station) it is a very civilised way to travel. The train cars have areas for luggage. When in Europe we almost always use the train system from the airports. Money saved for cocktails later :D

Your article makes me want to remember to bring several thongs to wear on my next cruise. Shocking people is one way to quickly see who you might not want to befriend.

Women who comment negatively may be 'protecting' their husbands from temptation. heh heh! :D

LOL, never thought about that...but that could explain everything! hehe. :)

...we think Speedos are sexy and if we were smaller and younger men we probably would wear them,,,,,,but, we went to Little Beach in Maui and enjoyed the nonjudgemental world . It was wonderful,,,all shapes and sizes,,,and no one cared, no one stared and shook their heads,,,

...we think Speedos are sexy and if we were smaller and younger men we probably would wear them,,,,,,but, we went to Little Beach in Maui and enjoyed the nonjudgemental world . It was wonderful,,,all shapes and sizes,,,and no one cared, no one stared and shook their heads,,,

Good for You and that's the way it should be!

And don't forget that some of those women are no less obese then the men that are pointed out to be disgusting...but still no comments for them...

A woman can wear two postage stamps and a piece of dental floss and be OK but any man in a speedo is gross, disgusting and a pervert.

• 2 weeks later...
Styles change every few years even in America. Look back at those old Giget films. The normal swimsuit for guys in America was speedos and tight square cuts. Back then, they would have looked at board shorts as crazy and weird.

Except the styles arent changing fast enougth.. By the time Speedos become the "norm" again. I will be to old to look good wearing them.. BTW. Im American and I wear them still, Been doing so since the mid 1980s.

Why does a guy have to cover up after getting up from his lounger to walk the Lido, but yet a women fat or slim can walk anywhere around the ship in a bikini even at the food line?...

Originally Posted by soldham viewpost.gif

Nope - would not confuse the two - thinking more about the Aussie lifeguards......does Austria even have a major body of water? :p

Yes, its called the Ocean that surrounds it..LOL

I believe Austria is landlocked... Australia is surrounded by ocean. ;)

OK Peter - now you are making me look dumb ;)

I am quite aware that Austria is landlocked but that does not neccessarily mean they do not have a major body of water within their borders.

No, the post after yours was the one that got me going. ;)

Ive been to Austria I was at a town that had a very large lake "StWoulfgang" I belive is where Sound of Music was filmed. Im sure you wont see any speedos there since the water will be to cold as well as the weather to wear one. Its way up in the Mountains.

People in the US wear Speedos (you can can them sold at most major retail stores in the US) although it's not considered the norm for most men in the US which prefer trunk style or board shorts. However, it's quite the opposite for most (but not all) US gay men to wear bikini type swim ware especially at the beach. There will be no issues for wearing Speedos on your cruise and you do not need to buy a new bathing suits. Most Americans could care less, but there's always a few prudish/conservative people that find it too sexy for their taste and like to write about here on Cruisecritic.

Would totally agree. I am sure there are Europeans that don't like speedos either. They were very popular in the states many years ago, and now less so. It's more a matter of style than covering up the male form. The vast majority don't care what you wear, but if you are in the minority when you are in a speedo,perhaps it is one's own self-consciousness that makes one defensive about their choice in fashion. Be who you are, but more importantly, be comfortable with who you are and people will respect that.

There was a French couple on a snorkel excursione I took last year. Both were in excellent shape but were wearing trunks. I was so disappointed. But once we were underway they peeled off the trunks which were actually shorts, revealing the Speedos I thought I'd never get to see them in. Yes, there is a God! My real point is those guys knew when it was appropriate to have their junk showing and when it wasn't. P.S. By the end of the cruise one of them came down with a severe cold. That'll teach him!

I've been a speedo lover since my teen years. In fact, I like men's bikini swimwear so much that I learned to make it myself, formed my own swimwear company, and ran the business for several years. It was fairly successful until the economy crash.

My partner and I went on a Princess Caribbean cruise for our 20th anniversary last April and, as always, I packed my speedos. However, I was having second thoughts on the first day of the cruise when I realized that I would be the only guy on board not wearing board shorts.

I workout regularly, felt like I was in pretty good shape, and decided to go ahead and wear my speedos. I wore them at the pools and all over the upper decks, even in the sauna & steam room (though most guys wear a towel or nothing at all). I was completely comfortable and never even noticed if anyone was looking or commenting. I was also the only guy on our Helmet Diving excursion in a speedo (wore shorts over them going/returning).

One rather unusual thing...they had a 'sexiest man' contest poolside one afternoon. One of the competitors (all very fit) pulled off his board shorts revealing a well-packed squarecut swimsuit. He was anything but shy dancing around the pool. Though he seemed very 'straight-acting' at all other times during the cruise, I guess the suit and/or behavior put off the straight female judges and he was not selected as the winner. I found the whole situation very interesting.....and enjoyable.

Ive been to Austria I was at a town that had a very large lake "StWoulfgang" I belive is where Sound of Music was filmed. Im sure you wont see any speedos there since the water will be to cold as well as the weather to wear one. Its way up in the Mountains.

hi david !

greetings from Austria

i life half an hour from St.Wolfgang away...

and yes most of the people wearing speedos there !

greeting from europe

trevor

• 2 weeks later...
I've been a speedo lover since my teen years. In fact, I like men's bikini swimwear so much that I learned to make it myself, formed my own swimwear company, and ran the business for several years. It was fairly successful until the economy crash.

My partner and I went on a Princess Caribbean cruise for our 20th anniversary last April and, as always, I packed my speedos. However, I was having second thoughts on the first day of the cruise when I realized that I would be the only guy on board not wearing board shorts.

I workout regularly, felt like I was in pretty good shape, and decided to go ahead and wear my speedos. I wore them at the pools and all over the upper decks, even in the sauna & steam room (though most guys wear a towel or nothing at all). I was completely comfortable and never even noticed if anyone was looking or commenting. I was also the only guy on our Helmet Diving excursion in a speedo (wore shorts over them going/returning).

One rather unusual thing...they had a 'sexiest man' contest poolside one afternoon. One of the competitors (all very fit) pulled off his board shorts revealing a well-packed squarecut swimsuit. He was anything but shy dancing around the pool. Though he seemed very 'straight-acting' at all other times during the cruise, I guess the suit and/or behavior put off the straight female judges and he was not selected as the winner. I found the whole situation very interesting.....and enjoyable.

Im also the only guy that wears them as well on ships. Just remember, unless you take a all gay cruise, your going to be the only one in a speedo. Usually on the larger ships, you may see a couple guys in speedos sitting out on a remote upper deck away from allot of people. Its sad that everybody Has to copy what everybody else wears. Just be yourself and wear what you want.. I do.

hi david !

greetings from Austria

i life half an hour from St.Wolfgang away...

and yes most of the people wearing speedos there !

greeting from europe

trevor

You live in a beautiful country. I was there May 1989 while in Navy. I took a 2 day trip up there on a charter bus from Treste Italy. Ride was breath taking.

Archived