High End Fashion without the $$$ Commitment??

You make it sound like if you are overweight than you are poor? Not true. Why is being the average American size considered overweight? Why isn't the market trending to the average American?

Because they are overweight... period. I'm in a 12/14 and those tiny little couture dresses are not designed for me. I am confident enough in who I am to admit it. The people who do wear those sizes are either petite (an overweight woman that is 5'3 can still fit into those sizes) or spend a lot of time on being thin to fit into those sizes. It's all a vanity thing. I don't want to spend that much time focusing on looking perfect and being super fashionable... but then I spend my money at Coldwater Creek instead of those stores because I know the place I choose to be.

IMHO, if you are a larger size you have no business wearing a slinky show off everything type dress that was designed for a size 2. Odds are the size 12/14/16 is not muscular and does have some rolls on their body, I know I do and I'm 5'7 in a size 12 dress. The average height for a woman in the US is 5'4... so one my size in terms of equal body weight proportions would probably be in an 6/8.

Edited by sherilyn70

I will apologize , my phrasing was wrong. And I used to sell 0's and up. And I think there are two thoughts on sizing. Many people obsess about size not how they look. I say many small women who looked great and some I thought were starving themselves to be small. Size is as much about frame as it is about weight . When my BFF was a 2/3 she often shopped in jr's for stuff. I was so happy when she got out of that relationship and gained weight. I rem bring a girl a size 2 and she cryed because she was so fat. So there are weight images at all sizes. And the size 2 model sets a unreal expectation . The average person can not pull off being a size 2 and people think that they have to be the same size as the model. no one should be ashamed of there size. They should embrace it and make the most of it. People try to put everyone in the cookie cutter image and it is unfair to all. Very few people will ever have the models body.

We just really need something better than "real" to decribe it :p

The people who do wear those sizes are either petite (an overweight woman that is 5'3 can still fit into those sizes) or spend a lot of time on being thin to fit into those sizes.

Nah, some people are just naturally thin. I know plenty of people who eat like a horse, but never gain a pound. High metabolisms and good genes, I guess.

Size isn't only about height and weight. It is also about body proportion. My waist has always been large in proportion to my hips. I am pretty much straight up and down. If it fits in the waist, I have to have the hips taken in. Occasionally, I can find a designer who cuts for my figure which is the opposite of most women. It always annoys me who someone who is much heavier than me by 20 lbs or so can take the same size because she has a little waist.

Also sizes have changed in the past 40 years. When I was 112 lbs. and 5'6", I took a size 12. At 123-125, I take a size 10-12. When I weighed 118-122, I wore size 8-10. The smallest size years ago was 8 or 6. Sizes like 4, 2 and 0 did not exit. This has been confirmed in a magazine, but don't remember which one.

Size isn't only about height and weight. It is also about body proportion. My waist has always been large in proportion to my hips. I am pretty much straight up and down. If it fits in the waist, I have to have the hips taken in. Occasionally, I can find a designer who cuts for my figure which is the opposite of most women. It always annoys me who someone who is much heavier than me by 20 lbs or so can take the same size because she has a little waist.

Also sizes have changed in the past 40 years. When I was 112 lbs. and 5'6", I took a size 12. At 123-125, I take a size 10-12. When I weighed 118-122, I wore size 8-10. The smallest size years ago was 8 or 6. Sizes like 4, 2 and 0 did not exit. This has been confirmed in a magazine, but don't remember which one.

I know this is off-topic to dress rental, but I have the same body type! Would you share any designer that you have found that is your go-to for being able to fit?

On-topic, this is the reason why I don't think I could rent a dress because, unlike the men's tuxes which usually come with an alteration, it appears that you have to fit into these rental dresses without alterations. Am I correct about this? I have the same issue with my waist NOT being 10" smaller than my hips, for goodness' sake. Look at any size chart and it makes me crazy; if I fit into my waist measurement, the hips fit shows at least 4" bigger than I am... conversely, if I fit into my hips measurement, the wasit is usually 2" smaller than I am, at least. It's absolutely maddening.

