Speedos - Square Cut & Trunks - Oh My!

Mermen

Good to see others in KC like speedo's and square cuts. going on a 12/22 Brillance of the seas and glad to know its ok to wear them onboard and on the beaches.

its ok to wear them, just that you will find that you or maybie 1 other person wearing them on a ship with thousands of people. I wear them all time and i can care less what others think. I look better then some women wearing what they wear.

As a european I find this discussion strange.

In europe all mens swimwear are of the speedo type, and for example in my country you cannot enter a public swimmingpool with shorts, it is actually forbidden to swim in pools with anything else than the speedo type of swimwear. ( and don't ask me why, I don't know)

In europe all mens swimwear are of the speedo type, and for example in my country you cannot enter a public swimmingpool with shorts, it is actually forbidden to swim in pools with anything else than the speedo type of swimwear. ( and don't ask me why, I don't know)

I've heard of that and read a little about it. I believe it is considered cleaner to wear speedos for swimming. Supposedly shorts get sweaty and dirty....at least that's what I've read. I'm not sure I agree with the logic, but I like the concept. :D

I've heard of that and read a little about it. I believe it is considered cleaner to wear speedos for swimming. Supposedly shorts get sweaty and dirty....at least that's what I've read. I'm not sure I agree with the logic, but I like the concept. :D

Surely it has something to do with hygiene. my american friends came over last year and they were not let in with their bermuda shorts at the spa. They were forced to borrow a pair of speedos. Lol

Nude is even better ;)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Thanks Boytjie! I'm looking forward to a good caribbean Cruise.

I have always been fascinated of cruise ships. i used to live next to a shipyard building most of the Carnival and RCCL ships.

Be warned: it can be addictive! We did our first cruise in 2007 and have done 8 so far (all execet one were RSVP)

And FYI, RSVP cruises have a clothing optional sundeck ;)

I think that is a matter of personal preference. I think a well-built guy is MUCH hotter in a speedo than in nothing at all. :cool:

My comment was more related to the hygiene comments. :) But as for looks: nude/clothed it's all a matter of opinion/preference ;) Then there is the other issue of just liking to be naked (not everywhere, for me)

You must understand that the Puritans had a big hand in founding the US and we have been plagued by them ever since. :rolleyes:

It is a matter of hygene to require speedo type suits. Clothing such as knee length swim suits can harbor a lot of dust, dirt, germs, etc. that pollute the water. In days gone by in the US where swimming pools were in a closed room, the pool was segregated by sex and bathers were not allowed to wear any suit (nude) and were required to shower before entering the pool.

Being a native of the US, the clothes item called a swim suit that comes down to the knees is rediculous. Just as rediculous as so called shorts that come below the knees and look like a pair of pants some teen ager wore when their growth spurt kicked in and the pants were too short.

... the clothes item called a swim suit that comes down to the knees is rediculous. Just as rediculous as so called shorts that come below the knees and look like a pair of pants some teen ager wore when their growth spurt kicked in and the pants were too short.

My partner and I definitely agree with you on this. It's so funny to see young guys in "shorts" thinking they look cool, when in actuality they look silly because they're walking around wearing Capri pants :o , LOL.

I suspect when these guys get older, they'll still be wearing these while their sons are wearing speedos and short shorts making fun of the old guys in their "shorts".

I second that! Looking forward to Little Beach in Maui on our next cruise. Too bad clothing optional wasn't allowed...for men at least.

Little Beach on Maui is great. even better if you are there on the last Sunday of the month. :)

I assume the comment about no nudity for men was on the ship (NCL?)

its ok to wear them, just that you will find that you or maybie 1 other person wearing them on a ship with thousands of people. I wear them all time and i can care less what others think. I look better then some women wearing what they wear.

Spandex on the wrong person can contribute to blindness!

Little Beach on Maui is great. even better if you are there on the last Sunday of the month. :)

I assume the comment about no nudity for men was on the ship (NCL?)

Yes, nudity for men on the ship.

I used to live in Waiehu and would hit Little Beach on my days off and the last Sunday. Loved the Paiea crowd with the guitars, brownies...LOL. Good times. Just the gawkers up on the bluff I wanted to throw rocks at.

Have been wearing them since I was a kid...now in my 50's & still wearing them...I try to keep myself in shape.....

Saying that a couple of years a go I was on the beach at Montauk NY....long stretch of beach w/ not many people ....ahead I see a man & women - he in black speedo type suite - she in black bikini and very large straw floppy hat......

as I pass by I see its Ricki & Ralph Lauren....they too have a home there....I don't know Ralph Lauren's age - but I must admit he did look good...he wore the suit - it did not wear him...(ok - she looked great too & the drama w/ the hat was faboo).

I am not a RL fan(clothing line or himself) but give credit when credit is due.....

Either way I love my Euro men onboard wearing their speedos.....yummy!!!!

Yes, nudity for men on the ship.

Not an issue on a RSVP cuise :D

I used to live in Waiehu and would hit Little Beach on my days off and the last Sunday. Loved the Paiea crowd with the guitars, brownies...LOL. Good times. Just the gawkers up on the bluff I wanted to throw rocks at.

And the drum circle... Oh, the brownies! yeah, well...

We were lucky: the RSVP Hawaii cruise in 2010 was in Maui on the last Sunday, Halloween. Nothing spooky happened on the beach. :)

Not an issue on a RSVP cuise :D

And the drum circle... Oh, the brownies! yeah, well...

We were lucky: the RSVP Hawaii cruise in 2010 was in Maui on the last Sunday, Halloween. Nothing spooky happened on the beach. :)

:D interesting, we'll be ovenighting in Lahaina October 30 and 31. I think my only costume will be a sarong that day...er, at least on Makena.

• 2 months later...

We have ANOTHER one of these threads that I'm part of on the Celebrity board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1758674

I come across those same comments you mention and they just make me cringe with disgust for the person who made the comment. It's probably a safe bet too, that the people making those negative comments are the same ones who probably look bad in their own swimsuits. And I also agree that it's usually someone from the USA who is making those comments. Let's face it, people here have been brainwashed into thinking that anything that even remotely hints at displaying the male genitalia is an evil sinful thing. It boggles my mind how it's ok for a female to wear a thong bottom and a barely-there top and no one hardly bats an eye. Why a pair of barely covered female breasts is more acceptable than a covered p3nis is beyond me. I have been running into similar negativity, arguments, and comments in another post I made about Clothing Optional sundecks as well as hanging out on my stateroom balcony au naturel. Europeans don't have a problem with the nudity. Americans are ready to cast me down for my choice to go au naturel. Dang sheeple!

Archived