Yes, I exercise, ZUMBA! Which is probably why my hips and my ribcage have actually gotten even smaller in relationship to my waist.

I know this is off-topic to dress rental, but I have the same body type! Would you share any designer that you have found that is your go-to for being able to fit?

On-topic, this is the reason why I don't think I could rent a dress because, unlike the men's tuxes which usually come with an alteration, it appears that you have to fit into these rental dresses without alterations. Am I correct about this? I have the same issue with my waist NOT being 10" smaller than my hips, for goodness' sake. Look at any size chart and it makes me crazy; if I fit into my waist measurement, the hips fit shows at least 4" bigger than I am... conversely, if I fit into my hips measurement, the wasit is usually 2" smaller than I am, at least. It's absolutely maddening.

Yes, I exercise, ZUMBA! Which is probably why my hips and my ribcage have actually gotten even smaller in relationship to my waist.

I formerly shopped at the local Escada outlet. However they had financial problems, closed their store and have now reopened. They have a new designer so am not sure if they are using the same fit model. I was able to get into thier size 40 (10) jeans, but they had quite a bit of stretch. I found in general that clothes bought in Germany & Switzerland fit me best whereas French and Italian designers cut for a curvier body. I also have taken the advice of Clinton & Stacy on "What Not To Wear" and have bought tops and dresses with an Empire waist.

When I first started shopping at Talbots, I had to take a 12 but their size chart has changed and the standard waist is larger in proportion to the hip size so I have gone done to a 10.

Does Zumba help with the tummy? I've exercised over the years, but haven't done much of anything lately as it has never helped.

Amyway, I don't buy pants and skirts from catalogs unless that have a semi-adjustable waist. I refuse to wear pull-on pants. I won't give in yet.

I'm thinking there is a fairly decent size shift in the main brand names. I've been wearing size 14 pants since I hit 185 (I'm 5'7). I had boxes of clothing from years ago down in the basement and a pair of Lee Riders Casual dress pants in a 16 long fit tighter than the size 14 regulars I just bought at Coldwater Creek today. They were both very similar material. The 16s were probably about 10-15 years old.

I have a pair of Ann Taylor pants from 2003 in a size 6. I now wear a 2 from Ann Taylor. When I hold up a size 2 to the 6, the 6 is a little smaller than the 2!

Bridal dressmaker have not adjusted their sizing over the years. I always need a 4/6 as opposed to the 0/2 I wear in normal clothes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

For me, it's called raiding my friend's closet and Goodwill..I don't know the people on the cruise so I could care less what others think..nobody knows but me!

I just stumbled upon a solution for really dressing up and having a ball on our next cruise, without having to shell out a bunch of money for clothes that'll rarely get a repeat evening out. But I'd like to know if any if you have used these sources and what you thought about the experience

Just like the men rent their tuxes, this site allows you to rent high end dresses, handbags, sunglasses and watches. Pretty cool. I'll not post the sites here but if you google "rent the runway" and "rent handbags" you'll find these two sites (the handbag site plays on the beg, borrow or steal name...). They have awesome things that might be fun to rent to make dressing up a little more exciting.

Do any of you have experiences with these sites or others that do the same thing? Care to share your experiences?

• 2 years later...

I use RTR all the time. I could afford to buy designer gowns but for a lot of these events you can only wear them once. I feel like this is more shrewd, convenient, and a smaller ecological footprint. You can also look up how someone of your size looks in that exact dress (people typically submit pics as part of the review). I've made some very different decisions based on those pics (or trying it on in one of their showrooms). That being said. I've never used them for a cruise because it counts as an 8 day rental instead of a 4 day rental which makes it more than I'd like to spend (plus removes much of the convenience).

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

• 1 month later...

Interesting concept. I had never heard of this before and checked out the website. I'm literally shocked to see some of the regular prices of some of these dresses. Specifically because two of the designers I see on the site (Carmen Marc Valvo & Badgley Mischka) both design lines for HSN and deeply discounted price points to what's showing up on the rental site as the original prices - and yes, I realize these aren't the same dresses.

For example, a few weeks ago I bought a Carmen Marc Valvo dress on clearance on HSN for about $30! And just last week I bought Badgley Mischka maxi skirt for only $20 on clearance! Best part, you get to keep them! :)

• 1 year later...

Hi friends! I'm about to take my first cruise in October (honeymoon!) and I am planning to rent a few dresses to bring along, especially for the formal nights. My question for you all is if there is any opportunity on the ship or at the ports to drop off the dress in a UPS box for return (I guess it might depend on the port- we are stopping at St Thomas and St Maarten). Or maybe someone like a concierge you can pay to take care of it for you. I'd like to avoid having to rent the dress for the entire duration, if possible.

Just wondering if anyone has done this with any success! Thanks :)

Edit: Oops!! Sorry, I meant to post this as a new thread!!! *facepalm* Can't figure out how to delete this, hopefully a moderator can help. Didn't mean to resurrect an old thread :)

Edited by cruisin_gatorgirl
oops!

I'll just stick to the rental side of this discussion and stay away from the "stick" vs "fluffy" conversation ;)

I posted a reply to something cruisin_gatorgirl posted in another forum, but I'll say it here, too.

My hotel has weddings every weekend May-November. It's been a big trend to get lots of boxes from RTR and some men's rental places (not just tuxes, but suits, and trendy jackets and pants) from our guests on Sunday morning after the wedding Saturday night. It is really fun to see a group of 100 or more people sporting wonderful fashions instead of the same old tired suits and cocktail dresses that have been worn at every special occasion for years. Our guests are here many times as destination wedding guests. I think many do the rental thing and put the savings in to getting to the wedding.

I think that these companies will start trying to lure in the cruise crowd - they will have to change their model a little to allow for longer rental at a better price, though (maybe a land vs sea rental…).

Everything and nothing.;):)

No they are not the same dresses. What the designers make for places like HSN usually bear little resemblance to their high end designs. The fabric will be cheaper, there will be none of the fine details, finishing, workmanship and the designs themselves will be simpler. The only thing that is the same is the name.

I have no idea what those two designer's things are like on HSN so I can't speak for them. However, I looked at the Vera Wang's line that Kohl's sells and she should be embarrassed to put her name on it.

Interesting concept. I had never heard of this before and checked out the website. I'm literally shocked to see some of the regular prices of some of these dresses. Specifically because two of the designers I see on the site (Carmen Marc Valvo & Badgley Mischka) both design lines for HSN and deeply discounted price points to what's showing up on the rental site as the original prices - and yes, I realize these aren't the same dresses.

For example, a few weeks ago I bought a Carmen Marc Valvo dress on clearance on HSN for about $30! And just last week I bought Badgley Mischka maxi skirt for only $20 on clearance! Best part, you get to keep them! :)

• 3 weeks later...
What do you mean by the clothes aren't in real sizes?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Must be kind of like purses that aren't real. Even if you buy it at KMart, it is still a real purse. It may not be an authentic designer bag, but it is still a real purse and will hold your junk.

I am not talk about places that focus on Juniors. Juniors sizeing is odd numbers where misses sizing is even . And money has nothing to do with the clothing. With the average American being a 14-16 and a lot of them being successful women. It is more about time and such. You make it sound like if you are overweight than you are poor? Not true. Why is being the average American size considered overweight? Why isn't the market trending to the average American? I will concede that people with more money can afford the fresh foods. People of all sizes come with all income levels. This has nothing to do with that. While I can afford to shop in most stores. ( Do not care for Saks fifth ave, There cloths do not hold up enough to warrant there pricing). I have read many articles on how much money can be made off of plus size women as it is a market that is largely ignored. While I understand it I think that it makes people think that thin is pretty and that they have to be thin and do anything to be thin. In reality they need to be healthy and happy with how there body looks and stop caving into the social pressure and stereotypes.

And by saying poor=fat and rich = thin is just perpetuating a stereotype that is far from true.

You're talking rational and fair, whereas a great deal of high fashion is about being exclusive: Everyone can't afford this. Everyone can't find that on the shelves. Everyone can't fit into this line (literally). By excluding people, it makes the product into something aspirational, something people who are impressed by name brands will covet.

Anyone disgusted?

Going to avoid the whole sizing debate here, but I wanted to chime in that there is a similar site called Gwynnie Bee that does sizes 10-32. They sadly do not have evening dresses but I find the concept really interesting. They do have some really neat dresses and pieces from designers that I never knew existed. Might have to give it a shot for our next cruise.

As I am 5'2 - everything that I purchase (except for my really casual things) has to be altered - there is no renting of evening gowns for me. I've purchased several designer gowns - had them expertly tailored - and will re-wear them on cruises. Nobody except DH and I know that they are being re-worn and who would care if they did as long as they aren't so far past that the style is out? I find any clothing wether less expensive or more - if the fit is improper it will not look good. If you are the rare size and height for the rentals - then you are very lucky - most of us are not.

• 3 months later...
Going to avoid the whole sizing debate here, but I wanted to chime in that there is a similar site called Gwynnie Bee that does sizes 10-32. They sadly do not have evening dresses but I find the concept really interesting. They do have some really neat dresses and pieces from designers that I never knew existed. Might have to give it a shot for our next cruise.

Resurrecting this thread because I've now been a member of Gwynnie Bee for three months. It's like Netflix for clothes and their best selection is in sizes 14 & up. I adore it! I'm a 16-18 size and have a really hard time finding good quality dresses in my size. I mean GOOD quality, not Lane Bryant, most JCP brands. Some friends turned me on to GB and I'm sold. I just went through and picked out some styles that will work well for the cruise (we don't do formal night, but we do dress for dinner/night out each day).

I've had so many good quality pieces, purchased a few (at a deep discount because they are lightly used) and the shopping comes to me! I can't recommend it enough to plus sized women that don't have a good resource for quality clothing.

I know not all you ladies live near upscale resale shops and the rentals may be helpful.On my one HAL cruise ladies wore 20 yr. old tops with shoulder pads and old black poly pants.``If you think you will only wear garment once it may be helpful.I would be curious about costs to send back garments. I just mailed a 2lb. present 200 miles. $8.00. So you may be talking $20-$25. to mail things back. I would look at the better resale shops and have clothing for next cruise.

I would never bring a real purse on a cruise. I know they confiscate fake ones when you get off and would hate to have my real one mistaken for a fake. But I have looked at those sites and find the cloths not to be in real sizes.

Odd- I have never seen anyone having their purse taken away getting on or off a ship, airplane, etc. I know it is illegal to sell counterfeit bags, but last I checked, it was not illegal to possess one. I can't imagine the US Purse Policing Agency standing around examining handbags as passengers disembark.

• 2 weeks later...

This is me. I am build like sponge Bob, square pants:eek:

I was about to post essentially, the same thing. I have used RTR many times and enjoyed the process, the ease of use, etc, but not for cruises or longer vacations because of the 8 day maximum rental period.

Also, I am currently a size 10 and although I would appreciate more of selection of "larger" sizes, I understand that they can only have so big of an inventory, and I too hate the "normal" size moniker. Twenty years ago I was a size 2/4 and believe me, I was just as "normal" then as I am now 😜

I use RTR all the time. I could afford to buy designer gowns but for a lot of these events you can only wear them once. I feel like this is more shrewd, convenient, and a smaller ecological footprint. You can also look up how someone of your size looks in that exact dress (people typically submit pics as part of the review). I've made some very different decisions based on those pics (or trying it on in one of their showrooms). That being said. I've never used them for a cruise because it counts as an 8 day rental instead of a 4 day rental which makes it more than I'd like to spend (plus removes much of the convenience).

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App